• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic thread of fun local multiplayer

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RDKF1.png

Available now Worldwide, $9.99
1-4 players, local multi only
Online Leaderboards/Trophies
Character Customization
YouTube Uploading/HDD Recording

First off, get those bad memories of the PC version of Rag Doll, because this game is pretty much nothing like it. The controls are fantastic, the game is beautiful to look at and runs at a nice 60fps, and it has some original Sixaxis controls to boot.

The game uses a lot of Super Smash Bros mechanics (pick up items, throw them, and they even rain down from the sky) but I feel that RDKF runs at a much better pace. It's a little bit slower and the action is always easy to follow. It's a tough game to beat though.

Multiplayer is limited to local only, but it's incredibly fun. There's not much in terms of combos and special moves, rather, it's more of a strategic fighter as you have "chi" you can use to either throw some lightning punches, electric balls, or just flip your controller over to meditate for some extra health.

So far I'm really diggin this game, and it's definitely the best multiplayer PSN game I've played since Calling All Cars. Here's a YouTube vid I recorded of some multiplayer action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdjPQ5oJlk

RDKF2.jpg

RDKF3.jpg

RDKF4.jpg

Rapping Granny said:
Would have bought it if it had online, so much fail that it doesn't.

What? No online in a PS3 fighting game? Weird.

Is there at least a demo where I can try it out? (PS3 or PC?)

Dizzan

MINI Member
Online will probably be implemented(poorly) in an update in about three months then it will be patched in a further 6 months(when nobody is playing it anymore) so it runs smoothly

BeeDog

Best plastic shader in a game ever.

And it's a shame there's no online, but on the plus side, there's no online trophies that need to be hoarded. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dr. Zoidberg said:
What? No online in a PS3 fighting game? Weird.

Is there at least a demo where I can try it out? (PS3 or PC?)
Probably related to the heavy use of physics.
Physics are a chaotic system.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BeeDog said:
Best plastic shader in a game ever.

And it's a shame there's no online, but on the plus side, there's no online trophies that need to be hoarded. :lol

LOL.

There may be online down the line, but I am not holding my breath. In an interview one of the developers said the physics were too complex to make it online easily, possible, but not easily for them. I read it as "for a 10 dollar game, we run out of budget before we could make an online mode".

I want impressions before making a decision on whether or not I should buy this game. Also I want Kratos, Wander and some other cool characters as DLC.

Dizzan

MINI Member
AranhaHunter said:
Also I want Kratos, Wander and some other cool characters as DLC.

Yes that would be cool! I'd love Ratchet, Chimera, Nathan Drake, Nariko, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, Snake. Actually, Sony should push DLC characters in order to make it like their Smash Bros.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How much different is this than the PC version? Better/completely different controls? The PC one pretty much required a mouse, so I'm assuming this is a much different playing game...

jett

D-Member
chubigans said:
No demo, and don't play the PC demo because it's pretty bad (nothing like this game).

Sony has just shot themselves in the foot etc etc

There's also no way I'm buying a predominantly multiplayer game that has no online option.

VNZ

Wow, Little Big Planet graphics at 60fps?! Color a "60fps whore" excited!

Edit: and oh, the gameplay is not directly translated from the old PC version? Color me even more excited!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There's no "cursor" in this game unlike the PC version...you move the characters directly using the analog stick. It controls very well. (I really disliked the Kung Fu PC version's method of control, which is all gone here).

bryehn

I really like what I've played so far. Only been doing challenges but should have lots of multiplayer opportunities over the long weekend.

Talamius

Ehhh, wouldn't it make more sense to release an offline-only party fighter on the Wii? Don't get this decision at all.

I'll buy it when the price drops and online is (hopefully) patched in.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Talamius said:
Ehhh, wouldn't it make more sense to release an offline-only party fighter on the Wii? Don't get this decision at all.

I'll buy it when the price drops and online is (hopefully) patched in.

Read my post above. It seems they ran out of budget for online.

Anyway, at 90% now, cant wait.

Ploid 3.0

AndyD said:
Read my post above. It seems they ran out of budget for online.

Anyway, at 90% now, cant wait.

That little lack of budget cost them a lot of potential money. I would have rather they spent less time getting it to run 60fps and more getting it online. They probably still wouldn't have online, but man this game looks nice. (sigh)

Pallaris said:
I'm reading a lot of 60fps praise... is this the real deal or will I have to deal with framedrops + tearing?

Real deal, what's so amazing in it, it doesn't boast the most amazing graphics ever imo.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Sony's gotta start mandating demos for their arcade games, this is silly. One of the best ideas MS had this gen, and Sony preferred to pilfer achievements. :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, PC game was not good!

I'm glad this sounds better. Lack of online is dumb as shit (and where the hell are the demos Sony?) but if the good impressions hold up I'll have to get this one :)

Musashi Wins! said:
Man, PC game was not good!

I'm glad this sounds better. Lack of online is dumb as shit (and where the hell are the demos Sony?) but if the good impressions hold up I'll have to get this one :)

It has NOTHING to do with the pc version! Really much better gameplay.

EXGN

I dunno how much I like the Sixaxis controls, TBH. Doing that flying punch attack is kinda awkward.

Banned
this could have been so good with online multiplayer to be honest. I was incredibly excited for this game when i heard about it first from GDC 07...

Not having online MP in this game is one of the biggest disappointments of this gen so far for me.

They get one thing VERY VERY right in launching worldwide at the same time. Something which most games don't do... but fail SO HARD in other areas!

I would have expected all MP PSN games to launch worldwide simultaneously AND have online MP 2 years into the console life-cycle!

Imagine the community this game coulda had with an online component! now it's nothing more than an anomaly.

Banned
AndyD said:
LOL.

There may be online down the line, but I am not holding my breath. In an interview one of the developers said the physics were too complex to make it online easily, possible, but not easily for them. I read it as "for a 10 dollar game, we run out of budget before we could make an online mode".

i guess that is understandable. they really should have stated this on the official blog. I mean €10 is not that much. then €5 for the online in a while? fuck it... I'm buying it.

Dragnet

I'm utterly sick of you all moaning about no online. The game clearly relies heavily on physics, and we all know physics + online gameplay are not a good mix. See GTA IV, you'll hit someone with your car and your system will throw them one way, but their system throws them into a different place and they suddenly pop into a new position on your screen.

I explained that horribly but hopefully you get the point. Quit moaning people. If it did have online you'd moan out your ass about how people are lagging all over the place, not responding to hits in the right way, etc etc. stfu.

Dragnet said:
I'm utterly sick of you all moaning about no online. The game clearly relies heavily on physics, and we all know physics + online gameplay are not a good mix. See GTA IV, you'll hit someone with your car and your system will throw them one way, but their system throws them into a different place and they suddenly pop into a new position on your screen.

I explained that horribly but hopefully you get the point. Quit moaning people. If it did have online you'd moan out your ass about how people are lagging all over the place, not responding to hits in the right way, etc etc. stfu.

I don't know how to reply to this dumb post.

So I'll just name a game that relies all on physics and has online, LBP.

Top Bottom