• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA5 Gameplay videos.

Endo Punk

I prefer 3D fighters but funny enough DOA started off as my least favourite, but 'least' makes it sound like I didn't like it which I absolutely did it's just Tekken, Soul Calibur and VF took priority. And now DOA has not only become my favourite 3D fighter it's my most anticipated game of the year.

Dantis

DOA has been my favourite fighter for years now. I don't care if DOAU and DOA4 were no good for competitive play, I had tremendous fun with their online modes, and am I right in thinking they set the structure for online which would later be used by all fighters (In terms of lobbies, grading for skill levels etc.)?

BadWolf

I prefer 3D fighters but funny enough DOA started off as my least favourite, but 'least' makes it sound like I didn't like it which I absolutely did it's just Tekken, Soul Calibur and VF took priority. And now DOA has not only become my favourite 3D fighter it's my most anticipated game of the year.

How close is it in play style to VF5? Does it also do the whole "turn based" fighting aspect?

That and the whole crouch jab thing didn't sit too well with me when I tried VF5.

Skilletor

How close is it in play style to VF5? Does it also do the whole "turn based" fighting aspect?

That and the whole crouch jab thing didn't sit too well with me when I tried VF5.

2p is weaker in DoA. They're unique by character and much slower. There's also the universal counter which would allow anybody getting too predictable to be punished.

I don't understand what you mean by turn based.

DOA has been my favourite fighter for years now. I don't care if DOAU and DOA4 were no good for competitive play, I had tremendous fun with their online modes, and am I right in thinking they set the structure for online which would later be used by all fighters (In terms of lobbies, grading for skill levels etc.)?

Set the structure? Yes.

Modern fighters still trying to catch up with the featureset of an OG xbox game? Yes.

Dantis

How close is it in play style to VF5? Does it also do the whole "turn based" fighting thing?

It's closer to VF5 in terms of fighting than it is to something like Tekken, but it flows a lot more. It doesn't have the whole 'trading blows' thing that other 3D fighters have.

this isn't *entirely* relevant but in the Lisa vs Ayane #1 video, Ayane starts the first 3 rounds off with a low punch. in the 1st round it hits, and in the 2nd and 3rd, it's countered. in the 4th round, Ayane starts the round with a low throw and gets a damage bonus! just thought that was a funny anecdote somewhat related to your post.

Doomshine

It's basically a simple explanation of how frames work in 3D fighters: If you get hit, don't press buttons. If you block something, it's your turn to attack e.t.c.

There's obviously exceptions to this but it's a decent idea to give to newer players.

patapuf

It's basically a simple explanation of how frames work in 3D fighters: If you get hit, don't press buttons. If you block something, it's your turn to attack e.t.c.

There's obviously exceptions to this but it's a decent idea to give to newer players.

It's a bit more dynamic than that in DOA since you can counter every move, there are also quite a few offensive throws.

DOA is more rock paper scissors than turnbased combat. Though they've been working on reducing guesswork in DOA 5

Skilletor

The only game that I can think of that's like this is SC4, lol. DoA4, as well...I suppose. Everything on block was at severe disadvantage in those two games.

There's actually a phrase for people who attack from disadvantage in VF. Abare? Something like that.

But, yeah, that's not really true of 3D fighters. Most good players will use things that leave them at advantage to press their offense.

Lovely videos. Game looks better every time I see it.

Does anyone know whether or not the pre-order swimsuits will be available as DLC?

My dilemma is that I main Tina and would like to have every available costume for her. GameStop and Amazon pre-orders both offer "bunny-style swimsuits", GameStop will grant you white swimsuits for Kasumi, Leifang, and Hitomi while Amazon offers black swimsuits for Christie, Tina, and Ayane.

I plan on getting the Collector's Edition (exclusive to Gamestop) but the pre-order bunny swimsuit for Tina is from Amazon. Hate this pre-order crap.

Doomshine

The only game that I can think of that's like this is SC4, lol. DoA4, as well...I suppose. Everything on block was at severe disadvantage in those two games.

There's actually a phrase for people who attack from disadvantage in VF. Abare? Something like that.

But, yeah, that's not really true of 3D fighters. Most good players will use things that leave them at advantage to press their offense.

Like I said, it's a simple way to look at frames. Then you add in the concept of trying to "steal" turns which can be attacking out of disadvantage, sidestepping, parrying e.t.c.

vocab

My biggest complaint is when someone gets juggled, their character model looks so lifeless. It's kind of jarring every time I see it.

Akito

Probably my most wanted game for the rest of the year, PS3 CE for me, I loathe playing Beat 'em up with the 360 controller.

BadWolf

2p is weaker in DoA. They're unique by character and much slower. There's also the universal counter which would allow anybody getting too predictable to be punished.

this isn't *entirely* relevant but in the Lisa vs Ayane #1 video, Ayane starts the first 3 rounds off with a low punch. in the 1st round it hits, and in the 2nd and 3rd, it's countered. in the 4th round, Ayane starts the round with a low throw and gets a damage bonus! just thought that was a funny anecdote somewhat related to your post.

It's closer to VF5 in terms of fighting than it is to something like Tekken, but it flows a lot more. It doesn't have the whole 'trading blows' thing that other 3D fighters have.

Thanks guys, I'll keep looking through match vids to see if its for me.

My biggest complaint is when someone gets juggled, their character model looks so lifeless. It's kind of jarring every time I see it.

I really dislike the juggle mechanic in general in 3D fighters. Keeping people up in the air with jabs and whatnot looks so silly (especially when they put so much work into the realism aspect).

Skilletor

Thanks guys, I'll keep looking through match vids to see if its for me.

I really dislike the juggle mechanic in general in 3D fighters. Keeping people up in the air with jabs and whatnot looks so silly (especially when they put so much work into the realism aspect).

IGN's youtube page has a bunch of vids, and more to come this weekend after a tournament. Should be able to find the E3 tourney which is a lot of matches.

xion4360

IGN's youtube page has a bunch of vids, and more to come this weekend after a tournament. Should be able to find the E3 tourney which is a lot of matches.

There will be another set of gameplay videos today and another tomorrow. Then saturday a tournament that will be streamed and eventually those matches will be on youtube as well, so we have tons of footage to look forward to.

The matches from the E3 build tournament are here!

Skilletor

There will be another set of gameplay videos today and another tomorrow. Then saturday a tournament that will be streamed and eventually those matches will be on youtube as well, so we have tons of footage to look forward to.

Thanks! I would've found the link, but posting from my phone. :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So good. Glad I preordered Collector's Edition (Ps3)

EDIT:Only missing tiny details for the OT but its pretty much done for most of the part.

BadWolf

Very nice matches, Vanessa was so good.

Watching the counter mechanic in action in those vids it really reminds me of the parry system from 3rd Strike. Exact same prediction, guessing, fishing etc. going on in those matches.

Really like the pace/flow of the game.

Skilletor

Very nice matches, Vanessa was so good.

Watching the counter mechanic in action in those vids it really reminds me of the parry system from 3rd Strike. Exact same prediction, guessing, fishing etc. going on in those matches.

Really like the pace/flow of the game.

There is a critical difference. When you hit your opponent in SF3, you get guaranteed damage, Your opponent has multiple chances to escape said damage even after the initial strike in DoA.

There is a critical difference. When you hit your opponent in SF3, you get guaranteed damage, Your opponent has multiple chances to escape said damage even after the initial strike in DoA.

This so much.

/It always felt like you never got a good reward in DOA for hitting your opponent. It was like "they made a mistake, I capitalize and hit them but they guess right on the next counter and I lose 30% health"

3rd strike was "I made the right read, now you lose 40% hp" or "I made the wrong read, now I lose 40% hp"

This keeps on looking better. Jann Lee and Bass Look like Power houses. I'm gonna have to give them A shot, especially Jann Lee XD

I plan on getting this on PS3 first. The fighting community is almost always much stronger from my experience and I prefer the controller for fighters. I'll probably end up getting the X360 version later to have another fighter on it though.

BadWolf

This so much.

/It always felt like you never got a good reward in DOA for hitting your opponent. It was like "they made a mistake, I capitalize and hit them but they guess right on the next counter and I lose 30% health"

3rd strike was "I made the right read, now you lose 40% hp" or "I made the wrong read, now I lose 40% hp"

That's great to hear.

I noticed it in the vids but wasn't sure if the system was like that or if the players weren't capitalizing properly.

DR2K

Banned

It the depends on the intial strike. If the initial strike put you in a limbo stun, then you will not be able to hold out of it and you can easily lose half your health for getting hit.

If you want to play DOA4s stun game and fish for CB you're more than welcome to, but you have other viable options to score damage depending on the character.

Skilletor

It the depends on the intial strike. If the initial strike put you in a limbo stun, then you will not be able to hold out of it and you can easily lose half your health for getting hit.

If you want to play DOA4s stun game and fish for CB you're more than welcome to, but you have other viable options to score damage depending on the character.

This is true, right now, for some characters, but I still see a lot of DoA4 in these vids. I don't think we saw more than one or two CBs in these vids, and very few sitdown stuns, no limbo stuns.

And even if all of that were commonplace, DoA is in a common state of flux and I wouldn't count on any of that being in at release. CBs have been made considerably worse since E3. Who knows what will change come the 25th.

Could be for the better, could be for the worse. DoA4 looked good before launch. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Still, I'm hopeful.

DR2K

Banned
This is true, right now, for some characters, but I still see a lot of DoA4 in these vids. I don't think we saw more than one or two CBs in these vids, and ver few sitdown stuns, no limbo stuns.

And even if all of that were commonplace, DoA is in a common state of flux and I wouldn't count on any of that being in at release. CBs have been made considerably worse since E3. Who knows what will change come the 25th.

Could be for the better, could be for the worse.

Still, I'm hopeful.

Old habits die hard. If you look at the Lisa vs Ayane video, Lisa had a few guaranteed options, but the player decided to mix up more regardless. With more character familarity and adjustment to the new system it would have been seen less and less.

Bass doesn't play the stun game at all. His goal is to pick you up and keep himself at advantage. Leifang used her holds to get her damage, she didn't really play the stun game either. That Jann didn't play the stun game much, but when he did it was out of his insanely fast stance. He was fishing for offensive holds, side steps, and his back punch string.

We're starting to see some real diversity in playstyles with the characters with each build that passes. Pretty exciting imo.

Vazra

They use different styles.

Brad wongs new hand stand stance looks nice!

I'm not crazy then yays.

Brad looks fun to use but something tells me he might be hard to use. I'll give everyone a spin in the end anyway to choose my mains.

DR2K

Banned
I'm not crazy then yays.

Brad looks fun to use but something tells me he might be hard to use. I'll give everyone a spin in the end anyway to choose my mains.

Brad Wong was especially hard to use because he had so many moves, but they were never really worth it to learn because he was never any good. Hopefully this changes.

Vazra

Brad Wong was especially hard to use because he had so many moves, but they were never really worth it to learn because he was never any good. Hopefully this changes.

I know he was never good enough but hopefully this time he is more easy to work with since I do like his style.

Dantis

Should I buy the Collector's Edition of this? I want to, but mostly for the art book. I wish they'd say how long it is. NG3's was only 50 pages. On the other hand, regardless of length, this is probably the only chance I'll ever get to get a DOA art book.

Vazra

Should I buy the Collector's Edition of this? I want to, but mostly for the art book. I wish they'd say how long it is. NG3's was only 50 pages. On the other hand, regardless of length, this is probably the only chance I'll ever get to get a DOA art book.

Hopefully more than 50. I like the idea of having the OST, Poster and Artbook. (DLC too and Special Casing is an extra)

Dantis

Hopefully more than 50.

It would be nice if it was as good as the one that came with The Witcher 2. That was over 200.

Not a chance of that happening though.

I also still want to know if that second rap from the trailer is original or licensed. If that was on the OST, that'd be cool.

Vazra

It would be nice if it was as good as the one that came with The Witcher 2. That was over 200.

Not a chance of that happening though.

I also still want to know if that second rap from the trailer is original or licensed. If that was on the OST, that'd be cool.

It has been said all original. No idea about the OST music since there is no details yet.

kyo27

Was the art book that came with Ninja Gaiden a full size art book or was it the size of a dvd case? From the looks of the collectors edition pics of DoA it looks like it will be a dvd case sized art book like mortal kombat.

Vazra

Was the art book that came with Ninja Gaiden a full size art book or was it the size of a dvd case? From the looks of the collectors edition pics of DoA it looks like it will be a dvd case sized art book like mortal kombat.

Unboxing

Seems like it. (check at 2:44)

Persona86

Banned
You know I don't even have a fighting game on my ps3. Yet next month I'm probably going to buy TTT2, Persona: Arena and this game DOA5.

Top Bottom