• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Obsidian's canceled project was published by Microsoft, was for Xbox 720

saunderez

Or they were not meeting their previously agreed to milestone dates.

That's the likely scenario to me. Microsoft has funded what turned into some pretty terrible games, they must have been convinced they wouldn't even get a terrible game out of this project to scrap it so early on.

I like Obsidian, but for those who say their track record is not good are not completely incorrect if we are basing this solely on Metacritic scores. I'm not saying we should, but publishers and many gamers do, and that usually resorts in poorer sales. In fact, has Obsidian had one mega hit? I wish they did, but perhaps MS would have more confidence if their track record was better.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. Either way, this is one of the shittiest moves by MS I've seen.

I think that they have a pretty good chance at South Park to give them a little treatment during their intensive surgery. It could be a biggie. But THQ and Obsidian are really on thin ice, so who knows.

Fuck Metacritic, honestly. Game reviewers are so hit or miss that it's really hard to give it serious consideration. Obsidian makes flawed gems... yeah, they have bugs and they're not perfect, but the gameplay/writing underneath is far above average. They have great ideas that aren't always executed competently, but at least they try.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
They can make a new one...
The problem is that their games take considerable world creation. If they were making a 6 hour FPS or something it wouldnt be a big loss. Characters, story, choice and consequence flow.. all lost.. is a huge blow to recover from.

Emitan

The problem is that their games take considerable world creation. If they were making a 6 hour FPS or something it wouldnt be a big loss. Characters, story, choice and consequence flow.. all lost.. is a huge blow to recover from.

PS4 is probably farther off then the 720.

Fuck Metacritic, honestly. Game reviewers are so hit or miss that it's really hard to give it serious consideration. Obsidian makes flawed gems... yeah, they have bugs and they're not perfect, but the gameplay/writing underneath is far above average. They have great ideas that aren't always executed competently, but at least they try.

flawed, inconsistent and incomplete gems.

Over the years microsoft has developed a zero tolerence policy poor project management and they've been consistent on killing publishing to projects that aren't be developed on schedule and to the requirements. I can't really fault either party.

Fable IV by Obsidian would've really taken the series to new heights but then again looking at the direction Microsoft has taken lately, I can see why they're cutting hardcore games.

Yes, I agree.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fable IV by Obsidian would've really taken the series to new heights but then again looking at the direction Microsoft has taken lately, I can see why they're cutting hardcore games.

Well all games for ms must fit into 3 ip so it was probably fable iv. Or more appropriately, fable: reckoning

Random question, how did Dungeon Siege III do? I enjoyed it - terrible loot game but as a story driven action rpg I thought it was pretty good. Very linear, but good

Wouldn't mind seeing SE come in and scoop this project up and renaming it like they did for True Crime / Sleeping Dogs

duckroll

Well, this game was only in development for 7 months apparently, so it's not as terrible as it could be. The question is whether Obsidian can survive until they find another publisher to fund their future titles. :(

scitek

Fuck the importance placed on Metacritic. Rottentomatoes isn't put on the same kind of pedestal by the movie industry.

Vinci

Danish
I'm not happy about what's happening to Obsidian, but it's very likely that MS gave the team certain milestones to hit and they missed them. That's not being an asshole - that's being competent.

Best of luck to Obsidian though.

szaromir

Banned
I love love love Obsidian, but anyone who believes they have a shot at launching a blockbuster new IP for the console audience is incredible insane (which this game would need to be). In fact I don't understand why Microsoft signed a deal for such game with them in the first place. The game would probably be released 4 years after the launch of the system, still have some flaws to harp on for reviewers who want everything to play like Uncharted and would never make the money back.

I think Obsidian should scale back now and try to release a 2D RPG akin to the Black Isle legacy of Fallout and Planescape Torment - I'm sure such games would sell 300-500k at the very least and would easily cover costs of development and then some.

It's probably depressing for the people who lost their job and the atmosphere in the studio must be very down. :(

ZoddGutts

Smart move. It's better for Microsoft to throw money at Epic or Bioware for exclusives. You know games that will actually sell well.

Vamphuntr

Wonder why they canceled it after only 7 months. Obsidian seems like a weird choice for MS, especially after seeing all the casual/mainstream/kinect games MS are making/funding.

Conor 419

Banned
This is how I picture how it happened.

Phil Harrison enters MS HQ for the first time.

PH: Right team, give me an update.
Employee: Valve called sir! They've re-requested for Steamworks on the new Xbox
PH: Deny it, block communications with them. What else is happening out there?
E2: EA have a proposition for Mirror's Edge 2 exclusivity sir!
PH: Get it, but damn I want that game on XBLA
E2: Yes sir!
E3: Sir, the rest of Lionhead are threatening to leave, they really really don't want to make Fable: Heroes sir!
PH: Fire them all, cancel PD2 and Banjo Threeie. Rare can make Fable:Heroes now
E3: Right, sir.
E4: Sir, Obsidian's new IP is forecasted to go 10$ over budget?
PH: Cancel it

Opposed to everyone else?

It's not an assumption when it's Microsofts fault, but if it could be Obsidian's? Assumption.

We're mixing Obsidian fandom and platform wars, what do you expect? All we need is for Bioware to get involved somehow and we'll have the perfect combination.

gaming_noob

If this was a nasty breakup, expect ex employees to come out of the closet and reveal stuff via twitter, neogaf, etc. But until then it's pointless to point fingers.

saunderez

And the assumptions other are using make more sense? That it was a daring, ambitious, brilliant game in the making and MS scrapped it for giggles?

That's the only way it could've possibly played out. Obsidian has never missed the mark before and they certainly haven't had difficulties with other publishers so it's impossible this was their fault in any way shape or form.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Smart move. It's better for Microsoft to throw money at Epic or Bioware for exclusives. You know games that will actually sell well.

kroyI.jpg

It takes an assumption to believe Obsidian weren't blowing all the development funds on blackjack and hookers too.

No, now you're asking us to prove a negative, which is retarded. We can prove the positive that Microsoft canceled the project and left Obsidian up shit creek without a paddle. Where is your positive evidence of Obsidian wrongdoing?

Acosta

And the assumptions other are using make more sense? That it was a daring, ambitious, brilliant game in the making and MS scrapped it for giggles?

We don't even know if this is true.

And even accepting this, we are talking of a company that with a good record screwing studios and projects for all kind of stupid reasons. Ask anyone from Rare.

That's the only way it could've possibly played out. Obsidian has never missed the mark before and they certainly haven't had difficulties with other publishers so it's impossible this was their fault in any way shape or form.

yeah, the aliens rpg was never cancelled, neither was seven drawves. Alpha protocal had a perfect development history and wasn't released as a buggy mess, kotor 2 never got critisized for feeling like an incomplete and rushed sequel...

Seriously, their history is the definition of difficulty.

Vinci

Danish
We don't even know if this is true.

This is true. But everyone else is obviously assuming it's true... Look at the thread.

And even accepting this, we are talking of a company that with a good record screwing studios and projects for all kind of stupid reasons. Ask anyone from Rare.

That's a fair point. But it still seems a bit crazy to cancel it after seven months unless something was really just not working out.

Are you done trolling now?

That is not trolling. Microsoft is a publisher, and they want to make everything as profitable as possible, which is a business fundamental. Obsidian's track record has been shaky, ESPECIALLY when it comes to competent game engines. Again, I love Obsidian, and I hate Microsoft for doing this, but if you're saying that type of statement is of a troll, that's silly.

Top Bottom