• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guide to 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP Platformers

Listing these games by their metacritic rating is a really dumb idea, considering that there is 0 (maybe even negative) correlation between a game's quality and its review scores. I mean, Klonoa has a metascore of 76? Really??? On that note, your list really needs Lost In Shadow and Fluidity, which are must-plays if you're a fan of puzzle-platformers.

AniHawk

nincompoop said:
Listing these games by their metacritic rating is a really dumb idea, considering that there is 0 (maybe even negative) correlation between a game's quality and its review scores. I mean, Klonoa has a metascore of 76? Really??? On that note, your list really needs Lost In Shadow and Fluidity, which are must-plays if you're a fan of puzzle-platformers.

it's only a cut-off point, because i didn't want to include every crash, every sonic, every bad port of a game from one platform to another.

aside from that, it's really only there as a resource, so you can read up on the reviews in case there aren't impressions from a gaf thread you can turn to.

RoninChaos said:
Am I the only one that wasn't really happy with New Super Mario Bros. on the DS? I've played it the least out of all of the 2-D mario games.

a lot of people were disapponted with it, myself included.

WillyFive

NSMB DS was a fine game (great music), but it's just that I expected it start off from when the series left off in Mario World, not go back to SMB1 gameplay. The game felt too simple.

AniHawk

okay, completely updated to where i wanted it a while back. good thing i ran through everything- a couple pc ones didn't make the cut, and one of the ps3 games i had up there actually didn't exist. it also reminded me that ms. splosion man is on the way for a total of eight platformers scheduled for the remainder of 2011. not too shabby.

AniHawk

updated the list, mostly moving already-released games to their respective sections. added sonic generations and sideway to the coming soon side. i think there was a psn game that came out earlier this year or maybe late last year that was 2d and supposedly difficult. might've had a little bit of action in there too. anyone know what i'm talking about? i only saw it once, and i for some reason got it mixed up with over the top's game.

edit: and sly 4. almost forgot sly 4.

overcast

Great thread. Almost done with SMG, probably one of the best games I've ever played.

I loved the 3 R&C on the PS2. Once I get a PS3 I am definitely going to get R&C: Future, excited for that.

AniHawk

gonna have to replace many images. otherwise updated for the year.

the upcoming games list is looking pretty sad now.

AniHawk

Yeah, platformers seem to be on the downslope. :(

well the generation's winding down in general. only one retail game is left. of course, there are about 3-4 3ds platformers, but i think only one would make the cut, and it belongs to the next-gen group of consoles/handhelds anyway.

it's still been a fantastic generation overall. we've been extremely spoiled.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Of course. Three main Marios, two Kirbys, a bunch of indie/download stuff, some great handheld games, the spectacular returns of Donkey Kong Country and Rayman, and the recovery of Sonic... truly an amazing gen.

AniHawk

updated all the images finally. added trine 2 and pid to the lists.

looks like sly 4 is the only upcoming thing. that might just about do it for platformers this gen barring any out-of-nowhere digital releases.

Mista Koo

This thread needs more love, maybe we could add screens for each game like this? (I could help).

Also I think it would be better organized if the actual posts were moved to the beginning through the powers of a mod.
(And while I'm at it why not a new timeless thread title since it's not exactly current-gen anymore :p)

AniHawk

This thread needs more love, maybe we could add screens for each game like this? (I could help).

Also I think it would be better organized if the actual posts were moved to the beginning through the powers of a mod.
(And while I'm at it why not a new timeless thread title since it's not exactly current-gen anymore :p)

the 360/ps3/2005-2013 pc/wii/ds/psp era of platformers is what this thread is about. there are some on the vita, 3ds, and wii u that would consitute a 'next gen' thread, but i haven't gotten around to compiling such a thing yet (it's probably a dozen games at most right now).

i agree it could be organized better. the idea to slot them into their respective consoles didn't come until later. i realize not everyone has everything.

i also forgot to add sound shapes to the ps3.

AniHawk

added sound shapes and sly 4 to the ps3 and n-z section. also added to the upcoming games section probably for the last time.

up next: the guide to platformers: the next generation

AniHawk

in prepping for the new thread, i found some that were missing from this one. added tales from space: about a blob, thomas was alone, jak and daxter collection, giana sisters: twisted dream, guacamelee, lost in shadow, kirby's dream collection, ratchet & clank trilogy, and super mario all-stars 25th anniversary edition.

AniHawk

that should be the last update, or one of the few closest to it. just have to maintain the posts from here on, but there are no more games on the horizon, at least from what i'm aware.

Top Bottom