• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Makers of Grim Dawn, spiritual sequel to Titan Quest, now taking pre-orders/donations

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finally found some news that somebody hadn't beaten me to on GAF, so I can start my own thread! :lol
At least, a google search for "Grim Dawn" didn't turn up anything.

Looks like a bunch of former Iron Lore employees have started up a company called Crate Entertainment and are making a spiritual successor to Titan Quest called Grim Dawn.

http://www.grimdawn.com/about.php

I was a HUGE fan of Titan Quest. Glad to see these guys still working. Tempted to go all in on the Legendary fan edition, but I'll probably wait until they have a little more of something to show; screencaps at least. Sad to see that they are changing the class system (though the way they describe it may not be all THAT different than before), but glad they are still going to have re-spec built in.

Now that's a sweet find!

I'm a whore for loot whoring games as it is, loved TQ, and was really bummed out when they got the axe.

I wonder if this was the project that led to them closing their doors? Their website had mentioned them being unable to find funding for a project at the time of their demise.

Loot whore games are like crack. It gets in your system and it's hell to get it out. Must be the same for some developers since they keep coming back to them.

I for one will be keeping my eyes on this!

Draft

They got some balls to ask for pre-orders without so much as a screenshot.

I realize Unknown Worlds did basically the same thing, but then, Natural Selection the mod butt rapes Titan Quest the game.

KareBear

Draft said:

I realize Unknown Worlds did basically the same thing, but then, Natural Selection the mod butt rapes Titan Quest the game.

Coincidently the lead programmer of the Titan Quest engine works for Unknown Worlds.Also the Natural Selection mod was first play tested at Iron Lore studios.

Huggy

Bought Titan's Quest during the Steam sale, but the game got stale for me.
Hold-clicking enemies until they are dead, stock up on loot until you couldn't have any more and teleporting to sell them for cash you're not going to use wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm still playing it because I believe I get a pet assigned later, might boost things up.

bdouble

Awsome. Who needs anything else. Torchlight, D3 and this?

^^. How much have you played? Game is heavy spell based and doesn't pick up really till the end of the first play through.

bengraven

I'm excited that other former Blizzard-ites are making a $20 lewt whore game, ala Torchlight. And this one with multiplayer.

Still not excited enough to pre-pay or donate, considering Torchlight had a better pedigree behind it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
bdouble said:
Awsome. Who needs anything else. Torchlight, D3 and this?

^^. How much have you played? Game is heavy spell based and doesn't pick up really till the end of the first play through.

This is the mark of a bad game.

Still, TQ had some bright spots, but I'm not going to hand out money to a developer beforehand. Do they take us for morons? How many games have got canceled just this year already? How many start-up companies fail to deliver even one game before burning up?

Why on Earth would I give somebody money on a Photoshopped picture and a worthless promise? Get the hell out of here.

Killzig

FOR. (Seriously, in on the legendary package or whatever the highest tier is called. Sounds like a neat universe and I really loved TQ. No brainer for me.)

LTTP Monroeski as I just discovered this was in the works earlier this evening! Was about to make my usual OP mirroring Din's Curse and everything. :lol

That said, while I can see this being a bit of a stretch to many, I'll not discount this entirely just yet/will likely do some kinda pre-order(money is tight/limited/dwindling so hard to say) upon seeing some screenies and other such more substantive bits. Feature wise and such, it surely seems to be hitting good and different areas than Din's Curse---which is good as variety is king in games like this.

Upon some forum diving though, I'd caution lightly about jumping Crate too viciously on the "donation without presentation" situation---they had initially planned more of a proper launch/unveiling with a quiet soft launch in the lead up, but due to a better than expected fan response/word spreadin', the cat effectively has began to escape the bag ahead of their art stuff in the pipeline currently. They are not even done tweaking the donation apparatus yet owing to getting jumped sooner than they thought by people jumping for the Legendaries, people wanting to just donate outright amounts less than $20/in addition to any of the established donation levels, and so on. :lol

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Draft said:

NS2 pre-orders didn't start until they released that video teaser, and after over a year of news updates about the game. This is pretty ballsy in comparison.

bdouble

WanderingWind said:
This is the mark of a bad game.

Still, TQ had some bright spots, but I'm not going to hand out money to a developer beforehand. Do they take us for morons? How many games have got canceled just this year already? How many start-up companies fail to deliver even one game before burning up?

Why on Earth would I give somebody money on a Photoshopped picture and a worthless promise? Get the hell out of here.
k. Not sure why ya quoted me. I'm not supporting their pre order setup well not right now at least.. I'm just excited that they are moving on. I guess I'd compare it to Torchlight. I pre ordered that as soon as it was put up just based on Mythos.

I won't do that for this right now but sounds like they aren't being that crazy with this gam and sounds like they have a solid plan. Its 20 bucks and if a few 100 pre orders help them release it thats awesome for them.

I doubt the team is even that big. Hell they said themselves they are using the same tool set and engine. Sounds like they have a pretty solid base already to me. I sure as hell am not going to say "oh this is a mark of a bad game". Its just like any other preorder. Except instead of putting money into Gamestops accounts its actually affecting the development of the game which to me is quite cool.

theultimo

Anything Titan Quest related gets my vote. Pre-ordered.

One of the main reasons for doing this I can see is that they are trying to keep their IP rights for their software, away from the publisher.

RavenFox

Banned
graphics_slaying.gif

Is that a gun and a blade in that warrior vixens hands?
I like my Ale Frostwind cold and my meat still on the bones. Where do I sign up?

tomedo said:
I will probably pre-order when / if this hits Steam but seems insane to drop money this early.
hehe. you don't have to, dude. relax. they're probably going to have screenshots or even videos out before you're forced to submit your dollars.

Salaadin

I just bought TQ on Steam and hope I enjoy it even half as much as some of you guys. Grim Dawn looks promising. Ill keep my eye on it.

ToxicAdam

Salaadin said:
I just bought TQ on Steam and hope I enjoy it even half as much as some of you guys. Grim Dawn looks promising. Ill keep my eye on it.

Just give it time. It takes about halfway through the first playthrough for it to really shine.

Those images look eh, but I like the developers and the premise.

I'm not preordering, but I'll probably buy it if it's any good.

bdouble

Andrew2 said:
Titan Quest in reality was a good concept, but overall a crappy game. In the end its a shame THQ raped IL.
Explain this? How was it "crappy"? Dungeon Heroes is crappy. TQ did a lot of things amazingly well and the class system is superb. Lot more than great potential to me.

And yeah I guess those images are janky but a word I'd use is early. Very very early.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hope there's a gamma slider in the game. You can't see shit in half of those screenshots.

bdouble said:
Explain this? How was it "crappy"? Dungeon Heroes is crappy. TQ did a lot of things amazingly well and the class system is superb. Lot more than great potential to me.

It was easily the best Diablo clone this side of Diablo 2. I say was because Torchlight came along.

Rctdaemon

JaseC said:
Hope there's a gamma slider in the game. You can't see shit in half of those screenshots.

Maybe they read all of the complaints about Diablo 3 not being "dark enough". Given some time, I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

I'm bumping this thread because I just found out about Grim Dawn. Titan Quest is still the best Diablo-clone ever (the unbelievably deep class/skill system is the defining feature) and I'm thrilled to find that they are making a spiritual successor.

The developers have confirmed that they will be carrying on with a Titan Quest style dual-class system in Grim Dawn, so, rejoice!

I'm going to pre-order and buy a spot in the beta testing.

Teknoman

As long as the weapons have more of an impact on the enemies, the soundtrack is great, and things seem like they have an actual weight to them, i'll check it out.

I got the impression that the team behind TQ were done with PC games. Anywho, I liked TQ despite having never finished it, so $20 on Impulse (Reactor?) would be best for me but I'm sold. Plus I'm also happy to see a developer turn up their nose to DRM. :)

Chris R

Did the game/company have any showing at E3 this year? Or will it be a next year at E3 kinda deal? I still haven't pre-ordered, but I might eventually.

Looking forward to this.
Anyone on the fence about TQ, if your a fan of point 'n' click games, do yourself a favour and get this game and its expansion you wont regret it.

This game looks like it is coming along nicely. I've tried to forget about it for now, until it is closer to release, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

The developers have confirmed to me in the forums that they are going to be implementing a dual-class skill system similar to Titan Quest. If you've played Titan Quest, then you know that it was arguably the greatest class/skill system ever in a game of this type.

So I'm certainly excited for this.

Top Bottom