• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean announced

CoolS

So no official threat for this one? Just bought the 3DS version and will dive right in now. My first Lego game, hope I'll like it :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Buckethead said:
This looks fun but after Indy 2 I quit playing because they added so much nonsense in there.

This has been way better than Indy 2 thus far. Puzzle and level design is far superior, and the visual tweaks often make this game look stunning.

It's still ultimately the same experience gameplay-wise. But I felt really lukewarm way back with Indy 2, Batman, and even the very recent Star Wars III Clone Wars game. This has been a total pleasure in comparison.

CoolS

So, I played the first 2 levels now (already did the first one in free play, but couln't unlock everything yet :( ) and I really like it. It's a fun little game and I can see myself replaying it untill I get every damn unlockable.

Oh and I think the game is gorgeous. Seriously, the animations are nice and so many little effects that add a lot to it. Didn't expect that AT ALL. So far I don't regret my purchase.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PC demo is gorgeous. Too many cutscenes at the start, and IMO they don't work as well as the star wars ones - perhaps the original scenes aren't quite as iconic and engrained in our minds. I like the way Lego Jack Sparrow runs, and the voice/mumble he has seems spot on.

hoping it comes to steam as I'll definitely get this on PC if it has offline coop with support for two controllers. otherwise possibly PS3

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mrklaw said:
PC demo is gorgeous. Too many cutscenes at the start, and IMO they don't work as well as the star wars ones - perhaps the original scenes aren't quite as iconic and engrained in our minds. I like the way Lego Jack Sparrow runs, and the voice/mumble he has seems spot on.

hoping it comes to steam as I'll definitely get this on PC if it has offline coop with support for two controllers. otherwise possibly PS3
Link to the PC demo?

Cypher

Playing through the Xbox 360 version. Some impressions:

Great co-op game! Already beat the story modes of The Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest.

Not touching On Stranger Tides till I see the movie, though! :)

This game is not as varied as the Lego Star Wars games or Lego Indiana Jones 2. In those games, you could control a variety of vehicles which provided more fun to the gameplay. I was hoping you could at least control the ships of The Black Pearl or The Flying Dutchman.....heck even the smaller ones of The Interceptor or even the Dauntless, but alas no ship segments.

Also, this game is not as in-depth or robust as Lego Batman or Lego Harry Potter. The action (and puzzles) here are more straightforward (like Lego Indiana Jones 1 & 2) so it's readily more accessible to jump in and play. And it seems there's a little less levels overall compared to what's seen in the other games.

Graphically, the game looks look really nice. It's right up there with all of Traveller's Tales previous Lego games. Musically, it contains the scores from the movies which is a great to the ears. Lots of unlockables (characters, kits, modifiers, etc.) as expected to keep the replay value going!

In the end, the development time for Lego Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't as long (understandable, since they wanted to get the game out the door in time for the On Stranger Tides movie). Still, it's a fab and fun game and really enjoyable if you dug films!

I don't know if I got a bad 3DS cart or what, but I have had a few little hitches here and there.

The game has crashed twice on me at startup (hasn't for a while, though). There's also a weird issue where sometimes if an object is sticking out in 3D really far at the very edge of the screen it goes double, like if you're walking next to a building.

The only other problem I have with the game is the HUD, it takes up quite a bit of space and it seems like they could have just put that info on the bottom screen. It also looks weird because the HUD is 2D and sometimes if a very 3D object is behind it (sticking far out) it can kind of break the effect for me.

These problems realy aren't that bad (other than the crashing) and I'm still really enjoying the game. I must have gotten used to Pilotwings because the 3D in the game is very subtle, but it still looks nice.

Anyone know how different the console versions are from the 3DS version? Curious what I'm missing out on if anything? Less levels? Less music? Less cinematics?

Messi

Cypher said:
Playing through the Xbox 360 version. Some impressions:

Great co-op game! Already beat the story modes of The Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest.

Not touching On Stranger Tides till I see the movie, though! :)

This game is not as varied as the Lego Star Wars games or Lego Indiana Jones 2. In those games, you could control a variety of vehicles which provided more fun to the gameplay. I was hoping you could at least control the ships of The Black Pearl or The Flying Dutchman.....heck even the smaller ones of The Interceptor or even the Dauntless, but alas no ship segments.

Also, this game is not as in-depth or robust as Lego Batman or Lego Harry Potter. The action (and puzzles) here are more straightforward (like Lego Indiana Jones 1 & 2) so it's readily more accessible to jump in and play. And it seems there's a little less levels overall compared to what's seen in the other games.

Graphically, the game looks look really nice. It's right up there with all of Traveller's Tales previous Lego games. Musically, it contains the scores from the movies which is a great to the ears. Lots of unlockables (characters, kits, modifiers, etc.) as expected to keep the replay value going!

In the end, the development time for Lego Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't as long (understandable, since they wanted to get the game out the door in time for the On Stranger Tides movie). Still, it's a fab and fun game and really enjoyable if you dug films!

Just played the demo, loved it. Will be buying it next time I am at the store.

Jacks walk is great as are his grunts and 'voice'

Brandon F said:
This has been way better than Indy 2 thus far.
I will probably play this one eventually.

All the course builder crap in Indy 2 just looked awful and haven't had any interest in playing Star Wars for the 4000th time.

Cypher

Messi said:
Just played the demo, loved it. Will be buying it next time I am at the store.

Jacks walk is great as are his grunts and 'voice'

If you have a Fry's near you, it's on sale for $34.99. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rodney McKay said:
I don't know if I got a bad 3DS cart or what, but I have had a few little hitches here and there.

The game has crashed twice on me at startup (hasn't for a while, though). There's also a weird issue where sometimes if an object is sticking out in 3D really far at the very edge of the screen it goes double, like if you're walking next to a building.

The only other problem I have with the game is the HUD, it takes up quite a bit of space and it seems like they could have just put that info on the bottom screen. It also looks weird because the HUD is 2D and sometimes if a very 3D object is behind it (sticking far out) it can kind of break the effect for me.

These problems realy aren't that bad (other than the crashing) and I'm still really enjoying the game. I must have gotten used to Pilotwings because the 3D in the game is very subtle, but it still looks nice.

a friend has said his crashes if he has wifi on.

Sh0k

S1kkZ said:
anyone else had freezes on the 360 version? had 3 freezes so far (played about 6 hours).

I had the game freeze on me once, so far I played the game around 6-7 hours. Game is great by the way.

CoolS

mrklaw said:
a friend has said his crashes if he has wifi on.

I had one crash on the first star up as well, but nothing since then. Finished the first film now in about 2 hours. Gonna see what I can get in free play first now before I continue :)

Question for people who don't have the 3DS version: Does every film have 4 chapters in the other versions as well?

Manmedaz

I'm surprised no one said a word about the lame 1 on 1 fights yet. It could have been so exciting, but I find it just a waste of time because there's just no challenge to it...

Am I the only one bothered by that ?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
CoolS said:
I had one crash on the first star up as well, but nothing since then. Finished the first film now in about 2 hours. Gonna see what I can get in free play first now before I continue :)

Question for people who don't have the 3DS version: Does every film have 4 chapters in the other versions as well?

360 has 5 chapters per film. Having seen a couple 3DS vids, the actual puzzles and level layouts are slightly altered as well, with the 3DS version having removed elements from the console versions.

XxCGSxX

Brandon F said:
360 has 5 chapters per film. Having seen a couple 3DS vids, the actual puzzles and level layouts are slightly altered as well, with the 3DS version having removed elements from the console versions.
Yeah, I got this yesterday and I thought the 3ds version was the same as the console versions bt when I watched a video of the 360 version it isn't. Cut scenes are shorter and there is one chapter missing in each movie, for example in the first movie the 4th chapter was missing. But it seems that even tho the level layout is the same as the handheld versions on the other hand it is using the Wii assets and the graphics IMO look better. Pretty good and fun but I wish It would've been the same as the console version.

I gotta say, the AI in this game is starting to piss me off! The characters get in my way all the time. This is especially true in levels where you have to walk on planks. They run in front of you and then make it so you can't continue ahead. In White Cap Bay I had to restart the level because a character dropped one of the bomb crates in a weird position so that I couldn't pick it up again, but it wasn't destroyed so it wouldn't respawn. I'm really enjoying the game so far, but the glitches and AI silliness has to stop!

Manmedaz

I just tried the PC demo after finishing the game on 3DS. It's really an amazing game on HD platforms, but it has lost its soul on 3DS. Most of the cutscenes are cut, the game has less details, is much more easy, they added the horrible 1 on 1 fights I spoke about earlier, etc.. Really a shame, I would tell anyone considering the 3DS version to get the 360/ps3/PC version instead, really - especially to fans of the movie. 3DS version is only good to really young children.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
SalsaShark said:
They are fun games to have on the go, PSP ones are nice.

Agreed. I think they're excellent portable games. I was absolutely hooked on Clone Wars on my PSP, and have just started Pirates.

Anyone played this on PS3 yet? I don't have two controllers for 360 and want to play offline co-op. PS3 framerate/quality check please! :)

Playing it on PS3. This is my first Lego game. I've not been a big fan the the demos and brief plays of the series but I love the Pirate films so I thought I'd give it a go and I've rather enjoyed it. There's a lot of stuff to collect and unlock so the replayability is nice. There are a few problems with the game however. Stuff like complete freezes randomly, getting stuck or trapped and not being able to free yourself (could to with a LBP self destruct) and the naff AI. There's also a few parts when it's not clear what you're supposed to be doing and no helpful hints to point you on your way. Some of the levels were a bit frustrating but there were some pretty cool moments in there.

Finding all the minikits and the treasure is going to be a long task, even with the help of pointers, some of them are a mystery. But overall a good game with nice graphics, yet let down a bit by annoying glitches and a bit more polish.

snap0212

I'm kind of surprised this game is not getting more love. Might be because the LEGO games come out too frequently? Anyways; I picked it up for the 3DS because I wanted to play something other than Ridge Racer. I think the game is good, but I should have bought it for the 360 or the PS3. The colors look a bit washed out and are not as vibrant as they should be. The cutscenes don't look that good either, somehow as if they were compressed to no end.

Just like the other LEGO games there are a lot of things to collect and while I want to find everything, I don't really have the patience to look everywhere. Does anyone know if there's a FAQ available that tells me where the red bricks are hidden? :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished this. Really enjoyed it. The split screen on PS3 made me dizzy sometimes, but it was a whole heap of fun. First game I've ever completed 100% including all trophies (my first platinum!)

kids enjoyed it too. Story mode was fun but the freeplay was surprisingly fun too - getting the minikit finder and then hunting them out. My daughter is now in a pirate phase wearing a belt around her shoulder to be Captain Jack Sparrow :)

Went out and bought the Star Wars lego complete story (episodes I-VI) and will play that next.

glaurung

mrklaw said:
Just finished this. Really enjoyed it. The split screen on PS3 made me dizzy sometimes, but it was a whole heap of fun. First game I've ever completed 100% including all trophies (my first platinum!)

kids enjoyed it too. Story mode was fun but the freeplay was surprisingly fun too - getting the minikit finder and then hunting them out. My daughter is now in a pirate phase wearing a belt around her shoulder to be Captain Jack Sparrow :)

Went out and bought the Star Wars lego complete story (episodes I-VI) and will play that next.
I finished the PS3 version a few weeks back and I enjoyed it immensely.

I am a sucker for the music score of the movies and I got plenty of that here, the character roster is nice and the game even managed to convey the events of the fourth movie in a nice way (the movie itself was a turd though). Hunting down all the extra characters and then the red hats was fun.

The only problems with the game were that it did lock up a few times (lack of QA I say) and that the campaign itself is a tad short. But maybe that's a blessing.

What's definitely not a blessing: the graphics are consistently sub-HD. Doesn't look that bad on a smaller screen or when viewed from a distance with poor eyesight, but on a bigger TV and up-close everything looks like it's got hairs growing out of it.

If I were to want something similar and with an unlockable factor equal to this game, what should I buy? I tried the Clone Wars demo on some platform and I did not find it too thrilling, is the original movie saga game better?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i found the graphics odd. They were beautiful - motion blur per character, great lighting and shadows etc. but like you say they were poor when viewed up close. Luckily we usually play from a distance so it looked great.

I'd go for the original saga - they have a combo release with all six movies that I bought. That seems more similar in style to the pirates game. I downloaded the clone wars demo, and a friend has played it through, and to my mind it has too much of the RTS-lite areas that slows things down and is a little confusing. It does have the new graphics engine though which looks nice - but the complete saga is still pretty.

Top Bottom