• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guide to 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP Platformers

Mirrors Edge and Braid were both amazing.

Need to play more of these. So glad this gen has embraced platformers again, last gen was a complete disappointment.

PS - Great thread!!! Long overdue!

Wow, the only game I dont have on the list is Trine and Ratchet. Awesome thread for an awesome genre. Im still amazed at the execution of Canvas Curse, what an awesome game. Who would have thought a touch screen based platformer would be one of the best things ever?

I'm loving this.

v41p9e.jpg

2hdnmmu.jpg

very very awesome

I don't see Henry Hatsworth as a platformer. More like an action sidescroller / puzzle hybrid.
Kirby Canvas Curse and Yoshi Touch & Go, either.

abstract alien said:
MM9 should be up too.

Agreed.

Holy shit was that game hard...

Also, is Trials HD technically a platformer? I know that's a weird question but it's 2D and you're basically just on a bike using it to gain height/momentum.

Enk

makes good threads.
Also needs to be on the list:

Mega Man 9
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Super Paper Mario
Azteka (more adventure/rpg but has platforming segments in it)

Edit:

Jumpboy (XBLA)
Great Giana Sisters (DS)

andymcc said:
:lol

in all seriousness, Bionic Commando: Rearmed is better than most of that list.
It's getting really hard to take you seriously, between this and your posts in the Castlevania Rebirth thread,

OnPoint

I can't believe how many of those I've owned or played through. And there's even more that I will get to eventually.

Maybe the genre is doing better than I thought?

andymcc

Banned
OnPoint said:
I can't believe how many of those I've owned or played through. And there's even more that I will get to eventually.

Maybe the genre is doing better than I thought?

i guess you could quote your avatar as an upcoming one. : ( it looks frighteningly bad.

Enk said:
Forgot a couple:

Ultimate Ghouls n' Ghosts
Mega Man Powered Up

these are both really fantastic too.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Little Big Planet is a great example of how an absolutely phenomenal game concept coupled with extremely high production values can be made into complete shit because the developers failed to realize the core gameplay sucked balls.

Biggest disappointment this gen for me.

OnPoint

andymcc said:
i guess you could quote your avatar as an upcoming one. : ( it looks frighteningly bad.

these are both really fantastic too.

Both of your quotes are incredibly true. But I'm still going to support Sparkster's rebirth... even if it's destined to be awful.

KevinCow

Banned
Anihawk, I still don't get why you insist on calling The Lost Frontier "Jak & Daxter 2". Everything they've shown looks more along the lines of Jak 2 and 3 than Jak 1.

upandaway

Rock on.

Could I by chance mention a few SMW romhacks? They are what made me survive all this time without normal traditional platformers. I owe them my life.

And a few indie games. Runman, specifically. Fuck this game is awesome and my official thread just dropped like a fly.

fernoca

Since the oothers..are there and I just got it for my 'Go'... :p ..and it's quite nice so far...

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
190280b.jpg

Metacritic: 85 | Gamerankings: 85.63%
Platform: PSP (also available for the PS2)

bridegur

I'd trade a dozen of the blah FPS games released this generation for one HD 3D platformer. The Ratchet games are a lot of fun, but I want something more along the lines of Mario/Banjo-Kazooie/Jak and Daxter.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Missing on 360 that really would make the cut:
A Fading Melody
Arkedo Series - 01 Jump
Artoon
Being
Cloning Clyde
Eets Chowdown
Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp
The Maw
Mega Man 9
N+
Pixel Man
The Simpsons Game

Missing on PS3:
Mega Man 9
PixelJunk Eden
Spelunker HD
The Simpsons Game

Missing on Wii:
Castlevania Rebirth
de Blob
Flip's Twisted World
Mega Man 9
Pole's Big Adventure

Missing on DS:
All three Castlevania games
Starfy 4 and 5
Giana Sisters
N+

Missing on DSiWare:
Mighty Flip Champs
Shantae

yes, yes, wah, wah, some of those "aren't platformers".

deleted

Great thread, this is my favourite genre by far!

Its good to see the revival of console 2D Platformers thanks to PSN/live/Wii(ware) and LBP, even if it goes hand in hand with the death of 3D adventure-platformers that dominated the N64/PS1 era and faded with the last gen.

AniHawk

I knew I missed a lot, especially stuff like N+ and Size Matters. I'll try to update this tomorrow (later today).

I tend to think of stuff like Castlevania and Mega Man X as action games (closer to Metroid). Mega Man 9 has a pretty big emphasis on both shooting and platforming though.

de Blob is more action-adventury. I dunno. Same with The Simpsons Game. I'd feel similarly uncomfortable putting Crackdown up there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wake up early saturday and this thread reminds me that life is beautiful

i just got HENRY HATSWORTH at t.r.u. this past week and i love it. my freakin' mom actually loves it, as a huge fan of BEJEWLED BLITZ on facebook.

thanks for this anihawk.

bridegur said:
I'd trade a dozen of the blah FPS games released this generation for one HD 3D platformer. The Ratchet games are a lot of fun, but I want something more along the lines of Mario/Banjo-Kazooie/Jak and Daxter.

i have high hopes for SLY COOPER to eventually step up to the plate here. my only hope is that they dial back to the game style of the first game, and not its (still excellent but less focused) sequels.

i am 99% sure because of your next comment that you've played it, but MARIO GALAXY fulfills the need for a beautiful modern platformer as well as anything in hd, imo. or, i should say, i've seen games on both ps3 and 360 that look far less impressive and great; MARIO GALAXY thrives on its art style and an outright mastery of that hardware.

kinggroin

Banned
Never figured the Ratch games to be platformers, but more action/adventure shooters ala Contra. I prolly need to play the newer ones I suppose.

Meatboy looks sick btw. Why no youtube link to the trailer in the OP?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb here because it's a hated/not-really-a-gaming-platform platform, but Hook Champ just released on the App Store and it's worth noting, if you ask me. Tight swinging gameplay, emphasis on speed and coins...

Just sayin'.

Excellent job, Ani, although overall it does remind me how much platformers have, not surprisingly at all, fallen. The greats are great, but the majority just don't click with me, mostly in the 3D realm. Something about the floaty, slower, more upward jumping in most of them, I think.

Great thread.

AniHawk said:
And Yet it Moves
http://i34.tinypic.com/qp2u84.jpg
Metacritic: 75 | Gamerankings: 73.14%
Platform: PC | (Coming to Wii in 2010)

The Official NeoGAF Thread

This game is totally awesome and deserves more attention. The gimmick here, beyond the unique cutout visual style, is that you can freely rotate the stage(and correspondingly the gravity) in 90 degree increments. The closest thing I can compare the platforming style to is Metal Storm. Also, it has a very well done online ghost/time ranking system.

The Wii version trailer is a must see even if you already own the game.

Here's a notable free indie game that hasn't gotten much notice on GAF(this post is the third time it has ever been mentioned here):
Psychosomnium by Cactus
2lu53bq.png

Platform:pC (Download here)

It's a short and surreal game with retro graphics. A tip for those who play it and get stuck: it has a real ending, and you'll know when you get there. Keep experimenting until you do.

I think adding a section for free pc games would be useful since that scene is so active these days. I'll try to format a few more recommendations later.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh, hell, does this count?

CAVE STORY
2u6it5s.jpg

Release Date: 2009
Platform: Wii

choose a different picture if you like, i just picked that because it emphasized the graphical changes (maybe worth noting in here that the graphical and sound updates are OPTIONAL)

AniHawk

confused said:
You're missing the crash games on Wii/360 and there was a Spyro game as well.

I'm not a huge fan of metacritic/gamerankings, but I'm using them to cut the list off at the average of 7/10 for reviews (give or take a little).

I gave them a look, but they didn't make the cut.

Top Bottom