• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS Shift looking good!

VVV Mars VG said:
nfs_shift_4_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

This shot could be straight out of PGR4. Not that that's a bad thing, because I'm still sad that Bizarre Creations will not be making a PGR5 ever.

eso76

BrokenSymmetry said:
This shot could be straight out of PGR4. Not that that's a bad thing, because I'm still sad that Bizarre Creations will not be making a PGR5 ever.

id'd argue it looks better than PGR4 does, cars especially have a much more realistic look to them. Might be the lighting or the shaders they used.

Two persons who recently tried Shift at cannes (time attack) told me the game runs at 60fps, at least when there's no cpu controlled cars on the track (ps3 version btw).
I'm pretty sure the game runs at 30fps+motion blur, but the fact 2 different persons who don't know each other told me that made me wonder; maybe the game does run at 60 fps, although only in time attack ?

brunoa76

eso76 said:
Two persons who recently tried Shift at cannes (time attack) told me the game runs at 60fps, at least when there's no cpu controlled cars on the track (ps3 version btw).
I'm pretty sure the game runs at 30fps+motion blur, but the fact 2 different persons who don't know each other told me that made me wonder; maybe the game does run at 60 fps, although only in time attack ?

must be a very stable 30fps with motion blur, it's easy to take that for a 60fps when you are not familiar with 60fps (and I am getting more and more unfamiliar with 60fps on nextgen :D ).

But 60fps for time attack only is also possible.

Ranger X

eso76 said:
id'd argue it looks better than PGR4 does, cars especially have a much more realistic look to them. Might be the lighting or the shaders they used.

I suppose most people will find 30fps + motion blur so smooth most will think it's 60fps. Totally makes sense in this case that 2 different dudes told you it looks 60

Oneself

Ranger X said:
Seriously, they keep insisting this game in on the sim side. The dev background also point to great simulation possibilities. The game looks great. PS3 version shouldn't suck.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO NOT BE TOTALLY SOLD?

It looks awesome indeed .. but don't go to fast about the PS3 version ... it's EA and it's NFS ...

SolidSnakex said:

While those look awesome, I find it very odd that the best car models we've seen this gen are in GT5 and Forza 3, two games that run at 60fps. The difference is quite large too. This is obviously doing more in other areas, but it seems strange that it would work out like that.

WHOAguitarninja said:
While those look awesome, I find it very odd that the best car models we've seen this gen are in GT5 and Forza 3, two games that run at 60fps. The difference is quite large too. This is obviously doing more in other areas, but it seems strange that it would work out like that.

Shift vs GT5P = Post processing and damage vs no processing and no damage(okay this will probably change with GT5)

Shift vs Forza 3 = Post processing and more than 8 cars per race vs no post processing and only 8 cars per race.

Goldrusher

It looks good in screenshots, but horrible in videos.
And don't give me that "it's the assists" crap.

- wobbly physics
- depth-of-field for dashboard
- camera constantly zooming in and out to simulate acceleration
- shaky cam

You'll be motion sick after 2 laps.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I'm going to get Forza Motorsport 3 for my sim racing needs, and get NFS Nitro for the Wii if it's any good.

Anecdotal evidence (the reviews for MySims Racing and NASCAR Kart Racing) suggests that Nitro has a chance of being decent. :D

Goldrusher said:
It looks good in screenshots, but horrible in videos.
And don't give me that "it's the assists" crap.

- wobbly physics
- depth-of-field for dashboard
- camera constantly zooming in and out to simulate acceleration
- shaky cam

You'll be motion sick after 2 laps.

The developers of NFS Shift have always said that they're trying to achieve a real "behind the wheel" experience. It remains to be seen if they succeed, but I'm glad that they're at least trying something to better approach the noisy and fear-inducing experience that driving a real race car should be...

Sleeker

since this will be the first racer ive played on PC for a while it makes me realise PC version will have no rumble.

Goldrusher

Sleeker said:
since this will be the first racer ive played on PC for a while it makes me realise PC version will have no rumble.
Why not ? Get a wheel or a controller and you'll have the whole shebang.

inner-G

Banned
Sleeker said:
get a wired 360 pad.

Awesome PC gaming investment imo. Don't mess with the wireless controller adapter B.S.

Sleeker

so they code for rumble in their pc games too?
i thought that was just for console games

shows how out of the loop i am

Ikopi

Sleeker said:
so they code for rumble in their pc games too?
i thought that was just for console games

shows how out of the loop i am

Yes, GRID for example has fantastic rumble support. And the game has all the controls specially mapped to the 360 controller, I expect the same thing for Shift.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ikopi said:
Yes, GRID for example has fantastic rumble support. And the game has all the controls specially mapped to the 360 controller, I expect the same thing for Shift.
That really is one of my favorite things about the current gen console/pc multiplatform titles.
The 360 controller just works!

[Nintex]

meh, I'm not really interested in this, Forza 3 looks so much better. I don't understand why they changed it into a sim racer. I'm actually more interested in Need for Speed: Nitro.

[QUOTE='[Nintex]I don't understand why they changed it into a sim racer.[/QUOTE]

The original NFS was realistic, so they're just going back to where the series started.

[Nintex]

SolidSnakex said:
The original NFS was realistic, so they're just going back to where the series started.
I woulnd't call the original games realistic, I've played all the games in the series since NFS2 and this looks more like a poor attempt to rip-off Grid.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Shut the fuck up about the GRID comparisons, already. Goddamn! GRID had a purely arcade based game engine. SHIFT does not. I just played SHIFT for the third time last Wednesday and it is fantastic. It has a physics engine that can be toyed around with for beginners to pros, and unlike GRID you can start out with purely stock cars - you're not forced to drive hideous monstrosities with wings and massive body kits.

Hands-on coverage will be posted later tonight. I also got to experience the game with a certain new Logitech wheel that hasn't been officially announced yet. But you guys are well aware of what it is.

Dante

Graphically I thought this was the most impressive racer on the floor at E3, although I had way more fun with Split Second :)

AlphaSnake said:
Hands-on coverage will be posted later tonight. I also got to experience the game with a certain new Logitech wheel that hasn't been officially announced yet. But you guys are well aware of what it is.

G27!

1-D_FTW

AlphaSnake said:
Shut the fuck up about the GRID comparisons, already. Goddamn! GRID had a purely arcade based game engine. SHIFT does not. I just played SHIFT for the third time last Wednesday and it is fantastic. It has a physics engine that can be toyed around with for beginners to pros, and unlike GRID you can start out with purely stock cars - you're not forced to drive hideous monstrosities with wings and massive body kits.

What cave have I been living in? What? I've heard rumors that maybe the G25 successor is coming in 2010, but that's about it. Can you say if you're at least talking about a new wheel or just a wheel for a certain console?

1-D_FTW said:
What cave have I been living in? What? I've heard rumors that maybe the G25 successor is coming in 2010, but that's about it. Can you say if you're at least talking about a new wheel or just a wheel for a certain console?

It's the G27. Codemasters recently released a list of compatible wheels for DIRT 2 and the G27 was listed under PS3 and PC. They later edited it out of the list.

Parham

Banned
The lighting in the those screen shots remind me of GRID and DiRT. Hopefully they won't over use bloom like either of those two games.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AlphaSnake said:
Will this new Logitech wheel be compatible with the X360? What does it look like? Can you tell us, or do we have to wait for your impressions first?

Also, tell someone at EA that if they add Ferraris later on as DLC, I'll buy. Otherwise, I'll just get NFS Nitro instead and leave my sim racing needs to Forza 3.

AlphaSnake's preview

For starters, SHIFT supports Logitech wheels and has full support of the G25's clutch and shifter setup. Within the game are a plethora of tuning options for the wheel, so that you can customize its feel and feedback to your liking. The thing is, though, we didn't play this game with a Logitech G25. But rather another Logitech wheel, which has yet to be officially announced. But if you're an enthusiast, you've probably seen some of the leaked images of it. We wish we could go into details on some of the changes to this wheel, but we have to wait a bit.

One question I've had with the game from the beginning is "do I start out with stock cars"? And in the past the question couldn't be answered, because even EA BlackBox and Slightly Mad weren't sure. Well, there is an answer, and it is a "yes". So if you were worried about being handed pre-tuned cars that are not to your aesthetic liking, worry not, because you will now be able to start off with a clean slate of your own and keep your car looking stock, if you wish, and just work on the performance. Or keep the visual upgrades subtle and tasteful if you want to mod the look.

Now, one of the best features we heard about the game was its online matchmaking system. During offline races the game will track and measure your style of racing using two characteristic traits: aggression and precision. Based on your driving style, the game will matchmake and drop you into a group of racers most closely related to your driving. Of course, if you don't wish to partake in the matchmaking, you don't have to, it's purely optional.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-previews/348.html

sullyj

Holy shit Road America? Bought. Anyone know if Forza or GT plan on including the greatest road track in North America as well?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
[Nintex] said:
meh, I'm not really interested in this, Forza 3 looks so much better. I don't understand why they changed it into a sim racer. I'm actually more interested in Need for Speed: Nitro.

NFS is a brand. We have sim racers, arcade racers and arcade/kart racers coming out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1-D_FTW said:
You left out the paragraph about support for the D-Box Motion Chair. What's that, you ask? That's what I said. Looks like it provides arcade style movement to your cockpit. The price? Couldn't find. But I think it qualifies under "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" department.

nice. I've sometimes wondered if something like Xbox or PS3 could support d-box. I think its more vibration than motion, but it could be an interesting addition. I just wish their pricing wasn't so insane so 'normal' people could appreciate it.

Top Bottom