• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising will support the 3DS Circle Pad Pro

BurntPork

Banned
My statement still stands.

Nintendo officially endorsing and using the second analog

No it doesn't. They're not going to add the second pad without the triggers.

I'm not sure you're quite up to date on what impossible means.

Impossible to reasonably add them. Nintendo's not going to make a handheld that's an inch thick. If even Sony couldn't add triggers to Vita, what makes you think that Nintendo can add them to 3DS?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
At first I thought "Wait, Nintendo is making some sense?", then I remembered it's Sakurai.
Good decision.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As a lefty I can't imagine controlling movement with my right thumb. Dual stick gameplay would've been the way to go Nintendo. I think we're all comfortable with it at this point.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Yes, but how many Wii games with M+ support are actually worth playing? About as many as have already pledged to support the Pro, and it's not even out everywhere.

No-one said anything about requiring it, and really: who cares? If games use it, fine, if they don't, that's fine too - the idea that games are indisputably weaker without a second analogue input is just small-minded.
The point is not that the 3DS has better 3rd party support than the Wii (which is pretty obvious), the point is that the peripheral is completely OPTIONAL, that means, you buy a 3DS now without the peripheral, and the games are 100% playable without requiring it.

The M+ support is greater because some games required it, like Zelda, RS2, Flingsmash (sucks, I know), Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play Motion. Also, most of those are NINTENDO GAMES. This is not the case with most 3DS games, and it's not surprise that the Sakurai game supports it, Brawl supported the GCN controller for heaven's sake!

Some other games have the M+ optional, but it enhances greatly the experience (Tennis and Golf games); this is not the case with CCPro; you may prefer using it, but it will not be the definitive controller for anything; there is nothing developed with the CCPro in mind.

zigg

Anyone hoping to play without the stylus really needs to read the article. This is purely a lefty option.

Without the Circle Pad Pro, you'll use the stylus to aim and rotate the camera while the normal Circle Pad is used to move Pit when he's on land. However, with the Circle Pad Pro, left-handed gamers will be able to switch the controls so that they may use the stylus with their left hand.

"The way we are using the Circle Pad Pro in the game is to provide support for left-handed gamers," said Sakurai in an exclusive interview with Official Nintendo Magazine. "We've made it possible to use the right Circle Pad in place of the left one."

I personally found at E3 that the SP game worked really well with the stylus, but the MP game didn't work out so well.

Mdk7

good news.
I played it twice, and the control didn't convince me that much... this is a game where a second analogue can definitely make things better.

EDIT: i just read it's only an option for left-handed players, MEH.
Faith restored and the lost again in like 2 minutes.

monome

So it should be all touchscreen?

It could have been anything really. I don't care as long I get good at it.
But it missed its spot with lefties, and righties were mostly unconvinced.
And Circle pro is just to get a bit more mass appeal and was decided during the 3DS crisis.

Nintendo won't send it to its death, its not their style but clearly they have reevaluated its strategic importance (and the numbers it will do) but it's cooler now since the Marios are killing the charts.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
good news.
I played it twice, and the control didn't convince me that much... this is a game where a second analogue can definitely make things better.
It's not using two sticks at the same time. It's merely an option for lefty players (right analog to move, stylus to aim/shoot).

All i see is this being the confirmation of the second analog on the 3DS revision.
I fail to see how one Nintendo game (developed by an outside company) supporting optionally a peripheral that happens to be exclusive to one retailer in the US is a confirmation of anything, to be honest.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The point is not that the 3DS has better 3rd party support than the Wii (which is pretty obvious), the point is that the peripheral is completely OPTIONAL, that means, you buy a 3DS now without the peripheral, and the games are 100% playable without requiring it.

The M+ support is greater because some games required it, like Zelda, RS2, Flingsmash (sucks, I know), Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play Motion. Also, most of those are NINTENDO GAMES. This is not the case with most 3DS games, and it's not surprise that the Sakurai game supports it, Brawl supported the GCN controller for heaven's sake!

Some other games have the M+ optional, but it enhances greatly the experience (Tennis and Golf games); this is not the case with CCPro; you may prefer using it, but it will not be the definitive controller for anything; there is nothing developed with the CCPro in mind.

Yes, but none of that stuff could be inferred from your original post, so I don't understand why you're piling it all on now.

M+ and the Pro aren't even comparable in the way that you've outlined- one uses tech that is new and foreign to many devs and requires a great deal of work and forethought to implement, the other is a relatively simple addition with a decade's worth of applications to copy from.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I first played this at Nintendo World 2011;

- I told the Japanese Nintendo staff and the Austrlalian one who was there that I couldn't play it and they should add a left handed mode somehow.
- I played the game again at the Australian 3DS launch party and told everyone at Nintendo Australia, including the boss that I couldn't play it.
- I've tweeted to Sakurai about 50 times, in English and Japan about it.
- I played the game at a retailer briefing for the 3DS I snuck into in my home town.
- I played the game again at a Nintendo Event and told them again.

Thank me later.

I'm not one of these crazy left handed people (cough Dragona) who can't play the Wii normally, play Golf normally or use normal scissors. I can't write or use a stylus though in my right hand. It just don't work.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Thanks Vook! You shall get for your reward this bit of blu-tack that's been on my desk for months.

I told someone at the London 3DS event last year about the need for a lefthanded mode so I'm glad they finally listened. Now I can play it, wheeeeeee!

^______________^

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

- I told the Japanese Nintendo staff and the Austrlalian one who was there that I couldn't play it and they should add a left handed mode somehow.
- I played the game again at the Australian 3DS launch party and told everyone at Nintendo Australia, including the boss that I couldn't play it.
- I played the game at a retailer briefing for the 3DS I snuck into in my home town.

Thank me later.

I'm not one of these crazy left handed people (cough Dragona) who can't play the Wii normally, play Golf normally or use normal scissors. I can't write or use a stylus though in my right hand. It just don't work.

I hope to see you in the credits of the game, at this point! XD

monome

Thank me later.

I'm pretty sure Iwata is not laughing when it comes to Kid Icarus. And announcing Smash Bros so early was the deal for letting Sakurai do his thing with Nintendo's money.
Kid Icarus was supposed to be a love letter to hardcores with sufficient coating to get some family sales too. Gameplay has never hit the desired mark whichever hand you use.

I think until the 3DS lite, or whatever the redesign is, we'll see most if not all games including the possibility of using the circle pad.

hatchx

Banned
This is great news. Means the multiplayer can be competitive and cramp free into the future (with the redesign).

I'll probably pick up the CPpro with this.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Guys I did all that stuff, but I didn't have an impact at all I don't think haha.

No it doesn't. They're not going to add the second pad without the triggers.

Impossible to reasonably add them. Nintendo's not going to make a handheld that's an inch thick. If even Sony couldn't add triggers to Vita, what makes you think that Nintendo can add them to 3DS?

High five, Pork. I've been saying this for ages.

I mean I guess it's still just a prediction based on logic and all but really now.

EDIT: Well apparently I can't high five you because you are suddenly ban't.

Wolfe

Makes sense. Lets the left handed players hold the stylus in their left hand like they've been asking for.

Can't complain.

By the way, everyone who complains about the controls being awkward must really suck at video games. The controls felt perfectly natural after 2 minutes, for me.

I like how you call out everyone that doesn't like holding the 3DS with one hand (and still using key inputs such as the analog stick/shoulder button) while using the stylus as "really sucking at video games" only to follow it up with "felt perfectly natural, for me."

I played the thing for 5-10 minutes at PAX but hey it's nice to know I just suck at video games.

And yes it is funny to me all the people jumping to the two analog stick support without reading the whole thing, it's the first thing I assumed as well and would have wanted.

Fucking dumb if they're making it stylus-only either way. Give us dual-analogue- you have the option, so going stylus-only is a fundamental bad decision if you go that way.

If only the 3DS had a thumbstrap

I don't really understand the love for dual-analogue. Is this because I've never used a dual-analogue controller and don't know what I'm missing?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
All i see is this being the confirmation of the second analog on the 3DS revision.
image.php

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't really understand the love for dual-analogue. Is this because I've never used a dual-analogue controller and don't know what I'm missing?

The main perk of dual-analogue is camera control for third-person action games. It also does a serviceable job at emulating mouse aiming for FPS games - it can't hang with true mouse controls, or stylus controls, or pointer controls, but if the games are designed with dual-analogue aiming in mind they can be pretty fun.

The big disadvantage of aiming with the stylus is that is limits the amount of buttons you can use, as your right hand is completely occupied with aiming and other touchscreen-related stuff.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
fuckyeah.gif

Day 1 purchase beyond confirmed. I actually thought the game looked like an awesome idea, but the Prime Hunters control system would have been too much of a pain.

Edit: YES, I saw the lefties remark, but that's just a justification for including support. I swear to god, I bet Sakurai probably had to rationalize it that way to get approval for support.

However, this is Sakurai. I would be stunned if the game doesn't have full control mapping options for just about any configuration, with circle pad pro installed.

Good news for lefties! I hope more stuylus games will support it, for lefties' sake.

Did any of you play Sin & Punishment 2 with a GameCube or Classic Controller?

If there were a boss where I had to keep my hand still, I'd switch to Classic Controller to make it much easier. Specifically Level 5 (desert level)'s boss - Couldn't beat it at first until switching.

Berordn

ITT people don't read. There's no confirmation of twin stick controls anywhere, just being able to use it as a lefty mode. Don't start assuming it'll be there or there'll just be rage when it releases.

I am happy it's there as a left-dominant writer, but I'll probably trudge through it without the CPP just to carry around less.

Top Bottom