• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5 Gameplay videos.

Skilletor

DOA4 introduced more obstacles and small areas. The fact that the damage you could get from a wall hit was dramatically reduced doesn't change the fact that the stage was *almost always present* as opposed to now where you have large open spaces with nothing to interact with. You're arguing a different point than the one I'm addressing (nevermind the fact that you agree about DOA2/3).

It does, though, since the obstacles were nothing more than a new stun in effect, since you always had the chance to counter out. In DoA3, there was a huge risk with your back to the wall. In DoA4, it was no more a risk than getting hit by any other attack.

I mean, I get what you're saying about stage size (nothing like the bridge, for example), but getting knocked into a wall, tree, etc, didn't really net you anything but more guessing. In that way, while the stages had the potential to mean something, they really didn't for that reason.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DOA's US VA work is... weird so far. It sounds more like a character re-imaging, rather than trying to find US actors who replicate the feel of their Japanese counterparts.

I rather like the stage designs so far, they seem to emphasize left / right positioning to maximize damage off wall blowbacks, rather than being a bunch of different sized rooms, areas with ceilings, and such. And no slippery sliding and such.

Streamlined events, but more impressive ones, when they happen. Not a horrible thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new church-like stage, though. Figuring out ways to Izuna drop out a stain-glass window was always excellent, heh.

Having said all that... No Kokoro in these vids! Good to see Brad back, he didn't look too bad to me, but I've kinda ignored him since 3...
Yeah, and it was awesome, because they were throwbock nostalgia stages (at least kyo and iori's were. I didn't recognize Mr K's).

Mr. Karate's was his stage from Art of FIghting 1.

Malajax

After playing a lot of VF5:FS, I can't tell if a lot of animations are basically ripped from VF or just representative of authentic fighting styles. For example, Hayate has a few moves that are just like Kage's. Bass has a few moves similar to Wolf's as well. Could be because of the VF influence. Just found that interesting.

Game looks good, but I don't think I can play yet another fighter without any real competition. Especially if the online is crap.

It does, though, since the obstacles were nothing more than a new stun in effect, since you always had the chance to counter out. In DoA3, there was a huge risk with your back to the wall. In DoA4, it was no more a risk than getting hit by any other attack.

I mean, I get what you're saying about stage size (nothing like the bridge, for example), but getting knocked into a wall, tree, etc, didn't really net you anything but more guessing. In that way, while the stages had the potential to mean something, they really didn't for that reason.
That's just it: Beyond stages having extremely unique designs in and of themselves, the fact that the object/wall hit means something again makes me even sadder they were dumped.

Skilletor

After playing a lot of VF5:FS, I can't tell if a lot of animations are basically ripped from VF or just representative of authentic fighting styles. For example, Hayate has a few moves that are just like Kage's. Bass has a few moves similar to Wolf's as well. Could be because of the VF influence. Just found that interesting.

Game looks good, but I don't think I can play yet another fighter without any real competition. Especially if the online is crap.

Unique to the style or fighting, I would imagine. I've noticed it across fighting games.

Dragunov and Bayman share similar attacks, for example.

That's just it: Beyond stages having extremely unique designs in and of themselves, the fact that the object/wall hit means something again makes me even sadder they were dumped.

Come on, DLC stages!

DOA4 introduced more obstacles and small areas. The fact that the damage you could get from a wall hit was dramatically reduced doesn't change the fact that the stage was *almost always present*
What DOA4 did was completely remove the fear of the wall. It's actually beneficial to you to get hit into the wall in DOA4.

If you got hit into the wall in DOA3, you staggered to the ground and couldn't do anything which gave your opponent an opportunity to launch and juggle you for massive damage.

If you got hit into the wall in DOA4, you stagger to the ground but can perform a counter hold at any time or stagger escape (stun shake) so fast that you get safely on the ground before you can get hit again. Now you're on the ground, more or less safe, and in a position to do one of three get-up kicks all of which have giant hit boxes and some invincibility.

You're arguing a different point than the one I'm addressing (nevermind the fact that you agree about DOA2/3).
No I'm not. You said that they're making the stages more boring to appeal to the tourney crowd, I talked about why the stages were dangerous and said "High level players knew this and were the ones to use the stages to their benefit."

No I'm not. You said that they're making the stages more boring to appeal to the tourney crowd, I talked about why the stages were dangerous and said "High level players knew this and were the ones to use the stages to their benefit."
What does being "dangerous" have to do with irregular stage design elements (tables/low barriers/ small spaces)? VF and Tekken took well-documented steps away from irregular stage design to appeal to tournament players and replaced them with more dangerous wall games. That doesn't change the fact that stages in all three series are now more "boring" from a *design standpoint* (although Tekken is slowly starting to liven things back up). Irregular stage elements and wall danger do not have to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Those vids were a bit depressing because of the repetition of characters but they serve the purpose of showing of better players of the game so I can't complain much.

I couldnt enter gaf yesterday to follow it here but man its good to be back (Glitched)

Vazra

I have a dinner date with my girlfriend. :(
jk :D

Hope it gets archived.

I think I saw it will be uploaded on youtube or something like it. If I find anything about it I'll let everyone know here.
Judging from their other tournament at E3 I'm surely it will end up on youtube. How fast will that be? There I don't really know.

For now leaving this link here unless there will be an official thread for that. http://en.twitch.tv/iplfighters

3PM - Doors Open; Casual Play
4PM - First Qualifying Pool (single elimination)
6PM - Second Qualifying Pool (single elimination)
8PM - Top 8 Finals (double elimination)

Not gameplay related but damn, nice glasses.

q7qqh.jpg

I think I saw it will be uploaded on youtube or something like it. If I find anything about it I'll let everyone know here.
Judging from their other tournament at E3 I'm surely it will end up on youtube. How fast will that be? There I don't really know.

For now leaving this link here unless there will be an official thread for that. http://en.twitch.tv/iplfighters

3PM - Doors Open; Casual Play
4PM - First Qualifying Pool (single elimination)
6PM - Second Qualifying Pool (single elimination)
8PM - Top 8 Finals (double elimination)
Thanks for posting this. Can't believe Vanessa and Kayane got out though. But where is Master in this tourney?!

Vazra

This tourney really did its work on selling the game and showing it wasnt playing like DOA4 all the time.

This tourney really did its work on selling the game and showing it wasnt playing like DOA4 all the time.

I really hope they replace kat as a commentator. She is worse than Adam Sessler in terms of commentating and I hope she isn't going to be the "to go to" commentator for DOA.

edit
NO PLEASE DON'T LEAVE MARKMAN! GOD DAMN IT

nothing worse than a flat commentator that can't even give out the correct information about the series of the game.

BadWolf

This tournament has been great so far.

At first I was going to go for Jan Lee (he was my fave in DOA1 and DOA2) but after this tourney I'm really interested in Rig, Hitomi and Tina.

I'm rooting for Rock Steady.

I really hope they replace vanessa as a commentator. She is worse than Adam Sessler in terms of commentating and I hope she isn't going to be the "to go to" commentator for DOA.

Kat is doing a pretty good job in this tournament I think.

Vazra

Is there... character customization?
Nope just that if you press certain combination you give items like glasses to the character or hairstyles changes.

I really hope they replace kat as a commentator. She is worse than Adam Sessler in terms of commentating and I hope she isn't going to be the "to go to" commentator for DOA.

edit
NO PLEASE DON'T LEAVE MARKMAN! GOD DAMN IT

nothing worse than a flat commentator that can't even give out the correct information about the series of the game.

Oh yeah the tournament is far from perfect. They should have had more consoles around to save up time with the controller changes and less time with the announcers since even when they say some interesting things at times at most they are doing filler which gets annoying and the lack of knowledge from Kat shows all over the place calling moves by different moves some grapples as counters etc.

Also X3 the units so players dont spend so much time changing controllers.

The game seems to play at a much higher pace than before so I hope that continues. I'm a *big* fan of the Chinese apartment stage, since it is exactly what I want to see from stages. And as much as I talk about DOA's strike animations, as a total package it can't be beat. Gorgeous in motion.

Hype levels cautiously rising.

Monocle

Good to see Brad Wong is back. I'm actually fine with the fact that they ditched his drink system. He looks like he'll still be a contender.

Also, dat Rig.

Tekken is not at all stylish.
Nonsense. TTT2's new tag combo system is the most stylish thing in any recent fighting game, by far. Insane fluid sequences of dynamic attacks. And regarding the cast, are you really going to tell me that characters like Yoshimitsu, Kunimitsu, Raven, Hwoarang, Lili, and Christie aren't stylish? Whatever. Watch some more videos and then we can talk.

sleepykyo

Do the counter blow moves have any visual effects? Just started watching and I'm not picking up on the DOA5 changes like buffed sidestep and counter blows.

Top Bottom