• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Remake coming to XBLA and PC

soultron

Banned
The game looks gorgeous. The only problem I find with most HD remakes is that the game art is often so gorgeous that it is distracting when it comes to identifying background/foreground and things like hitboxes/enemy no-touch boundaries.

Still, looks so good.

JonnyBrad

I prefer the colours of the original version. Everything looks a little washed out on the HD video - but i think it looks awesome!

VALIS

Holy hell! This works for me because not only is the art delicious, it comes off as a re-imaging rather than a touch up job to make it look more modern, like the butt ugly Double Dragon XBLA, for instance.

Eric C

I like it. I'll probably get this for PC.

While it looks great, I think I like the backgrounds more than I like the character sprites.

My only other thing, I think Orioto's paintings have spoiled me, because so far no 2D HD has made me go "OMFG!!! Look at it!" And I really want that to be my reaction.

Deku

Banned
soultron said:
The game looks gorgeous. The only problem I find with most HD remakes is that the game art is often so gorgeous that it is distracting when it comes to identifying background/foreground and things like hitboxes/enemy no-touch boundaries.

Still, looks so good.

art can't be too gorgeous that it's distracting. if its distracting, there's something not quite right, and the problem with most HD remakes of old 2D titles is that by losing the pixel art aspect, the games become soulless montages of high rest hand drawn cutouts being moved on screen.

zweifuss

Very impressed by the screenshots and trailer. I can't believe a 6-man team is doing this, they must work some crazy hours to achieve this at a reasonable budget. And Toki wasn't even such a popular game! Love the music too, glad to see 2D is still alive.

orioto

Good Art™
Ericsc said:
My only other thing, I think Orioto's paintings have spoiled me, because so far no 2D HD has made me go "OMFG!!! Look at it!" And I really want that to be my reaction.

Sorry for that :p

Gwanatu T

FrostuTheNinja said:
Black Thorne please...

Toki looks fabulous. It seems as if 2D is alive and well.

Now I just need MORE!

This really has been the year of either 2D in general or the revival of 2D gaming. It's really been quite a treat for me.

VariantX

i havent seen this game since i saw it on nick arcade waayy back in the day. Actually really want to play it after seeing how it looks.

Gwanatu T

VariantX said:
i havent seen this game since i saw it on nick arcade waayy back in the day. Actually really want to play it after seeing how it looks.

THAT'S WHERE I RECOGNIZE IT FROM! :lol

nincompoop said:
Coming to Wiiware? Wonder how much they had to sacrifice to get it to fit in under 40MB.
Well, seeing as the original Toki isn't that long and doesn't really have a ton of music or different enemies, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the Wiiware version. The Wii's low resolution should also help keep the file size down.

Enk

makes good threads.
I saw this thread bumped and the first thing I thought was that it was going to be news that this was cancelled. Really glad to see that it hasn't been since I'm actually looking forward to this. Can't wait to see what they do with Joe and Mac.

Enk

makes good threads.
N4Us said:
Holy crap, it's already been a year since announcement?

And another year has passed since the last post. Where is this game? This was supposed to come out on Steam in September but that long since passed. The last update on it was back in July:

hey ! but where is Toki ? we’ve annouced recently that we get back the XBLA and PC publishing rights from Ignition Entertainment so what the next ? next is, we plan to release Toki firstly on Steam in September and later in the year or Early January on all others platforms. [End of year is complicated with 1st party] so conclusion Toki is not dead and always plan to release this year ! by the way we reworked many things on the games to better match with the old version :) wait and see !

Update from Golgoth Studio on Facebook, it seems they're still working on it at least:

hi Golgoth Fans, i can see how fans are eager to have new information regarding Toki. So to make short, we are still working on the Art side, yeah i know its really long :) but Gambate ! A Toki website will open early in February . Now as the game is really close to the end we started to be in contact with publisher but everybody is on Holliday now due Christmas so i will have a beginning of answer in January but keep in mind that we are still working on the game and Toki is not discontinued not even in dream :) . From January we will improve our update on this page , even if i well understand you all want the game, and i'd like to say you deserve it ! also thank all to continue to follow us i can see the golgoth community grow and its cool , ok i go back to work :)

Like · · Share · December 21, 2011 at 10:59am ·

the tomba! PSN release thread reminded me this existed. (mostly because i confused tomba with toki)

looks like it's still on, end of summer. from their facebook:
second Update , regarding the really awaiting Toki remixed ! even if we don't want to specify any date for the moment, its really, for not say really possible , that Toki will be available at the end of the summer , and yes of this year ! :) Around August to be a little more exact !

Enk

makes good threads.
There's 4 years of me on a single page here. I was just a strapping young man when I heard about the Toki remake. Now look at me! A bitter, old cod who wants his monkey game! Here's hoping it'll actually be released this year. If not, look for my fifth year reply a couple of posts down.

Agent X

Wow, it's been so long since I've heard any news that I almost forgot this game was even in development!

Would love this on Vita...

Yes, I'd like to see them work on a Vita version, too. I enjoyed the Lynx version of Toki, so it would be nice to have the updated version on a portable system.

Vert boil

Enk

makes good threads.
There's 4 years of me on a single page here. I was just a strapping young man when I heard about the Toki remake. Now look at me! A bitter, old cod who wants his monkey game! Here's hoping it'll actually be released this year. If not, look for my fifth year reply a couple of posts down.

Hi me from 1 year ago! Crazy that there's a half decade of Enks on this one page. I feel like this should be some sort of Doctor Who episode where I am communicating with my past selves via message board posts.

Year younger Enk, I know you were bitter old me about this game not releasing last year but in that year's time you've learned to give up and move on to other games, accepting that the Toki remake may never come out. Just relax and play some other great games!

Love with hugs and kisses, your year older self.

gogojira

Hi me from 1 year ago! Crazy that there's a half decade of Enks on this one page. I feel like this should be some sort of Doctor Who episode where I am communicating with my past selves via message board posts.

Year younger Enk, I know you were bitter old me about this game not releasing last year but in that year's time you've learned to give up and move on to other games, accepting that the Toki remake may never come out. Just relax and play some other great games!

Love with hugs and kisses, your year older self.

Enk from next year will confess he never truly got over this game.

Benedict

They are still in the process, they've released Magical Drop V in the interim.

Still on greenlight - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93343853

And from May 24th this year,

[tweet]http://twitter.com/golgothstudio/status/337914305733337090[/tweet]

From the same day on twitter:

@JimmyAstronaut Yes PS3 during this summer, and a Special PS4 Version when time will come for the PS4 To release.

On a question if it will be released on Xbox:

@lifelower we've made a choice, work with people who believe in us now before the release of Toki, not after, Sony was Amazing on this side!

Top Bottom