• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii's next test: Dead Space Extraction

I think it's pretty safe to ignore the whole "test" thing. The 20 years (scratch that, 100s of years) of the simple concept of buying quality items will Apply to Dead Space Extraction just as it did RE4: Wii, Umbrella Chronicles, Dead Rising, and any Wii game that a company wants to sell, as well as all competing products in any market that at all involves commerce.

I must say though, condensing this guy's statement into "we're running tests to see if these Wii idiots like good games" is worth a chuckle or two.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Evilink said:
Kind of a n00b question, but wouldn't sales figures prove their reasoning? Sure they could claim DSE didn't sell enough...but hard numbers should prove one way or the other...unless development costs were high?
The very idea behind a hypothesis is that it can not be proven because a future test could always end up showing it false. At best a hypothesis with enough evidence can merely be a reasonable action to follow. For example, in this scenario, as others have mentioned, no matter how many of these "tests" the Wii passes one failed test will show everything as false. So no matter how many mature lightgun games have already done well on the Wii, all it will take is Dead Space bombing to show EA's hypothesis as false.

John

Fimbulvetr said:
Isn't the system of shooting in Dead Space extremely similar to RE4 in fact?
Yep, only you can move while doing it, you don't have to pause to switch weapon, and looking up and down is a lot easier.

doomed1 said:
DSC will sell just fine, but all things considered, Capcom will probably

perhaps it would be better to say that as a on rails shooter, it doesn't interest one way or the other
. the fact of what could have been just makes things sting all the more. it would be like instead of getting a sequel to your favorite animated film, they do a shitty, low budget slice of life spinoff on Disney or Nickelodeon with none of the original voice cast to cash in instead.
This is all well and good, but i am not buying into your reasoning that being a Rail Shooter makes the game a shitty spinoff by default.

Alcibiades

Mooreberg said:
Isn't the entire point of courting developers the idea that it is less risky?
I doubt gamers looking at a full-priced budget spinoff on shelves are going to care what Nintendo execs told EA about development budgets. For $50 I expect Dead Space (yes, a near identical port not one made to take care of the Wii's "strengths" which is code for cheap 2nd-rate sidegame) with a AAA budget, regardless of what courting went on.

What the hell would they be accomplishing by spending the same amount of money trying to sell something to a less responsive audience?
Maybe a game that sells a decent amount, garners a Dead Space fanbase on Wii, and turns a profit?

Less responsive doesn't mean not responsive, and we don't know how it would have sold in comparison to the other versions. Some hardcore games in Wii have outsold PS3 versions it's not exactly an unusual.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
flintstryker said:
This is all well and good, but i am not buying into your reasoning that being a Rail Shooter makes the game a shitty spinoff by default.
it doesn't. i never said it did. all i, and the other person said was that coming off of the original, Extraction would have logically followed in that direction, and i would have been very interested. however, it didn't, and thus i'm not. it becomes even more annoying knowing what it could have been.

it's like when you referenced Silent Hill: SM. you see, Shattered Memories follows a logical and clear progression from previous games. the game genre (major mechanics) is still essentially the same, the only thing that's changed is some the mechanics. it's still Silent Hill, not Silent Hill: Touch. Extraction has completely jumped genre. the only things that have remained are basic themes and minor mechanics.

AniHawk

Unlike stuff like REDSC, this is pretty cool. People who don't think effort's been put into this game don't know what they're talking about.

Sipowicz

Banned
if wii owners dont buy a hastily made rail shooter spinoff of a good hd game then they're not "hardcore" enough

it's made by eurocom ffs. one of the finest developers on the planet

AniHawk

Sipowicz said:
if wii owners dont buy a hastily made rail shooter spinoff of a good hd game then they're not "hardcore" enough

it's made by eurocom ffs. one of the finest developers on the planet

On the plus side, they're not cavia.

hellclerk

AniHawk said:
Unlike stuff like REDSC, this is pretty cool. People who don't think effort's been put into this game don't know what they're talking about.
oh no, there's definitely some serious effort put into this by the developers, just not EA, who's the only one that really matters here.

GavinGT

Banned
This game is going to sell like shit. It's hardly a test of anything, though. You have to have a huge franchise to sell a mature game on Wii. EA apparently thinks Dead Space is big enough, but I don't.

Yeah, the people who made the game and put a lot of effort into it don't matter when it comes to buying a game, it's comments made by the vice president of the European branch of the publisher that matter. I hope it fails just for that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to stick an icepick into my frontal lobe.

AniHawk

Evilink said:
Did you play REDSC at E3, was it really that bad? (serious here)

I haven't played Umbrella Chronicles, so I only have Extraction to compare it to. It just felt like a standard lightgun shooter, not particularly engaging or different from other games in the genre in any way.

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:
On the plus side, they're not cavia.

but if they keep at it, they may one day reach that imposible dream

i'd like to see the people at EA release a 50 dollar dead space rail shooter spinoff made by eurocom on the 360/ps3

not only because it would be a real test of their idiotic theories. but also because it might sell a bit better. The real dead space games that popularised the series are on those systems so there'll be a bit of brand awareness there

and a company that's as badly managed as EA needs all the money it can get

GavinGT said:
This game is going to sell like shit.

i hope it does

if it sells well it'll set a dangerous precedent on the platform. and ea will continue pumping out their cheap, simplified, predictable shit for the wii

AniHawk

Sipowicz said:
if it sells well it'll set a dangerous precedent on the platform. and ea will continue pumping out their cheap, simplified, predictable shit for the wii

Whatever you think of Extraction, I can assure you the Resident Evil lightgun efforts are worse and took less effort. This is based on research, science, and facts.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No way EA. Screw you. No more tests. It's dumb, and I'm not falling for it. There are enough awesome Wii games out there right now (and tons on the way) that we don't have to put up with your "AHDURR IF YOU DON'T BUY THIS GAME WE'RE NOT GONNA GO HARDCORE ON WII ANYMORE, DERP DERP DERP" threat/test bull.

If the game looks good on its own merits, then I'll buy it. Anything else is nonsense.

You morons have it backwards. You're competing for OUR time, we're not competing for yours.

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:
Whatever you think of Extraction, I can assure you the Resident Evil lightgun efforts are worse and took less effort. This is based on research, science, and facts.

the resident evil games are based on a popular series. there's also full fledged resident evil survival horror game already on the platform (even if it's a port).

dead space is (as far as i can tell) another shitty, outsourced arcade game spinoff. only this time it's based on an unpopular franchise frm other consoles and the real dead space games didn't sell too good in the first place

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The whole "I want Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space to fail" thing really annoys me because I want lightgun games to succeed on the Wii. I want more of them.

The OP's quote itself, though, just makes me shake my head and sigh.

squinters

astigmatic
One of the things I hate is that it seems I have to buy a mature game to get another on the Wii. Even if the first one isn't good. Yes, I want mature games, but no, I don't want to waste $50 on a medicore one.

I don't know how it will even go. Are a million buyers gonna get a game, only on the hope that the sequel will be three times as good?

AniHawk

Sipowicz said:
the resident evil games are based on a popular series. there's also full fledged resident evil survival horror game already on the platform (even if it's a port).

So according to this, Resident Evil: Dead Aim should have been a pretty good effort since there was already a full-fledged Resident Evil survival horror game on the PS2- even though it was a port. Dead Aim, as I'm sure you know, wasn't really all that well-received.

dead space is (as far as i can tell) another shitty, outsourced arcade game spinoff. only this time it's based on an unpopular franchise frm other consoles and the real dead space games didn't sell too good in the first place

Extraction is in the same genre as UC and DSC. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how you can apply "shitty outsourced arcade spinoff" to the former and not the latter. The game was not unpopular. In fact, it was pretty well-received by critics and enthusiasts alike, and it sold over 500k in the US in 2008. I'm not sure what the sales of Dead Space have to do with the quality of Extraction anyway.

hellclerk

Danthrax said:
The whole "I want Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space to fail" thing really annoys me because I want lightgun games to succeed on the Wii. I want more of them.

i want lightgun games built as lightgun games. i want more HotD, i want more Ghost Squad, i want some Virtua Cop, maybe a whole new one, i'd love to see some Time Crisis hit the Wii too. in fact, if a developer could come up with a whole new and creative lightgun game that's designed around the concept of, here's the kicker, an ON-RAILS SHOOTING GAME, i would eat it up! what i don't want is another game getting shoehorned into the genre because it seems like a good idea to make some quick cash. that's why i won't buy the Chronicle games and that's why i'm not buying Extraction as well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Danthrax said:

It is pretty funny to see people wish for the failure of one of the few genres that actually does well on the Wii.

Ploid 3.0

It's probably on rails because of the popularity of the waggle. Sure it could be like RE4 but the casuals will probably like the on rails more. Mature story with waggle, they aimed in the middle.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sipowicz said:

Dead Space Extraction isn't outsourced. It's being made by the same team that made the original Dead Space.

doomed1 said:
i want lightgun games built as lightgun games. i want more HotD, i want more Ghost Squad, i want some Virtua Cop, maybe a whole new one, i'd love to see some Time Crisis hit the Wii too. in fact, if a developer could come up with a whole new and creative lightgun game that's designed around the concept of, here's the kicker, an ON-RAILS SHOOTING GAME, i would eat it up! what i don't want is another game getting shoehorned into the genre because it seems like a good idea to make some quick cash. that's why i won't buy the Chronicle games and that's why i'm not buying Extraction as well.

....I see.

I'd like more genuine lightgun games like Ghost Squad and Time Crisis (oh God do I want TC on Wii) but I'm pretty much taking what I can get this fall with RE:DSC and DS:E (and Nerf N-Strike 2, even). Even if their concepts are being shoehorned into the genre, they're still lightgun games and I want to play them.

Jerid

Banned
This is why you buy one of the HD consoles, and stop being an emotional invested fanboy because this situation is happening because of the way Nintendo designed and marketed the system, and because of the games that made it success ful.

Mind you Nintendo didn't pioneer into violent mature games, or horror games themselves to path an audience for them to release games to to a steady and reliable audience. So stop whining.

ZAK said:
The ultimate test is Red Steel 2. Everyone else can go suck a dick.

That's a pretty good point. High production values, not on rails, somewhat of a known franchise. I'm looking forward to it but expecting a flawed experience. There's a lot of (understandable) enthusiasm in many previews, but others seem to highlight serious control issues, which could be a total game-killer. Regardless, will be buying and will find a way to make it work for me.

Jerid

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
It's a good thing they didn't water down the genre and turn it into a rail shooter then. Now we can finally see how Wii fans react to a full fledged high budget adventure game with comparable design choices to the HD iterations of the IP.

Another question why should developers make budgeted games on a par with PS360/PC games when the whole appeal of the Wii was initially lower development costs, and how HD visuals and assest creation is killing gaming.

Everyone knows the Wii core wants games that revival FFXIII and MGS4 budgetwise, but it kinda goes against what the system has stood for and what its been praised for.

linsivvi

Jerid said:
Another question why should developers make budgeted games on a par with PS360/PC games when the whole appeal of the Wii was initially lower development costs, and how HD visuals and assest creation is killing gaming.

Everyone knows the Wii core wants games that revival FFXIII and MGS4 budgetwise, but it kinda goes against what the system has stood for and what its been praised for.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Tiktaalik

They didn't make a 3rd person game because they didn't want to deal with the nightmare of making a 3rd person game set a tight dungeon environment with no way to control the camera.

Did you all not play video games in the 32 bit days or something?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tiktaalik said:
They didn't make a 3rd person game because they didn't want to deal with the nightmare of making a 3rd person game set a tight dungeon environment with no way to control the camera.

no, I skipped the 32-bit days and wait straight for the 64-bit ones

aeolist

Banned
Jerid said:
This is why you buy one of the HD consoles, and stop being an emotional invested fanboy because this situation is happening because of the way Nintendo designed and marketed the system, and because of the games that made it success ful.

Mind you Nintendo didn't pioneer into violent mature games, or horror games themselves to path an audience for them to release games to to a steady and reliable audience. So stop whining.
I have a nice PC and played Dead Space in 1080p at 60fps and it looked glorious and was so much fun.

I would also buy a Wii third-person shooter Dead Space game if they made a non-port iteration of the series because I loved RE4 on the Wii so much.

hellclerk

Jerid said:

a decently budgeted Wii game clocks in at around 7-15 million dollars, with 20-25 million on the EXTREME upper end (probably hasn't even been touched). a high budget HD game can hit anywhere in the range of 20-60 million dollars with 100 million on the upper end. you get the 20-30 million dollar range only when you have prior technology to fall back on. there are exceptions to this of course, such as Gears of War 2, which was made for as little as 10 million, though that also largely had to do with the fact that their work was pretty much already done for them with the UE3. lower development costs are already built into the Wii, except that they're cutting costs even further. think of a factory paying lower than livable wage in a 3rd world country of your choosing, even though the livable wage is literally cents on the dollar.

be mindful of what questions you type, there's always someone who has the answer, and you may not always like it.

freddy

Banned
Jerid said:
This is why you buy one of the HD consoles, and stop being an emotional invested fanboy
There are people who don't like dual analogue controls and prefer the Wii control method to mouse and keyboard.

What the guy from EA is saying is that there may not be enough of these type of gamers around to justify the expense. At the same time 3rd parties including EA have made very little effort in producing games of high quality that may fit the mould a fan of the type of games that proliferate on the lesser selling consoles might like.

That doesn't make your response any less narrow-minded though. You need to take into account other peoples preferences may be different to yours before you label everyone who has differing views on the subject an "emotional invested fanboy".

kenji

i will never buy this game.. A SPIN OFF ON RAILS is NOT a test for mature games...

i am buying muramasa, as well as FF crystal bearers and tatsunoko vs capcom and sin and punishment 2, which deserve to be bought more

Jerid

Banned
doomed1 said:
a decently budgeted Wii game clocks in at around 7-15 million dollars, with 20-25 million on the EXTREME upper end (probably hasn't even been touched). a high budget HD game can hit anywhere in the range of 20-60 million dollars with 100 million on the upper end. you get the 20-30 million dollar range only when you have prior technology to fall back on. there are exceptions to this of course, such as Gears of War 2, which was made for as little as 10 million, though that also largely had to do with the fact that their work was pretty much already done for them with the UE3. lower development costs are already built into the Wii, except that they're cutting costs even further. think of a factory paying lower than livable wage in a 3rd world country of your choosing, even though the livable wage is literally cents on the dollar.

be mindful of what questions you type, there's always someone who has the answer, and you may not always like it.

You can always make a low budget HD game, PC games have been "HD" since the 90s. Stuff like 3D Dot Heroes and Tales of Vesperia are pretty cheap to develop, especially noting Vesperia uses 2D backdrops, and the levels have PS2 level geometry.

While Red Steel cost more than Gears to make. In the end there is little to no reason to ever make a high budgeted Wii game when you can go straight to the PS360.

Danthrax said:
Dead Space Extraction isn't outsourced. It's being made by the same team that made the original Dead Space.

So you're saying the original Dead Space was made by a "Triple-A Wii team at Eurocom."

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ShockingAlberto said:
Test games are, in essence, totally rigged.
Starting next spring waggle games will become multiplatform, so it doesn't really matter. Wii will get more of these "mature"-titles one way or another.
Plus who knows if DSE will stay exclusive in itself - I'm betting a lot of Gaf would actually be receptive to a rail-shooter in HD with online co-op, leaderboards and so forth too.

KevinCow

Banned
Tiktaalik said:

No way to control the camera? Have you not played video games on the Wii or something?

Top Bottom