• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS Shift looking good!

VVV Mars VG

I haven't seen an official Need For Speed Shift thread, but this game is looking pretty awesome and certainly not the GRID clone a lot of people are expecting. Today EA announced the inclusion of a drift mode and I got an early hands on and some new screen shots below which I thought I would pop on here.

driftb_screens_june29_0019.jpg

july3_drift0009.jpg

july3_drift0014.jpg

Gomu Gomu

I know I might be the only one here, but this game is my most wanted racing game ever. See, when I play racing sims (e.g. gt5p) I love the sense of reality in handling, but I can never feel the speed. I don't feel like I'm going 300 km/h in those games. And what I like about arcade racers is that I DO feel the speed, but they lack the sense of reality.

NFS:SHIFT plays like a simulation racer. But it feels like an arcade one ;).

VVV Mars VG

Yeah its a shame they didn't manage a better frame rate, I noted that at the top of the article but horses for courses, 30fps is what we've got and the feeling of speed is great, there's a great range of motion blur and focus effects going on with some nice ideas and creative implementation.

it's only 30fps on consoles? that's a shame.

think this will turn out great. and hopefully complement race07/gtr evolution/stcc, rbr and iracing nicely.

need more info on rfactor2 now.

bj00rn_

Banned
ram said:
you are "feeling" speed with 30fps? ROFL

One of my favorite racing games only ran at 5-10 fps on the Amiga. And I remember the infamous Star Wars trench run back in the days gave a great sense of speed - Movies are "just" 24 fps. And I for one can even feel the sense of speed reading a book.. Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for people that are limiting or distancing themselves from an experience just because of a number.

RavenFox said:
I don't understand how they enjoy butchering this franchise on every fucking release.

This isn't a NFS game that you should be making that claim about. All signs point to it being a fantastic racing game.

Ikopi

Will the PC version be 60fps? I'm actually excited for this game, first time in 10 years a NFS game got me excited ...

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
This isn't a NFS game that you should be making that claim about. All signs point to it being a fantastic racing game.
All signs point to nothing that hasn't been done by other racers. NFS was never about drifting around a closed track. NFS should be about long races through countrysides, towns and woodland shortcuts with 7 other friends trying to beat you to the finish line while if you so choose to have the cops on your ass to. Maybe one day this franchise can find its way back home.

Ikopi said:
Will the PC version be 60fps? I'm actually excited for this game, first time in 10 years a NFS game got me excited ...
?
What do you think?

RavenFox said:
All signs point to nothing that hasn't been done by other racers. NFS was never about drifting around a closed track. NFS should be about long races through countrysides, towns and woodland shortcuts with 7 other friends trying to beat you to the finish line while if you so choose to have the cops on your ass to. Maybe one day this franchise can find its way back home.

People are going to have to get over what they want NFS to be. It's not that to EA anymore. It's a brand name for racing games. So you're going to have circuit racing, you're going to have over the top racing (like the Wii/DS games), you're going to have open world racing ect. That doesn't mean that they can't be great racing games though.

Goldrusher said:
The basic concept is identical to GRID.
What does this even mean? Why do people keep saying this?

It COULD turn out bad, of course, but if it does, it won't be because of the devs. And you can't just keep on posting "postprocessing in a racer = GRID" over and over again until we find out. I mean, you can, but please don't. Cmon.

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
People are going to have to get over what they want NFS to be. It's not that to EA anymore. It's a brand name for racing games. So you're going to have circuit racing, you're going to have over the top racing (like the Wii/DS games), you're going to have open world racing ect. That doesn't mean that they can't be great racing games though.
Well my post is just my disgust with the franchise. One person, me, stating how I feel. I find the games not very fun since they started the street racing. I will try this game and see where it goes. Not sure what you meant by open world. If your talking like something in the veins of BO paradise then no. I rather tracks with locales that go from city to country side, by waterfalls, under and over bridges etc. I would be very pleased if they can throw that in there.

kbear

Gomu Gomu said:
I know I might be the only one here, but this game is my most wanted racing game ever. See, when I play racing sims (e.g. gt5p) I love the sense of reality in handling, but I can never feel the speed. I don't feel like I'm going 300 km/h in those games. And what I like about arcade racers is that I DO feel the speed, but they lack the sense of reality.

NFS:SHIFT plays like a simulation racer. But it feels like an arcade one ;).
Totally agree with you on this, man. When I try the pure sim racers like GT5P or Forza, the sense of speed is just not there. It feels like I'm going 40 mph even though it says over a 100. I'm surprised this complaint doesn't come up more often as it's always the first thing I notice about these games.

Tom Penny

Cockpit mode looks amazing in the gameplay video's I've seen.Better than what has been shown of those "other" 2 games with damage too.

Ranger X

op_ivy said:
and the drift mode wont help the otherwise argument.

Drift mode? That was in Gran Turismo already. You can bet you'll see that in GT5. I suppose this will make the game "the same concept as GRID" :lol

You guys have wierd barometers to classify games.

This game is being developed by at least some from among the cream of the PC racing sim devs. I don't know the EXACT evolution of the teams and who ended up where, but you're talking, generally speaking, about guys who made (PC) games like GT Legends, the GTR games, W|BTCC, RACE, etc.

Guys who made small-market, uncompromising sim games on shoestring budgets, and did a great job with them, and are now making a big-budget NFS game. There's nothing "usual" about this AT ALL. If they pull it off at all, this could very much be a Forza or Gran Turismo competitor and more.

RavenFox

Banned
kbear said:
Totally agree with you on this, man. When I try the pure sim racers like GT5P or Forza, the sense of speed is just not there. It feels like I'm going 40 mph even though it says over a 100. I'm surprised this complaint doesn't come up more often as it's always the first thing I notice about these games.

What cars were you using in GT5P and Forza2?

GT5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQWZaG6hlc

Forza2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRlJXT5kEfM&feature=related

I don't know what's 40mph about those vids.

Tom Penny said:
Cockpit mode looks amazing in the gameplay video's I've seen.Better than what has been shown of those "other" 2 games with damage too.
Get your eyes checked.

Stink

If they nail a fun drift mechanic and I can lock the framerate I'll be up for this.

Pretty big ifs as far as this franchise has performed recently, but nevertheless.

skybaby

bj00rn_ said:
One of my favorite racing games only ran at 5-10 fps on the Amiga. And I remember the infamous Star Wars trench run back in the days gave a great sense of speed - Movies are "just" 24 fps. And I for one can even feel the sense of speed reading a book.. Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for people that are limiting or distancing themselves from an experience just because of a number.
This whole "60fps is necessary to feel speed" debate is stupid IMO. Can't you play feel speed on races broadcast on TV? Give me a break.
Control-wise I do agree 60fps is better.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ranger X said:
Drift mode? That was in Gran Turismo already. You can bet you'll see that in GT5. I suppose this will make the game "the same concept as GRID" :lol

You guys have wierd barometers to classify games.

i should have been more clear in what i was saying. i wasnt really agreeing with the poster, just that the announcement of a drift mode will even further the (wrong) comparisons to GRID.

SolidSnakex said:

yup. the IP has been broken into distinct personalities now. there will be a nfs:shift series from here on out (depending on sales?). i'd imagine there will be the nfs: open world series as well. who knows, maybe even one with road races hearkening back to the old days too.

RavenFox

Banned
op_ivy said:
i should have been more clear in what i was saying. i wasnt really agreeing with the poster, just that the announcement of a drift mode will even further the (wrong) comparisons to GRID.

yup. the IP has been broken into distinct personalities now. there will be a nfs:shift series from here on out (depending on sales?). i'd imagine there will be the nfs: open world series as well. who knows, maybe even one with road races hearkening back to the old days too.
I would love this.

Cahill

Banned
RavenFox said:
NFS should be about long races through countrysides, towns and woodland shortcuts with 7 other friends trying to beat you to the finish line while if you so choose to have the cops on your ass to. Maybe one day this franchise can find its way back home.

Shift as a racer looks good and I liked Most Wanted, but I am totally with you. I miss the old NFS format as well. :(

Ranger X said:
No. The basic concept here is to make a simulation and have a great dev behind the game.
I really don't think this is going to sit well in the "sim" bracket. The last gameplay trailer they showed put it pretty squarely somewhere between sim and arcade.

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnake awesome pics but, I was talking about content and what not. Like I said buddy I will take this for a spin. They do look damn good once again.:D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this game looks incredible. between this, dirt 2, and forza 3 (and gt5?), 09 is shaping up to be awesome for race fans.

op_ivy said:
who knows, maybe even one with road races hearkening back to the old days too.

I think there's a possibility that Criterion could do something along those lines. It'll probably have some sort of twist on it, but I could see the doing something like that.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Cahill said:
Shift as a racer looks good and I liked Most Wanted, but I am totally with you. I miss the old NFS format as well. :(

Yup... same here. I enjoyed the first few street racers... actually enjoyed almost every game up to Most Wanted.... LOVED Most Wanted... Carbon wore on me... some of the racers were just crazy, though I liked the gang take over aspect, I avoided the drifting contests, and tolerated the canyon races....

Pro Street was the end of the series for me. I've played Undercover a few times trying to get in to it... it feels like Most Wanted/Carbon-lite.

Gomu Gomu said:

Ha, exactly my thoughts! I absolutely love the PGR-like arcade/sim style of racing games, but the bad cockpit view in most cars in PGR4 was a big let-down. So if the cockpit view in this game is as good as it looks to be, this will be my most-played racing game for the next year!

Gomu Gomu

RavenFox said:
Your insane or my sarcasm meter is broken. Hope it's the latter.

I agree with him. I played GT5p with the same Firrari shown in that video. And I wasn't feeling the action. Yes, it is faster than the other cars on the track, but meh. As for Forza 2 video. My god that was boring. Again, I'm not saying these kinds of games suck. It's just, to me, they lack the action and the speed I expect from driving fast cars.

Ranger X

op_ivy said:

Oh ok I get you.

Tom Penny said:

Not nearly as good looking as Forza 3, let alone GT5P. Pretty sad considering it's only running at 30fps to boot.

Agreed. I don't see why they stopped making NFS games like that.

Top Bottom