• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman on meth burns down 3,500-year-old tree (G-A-F?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

medium.jpg

cmt-medium.jpg

Why is it that so many of nature's most awe-inspiring specimens seem to meet their end under such stupid circumstances? Some of you may recall reading about The Senator in recent weeks. The massive tree — which stood for over 3,500 years in what is now Longwood, Florida — was the oldest pond cypress tree in the world, and was believed to be the fifth-oldest tree on the planet. And on January 16th of this year, after smoldering unnoticed for over a week, The Senator became engulfed in flames and fell to Earth, utterly destroyed.

For over a month, officials have been puzzling over the cause behind the tree's igneous undoing. Now, according to Florida's WFTV news, they finally have their answer:

In January, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Service initially suspected an arsonist, and also believed that lightning could have caused the fire.

However, through Crimeline tips, they learned [26-year-old Sarah Barnes] and a friend were inside the tree taking methamphetamine.

Agents said Barnes took pictures of the fire and downloaded the images to her cellphone and computer. Officials said she showed people the images, and said "I can't believe I burned down a tree older then [sic] Jesus."

Yeah. We're having a hard time wrapping our heads around the absurdity of the situation, ourselves, Sarah.

io9

Local news video of tree on fire and subsequent arrest.

ToxicAdam

I was going to post this earlier, because I thought GAF had a thread on it burning down. But couldn't find the thread.

But yea ... meth and florida. How cliche.

andycapps

Well, if it weren't for the tree, I would have thought Kentucky. But out of those choices, Florida is the logical choice.

It's all a part of mother natures cycle of life and death.

Tree grows.. someone smokes meth inside of it.. tree burns down.. more trees grow in it's place.. and more meth is smoked inside of them.

How God™ intended it.

Smellycat

We should investigate the former 6th oldest tree for complicity.

haha, clearly this a conspiracy that is way bigger and older that any of us!!! You don't want to meddle in tree business, unless you want to wake up to the sound of a tree falling over your house.

ToxicAdam

I remember reading at the time of the fire that the tree was pretty much dead. Just kind of a hollowed-out husk of what it was. But it's still a shame for it to disappear so carelessly.

Apparently no one gave a shit about the tree anyway. Am I reading that right that it was smoldering for over a week with no one even noticing?

Orlando is meth central. I had the misfortune of living there last year. I wanted to check out The Senator while I was there, but alas, me and the bf had a fight. Shame I will never see the tree again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom