• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Obsidian's canceled project was published by Microsoft, was for Xbox 720

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kotaku put up quite the rumor about Obsidian's canceled projects.

This is presumably one of the "new core IPs from partner studios" Microsoft mentions in their job postings.

Thanks to V_Ben for finding this.

Kotaku said:
Rumor: Obsidian’s Cancelled Project Was For The Next Xbox, Published By Microsoft

Obsidian's ill-fated 'North Carolina' game was slated for the next Xbox and published by Microsoft, according to sources familiar with the project who spoke to Kotaku today.

Yesterday, after almost seven months of development
, Microsoft cancelled the project, our sources said. Obsidian consequently had to let go of 30 people, as reported by several outlets this morning.

One source close to the project informed Kotaku that Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart choked up while addressing the company during a meeting yesterday afternoon. While he normally projects loudly, the source said, he was chillingly quiet while informing staff that North Carolina had been cancelled.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5893427/rumor-obs...-was-for-the-next-xbox-published-by-microsoft

V_Ben

Banned
Thanks for posting it, my Internet won't currently let me use GAF on my computer... No idea why.

Super shitty if true. Surely you want more games at your next console launch.

Why would another publisher want it? Microsoft wouldn't have dropped the project if they thought it was going to be a success, clearly things weren't working out like they'd hoped.
just because a game doesn't look like it's gonna sell a lot doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great game. I would want someone else to publish it so I can uhhh play it one day n tingz.

Metallix87

Fucking Microsoft...

Do you guys really think you need FEWER hardcore games exclusive to your next system early on?

The fact that this may end up leading to the demise of Obsidian is horrific...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Why would another publisher want it? Microsoft wouldn't have dropped the project if they thought it was going to be a success, clearly things weren't working out like they'd hoped.
Microsoft couldnt make a good decision regarding game development to save their life. The only surprising thing about the 360s success is that it happened in spite of Microsoft.

saunderez

just because a game doesn't look like it's gonna sell a lot doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great game. I would want someone else to publish it so I can uhhh play it one day n tingz.

You don't think game quality is one of the criteria publishers use? Because it's soooo easy to sell a crappy game right?

McHuj

That really sucks.

Hopefully stuff leaks about the next xbox now.

Two, if it has been in development for about 7 months, dev's must have gotten target specs probably last summer coincidentally that's when all the rumors started showing up. I'm predicting spring 2013 for a launch of the next xbox.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i would say im going to stop buying Microsoft products over this but their output the last few years has had the same effect. i will swear that i will never purchase anything from them ever again. No matter how tempting.. not even if Obsidian survives this.. never again a fucking dime.

mujun

i would say im going to stop buying Microsoft products over this but their output the last few years has had the same effect. i will swear that i will never purchase anything from them ever again. No matter how tempting.. not even if Obsidian survives this.. never again a fucking dime.

Bit of an overreaction, no?

gaming_noob

.....Ok....?

DarkChild

Banned
You really take this too seriously. Its surely not MS fault that Obsidian is in trouble. I'm actually surprised they would want title from developers who in last couple years made DS3 and AP.

Fucking Microsoft. They have fucked over so many developers in the last decade and it's shameful.

Seriously, you couldn't even give them a real chance? They are beyond talented, they just need the right funding and a decent publisher to give them full support. 7 months... what the fuck. That's not even out of pre-production...

DarkChild

Banned
Fucking Microsoft. They have fucked over so many developers in the last decade and it's shameful.

Seriously, you couldn't even give them a real chance? They are beyond talented, they just need the right funding and a decent publisher to give them full support. 7 months... what the fuck. That's not even out of pre-production...
Yea, they are really talented... Only thing that was left from Obsidian is their name, alot of guys have left company through the years. Their games last few years haven't really been any good for somebody to pour millions for their exclusive game.

Top Bottom