• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: now is a bad time for new IP, best wait for "spectacular" next gen consoles

onQ123

"The market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle"

"The time to launch an IP is at the front-end of the hardware cycle, and if you look historically the majority of new IPs are introduced within the first 24 months of each cycle of hardware platforms," Gibeau began. "Right now, we're working on three to five new IPs for the next gen, and in this cycle we've been directing our innovation into existing franchises.

"As much as there's a desire for new IP, the market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle," he added. "They end up doing okay, but not really breaking through."
Like all the big dogs, EA is frequently accused of knocking out incremental updates to established properties, but Gibeau feels forthcoming titles show the publisher at its most experimental. "If you look at what we're putting into Need For Speed: Most Wanted we're taking a lot of risks there, the same thing with Battlefield - you have to admit that, from Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 3, there's a huge amount of change there.

"But, if you look at the market dynamics, as much as there's a desire for new IP, the market doesn't reward new IP this late in the cycle; they end up doing okay, but not really breaking through. We have to shepherd the time that our developers spend, as well as the money that we spend on development in a positive way, so we're focused on bringing out a bunch of new IPs around the next generation of hardware."

"When you launch a new IP it needs to do something really, really remarkable, and that's easier to do when you have a new set of technology that gives you novel capabilities," Gibeau explained.

"This is the longest cycle that any of us have ever seen, and we're at the point where a little bit of fatigue has set in, and people are wondering what they can possibly do next. I've seen the machines that we're building games for, and they're spectacular."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/45534/ea-now-i...-best-wait-for-spectacular-next-gen-consoles/

When you launch a new IP it needs to do something really, really remarkable, and that's easier to do when you have a new set of technology that gives you novel capabilities...

Naughty Dog (The Last of Us) would like a word.

And the 'novel capabilities' statement is offset by the initially small user-base at launch.

Pranay

100%. I'm looking forward to it too but nothing about it screams 4+ million seller.

It will do Great.

GAF aside It already is one of the most hyped games on the internet without a release date.

Sony will market the hell out of it, next year.

Unless your a guy who visits only NPD threads lol

Jawmuncher

New IP's on new consoles helps though.
Hell thats what i say erally helped Dead Rising and Lost Planet.
Aside from their release windows during barren months.

stuart

Banned
But that means they should be developing new IP - the next-gen of hardware is about to begin with the launch of the Wii U.

pswii60

We'll see how The Last of Us sells and then send EA some nice crow pie.

Can people really not work this out?

Sony has completely different motives for releasing new IP this late in the generation. Titles like The Last of Us will hook people in to a new franchise, and they'll have to buy PS4 to play the sequels. It's the same reason why we saw God of War released so late in to the last generation.

Aegus

Maybe if you kept releasing new IPs through a console's life span the consumer would become to used to trying to major new IPs at any point. Instead of you know taking the easy option and adding a number to the end of a title.

heringer

But that means they should be developing new IP - the next-gen of hardware is about to begin with the launch of the Wii U.

Given all the interviews I'm reading, it looks like Nintendo's console won't be considered "next-gen", again.

Can people really not work this out?

Sony has completely different motives for releasing new IP this late in the generation. Titles like The Last of Us will hook people in to a new franchise, and they'll have to buy PS4 to play the sequels. It's the same reason why we saw God of War released so late in to the last generation.

A new IP is a new IP. EA could arguably do the same.

Pranay

So not selling 4million + is now considered BOMBA, how the industry have fallen.

If TLoU does 3 to 4 mill WW, i think it will be quite good for a new ip.

I think it will have long legs.

It´s logical, you can´t launch a new IP when games sales are falling month after month.

Big games will sell.

But i believe if your games are good [despite not being aa big franchise], and well marketed they will do quite good.

I hope Sleeping Dogs does well on NPD.

Derrick01

Banned
So not selling 4million + is now considered BOMBA, how the industry have fallen.

Pretty much. I'm sure Sony doesn't expect their best studio to put out games that barely break even, these kinds of games usually need 3-4 million at least after you include the marketing budget with the overall budget.

Then again it's Sony so there probably is no marketing budget!

onQ123

God of War says hello!

4120.jpg

God of War wasn't released until 2005 & the Gamecube & Xbox was already dropping out of the race.

Pyrrhus

The Last of Us might just be a creative pressure valve for the folks over at ND. I mean, they've done nothing but Uncharted since 2005 or 2006. Maybe the change in settings was needed to keep them happy/not crazy. The traditional wisdom has always been that it's easiest to launch new IP with new hardware since the player base is actively looking for new things. It doesn't mean new stuff can't sell, but it also doesn't mean EA is wrong to wait until the cycle starts fresh.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. I'm sure Sony doesn't expect their best studio to put out games that barely break even, these kinds of games usually need 3-4 million at least after you include the marketing budget with the overall budget.

Then again it's Sony so there probably is no marketing budget!

You think The Last of Us has an $80 million+ budget?

Haunted

Thanks Sony and MS for preventing third parties from giving us new IPs with your artificially prolonged hardware cycle.

I wish EA (and others) would've just gone ahead and made the awesome new IPs they want to make on the PC instead, where they have this spectacular hardware at their disposal, but who am I kidding.

Going to bomb.
Will sell as much as Uncharted 1.

pmj

There's a whole lot of crazy in this thread.

New IPs can sell late in a cycle, that much is obvious, but on average they sell less than early in a cycle. That's something EA has to take into consideration when choosing how to spend their money.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hopefully their new IPS are not :

1) Sports games
2) FPS games
3) Racing games

Maybe i'm hoping for too much.

marrec

Banned
There's a whole lot of crazy in this thread.

New IPs can sell late in a cycle, that much is obvious, but on average they sell less than early in a cycle. That's something EA has to take into consideration when choosing how to spend their money.

I thought this was a pretty obvious thing. You don't want to establish new IP with hardware this long in the tooth. And it's not like new hardware is releasing next month. With the exception of the WiiU we're still a year out from MS and Sony's next gen.

meta4

I was guessing 40-50 million without marketing.

I'm guessing that's not great. I remember people begging everyone to play that back when it came out since it was being ignored.

Uncharted sold over 5 million. Also Uncharted 2 and 3's budget was 25 million. Why would this be so much more?

God of War says hello!

4120.jpg

God of War wasn't released until 2005 & the Gamecube & Xbox was already dropping out of the race.

The original God of War only sold about 2.5 million copies. Very good for a new ip, but totally unacceptable for a modern tentpole release. It also released months before the 360 (as opposed to months after the Wii U) and almost a full two years before the PS3.

Top Bottom