• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Nike + Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_z

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright I tried adding you big_z, and kaizoku, but you weren't added to team. I assume you have to confirm you want to join?

yeah i had to click join to make it official. my stats should show up now.
you should make a team challenge for january.

Compatible, Which ipods? Like generation, I'm only seeing nano. Also, do I even need an ipod or can I just treat it like a USB and upload the data to my pc?

it works with:
-iPod nano 1st generation
-iPod nano 2nd generation (aluminum)
-iPod nano 3rd generation (video)
-iPod nano 4th generation (video)
-iPod touch 2nd generation

yes you need an ipod to use it. it can not be used as a standalone device.

btw anyone know if it's possible to change the cd you're listening to without ending the workout? i know you can pause the workout and select shuffle or playlist but i want to select an album itself. i'd try backing out in the menus more but i dont want to fuck up my stats if it doesnt work.

Gibbo

Finally in there. Planning on doing 10k when I get back from work later. My Nikes arent plus enabled (ie no stupid hole at the sole), but I got around that pretty easily at zero cost. Basically used one of those flexible plastic name card folders. Placed the device in there, folded the plastic once such that the device is firmly secured in there. I then slipped it between my laces and shoe flaps.

Its secure as hell and the device was in the exact same position as when I set off 30 minutes before. Most importantly I could not even feel that it was there at all

big_z

The_Inquisitor said:
Also, if anyone would like to make some banners for the thread and whatnot, I would appreciate it! :)

here's a quick one i squeezed out until someone makes something better.

runbanner.jpg

big_z said:
here's a quick one i squeezed out until someone makes something better.

runbanner.jpg

Awesome man, updating main post!

btw anyone know if it's possible to change the cd you're listening to without ending the workout? i know you can pause the workout and select shuffle or playlist but i want to select an album itself. i'd try backing out in the menus more but i dont want to fuck up my stats if it doesnt work.

Not that I could tell of thus far. It is a pain in the ass switching songs.

Also, if a mod could change the thread title to "The Official NeoGAF Nike + Team Thread" or something of the likes, that would be cool.

yeah i had to click join to make it official. my stats should show up now.
you should make a team challenge for january.

Also big_z, you have been using this longer, might be better for you to lead this. I would love to set a January challenge but have no idea what to set. Any ideas? :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I've joined now, the link from the email just led me to a blank page, but logging into the site shows a screen and a button to join.

Damn, I feel motivated/embarassed already. :lol Need to get me some running shoes though, current ones are official Nike+ ones I got for cheap but they get uncomfortable after awhile.

big_z

The_Inquisitor said:
Also big_z, you have been using this longer, might be better for you to lead this. I would love to set a January challenge but have no idea what to set. Any ideas? :)

i've actually only used the nike+ site a few times so im as new to this as you are. i just noticed individual challenge is for those in your team. team challenge is for competing against other teams.

we should start an individual challenge for most miles run say on January 10th to the 31st.
I can make it if you like. I'll send out the invites to everyone on the 5th or 6th. This should allow enough time for everyone to confirm their spot and maybe by then we might have a few more people on the team too.

big_z said:
i've actually only used the nike+ site a few times so im as new to this as you are. i just noticed individual challenge is for those in your team. team challenge is for competing against other teams.

we should start an individual challenge for most miles run say on January 10th to the 31st.
I can make it if you like. I'll send out the invites to everyone on the 5th or 6th. This should allow enough time for everyone to confirm their spot and maybe by then we might have a few more people on the team too.

Sounds good to me.

gigapower said:
I need to get a new sensor, but I'm down for joining a group. My Nike+ ID is carbonsix

I'm in the same boat, and may go by the Apple Store later today. I haven't used the system in a long time, but wouldn't mind getting back into it, especially as I'm putting up more mileage these days.

Nike+ ID is KungFuJedi

Vitten

I'm an avid runner, I run about 10k daily at a decent pace (14-15 kph). Been doing so for many years.

But I like to travel 'light' .. never wear any ipod, MP3- or other stuff: I like to hear the oncoming trafic in the populated parts of my round and I enjoy the silence in the nature parts.

iamblades said:
There are much better options for cycling, although they can be way more expensive on the high end.

Check out the garmin edge, it monitors heart rate, cadence and speed, as well as giving you a map of your routes.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=331

Expensive, but totally awesome.

You can get cycle computer ranging from just speed and distance (you can get these low end models for like 10 bucks at walmart), to speed distance and cadence, to heart rate monitoring, to gps tracking, and anything in between. You can even get power meters that tell you exactly how much power you are generating, though they are very expensive, and way above your needs unless you are training for racing.

I do recommend you get at least cadence and heart rate, as speed and distance don't always mean much for training purposes, being able to hold your cadence and heart rate in the range where you get the most benefit is very useful.

The GPS tracking models make it really easy to compare your rides to see where you are improving or where you need to improve, but they can be a bit of an investment. With the gps tracking you can align your rides by the map instead of by time, so you can see exactly the effect that giant hill has on your heart rate and cadence, instead of having to guess.
who knew that I'd find the answer to my biking question before I even asked it. Awesome, and thanks for the recommendation.

gigapower

Nike and Apple supposedly signed a deal with equipment manufacturers incorperate the + system into recumbent bikes, ellipses, etc, I wonder when we'll start to see those appear.

Alright I added carbonsix and KungFuJedi. Welcome to the team! Big_z will be sending out our first team challenge starting around the 10th of January, so I recommend hitting the pavement asap. :)

And hey kaizoku, I notice you haven't logged any distance in yet. Still putting equipment together?

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Okay, I just bought me an refurb iPod nano ($79 at the Apple Store for you fencesittas) and the sensor, so I should be up and running (ha) in a week or so.

It's hilarious that a video game forum has directed me toward a product that takes an aspect of gaming (achievements) to get me excited about running again.

My nike+id is EditorEMB. Can't wait to start this again.

EMBee99 said:
Okay, I just bought me an refurb iPod nano ($79 at the Apple Store for you fencesittas) and the sensor, so I should be up and running (ha) in a week or so.

It's hilarious that a video game forum has directed me toward a product that takes an aspect of gaming (achievements) to get me excited about running again.

My nike+id is EditorEMB. Can't wait to start this again.

Awesome! Welcome to the team. Will be sending you an invite in a moment.

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright I added carbonsix and KungFuJedi. Welcome to the team! Big_z will be sending out our first team challenge starting around the 10th of January, so I recommend hitting the pavement asap. :)

And hey kaizoku, I notice you haven't logged any distance in yet. Still putting equipment together?

Thanks for the add. I'll try to make sure I get the kit before the 10th then. Probably this weekend, since I didn't get over to the store today. I was too busy running hills. ;)

And no need to hit the pavement. I already do 5-6 times a week. Did 8 miles yesterday and 4 today through tough hills. :D

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Thanks for the add. I'll try to make sure I get the kit before the 10th then. Probably this weekend, since I didn't get over to the store today. I was too busy running hills. ;)

And no need to hit the pavement. I already do 5-6 times a week. Did 8 miles yesterday and 4 today through tough hills. :D

Haha, well you are in much better shape than me. :lol I probably will need another 2-3 months. :lol

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I've been using Nike+ for a couple of years now. This thing is one of the things that singlehandedly helped me lose 30 lbs. I love it. Can I be added to the roster? My nike+ id is SephCast. I've got almost 400 miles under my belt.

SephCast said:
I've been using Nike+ for a couple of years now. This thing is one of the things that singlehandedly helped me lose 30 lbs. I love it. Can I be added to the roster? My nike+ id is SephCast. I've got almost 400 miles under my belt.

Absolutely! Welcome to the team. At the rate things are going we are going to have a pretty nice team on our hands. :D

kaizoku

The_Inquisitor said:

I'm totally new to 'running' in my spare time so I plan to build up slowly rather than just dive right in, that seems like it would just backfire on me in one way or another. So while its tempting I am gonna try and mentally block out this challenge stuff for now cos there's no way I can compete with the more experienced guys and it'd do me no good in the long run I imagine.

I AM looking to get some actual running shoes as nothing I own right now is really suitable for serious running, but that shouldn't really stop me.

Bigger problem right now is iTunes won't bloody update the site. I'm getting seriously annoyed with this, GOD I hate flash only websites. There's no option on itunes for me to check or change my nikeplus account either. I can't even tell if its trying to sync and failing, or syncing another account or simply ignoring nikeplus altogether. GRAH!!!

Found others with similar problems and a possible fix. Will try it now.

SephCast said:
Hmm, I don't see an invite yet.
I'll resend, one moment.

Edit: Sent!

I'm totally new to 'running' in my spare time so I plan to build up slowly rather than just dive right in, that seems like it would just backfire on me in one way or another. So while its tempting I am gonna try and mentally block out this challenge stuff for now cos there's no way I can compete with the more experienced guys and it'd do me no good in the long run I imagine.

I AM looking to get some actual running shoes as nothing I own right now is really suitable for serious running, but that shouldn't really stop me.

Bigger problem right now is iTunes won't bloody update the site. I'm getting seriously annoyed with this, GOD I hate flash only websites. There's no option on itunes for me to check or change my nikeplus account either. I can't even tell if its trying to sync and failing, or syncing another account or simply ignoring nikeplus altogether. GRAH!!!

Mine screwed up the first time too. I had to reset it somehow via iTunes. Hey same thing, I am completely new to running. If you look I can only manage about 1.4 mi a run compared to the 5 mi some of our other members can. Still, I won't let that stop me from competing in the challenge. But no worries, the point of the team is to help one another get healthier in a positive environment. :D

kaizoku

The_Inquisitor said:
Mine screwed up the first time too. I had to reset it somehow via iTunes. Hey same thing, I am completely new to running. If you look I can only manage about 1.4 mi a run compared to the 5 mi some of our other members can. Still, I won't let that stop me from competing in the challenge. But no worries, the point of the team is to help one another get healthier in a positive environment. :D

how long until you're data shows up on the website? Is it pretty much instant?

This is driving me crazy. any idea how you fixed it?

I'm also pretty sure I uploaded data in the past so I don't know why its blank now... I did upgrade from iPod Nano to iPod Touch...and probably set up a new Apple/iTunes account, but my nikeplus is the same. I'm having one of those moments where I just wanna curl up in the fetal position.

kaizoku said:

I'm also pretty sure I uploaded data in the past so I don't know why its blank now... I did upgrade from iPod Nano to iPod Touch...and probably set up a new Apple/iTunes account, but my nikeplus is the same. I'm having one of those moments where I just wanna curl up in the fetal position.

Instant after the sync. Hmm I can't remember whether the first one took extra time or not. Let me check some setting quickly.

SephCast said:
Took me a couple years to get that. I run about 8 miles a week too.

Mmm, right now it looks like I am going at around 12km. According to my training program I will do that for another two weeks, then I think I goes to 15-16km.

gigapower

The_Inquisitor said:
Awesome man. Once you get into it, it's near addictive. In a good way of course. :D
Oh I've put some miles up before, I just lost the dongle one day and haven't bother to buy a new one since.

Also sometimes it takes a while for other people to see your runs.

kaizoku said:

Ok, did you try unchecking the send data automatically box, then rechecking? Um, I swear there was something else I did...

Just a quick question. This pouch that you linked to in the OP works for any pair of shoes? Also, can you buy this at any Bestbuy or Apple Store?

I'm interested in getting this, as I've been meaning to start running again, and I will eventually have to start running for my track team anyways. So this seems like a good way to get me motivated. Seeing results on paper always makes things easier in my mind.

Stopsign said:
Just a quick question. This pouch that you linked to in the OP works for any pair of shoes? Also, can you buy this at any Bestbuy or Apple Store?

I'm interested in getting this, as I've been meaning to start running again, and I will eventually have to start running for my track team anyways. So this seems like a good way to get me motivated. Seeing results on paper always makes things easier in my mind.

Yep just attaches to your shoelaces. You can buy it instore at best buy. At least mine had them in stock.

centracore

This might be a dumb question but I can't seem to find where the invite would appear on the Nike+ site.. any suggestions?

centracore said:
This might be a dumb question but I can't seem to find where the invite would appear on the Nike+ site.. any suggestions?

Just leave your name in the thread and I will add you. It is invite only.

gigapower

centracore said:
once invited you'll get a notification next time you log into the Plus website.

centracore said:

Once you've been invited, you'll receive the invite in your email.

kaizoku

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok, did you try unchecking the send data automatically box, then rechecking? Um, I swear there was something else I did...

yep, tried all sorts, checking my browser cookies, unchecking, closing everything, re-checking etc.

There's no prompt of anykind. I wonder if its because my run data is old, been awhile since I took my nike running shoes out for a run (they hurt after awhile). But then why isn't the website matching what I have on my iPod?

This kind of random illogical problem makes my head hurt. I'm taking my pent up fury and going to bed.

big_z

awesome to see the team more than double today!

SephCast said:

yeah i lost 30 pounds this year using it too. however 3 weeks vacation followed shortly by another 3 weeks off due to laser eye surgery caused me to gain 5 pounds back but i've maintained fairly well. i want to lose more though so im going to step things up.

dont feel disheartend by the challenges. you might not be at the top of the pack but everyone starts as a beginner. maybe you might only get 20 miles the first challenge but then when we do another you might get 30 miles. it's a good indicator of your improvement over time and if anything it should motivate you more.

-start itunes with ipod attatched, uncheck the auto update nike+ box, click apply and close itunes
-restart itunes, make sure the box to automatically sync with the nike+ site is checked in and click apply. it should work. it'll ask you if you want to visit the site after done syncing. click yes and re-log in if needed.
as far as i can tell it's impossible to update manually.

tip for those new to running. if you feel any chafing or blisters coming on buy some of this stuff. it will eliminate those problems completely.
body_glide.jpg

kaizoku

big_z said:
dont feel disheartend by the challenges. you might not be at the top of the pack but everyone starts as a beginner. maybe you might only get 20 miles the first challenge but then when we do another you might get 30 miles. it's a good indicator of your improvement over time and if anything it should motivate you more.

-start itunes with ipod attatched, uncheck the auto update nike+ box, click apply and close itunes
-restart itunes, make sure the box to automatically sync with the nike+ site is checked in and click apply. it should work. it'll ask you if you want to visit the site after done syncing. click yes and re-log in if needed.
as far as i can tell it's impossible to update manually.

tip for those new to running. if you feel any chafing or blisters coming on buy some of this stuff. it will eliminate those problems completely.

cheers for the advice and good will :D

I think I have tried that already and many variations of it, will give it a final go tonight, may need to restore my iPod, but then I'll lose what little progress I'd made :lol

Do you guys have proper running shoes or just cheap trainers of some kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom