• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii's next test: Dead Space Extraction

Sadist

"One of the explanations we have is that there's a lot of double ownership. So people having a Wii and a 360 and/or PS3. They're really playing different types of games on those two machines, and historically up to know we assume those people will have played the more mature content on the more high-tech machine. Dead Space: Extraction is going to be a very nice test of that hypothesis, because we're really building a game where the Wii version is very different to the Dead Space game on 360 and PS3, and we'll actually see whether we can reach more people with a) a great game and b) interesting content. If that's not going to work, then obviously the whole proposal from our point of view at least of more mature games on the Wii just does not work." - Dr. Jens Uwe Intat, European VP at Electronic Arts

Link here

Oh joy. Oh well, we'll still have the decent sportgames and Boom Blox.

someone needs to make a .jpg of the "Wii Mature Games Test" similar to that of the "Year of the Playstation 3" one where all the games are scratched off of it....

seriously though, gettin a little silly.

BrandNew said:
Then, well jesus, buy it people.
Well, here's the thing.

These tests can only be failed. Or negated. They can never, ever be passed.

The game could do great and the result to EA would be "Oh, Wii owners love on-rails shooters, good thing we know that now and don't have to put anymore effort in."

If the game does poorly, the result to EA would be "Man, Wii owners sure hate mature games, good thing we know that now and don't have to put anymore effort in."

Test games are, in essence, totally rigged.

Before we see posts about "More tests on Wii", this one is different.

EA and their mature games on Wii hypothesis: Gamers who own a Wii and a PS3/360/PC have played the original installment on the PC/360/PS3. Because of this, they are not going to do a port, but a completely different experience in the same universe while keeping key elements of the franchise intact.

Is there an audience for this? We are going to find out by November (October NPD releases then and Dead Space is released by the end of September).

It's a good thing they didn't water down the genre and turn it into a rail shooter then. Now we can finally see how Wii fans react to a full fledged high budget adventure game with comparable design choices to the HD iterations of the IP.

Wait, they what?

The Wii owner's Catch-22 continues...

SmallTimeLeon said:
Before we see posts about "More tests on Wii", this one is different.

EA and their mature games on Wii hypothesis: Gamers who own a Wii and a PS3/360/PC have played the original installment on the PC/360/PS3. Because of this, they are not going to do a port, but a completely different experience in the same universe while keeping key elements of the franchise intact.

Is there an audience for this? We are going to find out by November (October NPD releases then and Dead Space is released by the end of September).
A key element of the franchise to me is, like, movement.

There seems to be this false idea here that not doing a port means that it should automatically equal a rail shooter. There should not be complete and utter acceptance of this idea simply because it's the best EA is willing to give.

If this is a test, it's a multiple choice test with half the answers missing. Sure, it might squeak through, but it's a little fucking slanted.

Complainers about this game need to gtfo. I'm glad they went with this route, it fits the Wii's strengths much more than trying to make it similar to the 360/PS3 game.

BrandNew said:
Complainers about this game need to gtfo. I'm glad they went with this route, it fits the Wii's strengths much more than trying to make it similar to the 360/PS3 game.
Yeah, it would be totally crazy to actually make a game in the style of RE4 on the Wii. :p

Dudes, gimping the experience is like, a unique feature and stuff! "The Wii's strengths", smh.

Sadist

I'm buying, but I don't believe the game will actually perform well enough. I mean, the 360 and PS3 game didn't light up the charts exactly and now the Wii version needs to prove itself. Hmm.

Oh well, this quote is going into the official thread.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If it can capture the same atmosphere and intensity as Dead Space "HD" it could end up being an awesome game. Lightgun dismemberment sounds like fun to me. People seem to be critical towards Extraction just because its on the Wii and "on rails".

Sad to see another test statement. :(

Can't help this time guys. I was there for most all the other railshooters promptly, but it just can't hold up against the onslaught of the, remaining, Fall/Winter stuff with the dwindling funds otherwise.

Maybe next year for this and REDC unless lots of money falls my way.

Lenardo

Banned
if the game is good then it'll sell, they did say it would take 6 months to determine the results one way or the other- which unlike most 360/ps3 games the results are pretty much known by month 2

it LOOKS good, and i'm most likely going to buy it

BrandNew said:
I'm...confused

What about the Wii's strengths negate movement?

I've moved in a lot of Wii games. I don't remember it being particularly difficult.

RBH

MikeE21286 said:
someone needs to make a .jpg of the "Wii Mature Games Test" similar to that of the "Year of the Playstation 3" one where all the games are scratched off of it....
Somebody please do this. :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
you know, before, i didn't care much if this game did well or not, with a slight wish to see it do well, since the developer seems into it, and the tech is pretty good.

now i hope it bombs. HORRIBLY. fucking tests...

legend166

I'm not going to argue that the Wii is more suitable for 'mature' content than the other platforms, but that's some ridiculous logic.

"If our spinoff of a relatively unknown franchise in a genre that doesn't usually have big hits doesn't sell on the Wii, nothing will!"

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm...confused

What about the Wii's strengths negate movement?

I've moved in a lot of Wii games. I don't remember it being particularly difficult.

Isn't the system of shooting in Dead Space extremely similar to RE4 in fact?

I'll buy the game because I _KNOW_ it will be good.

Now, I played Dead Space on X360, and yes, I WAS disappointed by the fact that it's on-rails. Is it going to be bad? No, it's not. Do I wish it wasn't on-rails?

Yes.

Well I'm confused. I had assumed that RE:UC and DS:E were attempts to sell mature games to otherwise "casual" gamers. They expect us to buy them? :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I understand the complaints about it being on rails, but if they had made it similar to Dead Space HD, people would be shitting on it for being the ugly and/or gimped version, like COD4 wii. I guess its a lose-lose situation.

Snuggler said:
I understand the complaints about it being on rails, but if they had made it similar to Dead Space HD, people would be shitting on it for being the ugly and/or gimped version, like COD4 wii. I guess its a lose-lose situation.
The thing is

You do that and people can honestly say, yeah, they made their best effort. They didn't make compromises with this product. It was the best Wii game it could be.

But they're clearly compromising here and also saying "MAN, THERE'S NO REASON FOR THIS NOT TO SELL EXCEPT WII OWNERS BEING ASSHOLES" and that's making my head hurt from both sides.

Seriously? Wow.

Couple of things here...

1. Dead Space wasn't exactly a huge seller on the PS3/360
2. It's a railshooter, which typically don't sell well without IP recognition (see: RE: Chronicles)
3. If we "pass" the test, we're going to get more railshooters, not more traditional games like the original Dead Space. Not saying railshooters are bad, but I think the Wii should have its fill on them after Darkside Chronicles (for another year at least).

Personally, I think it won't do well at all, but it will be a great game. EA is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Scrubking

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, here's the thing.

These tests can only be failed. Or negated. They can never, ever be passed.

The game could do great and the result to EA would be "Oh, Wii owners love on-rails shooters, good thing we know that now and don't have to put anymore effort in."

If the game does poorly, the result to EA would be "Man, Wii owners sure hate mature games, good thing we know that now and don't have to put anymore effort in."

Test games are, in essence, totally rigged.

This is all anyone needs to know about Wii tests.

hellclerk

EmCeeGramr said:
you're a bad person
what happens when you have a good Nintendo fan put into a bad situation?

Snuggler said:
you see, i WOULD have bought a not-on-rails Extraction. THAT would interest me. and i'd totally want that one to succeed because a clear correlation can be brought up between HD Deadspace and the kinds of games that show up on HD systems. i wouldn't have cared that it didn't look as good. look at Shattered Memories for example. it seems to be perfectly creepy and scary, and all without "HD power." what matters to me is to have enjoyable, and wholesome experiences. the latter isn't really met with this game, since the on-rails aspects decrease the depth of the overall gameplay. it's almost insulting, to me AND every Wii owner.

Alcibiades

As a Wii owner I have no interest in anymore budget spinoffs... if this was a near-identical port of Dead Space with a mega-budget then it would catch my attention.

Where do they get the idea that there is a high amount of cross-ownership? Almost all the research so far says most gamers (mainstream and hardcore) own only one system.

Dead Space Extraction would be attractive if it came 6-12 months after a Wii port of Dead Space and was released at no more than $29.99.

Majmun

This is really getting tired...

Can't devs just make a good game and shut up about these support threats?

Mooreberg

we'll actually see whether we can reach more people with a) a great game and b) interesting content

Well he is clearly aware of what the winning formula has been for hit third party software on Wii. :lol

if this was a near-identical port of Dead Space with a mega-budget then it would catch my attention.

Isn't the entire point of courting developers the idea that it is less risky? What the hell would they be accomplishing by spending the same amount of money trying to sell something to a less responsive audience?

Meesh

grandjedi6 said:
The trick here is that hypothesises cannot be confirmed.
Kind of a n00b question, but wouldn't sales figures prove their reasoning? Sure they could claim DSE didn't sell enough...but hard numbers should prove one way or the other...unless development costs were high?
That EA VP statement sounds almost like a threat...buy or else...the weird thing is, while I can fully appreciate a new mature game designed for Wii (and will buy DSE), my heart still yearns for more of an over the shoulder adventure. And based on the statement made by EA, (if I may be a little facetious) Wii may only ever get on-rails-side-story type stuff because "the people that play the mainstream entries would rather play on 360 or PS3 and those are core gamers." So we're damned if we buy DSE, because if it succeeds we'll get another on rails sequel ala RE: DSC, and we're damned if we don't; we'll never get another Dead Space experience on Wii....I dunno, kinda frustrating...

Miau

Neo Member
This kind of attitude annoys me. Buy this or no more carrots to you?

They are the ones who want my money, make a good product, and if I can afford it I'll buy it. Treat your costumers with respect and don't pressure them, because I don't care if you fail.

Please, come back when I can move the characters legs.

hellclerk

Evilink said:
Kind of a n00b question, but wouldn't sales figures prove their reasoning? Sure they could claim DSE didn't sell enough...but hard numbers should prove one way or the other...unless development costs were high?
That EA VP statement sounds almost like a threat...buy or else...the weird thing is, while I can fully appreciate a new mature game designed for Wii (and will buy DSE), my heart still yearns for more of an over the shoulder adventure. And based on the statement made by EA, (if I may be a little facetious) Wii may only ever get on-rails-side-story type stuff because "the people that play the mainstream entries would rather play on 360 or PS3 and those are core gamers." So we're damned if we buy DSE, because if it succeeds we'll get another on rails sequel ala RE: DSC, and we're damned if we don't; we'll never get another Dead Space experience on Wii....I dunno, kinda frustrating...
and that's why i hope it bombs. this way, EA will actually get stung back for it.

I lost total interest when it was announced to be on rails, I will just play all the other on rails mature games on the Wii if I wanted on rails.

evilromero said:
I'll buy Silent Hill SM for Wii but I'm not touching a game that could have very well been a full-on third person adventure.
That's a pretty dumb reason to not buy a game imo, it would be like me saying i won't buy Silent Hill SM because it could have very well been a full fledged movie. Also from impressions from people who actually play this, i gathered that its pretty good, which is all that's important to me.

If there is justice in this world, then both DSE and RE: DSC will both bomb horribly. At least that way, Wii fans know not to get their hopes up when either franchise has a game coming only to be greeted with disappointment.

Johann

Golly! What happened to the days where a developer just would make what the consumer wanted to the best of their ability (and admit it was their fault if it didn't sell) without guilt-tripping the consumer into buying the game?

Arde5643

So they've finally come out saying that this is a test despite the many people in GAF saying that this was turned into a rail shooter because EA wanted a different version of the game on the Wii? :lol

Oh GAF, when will you learn, sometimes when 3rd party on the wii does something that's really stupidly obvious, that's because it is.

hellclerk

Cow Mengde said:
If there is justice in this world, then both DSE and RE: DSC will both bomb horribly. At least that way, Wii fans know not to get their hopes up when either franchise has a game coming only to be greeted with disappointment.
DSC will sell just fine, but all things considered, Capcom will probably end up making a fully fledged RE game for the Wii, even RE5.

edit: i have to stop half-assing my posts like DR:CTYD :lol

flintstryker said:
That's a pretty dumb reason to not buy a game imo, it would be like me saying i won't buy Silent Hill SM because it could have very well been a full fledged movie. Also from impressions from people who actually play this, i gathered that its pretty good, which is all that's important to me.
perhaps it would be better to say that as a on rails shooter, it doesn't interest one way or the other. the fact of what could have been just makes things sting all the more. it would be like instead of getting a sequel to your favorite animated film, they do a shitty, low budget slice of life spinoff on Disney or Nickelodeon with none of the original voice cast to cash in instead.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's just as much of a test for Dead Space, which was an excellent game that came out of nowhere. Like Batman Arkham Asylum. think multi-console owners will be picking up Dead Space on Wii because they're fond of it, not because they want to sample some new genre on the Wii.

Every day on this message board, I am not exaggerating, I read something that makes me lose more faith in the industry or game "journalists". This is the quotation that does it for today.

I'm a multiplatform owner, I like my Wii and I'd like more "core" games, as dumb as I think that designation sounds. I've bought pretty much every "test" so far and have been happy with most of them, but I don't know if I'll be doing that this time. Maybe I'll just use my Wii for niche Japanese games and Nintendo franchises (as well as the odd honest third-party effort). I'm so sick of the tests, the moving goalposts, the half-assed efforts and the condescending tone. They can keep their "core" games at this point.

Top Bottom