• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean announced

Pooya

Up: First Trailer
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/02/01/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-debut-trailer/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ahoy
The next mega-licence to be given the LEGO treatment will be Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney has announced.

It'll be released on DS, PC, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360 to coincide with the new POTC film - On Stranger Tides - in May 2011.

LEGO Pirates will straddle the story of all three existing Pirates films: Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest and Johnny Depp Goes Sailing Part 3.

There's two-player co-op as well as Freeplay mode, which lets you travel back to already completed levels.

Talking of levels - there'll be over 20. And you can take on the role of more than 70 different characters.

TT Games - maker of LEGO Star Wars, Potter, Indiana Jones, Batman, etc. - will develop.
yet another Lego game, I would rather have that RPG game they canceled.

Roxas

I have a friend who works for TT, and believe me, they are as bored making these games as we are seeing them. (Though i do admit Lego Harry Potter was good fun)

FoneBone

miladesn said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ahoy

yet another Lego game, I would rather have that RPG game they canceled.
Weird to see Disney and WBIE collaborating. Never thought that'd happen.

(DC/Marvel game, anyone? Not a chance, but I can dream.)

I do think sooner or later they're going to milk this dry, though. (Although LEGO Rock Band already flopped, and LEGO Batman, I think, sold below expectations.) But three games for 2011 in the same style (Star Wars III, POTC, Harry Potter 5-7) is a little much. :lol

Sadist

FoneBone said:

(DC/Marvel game, anyone? Not a chance, but I can dream.)

I do think sooner or later they're going to milk this dry, though. (Although LEGO Rock Band already flopped, and LEGO Batman, I think, sold below expectations.) But three games for 2011 in the same style (Star Wars III, POTC, Harry Potter 5-7) is a little much. :lol
You're thinking of Lego Indiana Jones 2.

Batman did pretty well actually.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think this is a great idea. The silliness of the LEGO games would be a great match with the PotC movies.

Of all the ones to go with when finally working with Disney, they choose Pirates over Toy Story...

Way to not take back a Toy Story game opportunity TT Games...

Well, maybe that'll be after this.

Edit: Hmm, so it's to come out with the film, now I see, but STILL.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Roxas said:
I have a friend who works for TT, and believe me, they are as bored making these games as we are seeing them. (Though i do admit Lego Harry Potter was good fun)
I'm sure he'd be much more bored with the alternative.

McBacon said:
Am I the only one who thinks these are generally pretty bad video games?

They are bad IMO. The humour I don't get. I've tried the majority and I'm not feeling the gameplay. Though strangely I want this game. I love PotC.

McBacon said:
No but to be fair I haven't played a Lego game since the original SW trilogy one.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Disney cancels Propaganda's cool looking Pirates game and replaces it with this. Fail.
Yeah what the hell.

clockpunk

I suppose this is as close to guaranteed profit as is possible within the industry, whereas the much more promising less-family focused PotC game wasn't.

Sad. And typical of the dumbing down we face within the gaming indistry/our hobby.

Sadist

McBacon said:
It's more of a "play one and you've played them all" kind of thing. Every "new" game never fixes the problems of it's predecessor. Personally I enjoyed Lego Batman, but there are flaws to be discovered. Bad? Nah.

Sqorgar

Banned
McBacon said:
Ask again when you have children. Trust me, when it's between playing co-op LEGO Star Wars III and helping them through Dora the Explorer Does Boring Shit For Six Hours, you'll get down on your knees and thank the video game gods that these games exist. You'll also come to agree that the splitscreen solution they added in LEGO Indy 2 saves lives.

I see the LEGO games like Dynasty Warriors. They are comfort food. You aren't going to get vastly different games, but the different settings lead to enough variety to keep it from getting too stale. In general, the games have improved with each new iteration.

(I'm sad that LEGO Indy 2 didn't sell better. The hub worlds & puzzle dungeons were awesome. I think people didn't buy it because of Crystal Skull. It's the best LEGO game, IMO).

Carlisle

It'll be released on DS, PC, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360 to coincide with the new POTC film - On Stranger Tides - in May 2011.

3DS will have been out in the states for a couple months... Wouldn't it be easier to just port the PSP version?

Sadist said:
It's more of a "play one and you've played them all" kind of thing. Every "new" game never fixes the problems of it's predecessor. Personally I enjoyed Lego Batman, but there are flaws to be discovered. Bad? Nah.

That's the problem with this series. Traveller's Tales has found a template they can milk and milk it they have. And their clearly unable to make a good game. Look at the Transformers movie game. One of the worst license games ever.

Randy

Not the pirate-game I was expecting and won't settle for it. Give us a REAL epic pirate-game now, devs!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so they canceled that very promising Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned RPG game that many journalists loved but green light this yet another lego game.

yeah Disney go shove this game up your ass , I am not buying any game from you until you bring back Armada of the Damned from the grave.

Salsa

mclem said:
Hang on. Logically, this means Lego Bill Nighy? Sold!

You know, this is the first thing i thought about as well, and i think im sold just because of that.

Totobeni said:
yeah Disney go shove this game up your ass , I am not buying any game from you until you bring back Armada of the Damned from the grave.

Have fun not playing Epic Mickey

2ykzz8i.png

Make it BITCHES :lol

Even considering that most of those characters will be costume changes, I'm shocked that the movies were even able to produce 70 characters.

element

Way to not take back a Toy Story game opportunity TT Games...
TT doesn't really select what properties they make games on with the Lego branding.

I was a little shocked as well when WBIE bought TT. I wasn't sure how they were going to continue the Lego branding or some of the more popular titles, such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

so they canceled that very promising Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned RPG game that many journalists loved but green light this yet another lego game.

It is just demand. These Lego games sell VERY well for their investment, while the POTC:A probably would have bombed as the target market doesn't care about POTC.

Pociask

So... tired, overdone franchise meets tired, overdone franchise? It's like a match made in heaven!

I say this having only played Complete Star Wars, which toward the end was a chore to complete(but I'm keeping it for aforementioned reason - will play with my daughter as soon as she can hold a controller!).

And the last two Pirates movies were both huge let downs, getting progressively worst, from the masterful first one.

I'm not saying this is going to be E.T. bad, but definite potential to be a terrible licensed movie game.

pelican

Pociask said:
So... tired, overdone franchise meets tired, overdone franchise? It's like a match made in heaven!

amen....

I really don't see the appeal to the Lego games. Sure in the beginning when it was a new approach, but now...come on.

WillyFive

dogmanstaruk said:
amen....

I really don't see the appeal to the Lego games. Sure in the beginning when it was a new approach, but now...come on.

Although all LEGO games still have the same formula (except LEGO Universe), they are still great fun.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn I still need to finish Harry Potter. I will buy this though. I love the casual laid back gameplay. And 100%ing them is addictive.

bryehn

These are great games to play co-op with the wife on a Sunday before football after smokin a doob and eating a greasy breakfast.

EYEL1NER

I still haven't played LHP yet, but I say bring more Lego games on!
Can't say I care too much for Harry Potter, Pirates, or Indiana Jones, or even Legos for that matter, but I love these games.

Articalys

Only Lego game I've played was the first Indy one, and that's because it was one of the pack-ins with the 360 bundle I got. Still enjoyed it though, and I can see PotC working well with the formula.

Man, I remember way back when I only knew about Traveller's Tales through Sonic 3D Blast.

Mike M

Nick N
My nephew absolutely LOVES this franchise, mostly because they don't really punish him for the fact he really really really sucks at all video games.

He came up to stay with my wife and I one spring break, and quite literally did nothing but play Lego Batman (The one Lego game I actually have) for pretty much every moment he was conscious. Consequently I have no desire to play that game or any other Lego game for the rest of my life.

He's banned from ever playing it at my house again, but he still asks every freakin' time he's up here...

KevinCow

Banned
someguyinahat said:
Even considering that most of those characters will be costume changes, I'm shocked that the movies were even able to produce 70 characters.

I dunno, they've got a pretty expansive cast of background and side characters. Barbossa's crew, Davy Jones's crew, the pirate lords' crews. I don't think it'd be too hard to get 70 characters.

Top Bottom