• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any modern day vs fighter that keeps it technical simple?

FoxSpirit

Yeah, sometimes I would love to get back into fighting games a bit. But modern, not retro.
But games no seem like 25 button inputs->do 25% damage. What happened to the old school of Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown?

Even Arcana Heart which supposedly plays rather easy uses huge combos? BlazBlue uses so many specific combos it's crazy and playing SFIV without FADC is just handicapping yourself to hell. *feels finger knot*

I know I could always stick to the slow grapplers but there must be a modern game that fits my old school needs as a whole. Is it?

Teppic

I'd like something like this to. Shorter combos for various special attacks are fine with me, just not anything like 10 button combos. BlazBlue had some shortcuts for special attacks you could use, but I'm not sure if all special attacks could be used that way.

Super Smash Bros Brawl isn't really a traditional fighting game, but it uses a simple system for it's special attacks.

I'd love to read some recommendations, too, and for the same reasons as the modern fighter is still infatuated with big numbers needed to KO someone. Still want a new game in the vein of Karate Champ.

EYEL1NER

Battle Fantasia felt pretty simple to me. At least compared to Blaz Blue and Guilty Gear.
Didn't really put too much time into it though.

Street Fighter 4 is rather straighforward. Tekken and Mortal Kombat too, the combo's in them are not screen filling 90 hit stuff like in Marvel vs Capcom or other more anime-ish fighting games :D

Ellis Kim

Banned
Smash Bros? Intuitive and to the point. I look forward to the next Smash for some portable smash goodness (which took damn long enough).

Other than that... I dunno. I kind of want to suggest the surprising library of PSP fighters that are on PSN, which include but are not limited to:

BlazBlue (the first two)
Darkstalkers collection thingy
Powerstone collection
Dissidia and Dissidia Duodecim
Soul Calibur
that Fate/Stay fighter
Tekken

and a few others I can't think of.

I like to think that Soul Calibur can stay pretty casual without getting overly button combo-y unless you start getting into high-level play with the whole riposte and counter thing.

Grokbu

Try the SF4 series. Combos can be pretty hard in that though, but you can manage without knowing the hard stuff, like combos with multiple 1-frame links pretty good, at low level at least (probably at a bit higher level too, but I wouldn't know).
Combos in the SF4 series aren't really long either in general.

You could try 3S too.

As you get better, I do imagine you'll want to try the harder combos though.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the games are technically simple though, just that combos aren't that long in general.

troushers

I am under the impression that Tsetsuwtf vs Capcom on the Wii is basically what you're looking for. I've not played it yet, though so add a pinch of salt.

Mupod

MVC3 is easier than it looks. I have old man reflexes and I can easily pull off impressive combos reliably, even online because of how forgiving it is with inputs. Yeah there are links and technical stuff like fly/airdash combos but I stick to easier characters like taskmaster/hulk and do fine.

My friend looks at it and says things like 'wow that guy just did a huge combo and knocked him up in the air and cycled through his whole team and smashed him back to the ground, that must be impossible'. But it's about as hard as going 1 2 3 4 on your keyboard a few times.

I do really want a new Garou though. KOF13 seems alright.

dwu8991

Banned
SSF4 is over the top and not as fun as the vanilla. Super is more for the dedicated sf player with lots of time to practice.

tsab

Dead or Alive
Dimensions
One Punch button. one Kick button, one Guard/Counter button

Mortal Kombat maybe.
Uppercut,Swipe,Uppercut,Scorpion Teleport,Sub Zero Ice beam,Uppercut etc

I am not a tourneygaffer or practice but I am having a blast with both of them
lol am I a casual?

EDIT:
I don't play online only local matches

I was under the impression that modern fighters were less technical than the old school?

Only thing I can suggest to OP is pseudo-fighters like smash, UFC, Def Jam etc..

EYEL1NER said:
Battle Fantasia.......*snip*

Yeah, this game seemed as basic as you can get.

CPS2

Noisepurge said:
Street Fighter 4 is rather straighforward. Tekken and Mortal Kombat too, the combo's in them are not screen filling 90 hit stuff like in Marvel vs Capcom or other more anime-ish fighting games :D

MvC3 is pretty easy to get into as well tho. Everyone has a launcher into MMHS, pick an otg assist, do a hyper combo or another MMHS. If there was no complexity it'd just come down to guessing or footsies, but every fighter has some guessing and footsies, you just then need a way to do damage, and MvC3 has pretty easy ways to do that. I think the easy answer is either MvC3 or SSF4.

Input wise Marvel 3 is pretty easy unless you use Dante/Viper/Felicia but even they aren't all that hard to use.

For reference I can't play Viper for flap in SF4 but manage just fine in Marvel.

ScOULaris

Yeah, fighting games are already streamlined and simplified compared to how they used to be. SF4, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur IV, and even the new Mortal Kombat are all pretty much what you're describing. Not to mention the somewhat modern usage of damage scaling makes long combos pointless in most of those games.

BlazBlue is a different animal, though.

zoukka

ScOULaris said:
Yeah, fighting games are already streamlined and simplified compared to how they used to be. SF4, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur IV, and even the new Mortal Kombat are all pretty much what you're describing. Not to mention the somewhat modern usage of damage scaling makes long combos pointless in most of those games.

Tekken 6 is the most complex Tekken ever and the matches often end in two combos.

fight night champion. no absurd combos, simple analog controls

FightNightChampion2_med.jpg

Grokbu

ScOULaris said:
I guess it depends on character and game, but damage scaling doesn't make long combos useless. You often times still get more damage, it may be harder, mentally, for your opponent if you decide to go for resets, you gain more super meter and, depending on the game, you can get more stun.

EDIT: And I would absolutely not say that fighting games nowadays are simplified.

Ellis Kim

Banned
slick7rick said:
fight night champion. no absurd combos, simple analog controls

FightNightChampion2_med.jpg
I found the demo surprisingly difficult to wrap my head around, especially with the stamina stuff. Does the singleplayer do a really good job with explaining the rules of the game?

CPS2

Grokbu said:
EDIT: And I would absolutely not say that fighting games nowadays are simplified.

They are in many ways tho. SF4 has a 5 frame reversal window as opposed to the usual 1-2f, the auto-correct window is much bigger, even the cancel window is much bigger (all of startup+hitstop). And MvC3 works so differently to other games in the same series, with untechable otg's, easy relaunches without having to worry about flying screen or FSD, easy normal xx special xx super and whiffed normals xx super, it feels a lot more simple and lenient than older games in that series.

It's still pretty hard to keep up because people discover everything and share info so much faster now, but there's definitely a trend to make the basics more lenient and accessible.

Battle Fantasia is Street Fighter II with short combos instead of chains and an easy parry system.

DOA is very easy to play and very flashy.

Soul Calibur is also very easy to figure out.

yeah you get adjusted to the controls after a few fights. the left stick is your boxer's movement. you can punch with the face buttons, but you can do much more with the right analog stick. basically, you can flick it a certain way to the right, and your boxer would throw a right handed punch. flick it a certain way to the left, and he would punch with his left hand. very intuitive after a while.

basically you need to block whenever you're not swinging, and that replenishes your stamina. if you swing and miss, you lose a lot of stamina. but if your punches connect, you won't lose as much and you can keep hitting for a nice little combo.

edit: in reply to Ellis Kim
took a while for me to type that with my iphone haha..

Grokbu

CPS2 said:
They are in many ways tho. SF4 has a 5 frame reversal window as opposed to the usual 1-2f, the auto-correct window is much bigger, even the cancel window is much bigger (all of startup+hitstop). And MvC3 works so differently to other games in the same series, with untechable otg's, easy relaunches without having to worry about flying screen or FSD, easy normal xx special xx super and whiffed normals xx super, it feels a lot more simple and lenient than older games in that series.

It's still pretty hard to keep up because people discover everything and share info so much faster now, but there's definitely a trend to make the basics more lenient and accessible.
Well, I guess you are right in that regard. Cancel windows, for example, have tended to get bigger in a lot of series.

But in general, I don't really feel that 2D fighters (I'm not really into 3D fighters) have gotten simpler. Maybe those two series have, though, but I'm not that serious into them, so I wouldn't really know.

EDIT: Kinda stupid of me to say these things though, since I don't really play much old fighters outside 3S and KOF 2002 (and a little bit of MoTW). Sorry. :<

Coxy

definitely try Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown and Soul Calibur 5 when they come out, while there's a huge amount of technical depth to them you wont need to be stringing 100 hit combos together or anything and fighting tactically means more
next time you play BlazBlue try hakumen too, he isnt quite a grappler type but does have immensely powerful hits

FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, sometimes I would love to get back into fighting games a bit. But modern, not retro.
But games no seem like 25 button inputs->do 25% damage. What happened to the old school of Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown?

Even Arcana Heart which supposedly plays rather easy uses huge combos? BlazBlue uses so many specific combos it's crazy and playing SFIV without FADC is just handicapping yourself to hell. *feels finger knot*

I know I could always stick to the slow grapplers but there must be a modern game that fits my old school needs as a whole. Is it?

I'm going to go with no.

Fighting games are back on the precipice of bullet hell levels disconnect with casual audiences.

Too many require garbage inputs (FADC in SF4 is just unpleasant) or high levels of execution (BB/MvC3).

As much as I enjoyed fighting games in the past; modern fighting games are stuck in a place where players need to study frame data, practice inconvenient inputs, and write of characters that are not viable by design.

Things were better in the olden days. :|

Grokbu

The Take Out Bandit said:
As much as I enjoyed fighting games in the past; modern fighting games are stuck in a place where players need to study frame data, practice inconvenient inputs, and write of characters that are not viable by design.

Things were better in the olden days. :|
I don't see why these things would be any less needed back in the day?

Alx

They've all been mentioned already, but I approve with those :

Dead or Alive : maybe the best there is in the "I don't want to bother with a movelist" games. Not that the movelist is bad or useless, but it's the only game I know where all characters are fun and easy to get into. You can have fun and do great fights only knowing the basics. It's too bad the boss in DOA4 is so annoying, otherwise it would be perfect.

Soulcalibur : somewhat similar, but with combos slightly more important (especially for fast spamming characters). Still rather good, but the episodes are still not as good as the original Soulcalibur 1 (can't say for Soul Edge).

Virtua Fighter : although it has a reputation of "ultra hardcore hard to learn game", it's rather easy to have nice fights without mastering combos and complex mechanics. It's still there though, and some characters may get annoying because of that (for some reason Lei Fei always gives me some trouble), but it's still a nice "old school" fighter with terrific fights.

Grokbu said:
I don't see why these things would be any less needed back in the day?

They weren't less needed back in the day, the game design was simpler; so there wasn't the insane focus on it as there is today.

It went from Rock / Paper / Scissors to Rock / Pebble / Cardboard / Paper / Construction Paper / X-acto Knife / Straight Razor / Scissor / Safety Scissors.

In SF2 combos were an accident that players discovered, everything beyond that is Capcom designing a game with combos in mind which is just no fun IMO. I prefer fighting games that are like jazz, where there's a flow to the game and improvisation. Games designed for combos are dull and rigid as everybody is painting the same paint by numbers picture.

This thread has me interested in checking out Battle Fantasia now.

Skilletor said:
They weren't.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

Your zeal to call me stupid at fighting games has you doing it wrong here man.

Skilletor

In SF2 combos were an accident that players discovered, everything beyond that is Capcom designing a game with combos in mind which is just no fun IMO. I prefer fighting games that are like jazz, where there's a flow to the game and improvisation. Games designed for combos are dull and rigid as everybody is painting the same paint by numbers picture.

Your zeal to call me stupid at fighting games has you doing it wrong here man.

I don't even know what you mean.

Capcom's best fighting games are "designed around combos." You seem to be implying that combos don't allow for creativity or improvisation when that's not true at all. I mean, just looking at Ibuki in 3s (or 4) who is a pretty combo heavy character, and yet must use improvisation and trickiness in order to not die.

I only meant that the things you said (needing to study frame data, characters being written off, and practicing inconvenient inputs) has been around for quite some time.

Isn't one of your favorite characters R. Mika? yeah, she's pretty much Dan levels of ass. Oh, yeah, lets not forget about Dan.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blazblue is really not as complex as you put it. Learn the base mechanics and forget about the long combos. You'll still deal 70% of the damage of a big combo in 2-3 hits.

Due to the way moves are buffered in Blazblue, I find the game is much easier than the less lenient Street Fighter IV.

Grokbu

They weren't less needed back in the day, the game design was simpler; so there wasn't the insane focus on it as there is today.

It went from Rock / Paper / Scissors to Rock / Pebble / Cardboard / Paper / Construction Paper / X-acto Knife / Straight Razor / Scissor / Safety Scissors.

There is creativity though. Depending of the starter, the combos are probably going to look different. You also get to choose wether you should go for full damage, max damage without meter, okizeme or resets, and the like.

I do understand that this is subjective though, and I'm not saying you have to like it. But I still feel that there can be lots of creativity.

KOF XIII have lots of this, I feel. Much thanks to drive cancelling.

RedSwirl

If you're talking about playing competitively and SF4 is too much for you then I don't know what to tell you.

I'd say Soul Calibur is more intuitive with its combos but that's about it.

Skilletor said:
I don't even know what you mean.

Capcom's best fighting games are "designed around combos." You seem to be implying that combos don't allow for creativity or improvisation when that's not true at all. I mean, just looking at Ibuki in 3s (or 4) who is a pretty combo heavy character, and yet must use improvisation and trickiness in order to not die.

I consider SF2 to be one of Capcom's best fighting games and the combos were something players discovered after the game was in the wild. Not designed for. This has been stated by the developers of SF2 in old interviews in EGM/Gamepro from back in my high school days.

I only meant that the things you said (needing to study frame data, characters being written off, and practicing inconvenient inputs) has been around for quite some time.

No. There's nothing in SF2 as universally inconvenient as FADC or counterintuitive as parrying.

You certainly didn't need to rely on anything as inconvenient as FADC to be viable in SF2. You just needed common sense.

Isn't one of your favorite characters R. Mika? yeah, she's pretty much Dan levels of ass. Oh, yeah, lets not forget about Dan.

I like the character; that doesn't mean I don't understand why she's losing. :p

I might be inclined to argue that Dan set a bad precedent for Capcom in designing a joke character then opened them up to just designing wildly impractical and unbalanced lower tier characters. It would be fine if it was always and only Dan to mock SNK, but characters like Mika and Hakan ought to be viable without players needing to play twice as hard as the opponent.

Though Hakan's problems are more with SF4 design in general. Going from SSF4 to SSF4AE where his Oil Rocket input is generally regarded as NOW working like an SPD.

Why didn't it work like an SPD in SSF4? That's a bone headed design decision and 360 input regardless of the character should always function like the 360 input I'm used to with Zangief and T.Hawk.

Grokbu said:
There is creativity though. Depending of the starter, the combos are probably going to look different. You also get to choose wether you should go for full damage, max damage without meter, okizeme or resets, and the like.

I do understand that this is subjective though, and I'm not saying you have to like it. But I still feel that there can be lots of creativity.

You're viewing this exclusively as the attacker, which is part of the problem.

Modern fighting games make attacking aggressively more important than good defense. Rather, good defense is limited to blocking and waiting until your opponents fingers get worn out. I really have a problem with canned combos and putting the second player into a position of being a virtual volley ball for the attackers combos.

I'd love to see fighting game developers burn as many calories on the defensive end so that the flow of games would be less one sided, which is what I enjoyed about SF2 game flow. You didn't have a ton of defensive options, but attackers didn't have a ton of crazy combos and juggles.

Sorry this is sort of stream of consciousness here.

Juggles may be more the issue than actual canned combos. Sh*t makes me furious in Blazblue, getting stuck in a combo loop - even with barrier bursts, barrier block, and blocking it gets old fast. The defender is screwed while to chihuahua on cocaine is free to keep biting at your face all day.

Game developers took to penalizing defenders; how about penalizing attackers outside of the too little too late damage scaling on repeated combos. Give players a stamina meter in addition to a defense meter. This will end a lot of the ceaseless attacks in fighting games which make them no fun to play and force attackers to think, giving defenders a chance to retaliate.

KOF XIII have lots of this, I feel. Much thanks to drive cancelling.

I'm looking forward to KoF13.

I still love fighting games, but I feel they're in a place that's going to just force the rest of the market away due to the game design and the player base.

Competitive games will always have winners and losers, but well designed games will always have a players base outside of the hardcore audience. This is WHY Capcom attempted to go back to SF2 with SF4, regardless of my impression of how successful they actually were in that attempt.

TreIII

You may want to look out for both Soulcalibur 5 and Dead or Alive 5, next year. Both are airly simple to get into. Now we just hope that they'll both be actually good games. :lol

Grokbu

You're viewing this exclusively as the attacker, which is part of the problem.

Modern fighting games make attacking aggressively more important than good defense. Rather, good defense is limited to blocking and waiting until your opponents fingers get worn out. I really have a problem with canned combos and putting the second player into a position of being a virtual volley ball for the attackers combos.

I'd love to see fighting game developers burn as many calories on the defensive end so that the flow of games would be less one sided, which is what I enjoyed about SF2 game flow. You didn't have a ton of defensive options, but attackers didn't have a ton of crazy combos and juggles.

Sorry this is sort of stream of consciousness here.

Juggles may be more the issue than actual canned combos. Sh*t makes me furious in Blazblue, getting stuck in a combo loop - even with barrier bursts, barrier block, and blocking it gets old fast. The defender is screwed while to chihuahua on cocaine is free to keep biting at your face all day.

Game developers took to penalizing defenders; how about penalizing attackers outside of the too little too late damage scaling on repeated combos. Give players a stamina meter in addition to a defense meter. This will end a lot of the ceaseless attacks in fighting games which make them no fun to play and force attackers to think, giving defenders a chance to retaliate.
I personally think it's great as it is. In balanced fighting games, there are always holes in an attacker offense where you have the chance to attack back or be able to get back to neutral state. Even more so when characters have attacks with invincibility.

I also think that BlazBlue and KOF have interesting defensive options.
In BB, you have green bursts, gold bursts, barrier guard, instant blocks and counter assaults.
In KOF, you have guard counter rolls, regular rolls and guard counter blowbacks.

I'm not saying that you are wrong or anything, as this is a matter of taste. I definitely understand that you may find this annoying. Just stating my opinion.

Skilletor

I consider SF2 to be one of Capcom's best fighting games and the combos were something players discovered after the game was in the wild. Not designed for. This has been stated by the developers of SF2 in old interviews in EGM/Gamepro from back in my high school days.

Yes, this is true. But that's one fighter.

ST is definitely one of the best fighting games ever made. I agree. But that's only one of them.

CvS2, I'd say, is more execution dependent than SF4.
Alpha 2 was very link heavy
Alpha 3 with CCs, crouch cancels.
Vampire Savior Series
JoJo's
All of the vs. games.

I dislike SF4, but for different reasons than you, but your "combo" argument ignores everything between SF2 and SF4. lol.

So, yes, in comparison to SF2, you might have an argument. But it's waxing nostalgic to think this stuff hasn't been in pretty much every fighting game capcom has made since then.

Grokbu said:
I personally think it's great as it is. In balanced fighting games, there are always holes in an attacker offense where you have the chance to attack back or be able to get back to neutral state. Even more so when characters have attacks with invincibility.

I also think that BlazBlue and KOF have interesting defensive options.
In BB, you have green bursts, gold bursts, barrier guard, instant blocks and counter assaults.
In KOF, you have guard counter rolls, regular rolls and guard counter blowbacks.

I'm not saying that you are wrong or anything, as this is a matter of taste. I definitely understand that you may find this annoying. Just stating my opinion.

Elaborating on BlazBlue, gold Barrier Burst is an offensive measure, green is defensive. They're also limited in CS, IIRC the BB mechanic was different in CT.

Instant block is an awesome mechanic (it's like parrying, only it makes sense!), but once you're stuck in an attack loop your only options are to ride it out (if they player drops combos), or barrier burst.

What are the counter assaults? It's been a long while since I last played BB.

Skilletor said:
Yes, this is true. But that's one fighter.

ST is definitely one of the best fighting games ever made. I agree. But that's only one of them.

CvS2, I'd say, is more execution dependent than SF4.
Alpha 2 was very link heavy
Alpha 3 with CCs, crouch cancels.
Vampire Savior Series
JoJo's
All of the vs. games.

I dislike SF4, but for different reasons than you, but your "combo" argument ignores everything between SF2 and SF4. lol.

So, yes, in comparison to SF2, you might have an argument. But it's waxing nostalgic to think this stuff hasn't been in pretty much every fighting game capcom has made since then.

No, it's just me keeping my ass covered.

I realize Darkstalkers is where Capcom started focusing on combo based design; but I never played DS competitively. I hated the Alpha series, before SF4 Alpha was garbage tier SF. Only played Jojo's once at Super Just Games.

I played a LOT of CvSNK2; but I never had a problem with it, though that may be more based on the skill level of the persons I was playing.

Gonna keep an eye on this thread, as I love fighting games but I'm terrible at them because I don't have the time to memorize 1200+ combos.

Top Bottom