• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AA, AAA, and AAAA???

amdnv

The high ratings for expensive games are especially estranging when looking at the film industry. Big budget movies frequently get horrible critics ratings. In the games industry this is extremely rare.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
amdnv said:
Yup. AAA exclusives are usually guaranteed scores around 90%. What's the last AAA exclusive with a Metacritic of less than 80%?

I've already shared my thoughts on the value of having contextual definitions for AAA, so here I will use AAA to mean "major quarterly or annual release by publisher" + "extremely high budget" without reference to genre, complexity, or theme.

Fable III got exactly an 80, a 75 for the PC release. Too Human got a 65--although it's hard to say if you would consider the final product to have high budget production values so much as it was an expensive game to make due to its development length. Lair got a 53--although Sony bailed on the game around release, undermining its ability to be AAA by virtue of publisher importance. Haze got a 55--although Ubisoft kind of bailed on the game just before release, undermining the game's ability to be AAA by virtue of publisher importance.

Most recently Duke Nukem Forever (not exclusive, so this is not a reply to you in specific) got a 45-50 Metacritic and similar user reception although it meets some of the definitions of a AAA game (significant PR, major release for publisher, extremely high budget, parts had very high production values for when it was made, from two high-pedigree teams and overseen by high-pedigree directors).

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Isn't this just the hardcore/casual conversation or the next gen/current gen debate all over again?

The words don't have strict definitions; they're shorthand for some abstract set of concepts. People don't actually cut up games into 'AA', 'AAA', or 'AAAA' games. In general, 'AAA' just means 'big buget, tentpole games.' You can get into a pissing match about what games are or are not 'AAA', just like you can fight about whether the Wii is 'next gen' or whether you consider your friend who plays 'real games' but only for 2 hours a week a 'hardcore gamer.' Splitting hairs doesn't get anyone anywhere; when I say "'AAA' games are creatively bankrupt due to exceedingly large budgets" or "You'll never see the amount of experimentation an indie developer can do in a AAA game" you know what I mean.

Coming up with arbitrary 'tiers' of A-ness is just silly.

NinjaBoiX

What the fuck OP?
Firstly, nobody uses "AAAA", you just made that up to add gravity to your argument.
Secondly, "AAA" just refers to high-profile, big budget games.
Thirdly, "AA" as an abbreviation of anti-aliasing.

So, what was your point again?

vareon

I always believed that AAA is related to budget/production value thingy than being an indicator of quality. There are many AAA games that suck.

Never heard of AAAA.

randomkid

Stumpokapow said:
It depends on context, like "core" or "hardcore" or "casual" or "social".

It includes:
- High quality games
- High budget games
- Games by particular auteurs
- Games by particular studios
- Games with Hollywood blockbuster style cinematic presentation
- Games that sell a ton

Individual games can have one or more of these criteria.

I don't think there's anything wrong with words having contextual meanings.

Heh, never even knew about definitions 3 and 4, that just muddles things even further. I guess I feel that on message boards and in most of the enthusiast press it's difficult to determine the context, since people don't usually elaborate. This impedes good discussion since the correlations between all of these definitions is probably like .2 at best.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
AAA = marketing bullshit.

It's akin to saying "it's a tier 1 SKU." At my job I sometimes make up new marketing lingo like "apex product" just to see if it sticks.

Enosh

Jarmel said:
The mentality of gamers has also become more corporate and market driven. I mean, a decade ago I don't remember gamers being so obsessed with sales, all that mattered was good games...but these days, with how gamers post monthly sales data, you'd think they had their entire stock portfolio invested in a company. Not to mention, the whole point of System Wars and the idea of a "fanboy" is blind loyalty to one company's brand name, regardless of the quality they or their competitors put out.
the chances of a game someone realy likes getting a sequel depends on the sales of that game, so some coruosity about sales is to be expected

and it's not just gaming, the OT has weekly movie box office threads and there is a lot of discussion about ratings for TV shows

amdnv

Stumpokapow said:
Most recently Duke Nukem Forever (not exclusive, so this is not a reply to you in specific) got a 45-50 Metacritic and similar user reception
Duke Nukem Forever is a good example (even though it's not exclusive). It's a rare case of "bad" ratings for a very high profile game. Its Metascores are 49, 53 and 54.

Within 5 seconds I can come up with three big budget movies that have considerably worse scores. Scores that don't seem to happen for big budget games. Game ratings are horribly, horribly, horribly inflated.
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen = Metascore 35
Batman & Robin = Metascore 28
Battlefield Earth = Metascore 9

zlatko

Banned
daviyoung said:
AAAA = stays full price in stores until its successor arrives

Shit then CoD4 was AAAAA since that game took forever to come down in price. Damn thing is still $20.00+ everywhere. Truly the most ridiculous game of all time in that regard.

faridmon

Dedication Through Light said:
I honestly can't think of a single game that has High Production Values but isn't a High Quality gaming experience.
What? I can think more high production games with flaws than without one.

For example: Assassins Creeed

SykoTech

Didn't even know AA and AAAA were real terms. AAA however simply refers to a blockbuster-like game that excites a lot of hardcore gamers. Not exactly rocket science or a term needing a super-strict definition.

jcm

vareon said:
I always believed that AAA is related to budget/production value thingy than being an indicator of quality. There are many AAA games that suck.

Never heard of AAAA.

Yes, this. AAA games are the equivalent of Hollywood blockbusters. Some are good, some aren't. It's strictly a description of a large development and marketing budget. I like Persona 3 and 4 better than any other games this gen, and they are in no way, shape or form AAA games.

randomkid

SykoTech said:
Didn't even know AA and AAAA were real terms. AAA however simply refers to a blockbuster-like game that excites a lot of hardcore gamers. Not exactly rocket science or a term needing a super-strict definition.

Yeah that's my working definition when I see the term on GAF, but as you can see other people have vastly different ideas. I guess you can look at it as a continuum like Stump but I think it's still pretty confusing if the majority don't agree on the criteria.

vareon said:

Never heard of AAAA.

This is my feeling on it. If I use the term at all I use it to mean a big budget, high profile release. I never liked the use of AAA to mean "game I think is really good."

Derrick01

Banned
AAA to me is something used to describe one or more qualities on a game.

-big or relatively big budget
-big hype
-big quality

Not all AAA games hit all of those things. Deus Ex HR for example doesn't have a lot of press hype and I'm not sure how expensive it was, but from the leaked build it has definitely hit the big quality mark. It has a shot at winning some goty awards and really surprising some people, kind of like how Arkham Asylum kind of snuck up on people in 09.

Also Witcher 2 only cost around $10 million, which in this time is extremely low for a game of that quality. But it was still considered AAA.

AAA has nothing to do with quality. The analogy doesn't even work, because surely it would follow that if you wanted to denote something as being of higher than A quality you would refer to it as A+.

Die Squirrel Die said:
AAA has nothing to do with quality. The analogy doesn't even work, because surely it would follow that if you wanted to denote something as being of higher than A quality you would refer to it as A+.
AAA or "Triple-A" is either a term that comes from finance or baseball... in finance, AAA is the highest bond rating available which means it carries practically no risk. In baseball a Triple-A team is a minor league team that is so good it's considered pro-level and ready for major league (if not a team made up of major league players simply taking a break from the big-show). It's not a grade like in school.

I think it can be applied to games pretty naturally. It just means really high quality.

Gustav

Banned
True answer:

Each quarter stores get recommendations by suppliers on how much copies of a certain game they should stock. Those recommendations are AAA, AA, A, B, C, D if I recall correctly. AAA refers to the games that will have very, very strong consumer demand and thus should be ordered and stocked in high quantities with the following recommendations meaning less probable consumer demand respectively.

From a developer standpoint:

AA - average e-penis

AAA - epic e-penis.

From an hardcore gamer standpoint:

AA - game worth of full launch price. 10 Karisma points for complaining on message boards about how a sequel could improve without even knowing anything about game development and marketing.

AAA - Its ok to scratch your social life and to gather up to 10 stinky pizza boxes in the fathers basement in order to play such a game 24/7. It's also ok to spend up to 100€ on monthly fee/DLC, but not definitely on dental care for that rotten tooth, because that's too expensive.

From the casual Joe-gamer standpoint:

room-full-of-people-who-care-31548-1265753690-30.jpg

faridmon said:
What? I can think more high production games with flaws than without one.

For example: Assassins Creed

I dont think high production games that are always high quality gaming experiences doesnt imply a game is without flaws. AC has always had high production values and was a definitive game of the genre.

I guess Im confused on how something can be high production but not a high quality gaming experience. It reminds me of the games with great visuals but being bad games issue.

Dedication Through Light said:
I honestly can't think of a single game that has High Production Values but isn't a High Quality gaming experience.
Haze?

Duke Nukem Forever?

Final Fantasy XIII?

You seriously can't think of a single one?

Sennorin

Banned
Usually, when people call certain games "AAA", it only means that this is a cinematic game that is completely boring in terms of gameplay but features shiny, nice looking graphics.

At least that is what my experience with that term has been.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When publishers talk about AA and AAA they are usually referring to how big the budget is.

When the media says it, it tends to refer to the list stump made since the media doesn't really understand game production.

Gustav

Banned
Nirolak said:
When publishers talk about AA and AAA they are usually referring to how big the budget is.

That is wrong. AA and AAA indicates how many quantities resellers should stock based on sales potential/predictions, with AAA being the top tier (games you should stock in large quantities).

AAA is any game being backed by a major publisher, regardless of it's quality or quantity sold. It's just a buzz word. If you look at many studio's their applications ask for previous work on an AAA game.

Gustav

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
AAA is any game being backed by a major publisher, regardless of it's quality or quantity sold.

It's based on projected sales and it's a recommendation for resellers how they should stock.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gustav said:
That is wrong. AA and AAA indicates how many quantities resellers should stock based on sales potential/predictions, with AAA being the top tier (games you should stock in large quantities).
Those two are intrinsically linked though, no?

I mean, the more you intend to sell, the more you're willing to spend.

Top Bottom