• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pakistani teen jailed for blasphemy

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/02/03/pakistan.blasphemy/index.html?hpt=T2

cnn said:
"Pakistan has set the standard for intolerance when it comes to misusing blasphemy laws, but sending a schoolboy to jail for something he scribbled on an exam paper is truly appalling," Bede Sheppard, senior children's rights researcher at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement Wednesday.

cnn said:
They arrested 17 year-old Sami Ullah in Karachi after receiving a complaint from the local board of education, said Karachi police official Qudrat Shah Lodhi.
Lodhi declined to say what Ullah wrote in his high school exam for fear of violating Pakistan's blasphemy laws himself.

cnn said:
The controversial laws say whoever defiles the name of the prophet shall be punished by death or imprisoned for life.
The laws came into sharp focus early this year when liberal Pakistani politician Salman Taseer was gunned down after leading a public campaign to change them.

Taseer said the laws were being misused to persecute minorities.

When people argue about "separation of church and state" and what it means to have an Islamic government in Egypt and other nations, these are the kind of very legitimate concerns that will arise during this period of transition. With a law like this surrounding any ideology, it can be indefinitely self-sustaining from generation to generation, and a majority is always ensured.

xbhaskarx

Stay classy, Pakistan.

Lodhi declined to say what Ullah wrote in his high school exam for fear of violating Pakistan's blasphemy laws himself.

LOL, how do blasphemy trials work? Are the prosecutors or witnesses immediately arrested?

SmokyDave

0.jpg

Jehovah!

It's hard to read stories like this (of the grasp any religion holds upon a large group of people or entire regions/lives) and not get really angry. Sometimes it makes me think they create the hell they are trying to escape.

Fucking ignorance, news at 11.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait...if no-one can actually say what he wrote, does that apply to showing what he wrote as well?
If so then there are some holes in this system large enough to drive a truck with a blue whale strapped to the top through.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
And it's not like this occurred in some village in the middle of nowhere where you can use the excuse that people are less modern and still caught up in stupid old ways. This happened in Karachi for fucks sake.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Is this part of Sharia law? Blasphemy punishable by death?
Wikipedia said:
An Islamic state, Afghanistan prohibits blasphemy as an offence under Sharia.
An Islamic theocracy, Iran derives its law against blasphemy from Sharia.
The United Arab Emirates discourage blasphemy by controlling what is published and distributed, by using Sharia punishments against Muslims, and by using judge-made penalties against non-Muslims.
Sharia, according to some interpretations, prescribes death as the proper punishment for blasphemy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law

Zapages

siddx said:
And it's not like this occurred in some village in the middle of nowhere where you can use the excuse that people are less modern and still caught up in stupid old ways. This happened in Karachi for fucks sake.

happening in a big city does not mean anything... Every city there has modern part and backwards parts... I know because I have visited the following cities in Pakistan: Lahore, Peshawar, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Gujranwala, Swat, Kagaan, and Murree from top of my head.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Zapages said:
happening in a big city does not mean anything... Every city there has modern part and backwards parts... I know because I have visited the following cities in Pakistan: Lahore, Peshawar, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Gujranwala, Swat, Kagaan, and Murree from top of my head.

Thats what I am saying. You could almost understand something this backwards happening in village in the middle of nowhere in some nations. But for it to be prevalent in Pakistan's modern cities is pathetic and sad. Pre 911 I don't recall this kind of stuff happening very often. When I lived in that region I didn't hear a whole lot of negativity about Pakistan. It really seems to be getting worse as the years go on.

SmokyDave

MaddenNFL64 said:
Is this part of Sharia law? Blasphemy punishable by death?
It is, yeah. As far as I'm aware, Asia Bibi is still sitting in prison waiting to be hung. A government adviser that spoke out in her favour and against the blasphemy law was killed by one of his own security guards.

Absolutely fucking retarded. If there was a god, people that support this sort of thing would be burning eternally.

xbhaskarx said:
Stay classy, Pakistan.

LOL, how do blasphemy trials work? Are the prosecutors or witnesses immediately arrested?

Look, they are executing people for saying bad stuff about an invisible man in the sky. Reason is out the window, bro.

Zapages

I have been talking with my cousins back in Lahore... They seem to tell that the society there is very confused due to whole 9/11 and the war that is happening just right next to her... Although my cousins there have good/normal jobs... Its still not straight forward. Folks who were religious or hero to them aka Taliban aka Mujahedeen are not their enemy just because the country is supporting the US. This confuses the normal man who might struggle to find food and is not educated nor does he follow the news.

Some people have become very liberal while some have become very backward religious due to the Wahabi religious schools present there... The middle class is very confused and in real tight position due to all this. Thus very liberal and very conservatives are head butting each other. :\

The main problem is this, Sharia law is always an interruption based on what scholars says... But the problem is this Sharia law has not be codified and is always has been interrupted based on what a scholar thinks.

xbhaskarx

crimzonflame said:
Who would have that after 40 years Bangladesh turned out to be in better shape than Pakistan.

It depends on what you mean by better shape. GDP per capita (PPP) is only a little over half that of Pakistan. On the other hand large areas of the country are not completely out of government control.

Zapages said:
The main problem is this, Sharia law is always an interruption based on what scholars says... But the problem is this Sharia law has not be codified and is always has been interrupted based on what a scholar thinks.

Before you bash "Wahabi religious schools" for being backwards...

Zapages

xbhaskarx said:
It depends on what you mean by better shape. GDP per capita (PPP) is only a little over half that of Pakistan. On the other hand large areas of the country are not completely out of government control...

Pakistan and Bangladesh are totally different IMHO. The country is smaller than Pakistan.

Pakistan is made up of different ethnicity (Punjabi, Sindhi, Balochi, Pashtun, Kashmiri, and then there is folks who live in the mountains their own different ethnicity). Bangladesh does not have to deal with all these different ethnicity trying to live together.

Sanjay

SmokyDave said:
It is, yeah. As far as I'm aware, Asia Bibi is still sitting in prison waiting to be hung. A government adviser that spoke out in her favour and against the blasphemy law was killed by one of his own security guards.

Absolutely fucking retarded. If there was a god, people that support this sort of thing would be burning eternally.

Blasphemy, Kill him!

Zapages said:
I have been talking with my cousins back in Lahore... They seem to tell that the society there is very confused due to whole 9/11 and the war that is happening just right next to her... Although my cousins there have good/normal jobs... Its still not straight forward. Folks who were religious or hero to them aka Taliban aka Mujahedeen are not their enemy just because the country is supporting the US. This confuses the normal man who might struggle to find food and is not educated nor does he follow the news.

Some people have become very liberal while some have become very backward religious due to the Wahabi religious schools present there... The middle class is very confused and in real tight position due to all this. Thus very liberal and very conservatives are head butting each other. :\

= god we are so fucking confused.

Pakistani is such a failed state, gears set in reverse.

Zapages

The following things need to happen in Pakistan.

The Army/military needs to keep their business out of Pakistan's politics. Kick Zadari, Shareef Brothers, Altaf Hassan and many other corrupt landowners out of Pakistan or better yet put them in jail to rot.

Then allow a whole new group of politicians more specifically Imran Khan to come into power. But yeah...

Zapages

Guys we need to stop comparing how our laws and way of thinking with Pakistan or any country out there... As it will only bring more sadness for us.

As a lot of people in Pakistan support this law may it be due to lack of education or any other reason...

Zapages said:
Guys we need to stop comparing how our laws and way of thinking with Pakistan or any country out there... As it will only bring more sadness for us.

As a lot of people in Pakistan support this law may it be due to lack of education or any other reason...

NO one needs to support or stop speaking out against such repulsive shit. Stop enabling it.

Zapages said:

WTF, the problem is not scholars' interpretation of the Koran. I mean how many problems do interpretations of the Norse mythology cause? The main problem is that the majority believe that their mythology is true, and the kids are brainwashed into believing a silly book of fairytales that perpetuates the status quo.

Zapages said:
The following things need to happen in Pakistan.

The Army/military needs to keep their business out of Pakistan's politics. Kick Zadari, Shareef Brothers, Altaf Hassan and many other corrupt landowners out of Pakistan or better yet put them in jail to rot.

Then allow a whole new group of politicians more specifically Imran Khan to come into power. But yeah...

you need something like Egypt. Until the people realize they want to move forward nothing will happen. People need to realize their country is in shithole and needs to do something about it.

minus_273

Banned
afternoon delight said:
It's hard to read stories like this (of the grasp any religion holds upon a large group of people or entire regions/lives) and not get really angry. Sometimes it makes me think they create the hell they are trying to escape.

Fucking ignorance, news at 11.

how is anyone surprised, people few planes into the world trade center for the religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom