• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii's next test: Dead Space Extraction

Sadist

leroy hacker said:
So you're saying the original Dead Space was made by a "Triple-A Wii team at Eurocom."
No, he's saying that Visceral Games is developing the game and is being helped by some Eurocom employees.

Yagharek

"One of the explanations we have is that there's a lot of double ownership. So people having a Wii and a 360 and/or PS3. They're really playing different types of games on those two machines, and historically up to know we assume those people will have played the more mature content on the more high-tech machine. Dead Space: Extraction is going to be a very nice test of that hypothesis, because we're really building a game where the Wii version is very different to the Dead Space game on 360 and PS3, and we'll actually see whether we can reach more people with a) a great game and b) interesting content. If that's not going to work, then obviously the whole proposal from our point of view at least of more mature games on the Wii just does not work." - Dr. Jens Uwe Intat, European VP at Electronic Arts

Sigh.

Why not let the market decide if its a good game instead of releasing 'test' games. There were no 'test' games on PS3, or 360, or Ps2, or Gamecube, or XBox, or N64, or Ps1, or Saturn. Why change now? Make a good game, make a popular game, or dont bother crying if it flops.

Koodo

Banned
Miau said:
This kind of attitude annoys me. Buy this or no more carrots to you?

They are the ones who want my money, make a good product, and if I can afford it I'll buy it. Treat your costumers with respect and don't pressure them, because I don't care if you fail.

Please, come back when I can move the characters legs.
I want to quote this, because it's true.

The only 'testing' being done in the gaming industry is by customers to producers. A producer is unhappy with a game's performance? Fucking do something better, especially on the Wii, where Nintendo by itself is meeting almost all of their customers' demands.

Threatening to stop producing a type of game or leave the platform entirely? Money left on the table for others to grab (which has already happened).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
"One of the explanations we have is that there's a lot of double ownership," he said. "So people having a Wii and a 360 and/or PS3. They're really playing different types of games on those two machines, and historically up to know we assume those people will have played the more mature content on the more high-tech machine.

"Dead Space: Extraction is going to be a very nice test of that hypothesis, because we're really building a game where the Wii version is very different to the Dead Space game on 360 and PS3, and we'll actually see whether we can reach more people with a) a great game and b) interesting content."

Utterly bonkers. Completely off the wall. If you want to test that hypothesis nice and cheaply, how about, well, you read some research maybe. Or do some yourself.

NPD April 2008 said:
The NPD also pointed out that multiple console ownership in the current console lifecycle is currently very low; just three percent said that they own two of the three systems (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii). Two percent said they own all three.

There. That's saved you several million already. OK, so it is old research but you can probably find some that is more recent - it might take just a touch more than the three minutes it took me to find that one.

The upshot is that if you go for the Wii market based on a franchise that Wii-only owners aren't interested in because they don't have the consoles it is on, you can't rely on the franchise to boost the sales. So you have to advertise.

It also means that your assumption is wrong.

jump_button said:
this game a test im not buying it Im sick of being told to buy wii games
Oh man, bad timing, bad timing. If you had just bought this one game you could have had it all. This was the true test, the one that was going to once and for all open the floodgates to all sorts of new and interesting "mature" content on the Wii. It's a shame really. EA was this close to showing you wonders you never knew could exist. Now you'll never know what might have been. :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tiktaalik said:
They didn't make a 3rd person game because they didn't want to deal with the nightmare of making a 3rd person game set a tight dungeon environment with no way to control the camera.

Did you all not play video games in the 32 bit days or something?
Last time I checked, 32 bit consoles didn't have IR pointers to be honest.

phisheep said:
Utterly bonkers. Completely off the wall. If you want to test that hypothesis nice and cheaply, how about, well, you read some research maybe. Or do some yourself.

There. That's saved you several million already. OK, so it is old research but you can probably find some that is more recent - it might take just a touch more than the three minutes it took me to find that one.

The upshot is that if you go for the Wii market based on a franchise that Wii-only owners aren't interested in because they don't have the consoles it is on, you can't rely on the franchise to boost the sales. So you have to advertise.

It also means that your assumption is wrong.
This is exactly what I thought when I read these statements yesterday.
Aiming for a small niche of rail shooter fans within the small niche of Dead Space fans within the incredibly small niche of multi-console owners? Smart business here, if this is indeed what they were aiming at.
I loved Dead Space, and I'm buying Extraction if the reviews are good.

jump_button said:

only good 3rd party game on wii are NMH and MH3
And MadWorld, despite its blatant flaws. NMH is still the best third party overall game on the console.

CTLance

Oy yey.

Being a gamer first and a blubbering fanboy second I'll try to judge the game on its qualities, but statements like the one in the OP make this very hard. I am growing sick and tired of these bullshit threats.

...!

"Make games, not threats." :D

Mithos

I really don't like these "tests".

Having said that, I'll most likely pick up both the Dead Space and Dark Chronicles "on wheels" editions.

Ormberg

As a Wii only console owner i smh at these kinds of statements. Just give me a game you, as a company, want to produce and play sitting in your comfy couch!

God my PC can't come soon enough.

Hey EA, can you read this? I'll buy RE: DSC just to despite you.

It is actually a franchise that i care about, that is already established on the system.

So don't cry when DSC sells a million, okay?

Jerid

Banned
SilverLunar said:
Hey EA, can you read this? I'll buy RE: DSC just to despite you.

It is actually a franchise that i care about, that is already established on the system.

So don't cry when DSC sells a million, okay?

Darkside Chronicles is also a rail gun shooter outsourced to Cavia for development, kinda like DS Extraction is an outsourced rail shooter. With neither of the main franchises, Dead Space or RE5 being rail shooters.

So whats up with the double standards?

Sipowicz

Banned
Danthrax said:
Dead Space Extraction isn't outsourced. It's being made by the same team that made the original Dead Space.

it's being "co-developed" as far i know. they can use whatever flowery language they want but it's still been outsourced and it's still a hastily put together arcade game wannabe

AniHawk said:
So according to this, Resident Evil: Dead Aim should have been a pretty good effort since there was already a full-fledged Resident Evil survival horror game on the PS2- even though it was a port. Dead Aim, as I'm sure you know, wasn't really all that well-received.

nah man. i'm saying that resident evil is a lot more popular as a series, there was already some brand recognition on the wii and capcom are actually half-decent on the wii

both games are shitty arcade game spinoffs as far as i can tell. i'm more more likely to buy the resident evil one (when it's cheap though)

Sipowicz said:
both games are shitty arcade game spinoffs as far as i can tell
blah. i weep for people like you.

this resurgence of light gun games is awesome.

you can see them as stripped down arcade spin offs, but i see them as epic light gun shooters that actually push the genre forwards for the first time in ages.

people that have actually played extraction and darkside chronicles have great things to say about them.

they sit in the minority of Wii games that actually try to push the system graphically too. they aren't half assed projects.

if you think we're still in Resident Evil Gun Survivor territory you're completely wrong.

Dyno

If a lightgun shooter sold for $30 then I'd be all for it but these games have a big boy price tag and in that regard utterly fail to deliver value.

How about adding on-rails multiplayer?

:lol

Sipowicz said:
it's being "co-developed" as far i know. they can use whatever flowery language they want but it's still been outsourced and it's still a hastily put together arcade game wannabe

nah man. i'm saying that resident evil is a lot more popular as a series, there was already some brand recognition on the wii and capcom are actually half-decent on the wii

both games are shitty arcade game spinoffs as far as i can tell. i'm more more likely to buy the resident evil one (when it's cheap though)

so basically you lie to yourself and others

Dyno said:
If a lightgun shooter sold for $30 then I'd be all for it but these games have a big boy price tag and in that regard utterly fail to deliver value.

Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead: Overkill both had more than enough content to justify their price tags.

also, this has on-rails multiplayer co-op, with specific puzzles and features tailored to the mode.

hows about we wait until it's out to decide if it there's enough content to justify the cost or not?

Sipowicz

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Oh man, bad timing, bad timing. If you had just bought this one game you could have had it all. This was the true test, the one that was going to once and for all open the floodgates to all sorts of new and interesting "mature" content on the Wii. It's a shame really. EA was this close to showing you wonders you never knew could exist. Now you'll never know what might have been. :(

this is their idea of "core support". a single cheaply made arcade game spinoff of one of their good games on the pc. outsourced and full priced naturally, but this time it has a bit of blood in it!

once again they're just copying their peers with as little effort as possible, this time doing what capcom did 2 years ago. they did the exact same thing with mario kart and wii fit

if ea announced an internally developed game from one of their decent teams that wasnt a dumbed down spinoff or a direct copy of everything else on the wii then i'd be all over it

they wont so ill stick to tiger woods from this year and ignore the rest of their cheap shit on the console.

Sipowicz said:
this is their idea of "core support". a single cheaply made arcade game spinoff of one of their good games on the pc.
you pulled this out of your ass. you are guessing at the budget. Dead Space Extraction looks good for a wii game, but you decide that it's cheaply made. why?

outsourced and full priced naturally, but this time it has a bit of blood in it!

once again they're just copying their peers with as little effort as possible, this time doing what capcom did 2 years ago. they did the exact same thing with mario kart and wii fit
you could argue that they did the same thing with Dead Space in the first place. it's as close a copy of RE4 as we have. it's still good enough and different enough to justify itself though.

why are you so sure the same won't be true of Extraction when compared to Umbrella Chronicles?

if ea announced an internally developed game from one of their decent teams that wasnt a dumbed down spinoff or a direct copy of everything else on the wii then i'd be all over it
how is it dumbed down? it's a different genre is all.

i'm sick and tired of light gun shooters being considered casual all of sudden, ever since they started coming out on the wii.

they wont so ill stick to tiger woods from this year and ignore the rest of their cheap shit on the console.
you'll decide it's cheap based on nothing, and ignore it, you mean.

Sipowicz

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
you mean dead space extraction, a game developed by visceral studios

along with "triple A wii developers" eurocom. an on-rails guided first person spinoff that was apparently shat out in a few months and has been turned into an arcade game so it'll cost less to make and the casuals can play it

i know you disagree with me man but i honestly dont see the allure. and i dont see the sense of supporting a lazy lightgun game spinoff unless you want more of them

ah well. hope you enjoy it

Sipowicz said:
along with "triple A wii developers" eurocom. an on-rails guided first person spinoff that was apparently shat out in a few months and has been turned into an arcade game so it'll cost less to make and the casuals can play it

i know you disagree with me man but i honestly dont see the allure. and i dont see the sense of supporting a lazy lightgun game spinoff unless you want more of them

It doesn't seem lazy or "shat out" at all (I'm not sure why you keep saying that), and I see no indication that Eurocom is involved as anything other than extra code monkeys. All the design, art, and story stuff is clearly handled by Visceral.

Sipowicz said:

would you PLEASE stop shitting on light gun games as if the entire genre is crap?

yes. it is a light gun game.

that doesn't mean it will be shit.

dead space extraction is graphically one of the best looking games on the system, and yet, you think it's some shit rush job for some reason i can't fathom beyond the fact that it is a light gun shooter.

jump_button said:

only good 3rd party game on wii are NMH and MH3
While I disagree about the 3rd party statement, I agree 100% with being sick of being told to buy stuff.

The guilt trip reminds me of the auto-worker "buy american" crap I have to listen to all the time. I'm a consumer, I'm not a charity, I spend my money on what appeals to me period. If I'm not buying your product and you would like me to then do a better job. Buying things just to place a "vote" with my dollars out of a sense of support or duty is ridiculous to me.

Latley I've come to just ignore this entire subject and it only comes to mind when Gaf as a thread about it. The situation is dissapointing because I had higher hopes of Wii's potential but whatever, I still have fun. If a game comes out that I want for Wii then I buy it.

Sipowicz said:
unless you want more of them
Yes please. I play the fuck out of these games and will continue to.

You don't find the appeal? That's cool; I just choose not to shit on games that don't appeal to me, though, for no reason other than that they don't appeal to me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No one else thought that last dev walkthrough video with the huge boss looked awesome?

Totally buying this

farnham

Banned
im getting extraction and dark side chronicles (if they are not completely bad)

but the real rail shooter im waiting is House of the Dead Overkill 2

Dyno said:

co op in house of the dead is really really good.. same with umbrella chronicles although that game is simply too long to be enjoyed in co op mode since you cant beat it in one sitting

shichishito said:
Yes please. I play the fuck out of these games and will continue to.

You don't find the appeal? That's cool; I just choose not to shit on games that don't appeal to me, though, for no reason other than that they don't appeal to me.

When people say "what do you want, more lightgun games and minigame collections" I think about Gunblade NY, Silent Scope, Warioware, Rhythm Heaven, etc. and that sounds pretty damn good. The implication that there's some sort of genre hierarchy is absurd.

plagiarize said:
would you PLEASE stop shitting on light gun games as if the entire genre is crap?

yes. it is a light gun game.

that doesn't mean it will be shit.

dead space extraction is graphically one of the best looking games on the system, and yet, you think it's some shit rush job for some reason i can't fathom beyond the fact that it is a light gun shooter.

In addition people who have actually played the game have come away pretty much universally impressed (including those who were clearly unhappy about the on-rail aspect). Just because Extraction isn't what you would have dreamed up doesn't mean that it won't be solid, fun game.

I find I enjoy myself a lot more living in the land of what is versus what I wish it could be.

Saint10118 said:
In addition people who have actually played the game have come away pretty much universally impressed (including those who were clearly unhappy about the on-rail aspect). Just because Extraction isn't what you would have dreamed up doesn't mean that it won't be solid, fun game.

I find I enjoy myself a lot more living in the land of what is versus what I wish it could be.
i wonder if it's more of a Dead Space thing in this case.

people shat on the original Dead Space before playing it too, and boy did people change their tune once they got their hands on the final product.

hands on impressions are good. gameplay videos show a lot of polish and high production values. until reviews, and until i get to try it myself, we really don't have any more to go on than gameplay and hands on impressions.

at this point, the only reason to suspect the game is shit is because you want it to be. it may turn out to be shit of course, but we have no reason to suspect it based on what the game IS.

farnham

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
When people say "what do you want, more lightgun games and minigame collections" I think about Gunblade NY, Silent Scope, Warioware, Rhythm Heaven, etc. and that sounds pretty damn good. The implication that there's some sort of genre hierarchy is absurd.
The Prime Genre is FPS and GTA like games

JudgeN

plagiarize said:
Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead: Overkill both had more than enough content to justify their price tags.

also, this has on-rails multiplayer co-op, with specific puzzles and features tailored to the mode.

hows about we wait until it's out to decide if it there's enough content to justify the cost or not?

I disagree my fiancé and I beat both UC and overkill in a 5 day rental at blockbuster, unlocked all the modes in UC and beat the normal and director cut in overkill. While light gun shooters are fun while they last, Ive never had a light gun shooter last longer then 5 days. The genre should have never been introduced at full price IMO. I'm excited for Extraction like everyone else but I just can't put down full price on a game that I know won't last me longer then 5 days.

Darkky

For EA to mention that the game is a 'test' has already hinted that they are sceptical towards the game's sales. I don't think EA will be convinced - however good the sales are - in any way that the Wii will be a lucrative market for their mature titles.

Sipowicz

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
It doesn't seem lazy or "shat out" at all (I'm not sure why you keep saying that), and I see no indication that Eurocom is involved as anything other than extra code monkeys. All the design, art, and story stuff is clearly handled by Visceral.

we dont really know what capacity eurocom are involved in, same as with cavia on umbrella chronicles. i doubt they're doing the art and stuff on extraction though because it looks as if they're recycling stuff from the proper game

the reason i think it's lazy or shat out is because it's a lightgun game which typically arent that expensive to make. eurocom are "helping out". they announced it pretty quickly after the real dead space and seem to be releasing it fairly quickly too. i also think it's lazy in the sense that they're just copying capcom circa 2007. i know that copying's kind of par for the course when it comes to ea on wii but i still think it's crap

plagiarize said:

i dont know where you're getting this impression. i like lightgun games such as overkill and ghost squad. but i like other genres as well

i dont like it when develoeprs make arcade game spinoffs of survival horror games to save a few bucks. i also dont like it when they use obfuscation and blackmail as marketing tools. i dont like eurocom. i dont like paying full price for these games. i dont like it when the games have massive curosrs or take themselves too seriously. i dont like umbrella chronicles. i dont like ea's wii support (outside of tiger woods). i dont like companies who are too creatively bankrupt to do something new so they just copy everyone else. that's what i dont like

JudgeN said:
I disagree my fiancé and I beat both UC and overkill in a 5 day rental at blockbuster, unlocked all the modes in UC and beat the normal and director cut in overkill. While light gun shooters are fun while they last, Ive never had a light gun shooter last longer then 5 days. The genre should have never been introduced at full price IMO. I'm excited for Extraction like everyone else but I just can't put down full price on a game that I know won't last me longer then 5 days.
i beat the original dead space in 9 hours.

so how is Umbrella Chronicles worse value? what survival horror game would you struggle to beat in a 5 day rental?

Fady K

John Harker said:
No one else thought that last dev walkthrough video with the huge boss looked awesome?

Totally buying this

Yes, same here. Horror fan, Dead Space fan, and besides this is a prequel to the game, can't miss it :) Its actually cool that we're getting two first person on rails horror games for the Wii based on cool franchises in the same quarter.

JudgeN said:
It definitely depends on your goal for the game. My wife and I still play UC from time to time, despite unlocking everything. It's just a fun experience for us to fire up every once in a while.

It took us much longer than five days to get all the files and improve our scores for each scenario, though. Unlocking all the levels was just the beginning of that game at the very least.

I thought that was kind of the point of these games. You can play in short bursts, but there is a lot of replayability in an attempt to always best your previous efforts/score. Reminds me of the good ol' arcade days.

Fady K said:
Yes, same here. Horror fan, Dead Space fan, and besides this is a prequel to the game, can't miss it :) Its actually cool that we're getting two first person on rails horror games for the Wii based on cool franchises in the same quarter.
plus we get Shattered Memories and if it's your kind of bag, The Grudge interactive haunted house thing.

the Wii is currently the platform to own if you're a horror fan.

which is mad, and which will no doubt change, but it's still mad.

Stink

Horror games seem to fundamentally be about restricting you in some way. Bad lighting (i.e. torches), tank controls, etc. used as functions to increase tension. A rails shooter is a logical progression to make you feel even more helpless as you relentlessly grind forward, unable to pause either tactically or even for breath.

They should totally remove the pause button as well.

Sipowicz

Banned
plagiarize said:
yeah i don't know either. man, i'm just hallucinating or something.

yeah, and?

i think it's lazy and shat out because they've turned it into an arcade game and which typically cost less to make which capcom did two years ago, they've outsourced "parts of it" it to eurocom, they're releasing it fairly quickly after unveiling it etc

nowhere have i said i dont enjoy lightgun games

Sadist

Ha.

Anyway, the point of the thread is indeed talking about those stupid "test" arguments. But either way, the Wii can't win.

Another question, GAF has rules about posting "Official threads", when can you post one? About an week before the release?

Fady K

plagiarize said:
plus we get Shattered Memories and if it's your kind of bag, The Grudge interactive haunted house thing.

the Wii is currently the platform to own if you're a horror fan.

which is mad, and which will no doubt change, but it's still mad.

Even though I heard it sucked i'm picking up the Grudge too, seems like you're quite a horror fan yourself. Speaking of horror titles on the Wii, have you heard of Cursed Mountain? I'm planning to pick this one up real soon.

Top Bottom