• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Remake coming to XBLA and PC

Pharoah

Yup, looks awesome indeed.

The studio behind this was founded by Philippe Dessoly, the guy who was in charge of the original port of the Arcade version on Amiga and Atari ST back in the days, when he was working for Ocean France.

One of the reasons why the ST and Amiga Toki ports were much (MUCH) better than the crappy Sega ports (for instance for the Mega Drive one)... was because this guy kind of hacked the original Arcade cabinet to inject some code, allowing him to be able to pause the game.

Doctus cum libro (This interview is in French only, sorry. Learn French! Pretty girls and cool articles!!).

Yup. He made the port for Ocean France frame by frame, from the original Arcade version. That's commitment, folks!
:lol :lol

And now, years later, I guess nostalgia stroke again :D
I really hope this new version gets the attention it deserves.

It looks great, but I do prefer the blatant pixel look and stronger and more limited color palette of the original. If only they would offer a screen filter to pixelate for that old-school look. As for Toki...hmmm...never loved the arcade and home conversions all that much, but it is a quality title.

HD 2D?! BUT ISN'T THAT IMPOSSIBLE AND THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING EVER?!?!?!?!?

Looks good. Clearly mockups at this stage so probably a ways off.

toki_03.gif

I remember seeing C64 shots of this game, never got to play it though. Maybe I will this time!

Rlan said:
Why can't these guys be making Rocket Knight? :(

Yeah, pretty much :( That traversty is going to sting for a really long time. Fucking Climax.

Amir0x

Banned
In the one pic with the bouncing Monkeys in the background, they should retain the serious expression of the original instead of that goofy tongue thing.

The serious expression makes that shit so funny!

lilltias

Amir0x said:
In the one pic with the bouncing Monkeys in the background, they should retain the serious expression of the original instead of that goofy tongue thing.

The serious expression makes that shit so funny!

Same goes for the small jumping monkeys in the screen above. They look tired-angry in the orignial and goofy in the new one. Original ones are awesome! New ones not so much.

McBacon said:
So many Amiga games would be awesome on XBLA

Chuck_Rock_cover_MD.jpg

Chuck Rock
Chuck Rock was horrible in my opinion, it had the blandest level design ever, the sequel was quite a bit better.

But yeah, the Genesis version of Toki is a mess and the arcade original is much better. Unless there's a superior home version, the Amiga version is the next best thing, though. It also has a couple extra music tracks from what I remember. I don't think the Genesis version was supposed to be a straight port of the arcade version, though, it seemed more like a spin off/sequel.

Pharoah said:
Yup, looks awesome indeed.

The studio behind this was founded by Philippe Dessoly, the guy who was in charge of the original port of the Arcade version on Amiga and Atari ST back in the days, when he was working for Ocean France.

One of the reasons why the ST and Amiga Toki ports were much (MUCH) better than the crappy Sega ports (for instance for the Mega Drive one)... was because this guy kind of hacked the original Arcade cabinet to inject some code, allowing him to be able to pause the game.

Doctus cum libro (This interview is in French only, sorry. Learn French! Pretty girls and cool articles!!).

Yup. He made the port for Ocean France frame by frame, from the original Arcade version. That's commitment, folks!
:lol :lol

And now, years later, I guess nostalgia stroke again :D
I really hope this new version gets the attention it deserves.

What happened to big bang party ?

jdforge

Banned
I'm buying a 360 to play this. Toki was and still is the game that defined my childhood. This is nothing but excellent news :D

confused said:
Add stuff like Alien Breed
Alien_Breed_cover_art.jpg

and also Ocean software's back catalogue
Rainbow_Islands_flyer.png

Pushover_game_cover.jpg

and Bitmap bros games
The_Chaos_Engine_box_art.jpg

Magic_Pockets_level_one.png

and you have an awesome lineup

I'll never understand Amiga enthousiast, most of those games are mediocre or barrely enjoyable. It was hot back then because Amiga games looked better than anything else on the market, and because they were basically free thanks to the crazy pirate scene. But seriously, those game have aged badly and don't deserve a remake. And that's true for Toki as well :lol I really don't like the new cartoon look btw ^^

To be honnest, I can't think of a single Amiga games I'd like to replay or see being remade, outside of the classic Lucas Art point & click.

Vhalyar

Gamekult is reporting that the game is already awaiting approval from Microsoft, which is surprising. Unless there's been some gargantuan effort done recently it can't possibly be this close to release.

If anything, this remake has a pretty messy past that could cause a delay :/

orioto

Good Art™
It's cool enough for me.. I don't know the original game but the new direction seems the good one. No ?? If it should not be cartoony, what should it be ?

Alpha_eX

Wow, I never expected a Toki remake, never! Not so sold on the character design, it's a bit too comic, the Mega Drive game always had this darker more serious feel too it which seems to have been lost.

Will check out a demo, Toki was awesome.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
GrotesqueBeauty said:
That's why I like Vanillaware's visuals so much. They're the only developer that has really nailed down a style of shading evocative of old school sprites yet completely progressive at the same time. Their backgrounds and characters also blend seamlessly, which for reasons unknown seems to present an insurmountable hurdle for the vast majority of contemporary hand drawn games. Braid did a pretty good job too actually.

It's annoying that people are aping (looooooooooool) Udon's downright fucking shitty house style that they used in SSFIIHDR and apply it where it's really not wanted or applicable.

With a little more time applied to the character art this could be very beautiful (the backgrounds are pretty nice) but I doubt that will happen.

eso76

not a fan of the style used for the sprites, but i'm impressed. Game was very popular in the arcades back then, but i always thought it was quite overrated; still i'll probably get it if the game will end up looking like this.

Now, if Konami did a SOTN remake with backgrounds as seen here and good anime sprites i would buy it full price in a blink.

orioto

Good Art™
Blackbird| said:

But pixel art of this type isn't done for HD content, really. It works cause it's tiny... it's all dense and sharp. There is a reason why you can't do the same type of art in HD, or it's with big flat colors...

Now, maybe the style they have is a little too "clean", and saturated for the game.

jarosh

i think it looks gorgeous. granted, it's very much a re-imagination of toki - the style is a lot different. but i like the new look. it's not like toki's style was ever that unqiue or interesting to begin with. it wasn't exactly the pinnacle of pixel art. that said i've always had a soft spot for toki despite the somewhat simplistic gameplay and i'm very much looking forward to this. totally unexpected.

Luigiv

confused said:

ZOMG! Another forgotten game of my childhood to add to the list. Seriously, just when I think I remembered all those games I had on my old Dos PC, something comes along and reminds me of another.

Why did my mum have to throw it out :'(.

Edit: beaten :lol.

orioto

Good Art™
After looking at the screens more, i can tell what bother some of you.

Lines, strokes. They just would have to have more painted and less "comics" feel for the sprites (as the backgrounds are) and it would be perfect. That's what i do for my art in general.

bengraven

While I wish they had done a game I prefer (was never a bit Toki fan), I suppose it's such high quality because of the love the developers and artists have for the game.

Goldenaxe: revenge of Death Adder now, please.

What an odd revival - I remember the game, but only from screens in mags as I never had the chance to play it.

The screens are pretty stunning, but I have my doubts about how well it's going to animate and whether what seem to be "concept" shots will actually translate to the finished product. Will watch, though.

Ok. Holy Shit. Somebody needs to show this to Konami STAT and show them how Rocket Knight has to be done. We should even start a petition to redo the game from scratch with this kind of quality sprites.

Ramune

Very out there, but I like what I'm seeing. Toki has a special place in my gaming heart being the 2nd game I got with my new Sonic 1 packed in Sega Genesis in '92. Anyone else discover that you could skip to the 2nd to last level by watching the computer demos play? I guess I never really "experienced" Toki though since everyone says the arcade and Amiga versions are the ones to play. I'll have to check them out sometime. I DO know the Genesis/Mega Drive version never had the football helmet powerup. But what other differences were there?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Night_Trekker said:
I played a Genesis port of this... it wasn't very good.

Someone please tell me the original was better.
Arcade version was great as it came out at time of the quarter muncher. Some solid game play that one could reasonably finish on one credit with some truly memorable music. Love this game, but I'm a bit hesitant at getting the remake.

Top Bottom