• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why region lock exist?

LeleSocho

Banned
Hn68Q.jpg

I mean the money always go to the software houses in case of localized titles and more money for the not localized ones.... Why in the hell hardware house does not make region free consoles?

Because console (and software) developers want to enjoy the benefits of globalization while denying the same benefits to consumers.

Majine

Banned
To get better data on what each region likes and doesn't? I know Nintendo is very interested in this stuff.

Peff

People who import games for less money, mostly. I suppose small niche publishers don't mind either.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Because if people from region A buy games in region B they are not buying the game in region A.
Thefore the publishing arm in region A has one less sale to show for while region B has a surplus of sale.

Globally they are compared to each other and region A will be asked why they performed worse than region B.

That's the explanation that you will get if you ask a publisher. If you ask other people it's because region specific prices.
People will just buy the Russian version of a game for 30% of the asking price in for example Europe.

Bottom lines, basically.

It helps get accurate numbers for regions, controls the marketing, the digital schedule, the fees, etc.

It provides very few consumer benefits, but gives companies ways to control their products by regions.

Some third parties are oddly big fans of it.

Don't Sony still block people importing hardware into the EU though?
No, that was only the PSP. Problem is that taking down Lik Sang made a lot of importers panic, last time I checked Play Asia still won't send Sony stuff to Europe so as to avoid any retaliation. Nintendo did a similar thing regarding Animal Crossing for the Gamecube as well, but nobody paid any attention to them.

thefro

There are also some licenses where a game publisher may only have the rights to sell a game in a particular region.

Maybe it's a movie license or TV license. Or a developer makes a game and it's published by different publishers in each region.

cvxfreak

Pricing is often an incentive. Such as:

Resident Evil 6: $59.99 (US)
Biohazard 6: ¥7980 ($100.59)

RE6 isn't a real world example, but it shows why the industry prefers the practice in a lot of ways.

When Sony first blocked imports for psp, it was nothing to do with EU regulations. It was another form of price control.

I'm just curious as to whether that process continues today.

Ah, I stand corrected
It was because the PSP wasn't available in the UK yet, and they were exporting units from other regions.
Definitely price and product control.

As far as I know, there really hasn't been any action taken since then in that form.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Region lock exists for the same reason that console manufacturers feel incentivized to block used games on their consoles.

Acosta

Stupidity.

No, that was only the PSP. Problem is that taking down Lik Sang made a lot of importers panic, last time I checked Play Asia still won't send Sony stuff to Europe so as to avoid any retaliation.

That limitation is over. Play-Asia went back to send stuff to Europe.

Region lock should die ..i can understand ...no wait i don't

i wouldn't have bought nearly that much games if i couldn't choose the version i want to play

if you want to prevent abuse , just do what sony did for infamous 1 and you'll be fine ..
European owner , proud to own Jap , Hk and us version of the games i want to play ..

Region locking should die and i won't buy a 3ds untill i can bypass that bulls**t one way or another

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Games get rated on a per region basis no?

Isnt that one valid reason for region lock.

To get better data on what each region likes and doesn't? I know Nintendo is very interested in this stuff.

This doesn't really make sense. Say if Nintendo refuse to release a game in Europe, how can they tell from that if Europe likes the game? Or any other region liking the game, for that matter?

redlemon

Prevent grey markets and exploiting currency variations (By that I mean they take advantages of currency differences while preventing the consumer from doing the same.)

Acosta

Pricing is often an incentive. Such as:

Resident Evil 6: $59.99 (US)
Biohazard 6: ¥7980 ($100.59)

RE6 isn't a real world example, but it shows why the industry prefers the practice in a lot of ways.

You are right, but a sale is a sale and it works in the opposite way too. I'm sure Namco Bandai is not complaining about a bunch of foreigners buying their ultra expensive SRW games.

And at the end of the day, what is the real scale of this? I really doubt we are talking of significant numbers to justify pissing your costumers to no end.

Evlar

Banned
Sometimes it's distribution licensing issues with included content. For example, allowing certain anime-based games made for Japan to be sold in the US would violate the exclusive distribution rights of some US anime publishers.

DLC is region locked.

it's part of the online and is a valid escuse ... you're entitled to present the content from your region when you want a dlc you want it in your language , right ?

And nothing prevents you from making another region account

Sometimes it's distribution licensing issues with included content. For example, allowing certain anime-based games made for Japan to be sold in the US would violate the exclusive distribution rights of some US anime publishers.

It's a problem with the seller not me the buyer ..and not everyone buy from US , Some people import from Europe when no exclusive things exist for said anime for a long time..
In the end that's just an escuse.
Why shouldn't be allowed to buy and play gundam versus if i live ( example : in luxembourg ) .. Answer : no reason

Yagharek

Prevent grey markets and exploiting currency variations (By that I mean they take advantages of currency differences while preventing the consumer from doing the same.)

This is the crux of it. Globalisation is fine until customers can play too, in which case artificial barriers are erected, like region locking.

NHale

I hope all next-gen consoles are region free because otherwise I couldn't be able to play games like NCAA Football or MLB The Show that don't have an European release.

I still find it strange that it was Sony that took a smart decision and forced region free games on their console.

DLC is region locked.

1) Create a PSN account from that region
2) Buy PSN card from ebay or retailer
3) Buy DLC
4) Play the DLC with ANY account (even an account from a different region).

It takes a little time to do (~30mins) but I would say it's 10000000x better than not being able to play a game just because it's region locked.

Polk

Games get rated on a per region basis no?

Isnt that one valid reason for region lock.

Region locking existed before mandatory game ratings.
Non region locked games exist (well, PC and handhelds) after universal mandatory game ratings.

thread title made me think "how is babby formed"

Its about the retail distribution chain, and the co-ordination and control of regional business.

For arguments sake lets say you buy a game in the UK:

• The retailer
  • The haulage and distribution companies that delivered the games to the retailer
  • The regional dept of the publishing house, and their PR firms / contractors
  • The regional dept of the manufacturer (ie. Nint/Sony/MS)

all get a cut - in Euros, Dollars, Yen or whatever other denomination.

Before you bought that game, the retailer spent money buying in stock, paying the distributor, the publisher made a projection of local sales and produced <x> number of copies for sale to retailers, and invested <y> euro/dollars/yen in marketing... maybe the manufacturer also weighed in on marketing efforts.

All of that activity employs people in a given region or locality. Region blocking is about protecting that... it's also about scheduling. Because of localisation efforts, global releases aren't as common as we'd like - therefore release dates vary, and the variables around release windows vary. You would imagine that Activision Europe would concern themselves greatly with EA Europe's plans for their big FPS games for example.

In addition to all of that, it can be about protecting a fiscal plan too. €40 is not the same thing as $40. Maybe they need that money from Europe in the next financial year and not the current one. Maybe they are looking at the markets and feel the return will better effect the balance sheet later on after x,y,z happens in the industry or the wider market...

Someone else mentioned licensing issues around anime -- the same thing applies with film franchises. Trademarks, copyrights and brands all need to be considered in the different regions.

There would be a certain burden of beaurocracy in ensuring and allowing region free globalised releases as well. The software industry is largely regulation free because it is seen to regulate itself through bodies like the ESRB and PEGI. If you allow these bodies to be flouted and circumvented, you could potentially embolden those who would seek to regulate the industry more tightly.

They don't do it just to fuck with enthusiasts. That's just an unhappy side effect.

Which makes online passes region locked.
Not all online passes are .

I play Uncharted 3 Online on a EU account , with a disc Us version and a online pass activated on a Us account ...

TEXT

They don't do it just to fuck with enthusiasts. That's just an unhappy side effect.
This explanation only works when a title is going to be released worldwide .
What about My Titles from japan that i have next to no chance being distributed or localised in europe or USA? ( Super robo taisen , gundam VS , project diva , Many Tales of games ..and the list can get very long )
What about all those game localised in USA , but nobody will publishing them in europe ...Just Because ... i won't penalize anyone in europe ( game stocks for example ) when i buy my games in another country when it has no chance to be localised ..

mclem

Or a developer makes a game and it's published by different publishers in each region.

That was true of the original Sniper Elite. MC2 Publishing in Europe, Namco in the US. That did cause extra difficulties trying to keep the two versions in sync when the publishers were working at different rates (including one moment where we had to pull it from MC2 at the last minute because Namco wanted some changes); had the versions been different, we couldn't have had international online play.

Top Bottom