• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the greatest 'first reply' you've ever seen on these boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to write a classic first reply.

You know the score: someone writes a really long new thread, and the first response they get is short, witty, and hilarious. Sometimes it's a pun, sometimes a sentence, sometimes a picture. What never changes is that it is utterly perfect.

Great comedy is all about timing, and perhaps the reason they're so effective is that these are one of the few moments on a forum where you can really use timing to your advantage. It inevitably sets in motion the standard two-pronged approach to Neogaf threads: one half of the forum makes jokes, whilst the other half write angry essays and argue with anyone they can find.

A few months ago, this inner drive to get the perfect first reply almost led to my downfall. You see, I cheated. Someone had just made a thread about Madonna, and I, in my madness, couldn't think of anything on the spot. I was desperate, I was frantic, and due to the fear that someone else would steal my position as the first responder, I replied with a quick 'placeholder' post, which would give me time to think of a funny response and then edit it into my original post. Sadly, my plan failed as people realised I'd edited my post, and mods were informed, a meeting took place and I was banned for a week. It was the most humble week of my life.

The closest I ever came to nailing it was with this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430778 , but I still think I can do better. I want a write a first reply which is so funny, so incredibly perfect that people are still quoting it 5 pages in, even 10 pages into the thread.

SO GAF: What are the best first responses you've ever seen? Here's a classic to get you started, although sadly it'll only make sense to those who were there at the time:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369009

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433787

borSJ.gif

Teh Hamburglar said:
Thats wonderful. Your mother must be very proud of you!

Mate. At the time of writing, this thread has had 15 replies and 16 views. Seeing as the first view was my original one, that means every single man, woman or child who has entered this thread has felt compelled to reply. In some ways, you might say that my thread has become the beating heart of Neogaf.

Your Excellency said:
Mate. At the time of writing, this thread has had 15 replies and 16 views. Seeing as the first view was my original one, that means every single man, woman or child who has entered this thread has felt compelled to reply. In some ways, you might say that my thread has become the beating heart of Neogaf.

what you say may be true, but haven't you ever noticed the views on new threads are always -1 compared to the replies? It might just be me, but I always see a number of threads on the first page alone that do this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BlackSalad said:
what you say may be true, but haven't you ever noticed the views on new threads are always -1 compared to the replies? It might just be me, but I always see a number of threads on the first page alone that do this.

Not always, but, yes, your underlying point is true - it is common.

Ydahs

Your Excellency said:
Thread views get updated at certain time intervals. New thread view counts get set to amount of posts in the thread until the first update. I'm so sorry :(

JaseC said:
Not always, but, yes, your underlying point is true - it is common.

at least i'm not the only one, but in the process of figuring this out I proved his point by being compelled to post. redeemed i suppose

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Your Excellency said:
This thread has had loads of responses within seconds of it being posted up and I therefore declare it a great success.

I never really noticed you before, but you are a terrible poster. The amount of self-fellation in this post is suffocating.

Your Excellency said:
qft

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Your Excellency said:
your trolling is way too obvious. you need to be more subtle.

edit: although some people seem to be taking the bait. carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom