• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS Shift looking good!

evolution

Looks like the only other game besides GT to get the look of the cockpit view right. 30fps sucks ass, but then i can't complain much when PGR2 is one my favorite racing games of all time.

eso76

kbear said:
i knew the gt5 youtube vid would be either the indy car or the ferrari

the game has like 700 cars...only a fraction of them show any sense of speed.

yeah, and there's not nearly enough jumps !
Dude, that's because only a fraction of them are actually 'fast' compared to tracks layout.
and this thing about 'sense of speed' in sims really needs to stop. In gt5 and forza 2 speed is "accurate", realistic. Cars speed (as in distance / time) is exactly the same as in real life as it should be.

Sense of speed is also determined by how wide the track is, how close to your car trackside elements zip by; Forza and gt feature real life tracks for most part, tracks which were designed with safety standards in mind and for racecars; obviously, racing a yaris on them will return very little sense of speed, as it would in real life.

In real life, sense of speed is determined by so many factors you cannot simulate (body acceleration, g force and the actual danger perception) a videogame should move at ten times the real speed for you to begin feeling something remotely similar; arcades do that, sims don't and shouldn't.
Granted, there a few visual tricks that can somehow enhance sense of speed, but they don't belong in racing sims and in any case it's just an illusion of speed.

Finally, sims don't need to and shouldn't rely on speed, because physics already make the driving experience satisfying, rewarding and very challenging as it is. Try taking a shelby cobra for a ride on the ring with no aids and a decent wheel; you will struggle to keep that thing on the road, you'll have to make continuous adjustments, you'll be physically tired after your first lap. You won't even begin to think of complaining about 'sense of speed' because your cars feedback will force you to make your reaction time much lower than the fastest car in ridge racer requires you to.

/rant

eso76

evolution said:
Looks like the only other game besides GT to get the look of the cockpit view right. 30fps sucks ass, but then i can't complain much when PGR2 is one my favorite racing games of all time.

imho, both pgr3/4 and grid have more convincing cockpit views than the extremely static gt5prologue one, but anyway

Gomu Gomu

eso76 said:
Dude, that's because only a fraction of them are actually 'fast' compared to tracks layout.
and this thing about 'sense of speed' in sims really needs to stop. In gt5 and forza 2 speed is "accurate", realistic. Cars speed (as in distance / time) is exactly the same as in real life as it should be.

Sense of speed is also determined by how wide the track is, how close to your car trackside elements zip by; Forza and gt feature real life tracks for most part, tracks which were designed with safety standards in mind and for racecars; obviously, racing a yaris on them will return very little sense of speed, as it would in real life.

In real life, sense of speed is determined by so many factors you cannot simulate (body acceleration, g force and the actual danger perception) a videogame should move at ten times the real speed for you to begin feeling something remotely similar; arcades do that, sims don't and shouldn't.
Granted, there a few visual tricks that can somehow enhance sense of speed, but they don't belong in racing sims and in any case it's just an illusion of speed.

Finally, sims don't need to and shouldn't rely on speed, because physics already make the driving experience satisfying, rewarding and very challenging as it is. Try taking a shelby cobra for a ride on the ring with no aids and a decent wheel; you will struggle to keep that thing on the road, you'll have to make continuous adjustments, you'll be physically tired after your first lap. You won't even begin to think of complaining about 'sense of speed' because your cars feedback will force you to make your reaction time much lower than the fastest car in ridge racer requires you to.

/rant

Good post. But in the end it's a matter of opinions really. Some people would prefer the sense of speed, even if it isn't realistic. NFS:Shift has exactly that imo. whether it's realistic or not, that doesn't matter to me. What the game also has, is the best part of sim racers, which is realistic handling.

At least that's what I'm hoping the game would be eventually.

RavenFox said:
NFS was never about drifting around a closed track. NFS should be about long races through countrysides, towns and woodland shortcuts with 7 other friends trying to beat you to the finish line while if you so choose to have the cops on your ass to. Maybe one day this franchise can find its way back home.
This! The first NfS was so great. It ws so much better than test drive that time.

RavenFox

Banned
kbear said:
i knew the gt5 youtube vid would be either the indy car or the ferrari

the game has like 700 cars...only a fraction of them show any sense of speed.
Usually I wouldn't waste my time with this shit but here's a skyline. Let me guess this and the Ferrari are the only two right? Learn to play the game before spreading fud. The cars drive to spec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS4lcbZgBfM&feature=related

eso76 said:

/rant
Holy Shit *claps*

kbear

eso76 said:
Realism like you're describing doesn't always translate into really fun gameplay. It's like if a company were to make a shooter where you died in one bullet to the chest, which is what should normally happen, instead of being a sponge. It just wouldn't be fun. That's what Gomu Gomu and I are saying in regards to these sim racers. Some people just don't find that poor sense of speed, even though it's realistic, fun at all. Videogames should be an escape from reality, imo.

boo7z

bj00rn_ said:
One of my favorite racing games only ran at 5-10 fps on the Amiga. And I remember the infamous Star Wars trench run back in the days gave a great sense of speed - Movies are "just" 24 fps. And I for one can even feel the sense of speed reading a book.. Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for people that are limiting or distancing themselves from an experience just because of a number.

Not this useless comparison again...

RavenFox

Banned
kbear said:
Realism like you're describing doesn't always translate into really fun gameplay. It's like if a company were to make a shooter where you died in one bullet to the chest, which is what should normally happen, instead of being a sponge. It just wouldn't be fun. That's what Gomu Gomu and I are saying in regards to these sim racers. Some people just don't find that poor sense of speed, even though it's realistic, fun at all. Videogames should be an escape from reality, imo.
Lots of wrong in your post but who cares if you don't like it. Millions do and sims are fun. Try crashing your car doing 80 in real life.

iam220

kbear said:

So you're the authority on what's fun now?

Excuse me, but I happen to have loads of fun playing my one-shot-one-kill first person shooters and my realistic racing sims.

eso76

kbear said:

true, like Gomu Gomu said, it's a matter of opinions. But that doesn't make gt or forza 'lacking', that's just the way they should be. Shift took the unrealistically fast approach and that's fine too, i'm just saying that i'm completely fine with preferring something faster, but i'm not when people criticize gt and forza for 'lacking' something that was never their focus.

I even agree that since videogames don't have all the instruments to simulate reality they should part from it -sometimes- but driving a tuned ferrari on suzuka already is an escape from reality for me. A videogame can succeed by being completely unrealistic or by trying to make you live an experience you would never have the chance to live in the most realistic way it can.
As for shooters, i believe i would really like a shooter in which you'd die in one bullet to the chest, that would make things much more intense : ) (actually, that's how i play my shooters in lan parties, when options allow me to :) )

Mark: The arcadey Need for Speed Titles have been very successful for EA, though, always selling millions of copies. Do you think that moving to a more simulation style of gameplay risks alienating the mainstream audience that have always been the bedrock of support for the series?

Suzy: I think the thing with the Need for Speed series is that although its very popular, it is difficult to please everybody. There’s a lot of different type of racing game and a lot of different kinds of gamers. Everything from Burnout to something like previous Need for Speed games. Trying to make one title to cater for everybody is risky- you try to do everything, and you might do everything well but nothing amazingly. I think that by splitting the franchise into separate games enables us to focus on specific types of gamers and to provide the kind of experience they want. Obviously it’s going to be a big change for some people. People who don’t like to brake- and in previous NFS titles it’s not something you necessarily had to do very much- might have to learn that this is a different kind of experience. It is a big change but we think that the different, optional, driver aids we’ve included mean that there is scope for people of different abilities to play the game.

Mark: Yeah, he did. So my question to you is a double one- firstly, do you feel that you’ve maxed out the Xbox 360, and secondly, after the heavy criticism of the previous Need for Speed title’s PlayStation 3 conversion, will there be parity between the two versions?

Suzy: Yes- it’s critical to us that the the game plays the same on all platforms. The art assets we use is shared over all platforms, including the PC. It’s absolutely critical that you don’t play on one platform and have a poorer experience. But yeah, the PS3 can be quite trick to develop for, actually. There’s more common ground between the PC and the 360. The PS3 is quite different. Our background is obviously in PC titles so the change to PS3 development is a challenge. It’s not like we’ve just ported it over and hoping it’ll all work- we’ve got dedicated guys working on each platform, and they’re all making sure that the experience is the same. We sit there with the game on both consoles on screens, side by side, to make sure they look the same. It’s not acceptable to have a lower performance on PS3.

Mark: What about online features and DLC for the game?

Suzy: Online is a big thing for us- there are some new exclusive modes for NFS Shift, but we’re not really discussing them today.

Suzy also confirmed to me that a demo would be made available prior to the game’s release in September.

http://noaddedsugar.ie/?p=421

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Mark: The arcadey Need for Speed Titles have been very successful for EA, though, always selling millions of copies. Do you think that moving to a more simulation style of gameplay risks alienating the mainstream audience that have always been the bedrock of support for the series?

Suzy: I think the thing with the Need for Speed series is that although its very popular, it is difficult to please everybody. There’s a lot of different type of racing game and a lot of different kinds of gamers. Everything from Burnout to something like previous Need for Speed games. Trying to make one title to cater for everybody is risky- you try to do everything, and you might do everything well but nothing amazingly. I think that by splitting the franchise into separate games enables us to focus on specific types of gamers and to provide the kind of experience they want. Obviously it’s going to be a big change for some people. People who don’t like to brake- and in previous NFS titles it’s not something you necessarily had to do very much- might have to learn that this is a different kind of experience. It is a big change but we think that the different, optional, driver aids we’ve included mean that there is scope for people of different abilities to play the game.
Im happy to know they are listening.

ultim8p00

Banned
I want this game more than Forza 3. The cockpit view felt more intense and arcadey, and the engine sound during that e3 demo was just epic. It was like a jet engine or some shit.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
KillJade said:
I remember the days when this series used to be godly..sigh :( I hope this turns out to be great....but it won't be.
Why so pessimistic? The developers behind it have made some awesome racing games.

2hgh7vt.jpg

Amazing

Ranger X

kbear said:
Realism like you're describing doesn't always translate into really fun gameplay.

You don't have a point because it translate as fun for the fan of the racing sim genre.
When you don't like it or think it's not fun, you don't bitch about the games in the genre and you simply go play another racing game of the genre you like.

After a few weeks of quiet since E3 we're pleased to reveal a new game mode for Need for Speed SHIFT: Drifting. In the last few years the sport has rocketed in popularity to point where there are large, successful tournaments around the world. When it came time to add it to SHIFT we wanted to ensure the mode was treated with the same degree of accuracy as the rest of the game so we worked closely with Team Falken driver and World Champion Vaughn Gittin JR. Initially the plan was for Vaughn to play the game a few times and give some feedback but he ended up spending more than 100 hours with the team to make sure the Drift experience was as close to real-life as possible.

Designing and coding a drift mode has always been a very tricky experience particularly when trying to make it accessible for new gamers and hardcore gamers alike so the design team spent a lot of time working to make sure the mode is as hard (or as easy) as you want it to be. For new gamers an Amateur setting teaches the basic of Drifting and then slowly ups the skill level until they can complete against the best.

http://www.needforspeed.com/portal/...ntId=2d4813f93f662210VgnVCM1000006017780aRCRD

fd7l6q.jpg

2lkeb07.jpg

biv13o.jpg

2r3z67m.jpg

Video of the drifting mode

http://www.needforspeed.com/portal/...ntId=6927c90107162210VgnVCM1000006017780aRCRD

I'm so fucking torn, I bought a G25 (used) for 100 bucks a few weeks ago but all my racing friends are on 360 AAARGH. This game looks HOT.

Teknopathetic said:
If I had to choose between using a wheel and friends, I'd just have to make new friends.

Oh, I have a 360 wheel. It just isn't as good of a wheel.

And these are REAL friends, not just people I found online to avoid boredom. I LIKE them.

Probably going to have to pick up two versions, or at least use rentals to play more than one. Hell, I may play all three versions by the time it's all said and done, I have a HTPC, not just 360 and PS3. The G25 works with two of the three.

"And these are REAL friends, not just people I found online to avoid boredom. I LIKE them."

Real friends wouldn't make you choose between a G25 and them. What you *could* do is sell your G25 and your 360 wheel and put that money towards that Fanatech 360/PS3/PC wheel. Problem solved.

Teknopathetic said:
"And these are REAL friends, not just people I found online to avoid boredom. I LIKE them."

Real friends wouldn't make you choose between a G25 and them. What you *could* do is sell your G25 and your 360 wheel and put that money towards that Fanatech 360/PS3/PC wheel. Problem solved.

Heh, I have thought of that. :lol I'm considering it. Of course, the nice thing about keeping the G25 is I would have good pedals for the Fanatec.

Teknopathetic said:
At that point you might as well go balls out and get those sexy ass clubsport pedals Fanatec makes.

Fuck a budget.
...and god help his balls if he's married and she finds out how much it all cost. :D

Gomu Gomu

Drifting mode looks hot.

When you don't like it or think it's not fun, you don't bitch about the games in the genre and you simply go play another racing game of the genre you like.
that doesn't make gt or forza 'lacking', that's just the way they should be. Shift took the unrealistically fast approach and that's fine too, i'm just saying that i'm completely fine with preferring something faster, but i'm not when people criticize gt and forza for 'lacking' something that was never their focus.

I didn't mean to criticize GT or Forza or any racing sim. I just said I didn't like that aspect in those games.

Teknopathetic said:

That is one sexy wheel but holy shit is that expensive.

McLovin

Man.. everyone is stepping up their games in the racing genre. So many good games are gonna be lost in the tide. Right now I know I'm getting GT5 and Forza 3, but I think I might end up getting shift too.

Zhuk

Banned
Great looking game, shaping up to be the best NFS in a decade, a higher framerate is always nice for racing so that's why you get the PC version :)

Ranger X

Seriously, they keep insisting this game in on the sim side. The dev background also point to great simulation possibilities. The game looks great. PS3 version shouldn't suck.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO NOT BE TOTALLY SOLD?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
god damn, that drift video looked great. love the windy mountain stage with the heavily banked turns, and based solely on the video, they nailed the feel of drifting.

Top Bottom