• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Remake coming to XBLA and PC

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://translate.google.com/transla...i-en-approche.htm&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

If the name of Toki nothing to you, then you have not really experienced the heyday of the Amiga where excellent game platforms had such an address in the early 90s. Eh bien sachez que la bonne nouvelle de la journée fait état d'un remake de ce titre comme vous le prouvent les visuels ci-dessous. Well aware that the good news of the day reported a remake of this title as you show the visual below. Développé par le jeune studio français, Golgoth Studio, ledit remake est pour l'heure prévu sur le Xbox Live Arcade et Games for Windows Live . Developed by the young French studio, Golgoth Studio remake that has so far provided on Xbox Live Arcade and Games for Windows Live. Pas plus d'informations à l'heure actuelle même si on commence déjà à se frotter les mains à la vue de la réactualisation graphique témoignant d'un sacré coup de pinceau ! No details at present although it is already beginning to rub their hands at the sight of the updating chart showing quite a stroke!

Level-1-4.png

Level-1-10.png

Level-1-8.png

Level-1.png

Level-1-13.png

Level-1-9.png

Level-1-7.png

Level-1-5.png

Level-1-2.png

Gagaman

Wow, those are actual screens, or are they proof of concept? Either way THAT is how you do a HD remake of a 2D game. Konami take note!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gagaman said:
Wow, those are actual screens, or are they proof of concept? Either way THAT is how you do a HD remake of a 2D game. Konami take note!

I assumed them to be more then proof of concept if Gogoth is already doing comparison, but I can't say for certain.

adamma666

awesome! I loved Toki so much in the arcades back in the days. I hope, they get the music and sondeffects right, the score was really cool. I'm looking forward to it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm trying to recall the arcade version... am I right in thinking they replaced what was a rather horrible stereotypical "wild African tribal guy" character with some sort of "orc" like character? (second set of images in original post)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Night_Trekker said:
I played a Genesis port of this... it wasn't very good.

Someone please tell me the original was better.

Never played the arcade version but I recall having fun with the NES version.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So many Amiga games would be awesome on XBLA

Sink_or_Swim_game.gif

Sink or Swim

TheLostVikings.png

The Lost Vikings - The only Blizzard game I've played

Superfrog.gif

Superfrog

Chuck_Rock_cover_MD.jpg

Chuck Rock

Never thought I would see a remake of Toki, I still love playing the Amiga port from time to time. Not 100% sold on the graphics yet, I'd love to see it in motion. I wonder if they will include an option to play it with the original graphics as well?

confused

Banned
McBacon said:

Sink_or_Swim_game.gif

Sink or Swim

TheLostVikings.png

The Lost Vikings - The only Blizzard game I've played

Superfrog.gif

Superfrog

Chuck_Rock_cover_MD.jpg

Chuck Rock

Add stuff like Alien Breed
Alien_Breed_cover_art.jpg

and also Ocean software's back catalogue
Rainbow_Islands_flyer.png

Pushover_game_cover.jpg

and Bitmap bros games
The_Chaos_Engine_box_art.jpg

Magic_Pockets_level_one.png

and you have an awesome lineup

The original screens have superior color palettes imo, and everything looks more stylistically consistent. It's one of those instances where they look to be focusing so intently on the details that they've overlooked some underlying fundamentals. Just hyper rendering doesn't necessarily make something more visually expressive.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

Night_Trekker said:
I played a Genesis port of this... it wasn't very good.

Someone please tell me the original was better.

i never played the Genesis port, but i had great times when i was a kid playing the arcade :p

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The original screens have superior color palettes imo, and everything looks more stylistically consistent. It's one of those instances where they look to be focusing so intently on the details that they've overlooked some underlying fundamentals. Just hyper rendering doesn't necessarily make something more visually expressive.

No, not just you. :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I loved playing the original arcade and the Amiga port, and - even if I'm usually really picky towards these HD "remakes", especially with disasters like SSFIIX and Monkey Island - I'm liking the art direction so far.
They made the sprites more cartoony, and I like how they turned the blackface-ish boss (see the second shot in the OP) into a more politically correct Toriyama-ish drawn demon.

Dwayne

Wonder if they're going to replicate the last level to be the same as the arcade. The arcade machine would not accept anymore credits, and was so insanely hard. I beat it in MAME with savestates, but I was literally saving every second.
Were the other versions like that? Wonder if there is a arcade speed run video..

AtticusD

Neo Member
This is a clear example when the HD treatment doesn't make a game better. The original looks prettier by far. That's only my opinion, of course.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
That took me by surprise. I didn't realize it was even particularly popular. I'm getting a bit tired of the three-colored cartoon sprites of the characters though. I prefer textured sprites instead, the old games used dithering with great results (I think that's how they do it). Today, they just see the old game and think "oh yeah, Toki is brown, should we use light or dark brown for the remake then", and never bothers to add any actual texture to it.

confused

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
confused
(Today, 01:57 AM)

Why quote this ?? Wanting to point out that I'm a junior ? everyone can already see that

Alien Breed Evolution
55230_AlienBreedEvolution-01_normal.jpg

Looks hot

Rainbow Islands
rainbowislandavatars.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks not so hot

GrotesqueBeauty said:

abstract alien said:
That looks a lot like Wario Land: Shake it visually. I have no objections here.

Agreed on both parts! Shake It was a friggin mess, visually.

I'm pretty certain these are just proof of concepts though, the screens look ridiculously unplayable as is.

Still looking forward to it no matter what though, this was like the arcade game of the forever for me.

N.A

Banned
I loved the Genesis port of Toki, even with the terrible colour pallete.

Looking forward to this!

confused

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
No offense intended, I was just trying to be funny (confused junior member).

MIND FUCKING BLOWN !!! I really never realised as I never bother looking at my own screenname. Ok, it is quite funny.

McBradders said:
No, not just you. :)
Curmudgeons unite. :)

StarEye said:
That took me by surprise. I didn't realize it was even particularly popular. I'm getting a bit tired of the three-colored cartoon sprites of the characters though. I prefer textured sprites instead, the old games used dithering with great results (I think that's how they do it). Today, they just see the old game and think "oh yeah, Toki is brown, should we use light or dark brown for the remake then", and never bothers to add any actual texture to it.
That's why I like Vanillaware's visuals so much. They're the only developer that has really nailed down a style of shading evocative of old school sprites yet completely progressive at the same time. Their backgrounds and characters also blend seamlessly, which for reasons unknown seems to present an insurmountable hurdle for the vast majority of contemporary hand drawn games. Braid did a pretty good job too actually.

xbhaskarx said:
People are really complaining about how this looks?
Stylistically, yeah. It looks to have the technical bells and whistles you'd expect of an HD remake, but good direction is another thing entirely.

Son of Godzilla said:
Agreed on both parts! Shake It was a friggin mess, visually.

I'm pretty certain these are just proof of concepts though, the screens look ridiculously unplayable as is.

Still looking forward to it no matter what though, this was like the arcade game of the forever for me.
You didn't like Shake It from a visual standpoint? I thought it was gorgeous...

Orobi

Even worst than any imagination.... :(
Sad times for HD remakes on this generation....... Many of old classics 2D looks like amatorial flash games, and this Toki reminds me the ugly art/graphic/treatment done to SSF2T by Udon.

batbeg

Blown away by the lack of love for it; I think the screens look gorgeous. Though I'm kind of confused by them having apparently overlaid a HUD onto it to fit within the cropped size... o_O

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
McBacon said:

Agreed, the best one of course being:

cannon.jpg

I would not be able to contain my happiness if this ever happened.

batbeg said:
Blown away by the lack of love for it; I think the screens look gorgeous. Though I'm kind of confused by them having apparently overlaid a HUD onto it to fit within the cropped size... o_O
No kidding, I love it artistically and well as visually.

Top Bottom