• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Election 2011: Blue ocean, orange crush, and a red tide washed out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ttee-report-finds-government-in-contempt?bn=1

OTTAWA—A Commons committee has passed a report recommending the Conservative government be found in contempt of parliament.

The historic move by the Commons procedure and house affairs committee could lead to a non-confidence vote, which could bring down the government and launch a spring election.

The report, just a dozen pages long, concludes the government is in contempt for refusing to disclose the full cost estimates for its anti-crime legislation, corporate tax cuts and its plan to buy stealth fighter jets.

The committee is also considering whether to find International Co-operation Minister Bev Oda in contempt for misleading MPs on her decision to deny funding to a charitable organization critical of Israeli policies.

This is the first time in history that a government has been found in contempt.

Pretty much guarantees a spring election, and this is some juicy ammunition.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If this goes to election (it will go to elections) I will vote for the first time in my life. And goddamn it, I will vote smart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Time to see what happens with the budget.

Harper will win an election though and we'll get another two years of minority government while the Liberals fire Ignatieff and go off on search of another leader.

firehawk12 said:
Time to see what happens with the budget.

Harper will win an election though and we'll get another two years of minority government while the Liberals fire Ignatieff and go off on search of another leader.

I really doubt that. The shit Harper's pulled puts the sponsorship "scandal" to shame.

Oh look another corrupt, incompetent government in Canada and the alternatives aren't any better.

Where have I seen this before ?

Neki

well all only one party has been spending money on political ads, so you know who is getting my vote!

LCfiner

Zombie James said:
I really doubt that. The shit Harper's pulled puts the sponsorship "scandal" to shame.

don't put the word scandal in quotes, please. it was real fraud.

If they hadn't been so corrupt and stupid, we wouldn't have just had 6 years of minority conservative governments. the Liberals sealed their own fate with that bullshit.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Zombie James said:

People always seem to forget. Remember when he prorogued Parliament and there was outrage, or the Afghanistan detainee issue? Well, none of the Canadian public does. Such incredibly short memory. I doubt UBB will ever be heard from again thanks to the 60 day delay we had. Well played, CRTC.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zombie James said:
Yeah, but no one cares about that stuff. I mean, the only reason the sponsorship scandal had play was because it offended the "nation" of Quebec.

This time Harper doesn't even have Danny Williams to shit on him out east. Unless he's caught on tape saying how he hates Alberta or something, he'll have a comfortable minority. Whether or not the party will be happy with yet another minority win is another issue... if that happens, he might be forced to step down at which point... well, the way Harper has killed his party, there's really no one waiting to take over.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LCfiner said:
don't put the word scandal in quotes, please. it was real fraud.

If they hadn't been so corrupt and stupid, we wouldn't have just had 6 years of minority conservative governments. the Liberals sealed their own fate with that bullshit.
Naw, I'm sure if Chretien was in charge, he would have found a way to turn that into a win. Motherfucker was a pimp during the Gomery inquiry.

Zombie James said:

I always read on GAF that Harper is the most vile, despotic, corrupt, evil politician to ever live.

Since I'm not super familiar with Canadian politics, could someone tell me what's so bad about him? That is, other than that he's a big conservative meanie pants.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TheAtomicPile said:
I always read on GAF that Harper is the most vile, despotic, corrupt, evil politician to ever live.

Since I'm not super familiar with Canadian politics, could someone tell me what's so bad about him? That is, other than that he's a big conservative meanie pants.
It's government malaise. It's not about governing the country but clinging to power at this point, which is why you had a week of scandals last week.

TheAtomicPile said:

The big ones, in no particular order:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's small shit compared to the real stuff like the Oda/Kinney shit. The fact that almost all of the old Reform guys are jumping ship is an indication to how the hardcore fringe of the party is tired with all the antics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. And if you live in a shitty incumbent riding, there's no point in voting at all unless you're voting for the clear winner.

Roofy

I'd like to get into canadian politics but its so boring compared to the states.

plus, the area im in always votes NDP because its a stupid union city. needless to say, we get fucked over every year

Slime

Banned
EvilMario said:
People always seem to forget. Remember when he prorogued Parliament and there was outrage, or the Afghanistan detainee issue? Well, none of the Canadian public does. Such incredibly short memory. I doubt UBB will ever be heard from again thanks to the 60 day delay we had. Well played, CRTC.

I think of all the people I know, only one of them is actually in any way informed about issues affecting Canadians. Most other people are actually more concerned about American politics. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the average Canadian knows more about recent hockey drama than they do really anything going on in government. With the level of apathy I see, I have no idea how this country even functions sometimes.

Zombie James said:

I don't really know enough about Harper to say if I'm a fan or not, but I feel like this is small-time stuff compared to what politicians get away with in the states.

If this is the worst he's done, I'd gladly trade Harper for any of our politicians. Then again, given how fucked our system is, he'd probably grow to be just as bad very quickly.

xclaw said:
I don't even know who to vote for anymore, aren't they all terrible at this point?

Canadian politics is all about lesser evils. At least the Liberals got rid of Stephane Dion. How they ever thought he was gonna get elected is beyond me.

Kud Dukan

I fully expect that, when the spring election (which seems all but certain at this point) is over, we'll have a Conservative minority goverment again, so an election just seems like a waste of money IMO.

Deku

Banned
Liberals have zero credibility. They pretty much rode the 90s on good economic performance, which Harper now is claiming credit for, and stability with a fractured right.

I get mailings from the conservatives hitting on middle class issues. That alone has broad appeal and should hold enough voters in the camp.

nemesun

Same shit, different year; forever stuck in stalemate. 60% of population will be happy with how things are as long as economy stay strong. Liberalism is a dying breed in this country.

Cheerilee

The report produced by the opposition-dominated committee concludes the government has failed to produce the documents it was ordered to hand over and that it has not provided a “reasonable excuse” for failing to do so.

The documents the government did provide, the report concludes, were unsatisfactory.

“This failure impedes the House in the performance of its functions and … the government’s failure to produce documents constitutes a contempt of Parliament,” the opposition-dominated committee wrote in the report tabled to the Commons on Monday.

The Conservative MPs on the committee attached a minority report arguing the majority report did not take into account the documents the government did provide.

The opposition MPs “who voted to pass the conclusions of the committee report gave only a cursory review of the information provided,” the minority report concludes. “Had they treated it seriously, they would have found detailed information that answered fully and directly the request of the motion.”
This report by itself is nothing historic or damning, it's an announcement that Harper's political opponents are ready to throw down. Which seems odd, because the new budget is coming out this week, where they're expected to actually throw down by voting on it. Posturing before it happens just means that they want something.

ryan-ts

Kud Dukan said:
I fully expect that, when the spring election (which seems all but certain at this point) is over, we'll have a Conservative minority goverment again, so an election just seems like a waste of money IMO.

The Liberals have a huge weakness they can exploit but it's going to hard to support them when they're running attack ads against the Conservatives.

If I hand in my ballot but don't pick anyone do I still get the right to complain about the government? I'm not interested in voting for anyone this time around.

Mission

Zombie James said:

I would put a lot of those in the "I don't agree with his policies" bucket (let's be clear, I don't either) but there are worse things in terms of his government.

* The party has a tendency to get racist / sexist people elected only to have to disavow them later.
* Bev Oda's modification of a committee recommendation to make it appear it wasn't her own stance on not giving funding to Kairos
* Harper drag raced down an airfield and when questioned about it being illegal he stated "I think I make the rules around here"
* His government forcefully removed the head of a regulatory board who was speaking for the people he was elected to represent because the views he was representing weren't the same as the government.

Hey You

This is going to be interesting.

Kinitari said:
If this goes to election (it will go to elections) I will vote for the first time in my life. And goddamn it, I will vote smart.
Same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom