• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AA, AAA, and AAAA???

Big One

Banned
What the fuck does this even mean anymore? Sometimes I refer to people using AA for anti-aliasing, which makes sense. Then you get the people using this type of terminology to simply games they like.

The general definition seems to be related to games of high budget, high production values, and sometimes of even high quality. People will label Western games like CoD as AAA games, which fits the requirement of being high budget and high production values, but then the same people will say the same about the average Nintendo title which really doesn't encompass either (at least compared to the average blockbuster title).

This is possibly one of the most overused terms of all time, but I'm confused on what the real meaning of it is. People seem to exclusively relate it to production values and budget, but how exactly does that make it a quality game enough to be dubbed "AAA" or "AAAA"? I feel like people think that production values are synonymous with high quality gaming when they use terms like this.

If you use it, what does it mean to you? It seems to be different for every person in usage, and I'd like to understand why it has caught on over the years. The first time I've ever seen it was in gaming magazines at the beginning of the current generation of gaming.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It depends on context, like "core" or "hardcore" or "casual" or "social".

It includes:
- High quality games
- High budget games
- Games by particular auteurs
- Games by particular studios
- Games with Hollywood blockbuster style cinematic presentation
- Games that sell a ton

Individual games can have one or more of these criteria.

I don't think there's anything wrong with words having contextual meanings.

LiK

Stumpokapow said:

It includes:
- High quality games
- High budget games
- Games that sell a ton

/thread

It's not formally defined anywhere, but "AAA Games" refer to big budget, high profile games. Assassin's Creed 1 was an AAA game even though it sucked big time, but Vanquish is not an AAA because it was sort of obscure and not marketed very widely. Uncharted, Halo, Gears, Mario, Zelda, Gran Turismo etc are AAA franchises.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Alcoholics Anonymous, American Automobile Association, American Association of Advertising Agencies.

You're welcome.

But as far as actual terminology goes: AA and AAAA are useless, made up terms (insofar as referring to the quality of something). There is at least some history and meaning behind the term AAA.

As far as I can tell, AAAA was just made up by the OP in that thread on game prices.

AAA is still AAA. Top tier games that have crazy marketing and are expected to be hallmarks of the season. Even if you don't like the games, think: GTAIV, Gears of War, CoD, Oblivion, and so on.

AA still means anti-aliasing in graphics discussion, but can also mean a lower tier of games that may still be great games but are definitely down on the hype wagon. These days, I'd put something like Battlefield on this list -- great game, perhaps better than the CoD game, but the real shit storm goes around CoD when that's released. But other games like Motorstorm, Burnout, Need For Speed, fall into this category. Good games, well marketed, but not expected to carry a company through a season.

A. I don't even know anymore. This is a letter in the alphabet.

Note: if AAAA catches on, at least you can say that you were there when it was invented by the OP. 7/18/2011. Nevar forget :(

Stumpokapow said:

It includes:
- High quality games
- High budget games
- Games that sell a ton

First reply, thank you!

Myriadis

daviyoung said:
AAAA = stays full price in stores until its successor arrives
This is the first time I hear about this.

Personally,I can't even remember that I used such a term.I have great,good or bad for something like this.

Samus4145

AA to me is Anti-Aliasing while AAA is a top quality title. Never heard of anyone using "AA" to rate a game or this AAAA.

daviyoung

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I honestly can't think of a single game that has High Production Values but isn't a High Quality gaming experience.

That's subjective, but Heavy Rain and LA Noire are close to the edge.

beast786

Stumpokapow said:

It includes:
- High quality games
- High budget games
- Games that sell a ton

AAAAAA
h
... I see your point.

Rolf NB

AAAA is a game that is both S++ and next-gen.
*chuckles*
I honestly can't think of a single game that has High Production Values but isn't a High Quality gaming experience.
Oh I can. Maybe you're a modern graphics whore.

The reason "AAA" is used is because it's recognized shorthand for "top-tier". The term is borrowed from the ranking system for credit ratings, and is often used when referring to anything that is considered the "best of the best". Or usually, in video games, the biggest releases.

There is no such thing as being rated "AAAA". It's not a term used by anyone for anything. That was made up by that guy in that other thread.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The whole AA, AAA, whatever "rating" gamers give to games is one of the dumbest things about the industry.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I can think of hundreds if you don't like dudebro murder games, most of which are called "AAA" by the people who make them.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm just gonna start rating games like Ebay user feedback.

AAA+++ game. Will buy again next year.

AAA is the equivalent of a Summer Blockbuster. A game that the developer went all out on the budget expecting it to sell millions of copies.

See:
Arkham City
Skyrim
Mortal Kombat
Portal 2
Uncharted 3
Modern Warfare 3
Gears of War 3
Battlefield 3

Big One

Banned
Samus4145 said:
AA to me is Anti-Aliasing while AAA is a top quality title. Never heard of anyone using "AA" to rate a game or this AAAA.
There's another thread actually just recently posted where OP used AAAA to describe high quality gaming experiences

I've seen it even before that too.

And yeah I've seen AA used to describe high quality titles even though it's meant to be the acronym for anti-aliasing.

I just don't understand this trend of adding A's to emphasize quality. One A is enough for a grade.

Degen

The joke is that there's neither a procedure nor a point to any of it

you use the amount of letters that you feel like using that day

Samus4145

Neuromancer said:
I've honestly never heard anyone refer to a game as "AAAA" before this thread.

Same here, but I've now seen it 2 more threads. Stupidest thing ever. So is AAAAA games that don't drop price even after sequel?

Meier

I'd never seen AAAA used until that other $60 versus $50 thread and that was either a typo or just the dude being "dramatic" and stressing the fact its a high quality title. Not a distinction you'd see elsewhere. AAA is pretty goofy but it's at least understood.

enzo_gt said:
Traditionally, scoring wise:

AA - 8 to 9
AAA - 9 to 10
AAAA - 10/10
No.
I'm going to ignore anyone using that term.
As should everyone who wants to keep their sanity.

Degen said:
guess a 7/10 is an A-ranked title then
no that would be A+
(A+ was what you'd see get used in gaming magazines in the 90s to describe -GENUINE- cream of the crop stuff)

So A games are 6/10 games according to PR monkeys.

amdnv

enzo_gt said:
Traditionally, scoring wise:

AA - 8 to 9
AAA - 9 to 10
AAAA - 10/10
Yup. AAA exclusives are usually guaranteed scores around 90%. What's the last AAA console exclusive with a Metacritic of less than 80%?

Jarmel

Banned
What is this shit?

There is only AAA and that refers to the top tier of games.

AA just means anti-aliasing.

http://www.gameproducer.net/2006/05/26/what-are-aaa-titles/

The below post might be a reason from where the term originated from.

" could be wrong, but I have a feeling it originated from the business and investment world...and the reason we've seen the term used so much in the gaming industry in recent years is due to the industry becoming more corporate focused and market driven.

The mentality of gamers has also become more corporate and market driven. I mean, a decade ago I don't remember gamers being so obsessed with sales, all that mattered was good games...but these days, with how gamers post monthly sales data, you'd think they had their entire stock portfolio invested in a company. Not to mention, the whole point of System Wars and the idea of a "fanboy" is blind loyalty to one company's brand name, regardless of the quality they or their competitors put out.

Bonds get credit ratings like AAA, BBB, CCC...with AAA being the best investment. As for games, outside of forums, I first heard it used in the professional sense from financial analysts (guys like Pachter) to describe a big budget title that looked to be a good financial investment for a company and it's investors and could raise a company's stock, probably due to it being used to describe a game that has a high market awareness giving it a higher probability to be highly financially successful.

Especially since I've seen it applied to games that didn't neccessarily get the highest reviews, but were titles that had very high budget and marketing that were financial hits...games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy XIII and Saint's Row have been described as being "AAA", even though that didn't necessarily get very high review aggregate. In reverse, I've never really seen the term "AAA" applied to indie titles, despite some getting very high aggregate review scores, even above big budget titles that have been labeled as "AAA".

I don't really put much weight behind those terms....especially since most of the terms popping up on gaming forums these days don't seem to make any real sense and are all over the map in terms of their definition (ie "console exclusive" or "AAA") and don't really seem to have a universally concrete one. Take the term "console exclusive", you'd think it would mean a game that's only available to console platforms, but it's been used to describe a game that is on one company's console platform and not it's competitors, despite the same game being easily available on platforms outside of console, which get ignored some some reason."

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28633573

Top Bottom