• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Guide to 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP Platformers

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
InFamous
51LO1--tmOL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

not a pure platformer but the game has the best 3D platforming system ever , and best climbing mechanism in any game ( imho ) .

Bernbaum

Fuck yeah platformers!

Loving the great stuff on XBLA and WiiWare.

Here's my recent faves:

Braid
Wario Ware Shake Dimension
'Splosion Man
Giana Sisters DS
Lost Winds
Nyxquest
Bionic Commando Rearmed

Love NSMB and NSMBWii is a day one for me. Currently playing Legendary Starfy and am somewhat underwhelmed.

Haunted

Yes!

Along with the (smaller scale) lightgun shooter revival one of the best things about this gen.

Just finished Lost Winds and it's been a blast. One of the best platformers of the year for sure.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm kind of shocked at how few good DS platformers there are. I scanned my collection to rebut, but then I was like, "Hm, yeah, I guess that really is all of them."

I don't think some of the Xbox Indie Games mentioned here are quite at a bar that warrants inclusion, but the happy exception is Arkedo's JUMP! Professional level stuff there.
AniHawk said:
I tend to think of stuff like Castlevania and Mega Man X as action games (closer to Metroid).
I don't disagree, but they have about 1000% more focus on platforming than Ratchet & Clank games, and you included those, so...

NTom64

Love platformers so much, can't wait for Galaxy 2 next year.

A suggestion for the upcoming section:
Project Needlemouse.

Haunted

Shig said:
I'm kind of shocked at how few good DS platformers there are. I scanned my collection to rebut, but then I was like, "Hm, yeah, I guess that really is all of them."
I'd definitely include Giana Sisters DS (top tier on the DS as far as old school platforming is concerned), but I don't know if that got released already in english-speaking countries.

DeadGzuz

Banned
LBP is one of my top games this gen, truly next gen and infinite replay. How anyone can dislike it is beyond me, it's like hating chocolate chip cookies or breast.

batbeg

Don't forget about the upcoming LocoRoco Midnight Carnival :D Comes out in 12 days in the states for $15; not sure about other territories yet :(

AniHawk said:
de Blob is more action-adventury. I dunno. Same with The Simpsons Game. I'd feel similarly uncomfortable putting Crackdown up there.

You have Sonic and the Secret Rings and Ratchet games up there. Don't act like there was some standard that had to be met. The Tomb Raider games should be up there too.

Echoes

Hey Ani, what do you say about Mega Man 9?

Great thread and I just found about Super Meat Boy. Looks awesome! Good job bud.

freitax

Totobeni said:
InFamous
51LO1--tmOL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

not a pure platformer but the game has the best 3D platforming system ever , and best climbing mechanism in any game ( imho ) .
inFamous gameplay is soooooo good:O

abstract alien said:

Mirror's Edge 2D

Im sorry, but this has to go on the list. I mean, its literally better than the actual retail version. It needs to come to all three download services immediately.

2dsqvzp.gif
fjjcr9.gif

Funny, I've played this before. This is what I thought the new 2D Sonic games should be like.
Needs more blast processing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
freitax said:
inFamous gameplay is soooooo good:O

I liked inFamous as well, but it's not even the best platforming in an open world sandbox crime fighting game this generation, let alone best anything ever.

DarthButcher said:
14136.jpg

Honestly, this is why I love the Wii so much. It's the resurgence of 2D platforming. :D

Ya!!
I'm playing this right now! I wish they made a strider game along the lines of oboro muramasa!

beelzebozo said:
oh, hell, does this count?

CAVE STORY
2u6it5s.jpg

Release Date: 2009
Platform: Wii

choose a different picture if you like, i just picked that because it emphasized the graphical changes (maybe worth noting in here that the graphical and sound updates are OPTIONAL)

No, it doesn't. Because it still isn't out yet. :'(

Gilby

An Untitled Story is a FREE, metroidvania-esque, indie platformer. If you have not played this, GO DOWNLOAD it now. One of the best indie games out there.

P.S. it's from one of the creators of Runman, but is still his best game (although it's a weird comparison)

ethelred

A little more discussion on the actual games and a little less bickering over what is or is not a platformer might be nice.

Anyway...

As someone who has never managed to find 3D platformers very fun or compelling (outside of a few isolated exceptions, like Mario Galaxy) but who has always loved 2D platforming, I agree that this has been a pretty nice generation. I had some fun times last gen, but it was mainly concentrated in a very small number of games, specifically: Klonoa 2; the two GBA Klonoas; and Drill Dozer. Now, all of those were excellent, but it wasn't really enough diversity to be really satisfying.

I've been much happier this time around. A lot more games, a lot more variety, a lot more quality, a lot more creativity.

I think the biggest surprise for me, though, has been Canvas Curse. Now, I've never been a fan of Kirby. Never liked the character or the games and so I've been completely avoiding the series for years due to disinterest. I'd seen all the praise of Canvas Curse since it came out, but mostly ignored that, too, since I just don't care about or like Kirby. But a few people said it was the Kirby game for people who don't like Kirby, and so a few months ago at one of Gamestop's Buy 2 Games Get 1 Free sales, I snagged a copy on a whim for want of a third game.

I got around to playing it last monthish, and was amazed. Brilliant game, and honestly one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time. Setting aside the wonderful visuals and how pretty and creatively unique they were, the game's level design and central platforming mechanic were just so, so fun. I kind of doubt they'll ever make a game like this again, which is unfortunate, but I'm just glad they made the first one and glad I finally got around to giving it a try, because I never would've expected a new game to pop up on a list for me that includes stuff like Ristar, Klonoa, and Sonic 2.

DarthButcher said:
Honestly, this is why I love the Wii so much. It's the resurgence of 2D platforming. :D

Hardly.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I respectfully submit N+ for DS and PSP, as well as the platformers in the Game Center CX games, particularly Super Demon Returns from GC CX2.

Man, I've been so crazily excited over Super Demon Returns ever since I saw the first video of it. I'm annoyed it's never going to be localized, but I'm sure glad my import copy is on its way so I can play it soon. :eek:

MAtgS

Missing games that I can think of (quality debatable)

Sonic Rivals
Super Smash Bros. Brawls's Adventure Mode
Recent Spyro games
Recent Crash games
Countless movie license games like Kung Fu Panda & Ice Age.
The Behemoth's Game #3
Crush? (not sure it counts)
Obstacle Course mini-game in Wii Fit Plus
Rayman DS
Death Jr.

Stumpokapow said:
I liked inFamous as well, but it's not even the best platforming in an open world sandbox crime fighting game this generation, let alone best anything ever.

Agreed, I like it, but from my short time with it so far Crackdown pretty much owns it in the platforming category.

de Blob is definitely a platformer and also a criminally underrated game. Little Big Planet having that high of a score says a lot about the sheep mentality within the video game review industry.

bridegur

abstract alien said:

Mirror's Edge 2D

Im sorry, but this has to go on the list. I mean, its literally better than the actual retail version. It needs to come to all three download services immediately.

2dsqvzp.gif
fjjcr9.gif

Fantastic game. I had a lot more fun playing it than the actual game.

batbeg

Linkzg said:
You have Sonic and the Secret Rings and Ratchet games up there. Don't act like there was some standard that had to be met. The Tomb Raider games should be up there too.

SATSR and Ratchet are clearly more of a platformer than Crackdown, Simpsons, or the Tomb Raider games, man. I fail to see how they don't meet a platforming standard.

bearcatjosh said:
I haven't heard about that yet. PS3 or PSP?

PSP, downloadable only. Much more of an arcade experience, including leaderboards and a faster style.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
reggieandTFE said:
de Blob is definitely a platformer and also a criminally underrated game. Little Big Planet having that high of a score says a lot about the sheep mentality within the video game review industry.

can't fault other games for failing to live up to CRACKDOWN.

it's like seeing a dude with big muscles and saying, "yeah, but, have you seen hercules?"

I love platformers! Here are the platformers I have for this gen:

DS:
• Super Mario 64 DS
• New Super Mario Bros

Wii:
• Super Mario Galaxy
• de Blob
• Adventure mode in Super Smash Bros Brawl
• LostWinds

Mac:
• And Yet it Moves (demo)
• Archibald's Adventures (demo)
• Cave Story
• SuperTux 0.1.3
• SuperTux 0.3.1
Through MacGamesArcade:
• And Yet it Moves (demo) (yes, I downloaded 2 different demos)
• Braid (demo)

iPod Touch:
• Bob's Dream Lite
• Star Ride Free
• Star Ride Lite
• :Shift Lite:
• iDroids Mania Lite
• Globs Lite
• Blade of Betrayal Free
• Avoid Hitting Piano
• Castle of Magic Free
• Brave Dwarves Lite
• DizzyBeeFree
• Sway Lite
• Toy Bot Diaries Free
• Gomi Lite
• Trace
• Rick Rocketson Free (NEW)
• Edge by Mobigame Lite
• Ignite Lite
• Rolando Lite
• Rolando 2: Quest for the Golden Orchid - Chapter 1
• Mr.AahH!! Lite
• Archibald's Adventures Lite
• Jump on the building
• PapiJump
• PapiJump Land Lite
• HoppleLite

Prothero

Neo Member
Nobody mentioned Prince of Persia for PS3/360/PC? I really liked it.

I'm adding another recommendation for Fez being a platformer to look out for. I'm very much looking forward to this game.

AniHawk

Echoes said:
Hey Ani, what do you say about Mega Man 9?

Yeah, I think it should make the cut. There's more of a focus on the platforming here than the later series.

N+ definitely is going up, and I swear I'll get around to it but I have a magazine to work on soon, so maybe Monday.

Anyway, I've always loved the platformer genre. I was 3 years old when I played my first video game, and it was Super Mario Bros. When my uncle gave me his Atari, Pitfall was one of my favorite games (alongside Adventure and a few others). Although that game is probably only very basically a platformer, like Adventure is only very basically an action-adventure game.

I don't remember the first time I played SMB 3, but I remember it became my favorite game. In fact, it was my favorite game until Ocarina of Time. By the time OoT was released, I had finally had an NES and SMB/SMB3 for a total of 11 months.

I consider the platformer genre to be the sort of embodiment of gaming. I'm not sure how to articulate it, but it's something about solving lots of problems in a row, whether it be defeating enemies, solving a small puzzle, or making an impossible jump that feels so rewarding.

And now it's time for an unnecessary list:

Favorite platformers this gen:
1. Mirror's Edge
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Braid
4. Portal
5. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
6. Kirby Canvas Curse
7. Klonoa
8. Yoshi's Island DS
9. Sonic Rush
10. Yoshi Touch & Go

ethelred said:
A little more discussion on the actual games and a little less bickering over what is or is not a platformer might be nice.

Anyway...

As someone who has never managed to find 3D platformers very fun or compelling (outside of a few isolated exceptions, like Mario Galaxy) but who has always loved 2D platforming, I agree that this has been a pretty nice generation. I had some fun times last gen, but it was mainly concentrated in a very small number of games, specifically: Klonoa 2; the two GBA Klonoas; and Drill Dozer. Now, all of those were excellent, but it wasn't really enough diversity to be really satisfying.

I've been much happier this time around. A lot more games, a lot more variety, a lot more quality, a lot more creativity.

I think the biggest surprise for me, though, has been Canvas Curse. Now, I've never been a fan of Kirby. Never liked the character or the games and so I've been completely avoiding the series for years due to disinterest. I'd seen all the praise of Canvas Curse since it came out, but mostly ignored that, too, since I just don't care about or like Kirby. But a few people said it was the Kirby game for people who don't like Kirby, and so a few months ago at one of Gamestop's Buy 2 Games Get 1 Free sales, I snagged a copy on a whim for want of a third game.

I got around to playing it last monthish, and was amazed. Brilliant game, and honestly one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time. Setting aside the wonderful visuals and how pretty and creatively unique they were, the game's level design and central platforming mechanic were just so, so fun. I kind of doubt they'll ever make a game like this again, which is unfortunate, but I'm just glad they made the first one and glad I finally got around to giving it a try, because I never would've expected a new game to pop up on a list for me that includes stuff like Ristar, Klonoa, and Sonic 2.
That was beautiful in a completely platonic and wholly geeky way.

You better watch out. Your diamond skin seems to be cracking.

AniHawk

MAtgS said:
Missing games that I can think of (quality debatable)

Sonic Rivals
Super Smash Bros. Brawls's Adventure Mode
Recent Spyro games
Recent Crash games
Countless movie license games like Kung Fu Panda & Ice Age.
The Behemoth's Game #3
Crush? (not sure it counts)
Obstacle Course mini-game in Wii Fit Plus
Rayman DS
Death Jr.

Lots of those games don't make the grade. I started to list the DS Wario game, the other Sonic games, and thought that it was kinda diluting the basic idea behind the thread, that we're seeing a resurgence in good, great, and excellent games in the genre when it had been dormant for the better half of this decade.

But this thread is a discussion for those games if you couldn't discuss them anywhere else. I'll lok into Sonic Rivals and Crush, because I simply forgot about them. I looked up Rayman Raving Rabbids DS, which was actually the last 2D Rayman platformer, but it had pretty poor reviews.

Other stuff like the obstacle course in Wii Fit Plus and the adventure mode in SSBB (which I don't consider to be a platformer, really more of a brawler) aren't full games, so they don't make the list either. Although again, you're free to talk about them (the obstacle course was the only reason I went for Wii Fit Plus although the price tag was a big deciding factor too. I want a full WiiWare game like that).

CTLance

I bask in the glory of this thread. Awesome stuff.

But yeah, another recommendation for Giana Sisters DS. Even if its difficulty in the first seven or so worlds is practically nonexistent, the charm of this game easily qualify it for inclusion.

AniHawk

Apparently LostWinds 2 hits the US today. I haven't actually played any videogame for recreation in about a month. I liked the first one. It was pretty easy-going.

Jefklak

Awesome thread, I was wondering what great platformers I've missed out on.
Wii is really going strong with classic 2D platforming and great art (Wario, Blob, Muramasa).

Don't the castlevania games on DS/PSP also count as "platformers"?
I wouldn't call Mirror's Edge platforming so...

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Braid is great, but why does everyone consider it a platformer? It is all about the puzzles, and you can't even die, platforming-wise

Mar

Awesome thread is awesome. Platformers are still my most loved genre, and has always been since I started gaming nearly 30 years ago now.

I hate to be that guy who says 'needs more', but this thread needs more Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins:

ugng.jpg

It is the best platformer of this generation. Yes Anihawk, better than Mirror's Edge. And you know how much I love that game.

Another one I'd have to add is Bubble Bobble Neo on XBLA. Now, hear me out on this one. I've been a massive fan of Bubble Bobble since the very first arcade release. I have played pretty much every version of the game ever made and all their ports to various platforms. And you know what? Neo could be the best version... The graphics are redone and while they look horrible in screenshots, they look incredible in motion. The gameplay has also been ever so slightly tweaked and somehow they've made the classic even better. It's faster, it's harder to link bubbles and make ladders and all of that. But it's just so damn awesome. Combine that with the achievements that make you seek out every damn item in the game, and it's just a Bubble Bobble dream. A platform genre fan's dream. Bubble Bobble as most people know is one of the greatest in the genre.

I'm not sure this thread will actually work though Anihawk. There are a billion and one platform games even in this generation. You'll be taking recommendations from people and linking games for days on end.

AniHawk

Jefklak said:
Awesome thread, I was wondering what great platformers I've missed out on.
Wii is really going strong with classic 2D platforming and great art (Wario, Blob, Muramasa).

Don't the castlevania games on DS/PSP also count as "platformers"?
I wouldn't call Mirror's Edge platforming so...

i55hz9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2NAQ7-DFc

Of course it is.

The setting for the main game just happens to be in a realistic environment. That's part of what makes it so unique.

Mar_ said:
I'm not sure this thread will actually work though Anihawk. There are a billion and one platform games even in this generation. You'll be taking recommendations from people and linking games for days on end.

This isn't as work-intensive as some of the other threads I've done in the last year or so. I'm not going to link every single game recommended.

Prinny and UGNG will be added though. I've played enough of Prinny in particular to know it can be a pretty fucking difficult platformer, especially its DLC.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
been playing HENRY HATSWORTH.

i think expectations will be a big factor going into this for you. if you expect a platformer first and a puzzle game second, then i have to think you'll be somewhat disappointed, as to me at least the platforming seems supplementary to the puzzle-solving and not the other way around. they did a great job of tying together the two portions of the game--whacking dudes with your sword or shooting them with your gun, then eliminating them on the puzzle screen--but by its nature the puzzle portion needs less work to feel "fleshed out." making a platformer that feels refined and special is a different task altogether. the game does have tons of style, though, and if you go in with the attitude that the platforming is a unique way to approach the artifice of playing a puzzle game, i think you'll love it. i definitely do.

also, A BOY AND HIS BLOB.

i often say that i lament the ultimate fate of the RYGAR series, which had such a strong entry on nes and languished for so long before returning on ps2. i contend that typically for those old nes games to grow strong and maintain their identity through the 3d transition, the 16-bit entry is vital toward building on the core concepts of the more raw nes game and establishing what exactly defines the series. look at something like that METROID: nes game was, as noted, raw and unforgiving, but had wonderful ideas; snes game refined and considered one of the best games of all time; thus, when it came time to transition to 3d, it was clear what METROID meant, and PRIME came out great. RYGAR didn't have that luxury.

that's just a long way to come to the point that BOY AND HIS BLOB wii seems like the 16-bit follow-up to the nes game that it never got. it's not exponentially more complex than the original, but it takes that wonderful core idea of having a little blob buddy who is cute, friendly, and most importantly with any friend, useful (i kid), and made it simultaneously more accessible, more complex, and--again, most importantly--more enjoyable.

this all leads me to conclude in the spirit of this thread that we're in a wonderful place as far as the game development climate that a game like BOY AND HIS BLOB wii is made, and can take that step for a series and be absolutely wonderful at the same time, and not have to churn out some awful 3d entry that lets you shoot jellybeans from a jellybean gun and the blob turns into a hammer you can beat people with and wtf at the camera?!

ten years ago, BOY AND HIS BLOB wii would not have been made. look at what happened to the TOE JAM & EARL series. if that xbox game had been held until the 360, and was in fact a highly visually stylized 2d isometric game in the spirit of the first, it would be hailed as a new classic.

it's heartbreaking if you think too much about it, really.

Sipowicz

Banned
so many amazing platformers this gen

avoid loco roco 1 though, it's proper shit. so is new super mario ds except for the 2 player mode which is class

im most looking forward to the new 4 player mario on wii and little big planet on psp as i never played it when i had my PS3. it looks fantastic

jarosh

you NEED to add giana sister ds to the op. seriously. one of the best platformers i've played in YEARS.

also:

5mb6zk.jpg

pretty decent little game. presentation-wise it's a bit low-budget though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i still think CAVE STORY needs to be added to the yet-released list, unless we want to consider it something besides a platformer, or exclude it because you can get it for free on p.c.

Top Bottom