• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Election 2011: Blue ocean, orange crush, and a red tide washed out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZimJaBim

Neo Member
Harper or bust. Unfortunately there is no alternative the the conservatives. NDP are crazy and would bankrupt the country. Liberals will do anything to get into power, Hello lets fund the arena in Quebec with no business plan in a vain attempt to get French votes. Oh and lets not forget the sponsorship scandal is 100x worse then anything the conservatives have done so far.

I don't like how the conservatives play the tough on crime card. I don't like there political games but when you look at the alternative there really is no other choice.

zedge

LOL @ people that think it will be any better with the Liberals or any other party. Give me a break. There are scandals and BS with every party that has been in power in this country.

zedge

Fatghost said:
Will an election stop Bill C-32 and Usage Based Billing?

I highly doubt that is high on the agenda for the majority of Canadians.. Unless we are now a county of torrent kiddies, the only people really affected by this.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
zedge said:
I highly doubt that is high on the agenda for the majority of Canadians.. Unless we are now a county of torrent kiddies, the only people really affected by this.

I mean from a process stand point, will this mean Bill C-32 will need to be re-introduced? We've been spared from this bullshit by the last few elections. Only good thing that will come from another election is stopping that bullshit.

UberTag

It's kind of a shame Layton & the NDP can't break through as a party of legitimacy instead of the common perception that a vote for them is a spoiled ballot.

It would be nice to have a choice instead of being stuck with a non-fiscal Bush-wannabe Tory and a Liberal army with no leader and no vision. Duceppe's constant presence doesn't help matters... it's a shame he's the best public speaker of the bunch.

soultron

Banned
I really wish more young people would take more of an interest in Canadian politics. It was hard enough to get conversations going about UBB and DMCA.

This is going to be like pushing a cubevan over a mountain. Already started to talk on Facebook about it, but everyone seems to want to laugh about Rebecca Black and avoid their government's misdoings.

It really is depressing, sometimes.

Popstar

TheAtomicPile said:
I don't really know enough about Harper to say if I'm a fan or not, but I feel like this is small-time stuff compared to what politicians get away with in the states.

If this is the worst he's done, I'd gladly trade Harper for any of our politicians. Then again, given how fucked our system is, he'd probably grow to be just as bad very quickly.
The one nobody talks about. Trying to bribe an MP dying of cancer in order to bring down the government.

Firestorm

I'm voting the same way I did last time and I'm hoping the rest of my riding does too. I vote based on MP rather than party.

zedge

soultron said:
I really wish more young people would take more of an interest in Canadian politics. It was hard enough to get conversations going about UBB and DMCA.

This is going to be like pushing a cubevan over a mountain. Already started to talk on Facebook about it, but everyone seems to want to laugh about Rebecca Black and avoid their government's misdoings.

It really is depressing, sometimes.

The party that adopts social media and reaches out to the younger people will help itself alot. It worked here in Calgary for Mayor Nenshi.

Im gonna vote the shit against Harper. Canada's credibility pretty much everywhere has gone down thanks to this douche government. Also John Baird seriously needs to go.

Home

My county is full of old retired people so it usually goes conservative (although our MPP has been liberal for 2-3 elections now) and I'll most likely vote liberal as I did last election.

I'm really hoping that the liberals can pull out this one or if not, atleast have the ndp and liberals gain enough seats to form a coalition government. Can't stand Harper's politics, attitude, and just his way of doing things.

zedge

Buba Big Guns said:
Im gonna vote the shit against Harper. Canada's credibility pretty much everywhere has gone down thanks to this douche government. Also John Baird seriously needs to go.

Sure, but what is the alternative? I think for the most part Canadians will stick with the status quo.

soultron

Banned
zedge said:
The party that adopts social media and reaches out to the younger people will help itself alot. It worked here in Calgary for Mayor Nenshi.
It's going to need to be a very focused effort. Full YouTube channels, FB Pages, Twitter (look at Tony Clement, re: UBB) and the lot.

Talking on Facebook about it barely ever generates any discussion, in my opinion. I try it all the time.

I vote based on MP rather than party.
So do I. As a young voter, it seems that it's always going to be Libs/Cons at the helm, so I feel choosing the best municipal representative is the better choice. I just don't feel like my vote really matters at the federal level any more because I've never once identified with a Lib/Con platform. I know I'll get shit for it, but I always go NDP because their reps in my ridings are always more in tune with what I'd like to see happen in my area.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
ZimJaBim said:
Seems everyone here hates the conservatives but can anyone tell me how the liberals will be any better?

They all suck. Best thing that can happen to the country is a continued succession of minority governments. Ideally this time we'd get a liberal minority so they don't get complacent and feel like they can get away with shit like the conservatives do now.

zedge

ZimJaBim said:
Seems everyone here hates the conservatives but can anyone tell me how the liberals will be any better?

Thats the problem. I don't think they will, in fact I would dare to say we would be worse off right now. Are things really that bad here? We came through the recession much better than most other countries, and the economy is getting better. I dunno. Regardless of which party is in power there will be scandals and bullshit.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Nothing like Canadian politics to make my blood boil *backs away from the computer* lol.

EDIT: You know, every party makes stupid decisions, but I have never seen a government with such disregard for the facts, science, etc... The things I've seen and heard... God damn.

Firestorm

soultron said:
So do I. As a young voter, it seems that it's always going to be Libs/Cons at the helm, so I feel choosing the best municipal representative is the better choice. I just don't feel like my vote really matters at the federal level any more because I've never once identified with a Lib/Con platform. I know I'll get shit for it, but I always go NDP because their reps in my ridings are always more in tune with what I'd like to see happen in my area.
Mine is NDP too. Although come to think of it, we're supposed to vote for our permanent address MP right? Just realized I likely won't be home during the election. Guessing I'd mail in?

Home

How can you argue that things will be worse under the liberals? It isn't as if the conservative have been the most fiscally responsible, heck they want to purchase 65 fighter jets (which they originally said would be 9 billion dollars when it's going to be close to 30 billion. That's why they were just found in contempt of parliament (among others things).

Heck he prorogued parliament to prevent a no confidence vote and a potential coalition government and then he prorogued it again to get prevent the inquiry into Afghan detainees.

You really don't think the liberals or NDP could do better? really?

zedge said:
Sure, but what is the alternative? I think for the most part Canadians will stick with the status quo.
Canadians will stick with the status quo. But like others have said, its because people dont really give a shit. Harper is shady as hell, and reminds me of a neocon (except he cant show it). Coupled with the fact that pretty much his entire cabinet are a bunch of turds, any option is better than a conservative government.

zedge

Home said:
How can you argue that things will be worse under the liberals? It isn't as if the conservative have been the most fiscally responsible, heck they want to purchase 65 fighter jets (which they originally said would be 9 billion dollars when it's going to be close to 30 billion. That's why they were just found in contempt of parliament (among others things).

Heck he prorogued parliament to prevent a no confidence vote and a potential coalition government and then he prorogued it again to get prevent the inquiry into Afghan detainees.

You really don't think the liberals or NDP could do better? really?
Well if Canadians ever vote one of those parties into power again guess we will find out. How short our memory seems to be of past governments.

SRG01

This is way better than the thread I made a while back. :D

But at any rate, there's been speculation that the NDP may support the budget if the Conservatives include what they're asking for.

nw-number-cruncher_1256238a.jpg

Harper has been found in contempt of Parliament? I can't believe it!

Oh, I can believe he's in contempt. I just can't believe this slippery character has finally been called on it.

LCfiner

BloodySinner said:
So how come no one was on Paul Martin's ass during the sponsorship scandal? MILLIONS of dollars went missing.
Um... the liberal party was in shambles after it was revealed. They lost the majority and haven't recovered since. I'd say the public was very vocal about their distaste for the sponsorship scandal.

Edit. If you're referring to the contempt of parliament thing, it's not the same. There had to be criminal hearings for the sponsorship scandal. This is different.

Big-E

There really needs to be a schism in the Conservative party so that conservatives have more than one choice to vote for. Left has 3 parties while the right only one.

Zzoram

The NDP and Liberals need to merge. The right had 2 parties but they merged and now they win elections. The left has 2 parties and split the vote.

The Bloc just holds the country ransom with threats of succession to subsidize crazy Quebec entitlement spending.

zedge said:
Thats the problem. I don't think they will, in fact I would dare to say we would be worse off right now. Are things really that bad here? We came through the recession much better than most other countries, and the economy is getting better. I dunno. Regardless of which party is in power there will be scandals and bullshit.

This is the attitude that I pictured most Canadians having.

I mean, you guys might not like Harper, but you did just get through the worst global recession in recent history relatively unscathed. For lefties, things might not be ideal, but surely the country is far from falling apart under this Conservative rule.

I am not a fan of the Conservatives because of their tough on crime stance, which empirically does not work. It is expensive and ineffective. All it does is make ignorant people feel better. This is a billion dollar problem that we do not need.

I am in favour of increased military spending, and I support a stronger military presence in Canada's north. As the pole melts, more natural resources will become available further north. It is important we protect those resources against falsified land claims from other countries. That said, I am not in agreeance with Harper's decision to purchase those fighter jets. That money could be better spent on other aspects of our military.

Basically, I am a Liberal. I was happy with the decisions they made during their reign of power. I want Canada to be a socially progressive nation that is also fiscally responsible. I will likely vote NDP because NDP is the closest competition to the Conservatives in my riding, but I would not want an NDP governed country. I also am not enthused with Ignatieff. He's almost as embarassing as Dion. ugh.

e: just realized that while I consider myself a Liberal, I have voted NDP in every single provicinal and federal election :|. lollll. Maybe I am just in denial?

SRG01

What I don't understand is how the CPC is trending upward in the polls as of late.

Everyone go to threehundredeight.blogspot.com and check out their analysis. It's quite a strange phenomenon, especially when you look at the regional numbers.

Zzoram

TheAtomicPile said:

I mean, you guys might not like Harper, but you did just get through the worst global recession in recent history relatively unscathed. For lefties, things might not be ideal, but surely the country is far from falling apart under this Conservative rule.

He didn't really do anything though. Canada's economy got through unscaved because our banks are better regulated and Canadian's have a much smaller debt load.

All Harper's done since taking office when related to economics was cut the sales tax 2%, give GM and Chrysler $5B (which any government would've), and force the banks to take a bailout that they didn't want or need.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TheAtomicPile said:
I don't really know enough about Harper to say if I'm a fan or not, but I feel like this is small-time stuff compared to what politicians get away with in the states.

If this is the worst he's done, I'd gladly trade Harper for any of our politicians. Then again, given how fucked our system is, he'd probably grow to be just as bad very quickly.

K thank you for the great insight but here is something that might put things into perspective: you can win only $2000 on Familiy Feud in Canada.

We are also a population of 34 million.

Maybe that puts things in perspective?

I want our fucking wasted billions of dollars BACK.

zedge

TheAtomicPile said:

Pretty much. And our conservatives are fiscal conservatives, not right wing neo cons like the US. Hell, our conservatives are more liberal than US liberals for petes sake. I am not saying Harper is the best and we should ignore recent events. I am just not convinced the alternatives are better. And for the record I voted Liberal last election as I though he was the best candidate for my riding.

Anyway, its nice to see a healthy debate going on here. Well done Canada GAF!

Zzoram

Ya, just because Canadian politicians aren't as dirty as US politicians doesn't mean we should be happy about it.

The Liberals have been out for almost a decade as payment for the sponsorship scandal. That's enough punishment, the Conservatives are starting to do damage and they need to go.

Gilles Duceppe is my MP in my riding; not much I do when a power horse sits on a stronghold.

I will vote anyway out of principle, because every vote to a party awards them 10 cents or something

so I will vote Liberal if Iggy does a good campaign or vote NDP if Iggy does a shit campaign

Cynar

Zzoram said:
The NDP and Liberals need to merge. The right had 2 parties but they merged and now they win elections. The left has 2 parties and split the vote.

The Bloc just holds the country ransom with threats of succession to subsidize crazy Quebec entitlement spending.

No, this would be bad. Bad in every way possible

ismaboof

Firestorm said:
I'm voting the same way I did last time and I'm hoping the rest of my riding does too. I vote based on MP rather than party.
Boy party solidarity must burn your britches then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom