• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple people shot at Wisconsin Sikh temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/05/breaking-reports-of-shooting-at-sikh-temple/?hpt=hp_t1
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/165061026.html

Multiple people may have been shot at a Sikh temple in Milwaukee County, CNN affiliate WTMJ reports.

Suspect still at large

SWAT team is waiting outside the building, the suspect is supposed to be inside

As of now: 4 dead 30 injured

Gunman, six others dead at Wisconsin Sikh temple
(CNN) -- At least seven people, including a gunman shot by a police officer, have been killed in an attack on worshippers at a Sikh temple in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek, Wisconsin, on Sunday, police said.

The officer was wounded but "returned fire, and that shooter was put down," said Bradley Wentlandt, the police chief in nearby Greenfield, who briefed reporters. Investigators who picked through the building afterward found four bodies inside the temple and two other victims outside, plus the gunman, Wentlandt said.

At least three wounded, including the officer, were being treated at Milwaukee's Froedtert Hospital, spokeswoman Carolyn Bellin told CNN. All three were in critical condition.

Family members gathered outside the temple, or gurdwara, told CNN affilliate WTMJ that survivors were being taken to a nearby bowling alley for questioning. Amardeep Kaleka said his father, congregation president Satwant Kaleka, was shot and wounded when he attempted to tackle the gunman, and his mother -- who hid in a closet during the violence -- was too distraught to talk.
Witnesses: This is sad, devastating
Temple spokesman: Hostages held inside
Police: Temple shooter presumed dead

And Darshan Dhaliwal, another of the gurdwara's leaders, said Sunday afternoon he wasn't sure how many were hurt.

"Our dear ones and near ones are injured and hurt, and we are trying to find out what happened," Dhaliwal told WTMJ.

And another man told the station, "Nobody's angry here. We're just confused. Was this a random act? Was this directed at us because of the way we look?"

The Sikh religion originated in northern India in the early 1500s. Sikh men are identifiable by their beards and turbans, but often confused for Hindus or Muslims. There are roughly 25 million Sikhs in the world, 700,000 of whom live in the United States, according to the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

The Oak Creek gurdwara has a congregation of 250 to 400, according to its website.

"I just want to say this temple was built a number of years ago and there have never been any problems with this temple," Oak Creek Alderman Dan Jakubczyk said. "They've been a plus to this city and to my district."

Though early reports had suggested there may have been more than one attacker, Wentlandt said officers had not identified any other gunmen. As the search went on, utility crews cut electric and gas service to the building at the request of authorities, said Cathy Schulze, a spokeswoman for area utility We Energies.

The police officer wounded in the assault is a 20-year veteran who was shot multiple times, Wentlandt said, but he was expected to survive. The officer was sent to the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, after a 911 call about 10:25 a.m. (11:25 a.m. ET).

State Rep. Josh Zepnick, who represents much of the Milwaukee area's Sikh community, said he was "torn to shreds" by the attack.

"It's a very peace-loving community that has successfully integrated and assimilated into the metropolitan Milwaukee area," Zepnick told CNN afilliate WTMJ.

And state Rep. Mark Honadel, who represents the area, called the attack "craziness."

"Unfortunately, when this type of stuff hits your area, you say to yourself, 'Why?' But in today's society, I don't think there's any place that's free from idiots."

DarkKyo

This shit is just the foreshadowing of what is to come for this tragic country. *sigh*

Everybody sees what's coming but nobody in charge has the moral fortitude and courage to put their fucking foot down.

Volimar

Hoo-doo

Banned
Any public police radios in the area? That's how many people here got news and updates when the Aurora shooting was still developing.

This shit is just the foreshadowing of what is to come for this tragic country. *sigh*

Everybody sees what's coming but nobody in charge has the moral fortitude and courage to put their fucking foot down.

Dude, this shit happens all the time, and always has. This is tragic as all fuck, but it's not a "sign of things to come."

halogamer

Banned
I think it's better to wait, it could be anyone at this point.

"According to recent information broadcast over police radio, a witness to the shooting told law enforcement the shooter was a white male, with a heavy build, bald head and wearing a sleeveless T-shirt. He was last seen with two handguns."

I think it's better to wait, it could be anyone at this point.

It is in so much as 'mass shooting' every couple of weeks.

A lot of Sikhs got shot at after 9/11 in Indiana...

A lot.. 7/11's firebombed and stuff, no joke.

"According to recent information broadcast over police radio, a witness to the shooting told law enforcement the shooter was a white male, with a heavy build, bald head and wearing a sleeveless T-shirt. He was last seen with two handguns."

Yep.

Early reports can be all over the place, I'm not saying you can't prejudge I'm just saying it might not be for the best.

who would target sikhs of all people
the hell

such an unexpected location for a rampage

The article mentioned this:
Sikh Indians, because of religious tradition, wear turbans to cover their uncut hair and have longer beards. They are often mistaken for Muslims and have been the targets of racially-motivated crimes by anti-Muslim people and groups, as evidenced by the epithets shouted at them.
That's truly the definition of ignorance.

RDreamer

They're saying there might be kids as hostages now. Crazy...

Interview is saying possibly 12 kids being held hostage ages 8-20

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
who would target sikhs of all people
the hell

such an unexpected location for a rampage

Not that I'm seriously posturing or anything, but I'm going with religious extremists (pick your favourite bunch of loons) or some bloodthirsty moron scared of their magnificent turbans.

FoxSpirit

What?? This happens all the time. I bet it's a caste related shooting again. Damn untoucables getting wild as soon as they leave India, it's an outrage!

Volimar

LOL CNN had to add this snippet to their original story.

Sikhism rose up 500 years ago in India as a monotheistic religion that rejected the caste system and scriptures of Hinduism.

Everyone should take a step back, and stop making presumptions.

Agreed. GAF has a lot of know-it-alls and we like to make sweeping declarations and then spend the next 24 hours defending it. But let's just wait till we have all the facts here before we start going after each other.

How are you 100 percent sure? Has new information been released?

I thought someone just posted the suspect description. Maybe I was wrong.

edit:

Is this legit?

Some people have been evacuated...not sure how they managed to get out. btw, Fox News is doing so much better job at reporting this news. CNN is flying a stupid helicopter with analysts talking, while FN reporters are on ground interviewing victims' relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom