• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reading-Age: Ted Chiang's latest sci-fi novella now available online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
(Click on the cover)

So, I thought about posting about this on the "What are you reading" thread, but I guess Chiang is known enough by now for this to deserve its own topic, and people who don't usually visit that thread might want to check it out as well.

Here's a quote from Amazon (light spoilers, I guess):
Ana Alvarado is a former zookeeper turned software tester. When Blue Gamma offers her a job as animal trainer for their digients--digital entities, spawned by genetic algorithms to provide pets for players in the future virtual reality of Data Earth--she discovers an unexpected affinity for her charges. So does Derek Brooks, an animator who designs digient body parts. The market for digients develops and expands, cools and declines after the pattern of the software industry. Meanwhile Ana, Derek, and their friends become increasingly attached to their cute and talkative charges, who are neither pets nor children but something wholly new. But as Blue Gamma goes bust and Data Earth itself fades into obsolescence, Ana and the remaining digient keepers face a series of increasingly unpleasant dilemmas, their worries sharpened by their charges' growing awareness of the world beyond their pocket universe, and the steady unwinding of their own lives and relationships into middle-aged regrets for lost opportunities. Keeping to the constraints of a novella while working on a scale of years is a harsh challenge. Chiang's prose is sparse and austere throughout, relying on hints and nudges to provide context. At times, the narrative teeters on the edge of arid didacticism; there are enough ideas to fill a lesser author's trilogy, but much of the background is present only by implication, forcing the reader to work to fill in the blanks. (Indeed, this story may be impenetrable to readers who aren't at least passingly familiar with computers, the Internet, and virtual worlds such as Second Life.) Fortunately, sheer conceptual density keeps the story solidly real. The life cycle of the software objects in question is viewed through the prism of the human protagonists' own life cycle, and this skeleton is the armature on which hangs that very rare thing: a science fictional novel of ideas that delivers a real human impact.
I just read it and want to share my impressions, so I'll spoiler them since they obviously discuss the ending:

Having never read a single Ted Chiang story (his compilation Story of Your Life: And Others has been on my to-get list for a long time, and I think it's about time I order it), I was kind of disappointed by this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story immensely, but I can't help but think it was a prologue to something much greater. His writing is pretty good if not a bit simple (not that it detracts from the quality of his writing, on the contrary he dealt with pretty technical topics adequately using non-technical terms most of the time) making the story really easy to get into.

However, I felt like I got lots of exposition, a minor conflict that could have gone much farther, a couple of subplots that went nowhere (romantic interest between the two human characters and the "alien" AIs) and a really uninspired open ending. I really think this could have benefited of being twice as long as it was, specially since the questions it raises and the universe it develops go in the right way, but feel really wasted in the context of the short scope of the novella. The human characters also feel a little uninspired at times. I still want to read his other stories, specially since I've read reviews echoing my impressions and mention his other stories don't suffer from similar issues, but I have to say this was pretty bittersweet overall. Unless the author plans to write some sort of continuation, that is. I feel, as I said before that this could be a pretty good beginning to a bigger work.

Edit: Oh shit, gaming side? I don't even visit this place! Ah well, can't wait to see what replies you guys come up with. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom