• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Remake coming to XBLA and PC

RockmanWhore said:
I'll never understand Amiga enthousiast, most of those games are mediocre or barrely enjoyable. It was hot back then because Amiga games looked better than anything else on the market, and because they were basically free thanks to the crazy pirate scene. But seriously, those game have aged badly and don't deserve a remake. And that's true for Toki as well :lol I really don't like the new cartoon look btw ^^

To be honnest, I can't think of a single Amiga games I'd like to replay or see being remade, outside of the classic Lucas Art point & click.

How Dare You. I can pick up and play any amiga game today and still enjoy it.

LakeEarth

I loved that game as a kid, actually spend 5 WHOLE BUCKS (my whole weekly allowance) to beat it back in the day. The only arcade game I beat before that was Double Dragon, and that's because my quarter got stuck and the game kept registering I was putting in a quarter until it hit 99 credits.

Chakan

Too bad its not releasing on PSN. I'd buy it on day 1.

Loved the art and it was a fun and hard game on the amiga. There was a genesis version too, I know because I also played it.

Spitting monkey ftw.

Wow talk about out of left field.

Such an obscure game to remake.

But damn.... now THIS is how you do an HD remake.

Konami please scrap Rocket Knight HD and hire these guys to give it a proper treatment.

What's the story with this developer?

Pharoah

I gave some insight into this dev on the previous page :D

These guys are responsible for the original port of Toki, from Arcade version to some 16 bits (mostly Atari ST and Amiga) back in the days...

I guess it explains quite some things!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Backgrounds are gorgeous and the sprites definitely look to have a lot of care put into them, but the two elements don't really mesh very well stylistically. I'm sure it'll look less egregious in motion, though.

Galamauth

Rlan said:
Why can't these guys be making Rocket Knight? :(

Is it just nostalgia or does a lot of the charm leave these games when taken out of pixels? I'm sure there have been many arguments about this but Toki was one of the first games I remember looking up at in the arcades along with Strider and X-Men.

The shiny HD coats look kinda gross to me but it's fucking Toki, will buy.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, this is the LAST game I've ever expected to get a remake... never played the original, but remember reading about the Genny version. Looks cool tho!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The original screens have superior color palettes imo, and everything looks more stylistically consistent. It's one of those instances where they look to be focusing so intently on the details that they've overlooked some underlying fundamentals. Just hyper rendering doesn't necessarily make something more visually expressive.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.
Either you have no taste, you're colorblind, or you're just a contrarian.

Rad-

Game looks so familiar that my Amiga owning friend must've owned this. It's so long ago that I'm not entirely sure tho. The only game I remember playing with him was some top down shooter where enemies appeared from the walls and there were different characters to choose from. That game was fucking awesome.

N4Us

Sweet, I actually managed to finally beat the NES version of this game a couple years back. The final boss was a pain in the ass.

intheinbetween said:
wow, i can't believe it, i never expected it to make a come back :lol

I always imagined this being remade hd, but never gave it a second thought as I never imagined it being followed through. Not trying to sound arrogant or anything tho.

Ok, there's a few spots where the animation and the collisions aren't quite working together well yet, but the game's still in development, big surprise. That does look very good, putting plenty of HD remakes this gen to shame.

Excellent and surprising news. Loved the arcade game, found in one of the last local arcades around in the early/mid '90s. It also had an excellent Lynx port (as were many arcade ports to that system).

Enk

makes good threads.
Wow, what the fuck? Toki? I remember playing the original back in the day and thought it was just ok. This remake looks really good. The backgrounds and animations remind of the work that WayForward did on A Boy and His Blob. Very much looking forward to this.

Now somebody remake Blaster Master and Joe and Mac please?!

Stalfos

orioto said:
After looking at the screens more, i can tell what bother some of you.

Lines, strokes. They just would have to have more painted and less "comics" feel for the sprites (as the backgrounds are) and it would be perfect. That's what i do for my art in general.
Yeah there just seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the sprites and the backgrounds since they are so stylistically different.

Wow, looks amazing. Fuck all the "2D HD is too expensive its impossible for devs to do" crowd. Several games from smaller indie pubs are proving that assumption wrong time and time again.

I think the new version actually looks better than the old. It oozes character more than the previous game's graphics did. Just...wish this team were doing Rocket Knight instead of Toki of all obscure games to bring back :lol

bengraven said:
While I wish they had done a game I prefer (was never a bit Toki fan), I suppose it's such high quality because of the love the developers and artists have for the game.

Goldenaxe: revenge of Death Adder now, please.

I'm sure SEGA have forgotten this game even exists, they never seem to even acknowledge its existence.

jet1911 said:

Yeah, that's nothing short of incredible. Best HD remake we've seen so far by quite some distance.

Ok, I have never played Toki, but the new sprite-art looks absolutely gorgeous in motion. I think that I will not buy the game, but this thread has created a whole new craving in me... I want HD-remakes of Commander Keen and Jill of the Jungle with similar attention to detail, please!

Looks amazing to me and I'm really nostalgic of Toki, remember my dad randomly got it off mail order one day as a surprise and I played up to the first boss before school.

I'm sorry, but this looks outstanding visually from the video. Game play looks to retain the "classic" feel, which could be an issue for some, but this is gold if its your thing from that aspect.

Kibbles

Holy shit this is awesome. Now that's an HD remake. I remember having played this game before. :lol Very strange.

Gagaman

Wow, animates really well, they've actually given the game a lot of extra character in the process, which is more than can be said for something like Street Fighter II HD Remix, which added nothing to the visuals in the slightest. This is more like Wario Land Sahek Dimension in that respect: except that was animated by Studio I.G while games like this and Critter Crunch are by much smaller teams of animators. The big companies have no excuse now: of you're gonna bring back an old 2D classic do it like this!

I know Toki mainly from the Mega Drive version, which for some reason messed up the level designs that were changed to long boring layouts, and the graphics were less colorful. I still liked it though.

andymcc

Banned
Gagaman said:
Wow, animates really well, they've actually given the game a lot of extra character in the process, which is more than can be said for something like Street Fighter II HD Remix, which added nothing to the visuals in the slightest. This is more like Wario Land Sahek Dimension in that respect: except that was animated by Studio I.G while games like this and Critter Crunch are by much smaller teams of animators. The big companies have no excuse now: of you're gonna bring back an old 2D classic do it like this!

what you're saying is: if you're going to revive a 2D classic, don't give it to backbone.

Gagaman

andymcc said:
what you're saying is: if you're going to revive a 2D classic, don't give it to backbone.
Well, at least don't pussy-foot around getting some good animators in to make some great 2D graphics rather than half arsing it with ugly 3D graphics that lose all the charm (Rocket Knight) or give the 2D art to comic book artists who have clearly never animated anything before. The more 2D games like this the better! Especially since I would be up for a job doing exactly this kind of thing. :D

We're definatly seeing something of a 2D revival at last, mainly from smaller devs who seem to know more what they're doing. I also hope Nintendo has a crack at 2D games with animation like Wario Land had again too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I still find it funny that developers act as if they have to "find their way back" to making 2D games with such personality. You think it'd be the kind of thing that would have plesantly alongside the prerendered attempts, like the Oddworld series.

Truthfully, I've been expecting something like this since Castle Crashers. Glad to see someone doing it!

The graphics we're seeing in this WIP trailer, look spot on to me. In traditional 2D film/TV animation, background have always had a bit of a different quality to them, compared to the characters. Detail is pumped into the static elements, since they don't have need to be animated, while the moving elements generally drop detail in linework, lighting, or shadows, to be easier to animate well.

I have to say, they're doing a great job to bring this look into HD, while maintaining such readabiity.

(And man, does that Torque Game Builder logo look a heck of a lot like a Powerpuff girl...)

That youtube footage indeed looked quite cool. Still, stylistically it looks like a huge departure from the original, I'd make everything a bit less bright to keep at least a bit of the original atmosphere intact. Also, Toki's facial expressions sometimes look a bit too "badass" for my liking. I really liked his cute and slightly phlegmatic design in in the original where his expression hardly ever changed (he made an angry face for certain powered-up spit attacks if I recall correctly).

Noogy

Oh wow, Toki?! This is the LAST game I'd ever thought get remade. It's just so bizarre and from a crazy era of arcade games that I'm surprised to see it come back. I can't wait!

Gagaman said:
Dude, the animation is nowhere near as intricate as Wario Land's. That said, this still holds up really well in motion.

Gagaman

nincompoop said:
Dude, the animation is nowhere near as intricate as Wario Land's. That said, this still holds up really well in motion.
No, but it's not far off considering that was a brand new game and this is a remake hence it needs some restrictions so the gameplay matches up with the original (a rule that maybe Capcom stuck to a bit too much with HD Remix, but the gameplay probably would have broken with too many added frames of animation).

Top Bottom