• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Major Loss, Cancels Games [Up: Funds Rebalancing]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Takao said:
Hmm, because of these loses their stock will be taking a beating, no?

I wonder if Sony feels that 8% isn't enough...
Sony should probably sell their shares and run for the hills. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hamchan said:
FFXIV PS3 probably canned as well. They should move on and just forget that game ever existed.

Just as they did with The Last Remnant PS3.

Squeenix's internal output this generation has been absurdly poor with games being mediocre and taking far too long.

Ravidrath

RustyNails said:
They should've closed the FF14 shop a long time ago and apologized for wasting everyone's time. In business, you never throw good money after bad.

FFXI was BY FAR the most successful product Square has ever made.

It's going to be impossible for them to achieve the same level of success, but I actually don't think it's unrealistic for them to get it to make it operationally profitable and start working off some of their losses. Japan just doesn't have the same selection of MMOs or any other serious contenders, so in some regards it's just a captive audience.

And the PS3 port is likely already done, and possibly a good source of transient players. It'd be a mistake to manufacture discs, though - they should really just release it only on PSN so they don't sink money into inventory.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markot said:
God no >_< they might buy em or something...
Hey, when they bought Eidos, their quality went through the roof.

It's the staff they hired themselves that's proving more problematic.

Jerk said:
I mean to pick up K&L2 eventually. Was it that bad?
It had a nice sense of style.

...and that's the only positive thing I can bring myself to say about the game.

wonderfuldays said:
How could they loss so much money? They didn't involve movie business these days don't they.
Mindjack, 3rd Birthday, FFXIV and the likely cancellation of the PS3 version at this point

Reallink

Ravidrath said:
FFXI was BY FAR the most successful product Square has ever made.

It's going to be impossible for them to achieve the same level of success, but I actually don't think it's unrealistic for them to get it to make it operationally profitable and start working off some of their losses. Japan just doesn't have the same selection of MMOs, so in some regards it's a captive audience.

XIV probably cost 30-40+ million in development and infrastructure alone. Coupled with the revenue loss of 8 months of 1 million+ subscription fees and 1 million+ PS3 sales (which I'm sure their earnings forecast included), it can almost single handedly account for this entire loss.

Ravidrath

Regulus Tera said:
FFXIV to blame?

A friend working on Project Dropship at the LA Studio seemed to imply that XIV was the main culprit for his layoff, but that there were plenty of other smaller failures.

For example, apparently they somehow expected sales from Mindjack? They had started another FPS project at AQ Interactive, too, but cancelled that, as well.

Verendus

Banned
Nirolak said:
That's really good. I'll believe they're capable of it when it happens though.

I first saw FFVS13 when I was 16. It's insane how long it's been when I think about it. I'm not sure why they showed that game so early. I bet they didn't even start working on it properly until recently. I can't honestly believe they've been developing it that long.

Bel Marduk said:
XIII-2 already is multiplat. I really wonder if Versus will go multiplat though.
I think it should. It provides the game to a larger audience and increases chances of sales. Seems like the smart business decision. If I remember right, didn't the 360 version of FFXIII sell something like 1.5 million copies? Add that to the PS3's 4.1 million or something, and the overall number looks a lot better than it would on the PS3 alone. I doubt PS3 sales were affected in any way by that happening. It just puts the product in more hands which helps the developer.

How much does being an exclusive really help? If it strikes hot, it strikes hot, and I can understand the huge benefit in that, but multi-platform just seems like the safe and smarter choice to me.

Then again, I don't really keep up with sales-age so take my opinion lightly.

pirata

What the hell is SE doing? Are they just burning piles of money Dark Knight-style? They pour vast amounts of time, money, and manpower into games that end up ranging from mediocre to downright bad! What happened?

Oh, and what's this about the 3rd Birthday? Did it turn out badly? Did it bomba?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
NO.............

Why not? It's obvious that there's no set "standard" as to what a Final Fantasy mainline title is anymore. Might as well take this huge project that has obviously siphoned a lot of development resources and maximise its appeal potential.

Regulus Tera said:
Wouldn't it be wiser to rebrand FFVersusXIII as FFXV instead of cancelling it?

Versus won't get cancel but if they do i wonder if they would have to pay Sony .
As for renaming it i don't think it really going to matter .

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Ravidrath said:
And the PS3 port is likely already done, and possibly a good source of transient players. It'd be a mistake to manufacture discs, though - they should really just release it only on PSN so they don't sink money into inventory.

Yeah, I think I remember something called PSN. Hmm...

gundamkyoukai said:
Versus won't get cancel but if they do i wonder if they would have to pay Sony .

I don't think it will get canned. Square should consolidate and put games on the back-burner. Lay off some folks, merge teams etc.

Cipherr

So, I mean, whats the grade thusfar for this gen. In terms of these gaming companies being able to find financial success.... Looking back over the years, this shit looks BAD.

Dear Square Enix,

Make good games. You haven't done so for a long, long time so the future is not looking bright but try your best. K thx bye.

synth_floyd

Ravidrath

They're not going to cancel Versus XIII - that and Type Zero are the only things Japan has announced that're going to make a profit right now.

It'll likely just be rebranded as Final Fantasy HAIRGEL FANTASIA or something.

The funny thing is I don't think FFXIV had cost Squenix all that much really. The game was shipped with quite literally no content at all and it shared engine development costs with FFXIII.

They really should cancel FFXIII-2. Nobody wants that shit. Nobody.

Regulus Tera said:
Why not? It's obvious that there's no set "standard" as to what a Final Fantasy mainline title is anymore. Might as well take this huge project that has obviously siphoned a lot of development resources and maximise its appeal potential.

Yeah but that will mean that FFXIII-2 has to be released before FFXV so that people wont get even more confused, so thats why i said no.

Jerk

Banned
Nirolak said:
Well, what do you think the odds are of Dungeon Siege III selling well?

That game will determine it.

Well I already plan to buy a new copy. Not much more I can do...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The likelihood of big FF games being cancelled is:

FFXIV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FFXIII-2 > FFvsXIII

But it will probably be none of them.

harriet the spy said:
And to think of all the money they could have made with even the shitiest remake of FFVII.
But no, HD towns is hard.

that would be a trump card on the whole situation.

cancel everything > pour money into FFVII Remake > get disgustingly rich > get complacent again

Fredescu

Nirolak said:
Well, what do you think the odds are of Dungeon Siege III selling well?
I am pretty bad at guessing these things, but I see very little hype for it around the traps and we're only a month out. I guess it depends what their expectations for it are.

Verendus

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The funny thing is I don't think FFXIV had cost Squenix all that much really. The game was shipped with quite literally no content at all and it shared engine development costs with FFXIII.

They really should cancel FFXIII-2. Nobody wants that shit. Nobody.
There are some people who want it, if I can call them people. I don't know what they are. I've seen them around. Watching. Waiting.

Top Bottom