• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Major Loss, Cancels Games [Up: Funds Rebalancing]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

Since this seems to be the more pertinent thread for this discussion, Square Enix is reallocating their funds around.

This chart doesn't quite make sense given the title though:

eidoseuuw.png

Original:

Courtesy of AndriaSang.

Square Enix has shifted their financial expectations from a $12 million profit to a $150 million loss.

They also incurred $55 million loss related to game cancellations.

AndriaSang said:
Square Enix Revises Earnings Forecasts For Major Loss
Losses attributed in part to cancellations as company tightens its selection standards.

Posted on 05.12.2011 at 14:06, by Anoop Gantayat

Square Enix announced revised earnings expectations today. The company says that it will incur a net loss of 12,000 million yen [$150 million] for the previous fiscal year. Its previous forecast from February 3 listed a modest net profit of 1,000 million yen.

The revision is due to extraordinary losses, in part from a "tightened selection standard" for games. This will result in 4.5 billion yen [$55 million] in losses related to development cancellations. A press release announcing the revision did not share specifics beyond this.

The company will also incur a "loss on disaster" of approximately 0.6 billion yen related to the Tohoku earthquake. This is for closures and restoration of amusement facilities.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/12/square_enix_earnings_revision/

More at the link.

Original PDF: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/110512.pdf

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If they're going to be conservative with budgets I assume a bunch of 3DS titles were cut.

Vamphuntr

Takao said:
Eh, I liked your post better when it said Mindjack, since let's be honest here, did anyone even know that came out? Nope.

I also think it had a fairly limited print since I never saw the game anywhere.

Well i knew they were going to lose money because of the quake.
Then there FFIV wonder how much they lose on that .
SE this gen just take way to long to make consoles games compare to the PS1 and PS2 days.

duckroll said:
50 million dollars into development to be exact...

Duck where did you get that number from ?

mujun

Takao said:
Eh, I liked your post better when it said Mindjack, since let's be honest here, did anyone even know that came out? Nope.

I played it and I'll tell you this, I wish I hadn't. I say that as someone who loves to dig into a B grade game.

hamchan

As long as it wasn't the unrevealed, unannounced TWEWY 2 for 3DS in my dreams that was cancelled I'm fine with whatever!

duckroll said:
50 million dollars into development to be exact...
Well goddamn. Nomura had to cast some serious voodoo magic on Wada to secure that kinda budget. I hope these forecasts act as a whipping tool for them to make quality stuff and not put development of games in a never ending pipeline.

This is a good thing. I used to be a be a big square fan but they haven't done it for me in a while. They need a shakeup. And I probably get my wish of no more FF mmos.

markot

Banned
I think its clear that the Square part of the company needs a huge overhaul... they are so far up their own asses.

ezekial45

Banned
Considering what they've got lined up (Hitman, Deus Ex, FFvXIII, FF Type-0, FFXIII-2, DQ, etc), they'll bounce back just fine.

Still sucks for those losses though.

EatChildren said:
If they're going to be conservative with budgets I assume a bunch of 3DS titles were cut.

Getting out the "jump to conclusions" mat?

Chocobo Racing was probably cancelled, though, but who gives a damn.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They probably canceled Chrono Break.

Negator

Final Fantasy XIV must have been a disaster for the company. Could it be the second coming of The Spirits Within?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Marius_ said:
which frees Nomura to make Kingdom Hearts 3.
Will be announced at E3.
iOS exclusive here we come!

Chaos Rings leads the way to a brighter future.

They even announced a prequel and a sequel to that, which is more than they've announced for other platforms in quite some time.

Top Bottom