• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Obsidian's canceled project was published by Microsoft, was for Xbox 720

mujun

I totally agree it's fucked and that it's a dick move by MS (they have the money, would know what it would do to Obsidian and surely an RPG at launch would be a good thing) but chances are they didn't like the progress that had been made (Obsidian has a spotty record quality wise) and/or they have another RPG lined up.

They hardly did this on purpose. It's cold but then again they are a company.

Emitan

You know what? I am super anti-Xbox (hate Microsoft's business practices with it), but if they had gotten Obsidian as a platform exclusive developer and had a game from them out at launch I WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY BOUGHT ONE.

To be clear: I bought Bayonetta on PS3. That is how major this would have been for me to buy a 720.

DiscoJer

This is where Sony should really step in.

They have a gaming device that desperately needs software.

Obsidian is a company that apparently desperately needs work. Seems like a great match. Or heck, it's just an area of Western development that Sony is really weak in (despite having a whole MMORPG division, strangely enough), even picking them up for the PS3/PS4 makes sense, IMHO.

saunderez

This is where Sony should really step in.

Sony should step in and continue throwing money at a project Microsoft didn't deem feasible? That sounds like a great way to lose even more money. Nostalgia for Black Isle overpowers the reality of Obsidian around here.

It's not like Microsoft is the first publisher to dump an Obsidian project, there's clearly issues at the studio, this has happened time and time again.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
People saying MS should just fund it,MS has tighten the belt in the gaming divison for years. More proof the nexbox will be profitable from day one.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I totally agree it's fucked and that it's a dick move by MS (they have the money, would know what it would do to Obsidian and surely an RPG at launch would be a good thing) but chances are they didn't like the progress that had been made (Obsidian has a spotty record quality wise) and/or they have another RPG lined up.

They hardly did this on purpose. It's cold but then again they are a company.
This is Microsoft we are talking about. Not Notch or Valve or something. Microsofts judgement regarding projects is notoriously spotty. Psychonauts, making Shadowrun a Counterstrike clone, Alan Wake, etc. Chances are that the project was canceled because it would have been good. Microsoft of course probably thought they were doing the right thing but every day at Microsoft lately is like Opposite Day.

What the hell, Microsoft. You really need an innovative RPG developer like Obsidian. Goddamnit. Fail on your part. Fail, fail, fail.

Derrick01

Banned
As I said in the other thread in a way I'm glad because I didn't want to buy the next xbox, and even if it's from Obsidian just having 1 game I want is so far away from me justifying a $300+ purchase.

Microsoft also dropped Psychonauts.

And Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

While I'm thankful they didn't release an exclusive for a system I don't own, this really sucks. I've played and finished all but one of their games (NWN2, which I own but haven't gotten around to playing) and have thoroughly enjoyed them all regardless of bugs. Here's hoping they can find another publisher because if they go the way of Black Isle, I'll be bitterly disappointed.

Maybe they could even do a Kingdoms of Amalur and re-use all their created assets for a different game. That's assuming Microsoft didn't pull a True Fantasy Online on them though.

scitek

Yeah, MS kept Alan Wake going for fuck's sakes, something must've really been jacked up with this.

EDIT: Not saying Alan Wake's in any way bad, just that it didn't exactly set the world on fire, yet it got bundled and a spin-off.

DarkChild

Banned
you again?
You have a problem with the fact that I'm responding to a topic like anyone else? Or I can't post since I don't share an opinion that because MS canceled project they are doomed?

I would rather that MS pays as much money as it needs so that people don't get fired, I can give a fuck about MS. But its business for them, and if game is not going as well as they hoped for it to go, than it mean cancellation.

saunderez

Great argument there. Alpha Protocol was terrible, Dungeon Siege 3 was a snooze fest, I only give them credit for New Vegas because I am a Fallout fanboy. I hold out hope for the South Park RPG because that's practically impossible for them to fuck up with the amount of creative control Matt and Trey have. Their track record is spotty at best, terrible at worst.

Fucking Microsoft. They have fucked over so many developers in the last decade and it's shameful.

Seriously, you couldn't even give them a real chance? They are beyond talented, they just need the right funding and a decent publisher to give them full support. 7 months... what the fuck. That's not even out of pre-production...

are you kidding me? obsidian has been treading water since they didn't get accepted into the ea deal with bioware.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gosh, that line in the article about Feargus choking up while making the announcement really got to me. This has been one of the shittiest days in gaming news in a long time. I probably would have been upset by the next Obsidian game being a console exclusive, but if that's what would take to keep them afloat, I'd be fine with it. Hell, I'd buy the next Xbox for it, no fuckin' doubt. What a shame.

edit - a little OT, but where's jim-jam? He would be torn up by this I'm sure, but he's been missing for awhile :(.

Derrick01

Banned
But we know nothing about the next Xbox.

I know that they love them some Kinect and rely on third parties to fill out their hardcore library, this rumor adding even more support to that. I have a PC so their third party support means fuck all to me and I'm done with Halo, Fable and Gears.

saunderez

wut is this, i dont even

My opinion. Because you know, I played it to the point of giving up in frustration. Generally if a game is good that doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong it was a great idea for a game, it was the implementation that let it down.

I'm definitely up for a GOOD spy/espionage RPG.

i would say im going to stop buying Microsoft products over this but their output the last few years has had the same effect. i will swear that i will never purchase anything from them ever again. No matter how tempting.. not even if Obsidian survives this.. never again a fucking dime.

Welcome new Mac user. How you going to get around using Office?

Yea, they are really talented... Only thing that was left from Obsidian is their name, alot of guys have left company through the years. Their games last few years haven't really been any good for somebody to pour millions for their exclusive game.

tumblr_lyfdpnT1kC1r9ekmao1_500.gif

DING DONG, YOU WRONG

i dont use Office. i sure as fuck am not getting Windows 8 now. Windows 7 and Linux only for me i guess.

You don't hate MS too much if you are continuing to use their products. Show them just how angry you are and go Linux only.

If MS backed out of funding for the game, then it must have been really bad.

Or it didn't have enough guns.

Or they were not meeting their previously agreed to milestone dates.

DING DONG, YOU WRONG

I like Obsidian, but for those who say their track record is not good are not completely incorrect if we are basing this solely on Metacritic scores. I'm not saying we should, but publishers and many gamers do, and that usually resorts in poorer sales. In fact, has Obsidian had one mega hit? I wish they did, but perhaps MS would have more confidence if their track record was better.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. Either way, this is one of the shittiest moves by MS I've seen--if true.

So what are the chances Obsidian die now?

I think that they have a pretty good chance at South Park to give them a little treatment during their intensive surgery. It could be a biggie. But THQ and Obsidian are really on thin ice, so who knows.

fernoca

Really weird, after only 7 months. Something must've been going really bad on the development; or Microsoft just decided to pull the plug for some other reason (new focus, earlier release of the next Xbox...).

Man if there's anything Microsoft needs less of is core game exclusives. What the hell happened? Remember when Mass Effect was exclusive? There core game exclusives are now like Halo, Forza, Fable and Gears. Halo will always be good I guess. I hate racing sims so I don't care about Forza. Fable did a giant pole vault over the shark starting with Fable 3 and I doubt there will be a Gears 4.

If they want me to jump in with the Next Box they need more core franchises than that because they aren't going to sell me a new system based on whatever Kinect 2.0 stuff they've probably got cooked up. A next gen Obsidian game would have been cool.

Top Bottom