• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Nike + Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a lot!!

but I do not use Nike.... I use the one and only thing for a true runner and that is

Asics Kinsei 2
dsc01714.jpg

best running shoes out there! but they are expensive...

kaizoku said:
Do you guys have proper running shoes or just cheap trainers of some kind?

Proper running shoes. You can start off with something cheaper, as you work your way in, but once you get serious about it, you'll want real running shoes. You'll also start to go through the shoes fairly quickly once you put on the miles.

Also, those saying that they use the "best running shoes" or "only thing for true runners" need to back off a bit. While it's nice to have some suggestions, you have to realize that there is no such thing as the perfect pair of running shoes for everyone. The shoes, and the runner's feet, vary greatly, and everyone needs to find the right shoe for themselves. What works for you might not be the right shoe for someone else, and so on. Anyone looking to buy a new pair of shoes needs to go to a good running store, get properly fitted, and try on a variety of styles. They really do vary greatly and offer different things.

Gibbo

kaizoku said:
I'm totally new to 'running' in my spare time so I plan to build up slowly rather than just dive right in, that seems like it would just backfire on me in one way or another. So while its tempting I am gonna try and mentally block out this challenge stuff for now cos there's no way I can compete with the more experienced guys and it'd do me no good in the long run I imagine.

I AM looking to get some actual running shoes as nothing I own right now is really suitable for serious running, but that shouldn't really stop me.

Bigger problem right now is iTunes won't bloody update the site. I'm getting seriously annoyed with this, GOD I hate flash only websites. There's no option on itunes for me to check or change my nikeplus account either. I can't even tell if its trying to sync and failing, or syncing another account or simply ignoring nikeplus altogether. GRAH!!!

Found others with similar problems and a possible fix. Will try it now.

Its pretty much instant. For some reason though, the site keeps crashing on my Firefox. IE seems to work better.

Funny how I actually look foward to runs after this. Planning on doing my first 10k (my first in about 5 years) tomorrow morning. Was 800m from completing it on Wed but kinda gave up before then :(

Gibbo said:
Its pretty much instant. For some reason though, the site keeps crashing on my Firefox. IE seems to work better.

Funny how I actually look foward to runs after this. Planning on doing my first 10k (my first in about 5 years) tomorrow morning. Was 800m from completing it on Wed but kinda gave up before then :(

Nice. Haha I am back at work, but I can't wait to do my running tonight. My program told me to take a break tomorrow. Looks like I am 6 days on and 1 day off.

And I would recommend getting decent shoes. I spent 80 dollars on my pair, which is probably the most I have ever spent on a pair of shoes. :lol Remember you don't necessarily have to get Nikes, you can buy the pouch, string it through your shoelaces, ect.

Awesome idea.
Add me!

Nike+ ID: captscience

I've been running for about a year now. I've gotten myself in pretty good shape and am considering gunning for the NYC Marathon this year.

I was considering a half marathon training run this week but I've caught a crappy cold that has me pretty pissed off at the moment.

Anyone here run a marathon before? I'd love to pick your brain.

captscience said:
Awesome idea.
Add me!

Nike+ ID: captscience

I've been running for about a year now. I've gotten myself in pretty good shape and am considering gunning for the NYC Marathon this year.

I was considering a half marathon training run this week but I've caught a crappy cold that has me pretty pissed off at the moment.

Anyone here run a marathon before? I'd love to pick your brain.

Welcome to the team! I will send you an invite shortly. I haven't run a marathon yet, but my goal is to run in the local White Rock Lake marathon that seems to be pretty significant these days. We will learn together. :)

big_z

kaizoku said:
Do you guys have proper running shoes or just cheap trainers of some kind?

i have a pair of new balance running shoes which cost me about $130. they've been pretty good but over the past year the backs of them have torn open inside the heal. because of that i have to fold over my sock to avoid blistering.

you should invest in some running shoes if you havent. if you run on a decent treadmill you can get away with using cheaper running shoes as the treadmill will take a lot of the impact out of the run.

gigapower

I'm currently running in Asics GEL-3000. Very nice shoes. Go to a speciality running store if you can. The one I go to they film your feet and play it back in slow mo to see your stance and then pick the shoes from there. They wouldn't let me buy the shoes I bought until I ran in them for at least 5 minutes. Great service.

gigapower said:
I'm currently running in Asics GEL-3000. Very nice shoes. Go to a speciality running store if you can. The one I go to they film your feet and play it back in slow mo to see your stance and then pick the shoes from there. They wouldn't let me buy the shoes I bought until I ran in them for at least 5 minutes. Great service.

Damn I will make sure to shop around next time for that kind of service. I sent a PM to a mod, and got the thread renamed to see if we can't attract a few more to the cause.

centracore said:
What do you guys use for iPods with this? I'm torn between the Nano and the Touch. :lol

I'm using a second gen touch. Absolutely love it. I have not used the Nano version though, but I believe we have a few Nano users here.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
centracore said:
What do you guys use for iPods with this? I'm torn between the Nano and the Touch. :lol

the Touch is loads better, you get it built into the system so you get nice menus, settings, display etc. No need for an extra dongle you need to carry around.

only downside is its not as easy to change songs or wear it on your arm cos its a bit bigger and uses a touchscreen so you need to look at what you're pressing. Not really deal breakers for me though, just means I need to be more organised about my playlists - come to think of it trying to change songs on the nano while it was in an armband was a pain in the ass as well.

managed to sync my iPod now, thanks for the help guys. Bit bummed that it only synced my 10 minute walk today though! I still have other workouts on my iPod and iTunes which refuse to sync. Nevermind.

Bii

I plan on purchasing an iPod Nano and the sensor kit at the end of this month. My pair of adidas Dragons should tide me over until I decide to splurge on new shoes. I've also been building up my playlist for my eventual first run for this year. Here's what it looks like so far:

Albums
The Killers "Day & Age"
Kanye West "808s & Heartbreak"

Singles
Jackie Boyz "Clutch"
Kira Willey "Colors"
Carly Commando "Everyday"
Katy Perry "Hot 'N Cold"
Sigur Ros "Saeglopur"
Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire"
John Legend "Green Light"

What's on your playlist(s)?

gigapower

I use the phatty nano, if I was buying today I'd get a 2nd gen Touch no question about it. Also I'm thinking about getting the wrist controller. I hate having to stop and fumble for the nano when wanting to change songs.

Bii said:
I plan on purchasing an iPod Nano and the sensor kit at the end of this month. My pair of adidas Dragons should tide me over until I decide to splurge on new shoes. I've also been building up my playlist for my eventual first run for this year. Here's what it looks like so far:

Albums
The Killers "Day & Age"

Singles
Jackie Boyz "Clutch"
Kira Willey "Colors"
Katy Perry "Hot 'N Cold"
Sigur Ros "Saeglopur"

Great! Just leave your Nike + ID in the thread when you get everything set up. I have been working on my playlist also, here's what I have so far.

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
Holy Diver - Dio
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
All Screwed Up - AC/DC
Are you gonna be my girl - Jet
Baby, Please Don't go - AC/DC
Back in Business - AC/DC
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Boogie Wonderland - Earth Wind & Fire

Bii

*smacks forehead* I completely forgot about Eye of the Tiger and Earth, Wind and Fire. Have to add them to my playlist. I love me some September.

Bii said:
*smacks forehead* I completely forgot about Eye of the Tiger and Earth, Wind and Fire. Have to add them to my playlist. I love me some September.

Yea, I definentaly need to add some more of Earth, Wind and Fire. Great band.

I am a fan of Chicago these days too.

Been going through my music collection and finally rating songs. Anything that I give two stars or below is getting axed. :lol

Bii said:

Albums
The Killers "Day & Age"

Singles
Jackie Boyz "Clutch"
Kira Willey "Colors"
Katy Perry "Hot 'N Cold"
Sigur Ros "Saeglopur"

Nice playlist, I find all of Kanye West's albums good for running, especially Graduation.

I also bought two Nike+ Sport Mixes from iTunes, they are pretty cool aswell and they have coaching regimes built inl.

centracore

For all the people who use their iPod Touch for running, can you recommend a good case or holder? I would prefer to not use an armband one if possible..

centracore said:
For all the people who use their iPod Touch for running, can you recommend a good case or holder? I would prefer to not use an armband one if possible..

Personally I love my Belkin armband.

http://appleipodtouch.blogspot.com/2008/09/belkin-ipod-touch-2g-cases.html

You probably want something that clips to your waist I assume?

Ran 1.45 miles today. It screwed up toward the end, so I had to complete the run in two seperate workouts. However I ran my first mile in 8"22 which is a new personal best. I doubt I will beat that anytime soon. :lol Tomorrow is my off day, and I am glad to have it.

big_z

centracore said:

3rd gen(fatty) nano ftw! touch is nice and all but i want the smallest hardware possible when running. i've dropped it a few times when running too and it's still good as new.

the Touch is loads better, you get it built into the system so you get nice menus, settings, display etc. No need for an extra dongle you need to carry around.

the dongle is very small and the menus are higher res on the touch but otherwise the same.

EDIT: i made a personal 2009 resolution for this month too. you can unlock new shit for your nike-mii lol.

big_z said:
3rd gen(fatty) nano ftw! touch is nice and all but i want the smallest hardware possible when running. i've dropped it a few times when running too and it's still good as new.

the dongle is very small and the menus are higher res on the touch but otherwise the same.

EDIT: i made a personal 2009 resolution for this month too. you can unlock new shit for your nike-mii lol.

Oh really? Let me check it out!

gigapower

big_z said:
Represent!! Its so tiny and light weight I've actually had it fall out of pocket and notice it hanging from the headphones.
big_z said:
I made one too, but its going to be awfully easy to reach...50,000 calories. Just to let you in, I'm fat and want to drop about 60bs. My current daily workout routine is: cardio weight lifting in the AM, light run/walk during lunch, power run in the evening. I'm not out to get bulked up, just have a solid core.

Oh new +Kit acquired and while I was there I also picked up the new In Ear headphones from Apple.

Rayo

Banned
Is there any way I can get Nike+ to work on my 20GB 4th Generation iPod? (black and white LOL)
o9mg5k.png
Or even on a non-ipod product? I don't want an iPod Nano after the trouble my 4th gen has given me since 2004.

Rayo said:
Is there any way I can get Nike+ to work on my 20GB 4th Generation iPod? (black and white LOL)
o9mg5k.png
Or even on a non-ipod product? I don't want an iPod Nano after the trouble my 4th gen has given me since 2004.

Sadly no. :( I didn't have any problems with my last older Nano or my Touch so far

Rayo

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Sadly no. :( I didn't have any problems with my last older Nano or my Touch so far
There seems to be a solution! I usually run music free and Nike's got an iPod free setup!
4-2-08-nike_sportband.jpg

59.99$ but at least it gets good reviews 1 2. I think I will purchase.

Replicant

Please add me in. My Nike+ ID is Menouthis (hopefully this works because I can't seem to type that name into the Mac screensaver I downloaded from the site - something about the name not existing or something like that).

PS: those Nike+ MINI are amusing. Here's mine:

dlnr46.jpg

big_z

i just noticed there's leaderboards for worldwide and each country.

here's my mini for now. there's an unlockable for 30,000 miles... wow.
nikemini.gif

Replicant

I just learned that if I run on a treadmill, even though I covered the same amount of time, Nike+ counts my total miles, pace, and calories lower. I'm not sure if that's right or not but next time I'll run in the park again.

Also, why is "Powersong" option is not available on my iPod Touch (2nd Gen) after I press "Basic Workout"?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Replicant said:
I just learned that if I run on a treadmill, even though I covered the same amount of time, Nike+ counts my total miles, pace, and calories lower. I'm not sure if that's right or not but next time I'll run in the park again.

Also, why is "Powersong" option is not available on my iPod Touch (2nd Gen) after I press "Basic Workout"?

on a related note, I spent yesterday doing some calibration on some shitty treadmill we have at home - turns out it was slightly off.

But then I mapped my usual route home on google maps and the distance was the same as what my Nike+ usually shows :lol so maybe default Nike+ and google maps are more accurate than shitty cheap treadmill.

Will be running/walking home today if the ice has melted. Will be doing it with leg weights on.

I've also ordered something called a powerbreathe - anyone had any experience with it? I've heard nothing but positive stuff. None of that "its fake" feedback like you get with 6 second abs or whatever thats called. I've always had weak lungs/voice so I imagine it will help in various ways beyond exercise, even if thats the main selling point.

big_z

i use my nike+ thing uncalibrated and it's almost always within .2 miles of whatever i ran after an hour or so on the treadmill. uncalibrated it's supposed to be fairly accurate for most people according to nike.

from what i read in the nikeforum if you want to calibrate do so on a track. keeping a steady pace on a flat surface is important when calibrating.

small variations on incline and stuff outside can lead to different reading. if you run a distance of say 4 miles on the treadmill without an incline the nike+ thing should be pretty close.

i will send out the january challenge invites later today/tonight.

Here's my run from yesterday, 9.75 miles, around 7:30 miles:

http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=runners,runs,1077563068,runID,1747709313

I was hoping to do my first half marathon as a training run but was way too cold and I've been feeling rather under the weather.

This run hurt. I thought I was pretty far off my target pace but it turns out I was pretty spot on. My knees are a little creaky today and the quads are a bit tight so I'll probably be taking it easy on the treadmill the next few days.

Picked up a new Nike+ kit over the weekend, but now I need to track down one of the pouches for the sensor. I had hoped that Apple would have them in stock, but I'm sure Nike wouldn't appreciate that, so I'll need to order one online. Should be contributing to the group soon I hope.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I had a killer workout last night. I did squat, but then also ran 3 miles. Surprisingly, I'm not dying today. I wish it was warmer out, so I could do real running, rather than this treadmill crap.

SephCast said:
I had a killer workout last night. I did squat, but then also ran 3 miles. Surprisingly, I'm not dying today. I wish it was warmer out, so I could do real running, rather than this treadmill crap.

My rule of thumb when it comes to running outside in the cold is that if it isn't single digits or lower, I'm running outside. Period. You just need to have the right gear. No excuses mister! ;)

Rei_Toei said:
I'm in! My Nike+ name is Chandos.

Welcome to the team! You should receive an invite shortly.

By the way guys, my cold weather running gear sucks. My gonads and hands were frozen after my run yesterday. :lol Is there a relatively inexpensive brand you guys recommend for running in pants, gloves, and top wise? Thanks!

The_Inquisitor said:

By the way guys, my cold weather running gear sucks. My gonads and hands were frozen after my run yesterday. :lol Is there a relatively inexpensive brand you guys recommend for running in pants, gloves, and top wise? Thanks!

I use stuff from Nike, North Face, and REI. Under Armor has cold weather gear as well. I personally find most stuff to be overkill, as I get quite warm once I get moving. In fact, I don't even put on the running tights until it's below 20º F. Otherwise it's just shorts, with a long sleeve top.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I use stuff from Nike, North Face, and REI. Under Armor has cold weather gear as well. I personally find most stuff to be overkill, as I get quite warm once I get moving. In fact, I don't even put on the running tights until it's below 20º F. Otherwise it's just shorts, with a long sleeve top.

Thanks. I don't think I am going to be able to get in my run today. It is 34 outside and raining steadily. I don't think it's worth me getting sick and missing a week of running. Means I am 2km behind now. :lol Shouldn't be hard to make up though.

big_z

alright january challenge invites have gone out. if you wish to take part you must confirm before the 10th. if i missed anyone let me know and i will send an invite.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
The_Inquisitor said:

Thanks, I got it and joined. Cool to do some challenges with you guys! I've only used to track progress so far and run some competitions with my brother who happens to live on the other side of the world.

It's freezing cold here right now (-13 degrees celcius last night) so I'm not really looking forward to running outside right now :/. I don't have a gym to go to though, so the park it is...

Replicant

TheHeretic said:
Trying to find the Nike + kit in Australia for my touch. I'm hoping the apple store will have them.

The big one in Sydney has lots of them. You only want the device though not the device+receiver. They sell both types.

I'm getting the kit too. Add me pls "winston_pr".

Used to sweat it out on the stationary bikes since I always hated running. But after having built some stamina and being away from the gym yet yearning a workout, I took up running - and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Can run 3.5kms without stopping at a good pace. That was never the case before.
I am usually running on the river-side in the outskirts of Tokyo.

Just bought an ipod shuffle since it seemed lighter and easy, but since I found out about Nike+ I guess I have to accept carrying my Touch on the arm going forward...

Anyways - good thread.

EDIT: Just noticed my iPod touch is 1st Gen. Don't really feel like getting a new one. Too bad Nike SportBand is on hold due to the waterproofing problems.

winston_pr said:
I'm getting the kit too. Add me pls "winston_pr".

Used to sweat it out on the stationary bikes since I always hated running. But after having built some stamina and being away from the gym yet yearning a workout, I took up running - and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Can run 3.5kms without stopping at a good pace. That was never the case before.
I am usually running on the river-side in the outskirts of Tokyo.

Just bought an ipod shuffle since it seemed lighter and easy, but since I found out about Nike+ I guess I have to accept carrying my Touch on the arm going forward...

Anyways - good thread.

EDIT: Just noticed my iPod touch is 1st Gen. Don't really feel like getting a new one. Too bad Nike SportBand is on hold due to the waterproofing problems.

Too bad the added sensor does not work with the first gen Touch I believe. We will be around if you eventually upgrade or get the band!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom