• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guide to 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP Platformers

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DR2K said:
Outside of Mirror's Edge and Galaxy this generation hasn't really been kind to platformers.

i feel like people who say this want platformers to return to the foreground of popular gaming, much as they were during the 8- and 16-bit era, and it's just unrealistic. that is not to say that certain platformers won't sell ridiculously stupid numbers--most around here have been postulating that NSMB WII is going to sell nastily--but on the whole, platforming exists in a (substantially large and healthy) niche with smaller inventive titles like BOY AND HIS BLOB and LOST WINDS. enthusiasts of the genre have become its developers and moved onto ds and download services.

the good stuff is there. it's just typically not trying to be the huge blockbuster title, and so if you blink or don't pay attention, you may miss it.

jarosh

i don't know for sure if it qualifies... but i'll mention it anyway, because - for THE LOVE OF GOD - i'll do anything to get more people to play this game:

6td6ig.jpg

so insanely overlooked and underappreciated. and so awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
huh, i've never played that. that was way early in the ds life, right?

i just got a dsi and i've got a boner for pretty much anything on the system right now, so maybe i'll try to score a copy.

jarosh

beelzebozo said:
huh, i've never played that. that was way early in the ds life, right?

i just got a dsi and i've got a boner for pretty much anything on the system right now, so maybe i'll try to score a copy.
nope. i think it's about a year old now. it's a metroidvania style platforming brawler with a combo system that is somewhat reminiscent of games like devil may cry. have you heard of the equally overlooked (but fantastic) spyro: the eternal night for gba? it's almost a bit of a spiritual sequel to that game (made by the same people).

here's a good write-up on spyro (also totally worth tracking down btw!):
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2007/10/24/4cr-review-spyro-the-eternal-night-gba/

and here's two decent reviews for spider-man:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/922/922817p1.html
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=17178

edit: some gameplay footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QkPOu7CzLw
(doesn't this game just look like so much fun? doesn't the combat, the web-slinging and the swift, fast movement and the smooth animation look so frickin' satisfying? well, it IS!)

jarosh

oh yeah and - even though i haven't played it (yet) but at least liked its predecessor a lot - i think this one definitely qualifies:

29cl8x3.jpg

it's gotten good reviews too.

and without a doubt:

2ue5s9v.jpg

jarosh said:
i don't know for sure if it qualifies... but i'll mention it anyway, because - for THE LOVE OF GOD - i'll do anything to get more people to play this game:

6td6ig.jpg

so insanely overlooked and underappreciated. and so awesome.

yeah, the DS and PSP (same as PS2 version) are great. Well, it's not like anyone cared about the 3D games either, but they were all fun games.

jarosh

ds one is vastly different from both the psp and console versions though, from what i understand (and from the videos i've seen). not too surprising really - different developers and all. as i said, the ds one is a bit of a spiritual successor to that spyro gba game. i really wouldn't lump them all together. and i highly doubt i would have enjoyed the console version(s) personally. (maaaaaaaaaaybe the ps2 one.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
heh, i got it mixed up with that ultimate spider-man game that came out at launch.

and no, i haven't played spyro, either.

i'll definitely pick up a copy of web of shadows, as several reviews invoke the mighty metroid name, which is essentially like picking my pocket.

andymcc

Banned
still gonna say Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins are better than most of the games on this list.

i'd say dracula x chronicles counts too. it's really good, despite the original being a lot better than the remake.

jarosh

beelzebozo said:
heh, i got it mixed up with that ultimate spider-man game that came out at launch.

and no, i haven't played spyro, either.

i'll definitely pick up a copy of web of shadows, as several reviews invoke the mighty metroid name, which is essentially like picking my pocket.
hehe. knew i was gonna get you with the ole' metroid name-drop.

you'll probably find the game for sub ~$15 too.

check out this awesome trailer for spyro btw and see what you've been missing :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ndKg5Kj5U&fmt=18

AniHawk

CTLance said:
Every time that game is mentioned I'm forced to go to youtube and watch the fanmade trailer-thing. For some reason it really appeals to me. And yet I still haven't bought it. Such an odd situation.

Same here. I think it's the awesome music.

The game actually looks really cool. I need to pick it up soon. Jarosh was right about soul bubbles too, so

AniHawk

All right, made some additions to the OP. Still about ten more to go up under the "out now" section, and about 4 under upcoming.

New additions include PixelJunk Eden, Mega Man 9, N+, and Size Matters.

Dewy's Adventure and Sonic Rivals didn't make the cut.

Here's another freeware pc game that I think deserves to be in this thread:

Spelunky
rbwqvr.png

Platform: PC (download here) | XBLA (upcoming)

The Official NeoGAF thread

Few games exemplify the wealth of creativity in the platformer genre nowadays better than Spelunky. Derek Yu, maker of Aquaria, has made a roguelike platformer which is one of the most inventive 2d experiences I've had in years.

It's coming to XBLA in the future, but there's little reason to wait to pay when you can play it for free now.

Jefklak

I saw a review on http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/ of Toki Tori, the classic puzzle/platform remake which borrows elements from Lost Vikings/Lemmings/Lode Runner. Does this count? It looks amazing in motion and it's a platformer with puzzle elements, much like A boy and his Blob. Has been out for quite some time.

large.jpg

There seem to be a lot of interesting Wiiware games I didn't pay any attention to...

Azure J

Thread bookmarked for sure. I didn't even know a few of these platformers before I saw the OP. This gen has really been good with them though. :D

Jefklak said:
I saw a review on http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/ of Toki Tori, the classic puzzle/platform remake which borrows elements from Lost Vikings/Lemmings/Lode Runner. Does this count? It looks amazing in motion and it's a platformer with puzzle elements, much like A boy and his Blob. Has been out for quite some time.

large.jpg

There seem to be a lot of interesting Wiiware games I didn't pay any attention to...
Toki Tori isn't a platformer, the only platforming elements in Toki Tori involve using the teleport ability with good timing to avoid enemies, which is only required in a handful of levels. It is one of the best action-puzzler games to come out in recent years, however.

AniHawk

I swear I'll get around to adding the rest of those games. For now, A Crack in Time has been moved from Coming Soon into the out now section.

AniHawk

jarosh said:
you have not added any of my picks :/

spider-man, legend of kage 2, jungle climber

Legend of Kage 2 is really more of an action game though. I could understand Web of Shadows, or Dracula X or something (that's another one I forgot), but it really looks like the focus is more on fighting/killing enemies than platforming challenges.

Jungle Climber is one of those weird ones. I kinda place it with Rabbids Go Home, Soul Bubbles, and NiGHTS as a game that looks like it should be a platformer, but isn't. I guess as long as I'm counting Touch & Go I should count Jungle Climber too.

zoukka

I finished A Crack in Time, and cannot force myself to call it a platformer. Any jumping in that game was always too safe and easy. It was more of a Uncharted method of approaching movement than your standard platformers.

jarosh

AniHawk said:
Legend of Kage 2 is really more of an action game though. I could understand Web of Shadows, or Dracula X or something (that's another one I forgot), but it really looks like the focus is more on fighting/killing enemies than platforming challenges.

Jungle Climber is one of those weird ones. I kinda place it with Rabbids Go Home, Soul Bubbles, and NiGHTS as a game that looks like it should be a platformer, but isn't. I guess as long as I'm counting Touch & Go I should count Jungle Climber too.
well, if you have mega man and ratchet and clank in there, there is no reason why legend of kage 2 shouldn't be in. the combat/platforming ratio is about the same in all of them. have you played kage? (wikipedia says: "genre: platform, action" :p)

and web of shadows is even more about jumping, platforming and all the acrobatics associated with it than something like ratchet and clank. i'll give you jungle climber. its mechanics are definitely a bit different. oh well, it's all up to you in the end.

Anybody that would like to recommend me a platformer for the PSP?

Some of the ones i enjoyed this generation:
Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, SMG and Prince of Persia(only played it for about an hour but i love it.)

Old favourites: SMB3, Alex kidd(various games to SMS) and Sonic ofcourse.

I dont really know what i look for or what i like. But i think that i have a problem with games that arent linear, that might be the reason to why i like SMG so much more den SM64. I also dont what want the weapons to be the major focus of the game, but i would love it to be an ingrediance like in BCR and MM, these games are to me about being able to do the sometimes hard platforming while concentrating on doing something else, shooting. Doesnt really know anything about the classic "Playstation" platformers like Jak and Dexter and the likes, but i am interested to play them if you guys think i might like them.

jarosh

alexthekid said:
Anybody that would like to recommend me a platformer for the PSP?

Some of the ones i enjoyed this generation:
Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, SMG and Prince of Persia(only played it for about an hour but i love it.)

Old favourites: SMB3, Alex kidd(various games to SMS) and Sonic ofcourse.

I dont really know what i look for or what i like. But i think that i have a problem with games that arent linear, that might be the reason to why i like SMG so much more den SM64. I also dont what want the weapons to be the major focus of the game, but i would love it to be an ingrediance like in BCR and MM, these games are to me about being able to do the sometimes hard platforming while concentrating on doing something else, shooting. Doesnt really know anything about the classic "Playstation" platformers like Jak and Dexter and the likes, but i am interested to play them if you guys think i might like them.
maverick hunter x and mega man powered up are obvious picks since you enjoyed mm9. also ultimate ghosts & goblins. all excellent games!

both mega man games for the psp are also still missing from the list. again, if mm9 is in, they should both be in too. plus bionic commando rearmed of course.

AniHawk

I really should just take out the Mega Mans and R&Cs and save myself the headache. There are four Mega Mans from this generation missing from the list I was hoping nobody would notice were missing.

Okay, so:

Bionic Commando Rearmed
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent
Castlevania Dracula X
Web of Shadows
Legend of Kage 2

all need to be added.

AniHawk

As far as PSP games go, you can browse the OP for games on the system. Click on the image of the game for a trailer for that game, and you can read up on what some of the reviews had to say about them.

The only one I've played was Prinny. It's really fucking hard, but it's good.

batbeg

Legend of Kage 2 had like... no platforming what-so-ever in the first 4 or 5 levels I played. You can jump, or double jump, yes, and occasionally there are areas you can jump to, but there never seemed to be any need to or penalty for not doing so. But I didn't like the game enough to finish, so maybe it ramps up?

Anihawk, the thread is looking fantastic as usual, but my two nitpicks are that the SATSR thread is incorrectly linked (in a weird way... I can click on it, but it's not hyperlinked?) and that I did have a thread for LocoRoco Midnight Carnival.

AniHawk

Gotta appreciate the return of the 2D platformer to consoles this gen, despite varying quality. Although I think Sonic 4 is more of a marketing ploy like NSMB DS.

Need to remember to update this thing someday.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I declare that this is one of the greatest thread mine eyes hath seen.

Seriously. Good list, Ani.

Empty

Awesome thread. "Jak and Daxter 2" got a smile out of me.

I haven't picked up any of the Ratchet and Clanks on PS3, which one is most recommended?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Add Marble Blast Ultra to the list when you get a chance. XBLA title.

It very much is a platformer, and a damn good one at that.

Penguin

This one gets the platformer stamp of approval.

Especially with platforming Jesus himself has a new game due out in 3 months.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Dacvak said:
Little Big Planet is a great example of how an absolutely phenomenal game concept coupled with extremely high production values can be made into complete shit because the developers failed to realize the core gameplay sucked balls.

Biggest disappointment this gen for me.
What????? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it sucks. I loved the shit out of that game, so much that I even play it after almost 2 years. AMAZING game. My favourite platformer game in the list.

Dacvak said:
Add Marble Blast Ultra to the list when you get a chance. XBLA title.

It very much is a platformer, and a damn good one at that.
There are much better ball rolling games than Marble Blast this gen, like the Kororinpa games and Banana Blitz and Mercury Meltdown.

Sadly when people think platformer these days they only think of games where you run around collecting shit, so ball rolling games tend to get overlooked even though they're probably the best examples of pure 3D platforming out there.

Dacvak

nincompoop said:
There are much better ball rolling games than Marble Blast this gen, like the Kororinpa games and Banana Blitz and Mercury Meltdown.

Sadly when people think platformer these days they only think of games where you run around collecting shit, so ball rolling games tend to get overlooked even though they're probably the best examples of pure 3D platforming out there.
Marble Blast is less ball rolling and more platforming. It heavily relies on acceleration and jumping, with DI and landing taken greatly into account. In this way I think it's more of a platformer than the other "ball rolling" games out there.

That being said, it's also much better. Banana Blitz has got nothing on Marble Blast. Kororinpa is god damn good, though.

SMB2 > All, though.

upandaway

I forgot about this thread. AniHawk brother, you still didn't add Runman. Why do this to me?

Also I guess add Sonic 4 to the upcoming ones?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Why were Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X never added to the list? I guess I can see MHX being disqualified for being a remake (though the second campaign with Vile is a decent addition, it is still the same level layouts as the SNES game and all), but MMPU has a whole campaign of totally new stages and a the level editor you can make/download tons more from, included among them even more official Capcom-made variations on all the robot masters' stages.

AniHawk

Shig said:
Why were Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X never added to the list? I guess I can see MHX being disqualified for being a remake (though the second campaign with Vile is a decent addition, it is still the same level layouts as the SNES game and all), but MMPU has a whole campaign of totally new stages and a the level editor you can make/download tons more from, included among them even more official Capcom-made variations on all the robot masters' stages.

I just never got around to adding them. I have a list on my laptop. With Sonic 4's announcement, I was planning on getting back to this again.

Top Bottom