• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple people shot at Wisconsin Sikh temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the armed person was a card carrying NRA member with a permit to conceal trying to stop the shooter? How would SWAT be able to tell it's the shooter or a citizen trying to help?

... which is why citizens shouldn't be wearing guns.
You're making things harder for the cops.

Oppo

Wow. Another one of these. Tragic.

How long until someone suggests that the entire Sikh temple should have been armed in order to prevent this...

I have no idea what is hard to understand about why the gunman would be shot. Maybe you can explain to me what you think should have happened.

I guess I have a problem with the word "believed". I would want policemen to be more sure than just "believed" before they start ending other people's lives. It has still not been verified that the person shot was the suspect and the word "believed" is still going around.

Police Briefing is on.

One Officer Shot (will survive)

One Shooter is down ( the one that shot the officer)

Unconfirmed more shooters in building.

No victim count

I guess I have a problem with the word "believed". I would want policemen to be more sure than just "believed" before they start ending other people's lives. It has still not been verified that the person shot was the suspect and the word "believed" is still going around.

You're reading too much into it, that's just the way they word things. It's like how they call people suspects even if they've blatantly committed a crime.

Steelrain

I doubt very much that they just walked up in there and started blasting random people.

Bombadil

Banned

Dude, if a news station uses the word "believed" that doesn't mean you should assume that SWAT had the same level of uncertainty. "Believed to be..." is news reporter lingo. SWAT members don't indiscriminately shoot people. Let's not make this an argument about police protocol. If you recall, James Holmes wasn't shot despite being the shooter. If the SWAT members did happen to shoot someone in this incident, more than likely the person was behaving in a dangerous manner (brandishing weapon, firing weapon, etc).

Vice

It's just what they say until they can confirm what happened which will be after this event if over.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What if the armed person was a card carrying NRA member with a permit to conceal trying to stop the shooter? How would SWAT be able to tell it's the shooter or a citizen trying to help?

You really think this is something that SWAT and other police officers/military/anyone weilding a gun professionally aren't trained to handle? You don't just shoot somebody because they have a gun. You scream at them to drop the gun and get on the ground. If they act aggressively, that's when they get shot.

(not to say there's never been cases where the wrong person got shot, of course there have. but it's not like there's no established protocol for this)

What the fuck? This is horrifying. Good that one of the shooters got taken down, but now there's another one around apparently? That is so fucked up. My whole family is Sikh, I'm sure this is gonna hit a few of them hard.

RDreamer

I guess they shut off the gas and electricity. The police asked the news not to show any of the tactics they're doing in case a suspect inside is watching.

itxaka

Defeatist

You drop the gun as soon as you see the swat guys
3aXWL.png

Im pretty sure they didn't just arrived and started shooting people down.

pigeon

Banned
Wow. Another one of these. Tragic.

How long until someone suggests that the entire Sikh temple should have been armed in order to prevent this...

Technically, they all should've been armed anyway, because they were Sikhs. But probably kirpans aren't really all that practical as self-defense against gunmen.

The shooter is a probably a Sikh.

I work with a Sikh, who lives in a community full of Sikhs (Brampton), an he says religious disputes at temples can occasionally get fairly heated. Every year or two around there someone goes absolutely nuts at a temple and stabs a bunch of people.

Zzoram

I work with a Sikh, who lives in a community full of Sikhs (Brampton), an he says religious disputes at temples can occasionally get fairly heated. Every year or two around there someone goes absolutely nuts at a temple and stabs a bunch of people.

Man armed with a knife is way easier to subdue than man armed with guns. They've already said bald white man.

I don't think there are multiple stabbings every year or two. Then again, maybe West Coast Sikhs are just more chilled out.*

* There was one time in the 90s I think where there was a big fistfight and a guy broke out an axe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom