• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Major Loss, Cancels Games [Up: Funds Rebalancing]

Verendus

Banned
I'm hoping for a FFVS13 release date at E3. March 2012 worldwide release. I believe.

Also, is the 50 million dollars figure really true? Because I said wow. How would that compare to other big budget titles of this generation?

RustyNails said:
Versus is too far in development to be canceled. Cancel FF13-2 instead :p
I support this.

markot

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Is it still free too play (broken) ?
You still have to buy it I think, but there is no sub price... >_<

Cant believe how... bad that game was, and they were actually thinking of rivaling wow. lol.

Vamphuntr said:
Is it still free too play (broken) ?
Yep, still free to play until the PS3 version comes out (lol). At this point maybe Square-Enix should just cut their losses, as painful as it would be. I hope they're doing some serious soul-searching about their future direction. $150 million... ouch.

ezekial45

Banned
RustyNails said:
Versus is too far in development to be canceled. Cancel FF13-2 instead :p

Why would they? They're making use of all the deleted content from FFXIII for the sequel (They said they had to cut a "game's worth" of content from it). Which explains the fairly quick release at the end of the year.

Negator said:
For the love of god don't cancel XIII-2. It's their second chance to make XIII a good game.

I don't think they would cancel that should be easy money with all the assets they going to reuse .
If FFXIII get cancel now that would be funny .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Averon said:
How long does Wada have left?
Wada as a whole has been achieving a lot of financially good things for the company over the past 10 years. He has a lot of capital with investors, especially given the record year they had before this.

I'd be more concerned about the staff at Square Enix Japan releasing titles like The 3rd Birthday and Final Fantasy XIV.

Radogol

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Ok don´t know if Duckroll post are for real or joke posts?

They're real, although I can't believe he actually went and broke the NDA. Regardless, most of these things have been known behind the scenes for quite some time.

ezekial45

Banned
hamchan said:
FFXIV PS3 probably canned as well. They should move on and just forget that game ever existed.

The best thing they can do is just turn it into a F2P game and just move on. It's too late to bring back the subscription fee, given how long it's been without it, and not to mention they still have to improve the overall design of it.

Nirolak said:
erned about the staff at Square Enix Japan releasing titles like The 3rd Birthday and Final Fantasy XIV.

Now this i like more, cancel FF14 for Ps3 and thats it, there goes the $55 million.

EDIT: My mind is getting rape right now, don´t know which post are real and which are irony/joke post, shit..

Radogol said:
They're real, although I can't believe he actually went and broke the NDA. Regardless, most of these things have been known behind the scenes for quite some time.

keep stirrin' that pot

Most likely cancellation that would account for a loss that size would be FFXIV PS3, but we'll know soon enough.

ezekial45 said:
Why would they? They're making use of all the deleted content from FFXIII for the sequel (They said they had to cut a "game's worth" of content from it). Which explains the fairly quick release at the end of the year.
I honestly doubt if they are using the cut stuff from 13 for 13-2. Maybe some set pieces here and there. This is nothing but carrying on the squeenix tradition of milking the FF name to the last drop. Square-enix should've incorporated into a dairy farm by now.

Vamphuntr

RustyNails said:
I honestly doubt if they are using the cut stuff from 13 for 13-2. Maybe some set pieces here and there. This is nothing but carrying on the squeenix tradition of milking the FF name to the last drop. Square-enix should've incorporated into a dairy farm by now.

Bring on the palette swaps. Can't wait to fight red haired Cid in a boat or green haired Vanille disguised as a chocobo.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
I'd be more concerned about the staff at Square Enix Japan releasing titles like The 3rd Birthday and Final Fantasy XIV.

Bu-bu-but...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6325/fixing_final_fantasy_xiv_the_.php

On the other hand, with FFXIV, operations and development are all funded 100 percent by Square Enix, so as long as we decide to continue backing the project and we don't give up, we can continue to provide things to the players, see what they want, then go back and retry things, redo things. Basically, it comes up to us. We're not at the strings of the investors.

Why would they cancel the FF titles which should be HUGE moneymakers? If anything, the side projects will get killed.

FFXIV is going to get canned.

sleepykyo

Might as well cancel PS3 FF14, it isn't like they were going anywhere with it. Also Versus and 13-2 going multi-plat. What shift though.

Nirolak said:
Wada as a whole has been achieving a lot of financially good things for the company over the past 10 years. He has a lot of capital with investors, especially given the record year they had before this.

Yeah but was that record year not because DQ and FF came out the same year.
Wada needs to get his people to make games faster or get more people.
Still i fear for the FFIV team.

sleepykyo said:
Might as well cancel PS3 FF14, it isn't like they were going anywhere with it. Also Versus and 13-2 going multi-plat. What shift though.

XIII -2 was always going to be multi plat and no one should be shock about Versus going multi after FFXIII .

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Father_Brain said:
Getting out the "jump to conclusions" mat?

It is what I do best. But seriously, if a company is looking to pull back budgets and take less risks, investing in new software for a platform with a small market penetration is usually low on the priority list.

markot

Banned
No matter what they do to ff14, its chance is over, it will never get anything more than a minimal base of die hard ffanatics. Its hard enough to release a good mmo and keep people interested, let alone a turd and get people to forget the turdular nature of the beast a year later and give it a fresh chance >.<

Better off funding research into time travel for all the good itll do em...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If FFXIV was canceled, does this mean that all the mainstream FFs wouldn't have an MMO counterpart anymore?

sleepykyo said:

XIII-2 already is multiplat. I really wonder if Versus will go multiplat though.

markot said:
No matter what they do to ff14, its chance is over, it will never get anything more than a minimal base of die hard ffanatics. Its hard enough to release a good mmo and keep people interested, let alone a turd and get people to forget the turdular nature of the beast a year later and give it a fresh chance >.<

Better off funding research into time travel for all the good itll do em...
They should've closed the FF14 shop a long time ago and apologized for wasting everyone's time. In business, you never throw good money after bad.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Takao

Banned
Hmm, because of these loses their stock will be taking a beating, no?

I wonder if Sony feels that 8% isn't enough... Good way to ensure immense success for god handheld ngp, and rebirth of kutaragi's cry ps3.

Top Bottom