• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5 Gameplay videos.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Game looks pretty good in motion, I'm digging that raft stage. Juggling still looks weird, but that looks weird in any 3D fighter.

What sets the DoA series apart from something like Virtua Fighter? The pace in DoA looks faster than VF5, but I see no special meters or anything that indicates some sort of special system or goofy stuff like ranged hadoukens and all that. Looks like straight up normal fighting.

Dantis

Game looks pretty good in motion, I'm digging that raft stage. Juggling still looks weird, but that looks weird in any 3D fighter.

What sets the DoA series apart from something like Virtua Fighter? The pace in DoA looks faster than VF5, but I see no special meters or anything that indicates some sort of special system or goofy stuff like ranged hadoukens and all that. Looks like straight up normal fighting.

It flows a lot more than other 3D fighters, and it has a counter system that can be used against any attack.

DR2K

Banned

DOA and VF share a lot of similar systems. DOA put a lot more focus on the arenas, some types of floors for example give you advantages. Slopes give you more height for combos, slipperly floors give you access to counter hit properties, etc. . . Knowing the arena can be incredibly advantagous.

DOA has power blow, at half life the bars glow red. You get access to a charge attack that does that slow motion cinematic move, you can choose the direction the enemy goes in.

The counter hold allows you to counter any move(4 different ones) and can be considered a comeback mechanic, somewhat, but it had its disadvantages.

It's also the most input leniant 3D fighter, so it's less about executing your moves and more knowing how to use them.

patapuf

Every character can counter.

Stages are a lot more interactive than in other 3d fighters.

Edit: DR2K said it better.

Airgetlam

Yeah, the stages in Dead or Alive are probably the best in any fighter, having multiple tiers, areas, and lots of interactivity. They're also pretty creative and nice to look at too.

seeing Jann-Lee sidestep around Hayate's elbow and get his back give me a tingly feeling

it3rgqcvLYAyV.gif

OMG Lisa has DA SHOUT OUT!!!

iMKs4aSYWrtKh.gif

you KNOW i had to GIF this shit!

i01vX7SzBgGZI.gif

louie

I'm really liking that Hayate can chain and cancel his new dashes from the alpha demo. Suddenly his doa5 incarnation makes a lot more sense. I think I'll main him.

you KNOW i had to GIF this shit!

i01vX7SzBgGZI.gif

Poor Eliot. His 236F+P couldn't even do that damage on HC and into an electric fence.

Shearie

Haven't played DOA since 2 and while I thought it was pretty fun, I always hated how easy it was to pull off counters. When me and my friends got good at the game it pretty much became a complete counterfest. I'm still a bit interested in DOA5 but I don't really care that much for it since I'm in complete fighting game heaven right now with VF5FS.

.la1n

Looks great, you can see influence of the VF team working with them. VF 5 FS is my number one 3D fighter at the moment, more games like it are welcome.

Dantis

What platform is everyone getting it for? I'm leaning toward PS3, because I think that will be more populated.

bumpkin

Snow stage!

The game looks fantastic. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – the character models are perfect.
The only thing I wish they'd do is make the ice on the ground behave like ice... The fighters' footing should be off, even if they just slide a little. Them moving as though they're standing on pavement makes it less believable. I know this likely wouldn't sit well with hardcore fighting game enthusiasts, but for a game that's clearly going for a more realistic aesthetic, you'd think that philosophy would apply to everything.

Otherwise the game looks utterly fantastic. Really looking forward to it!

dreamfall

La Mariposa looks fantastic! The in-air combo throw still is glorious. Pre-ordered PS3 CE, and I really can not waiiiit!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gorgeous game. Looking forward to it. I've always played DOA casually, but I think I'll try to go deeper into the mechanics this time around.

Endo Punk

The game is looking better and better every month, to think all this visual fidelity, stage/effects and animation is being achieved with 60FPS gameplay. Very nice.

Maybe this thread would get more replies if titled:

IGN goes "hands on" with Ayane's boob physics.

Think of the children!

Dantis

JEEZ, THANKS FOR IGNORING MY POST, GUYS.

Also, the hair and cloth physics are really impressive here. I wonder if they're using middleware? Leaps and bounds better than DOA 4's clip-fest.

Shadybiz

VF 5 FS is my number one 3D fighter at the moment, more games like it are welcome.

Dang it, I really need to play this. It's been downloaded for over a month now, and still haven't touched it.

I do love fighting games, but I never really have the time to put in the necessary lab-work.

Endo Punk

Also, the hair and cloth physics are really impressive here. I wonder if they're using middleware? Leaps and bounds better than DOA 4's clip-fest.
From my understanding PS3 version runs better and is the lead platform but 360 version could be as good by now. I'm going to get it on PS3 because I prefer dualshock tbh and I don't like fighting sticks.

sleepykyo

DoA4 was a 360 exclusive, it's most likely that a majority of the DoA crowd is going to be on that platform.

Skilletor

I'm getting it on both.

Like a boss.

DoA4 was a 360 exclusive, it's most likely that a majority of the DoA crowd is going to be on that platform.

I would be surprised if this was true. Didn't T6 sell pretty much the same on ps3/360 even though it's been pretty much a Playstation franchise.

Fighters this gen have been split pretty evenly for the most part on both consoles.

Top Bottom