• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: now is a bad time for new IP, best wait for "spectacular" next gen consoles

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
more consoles= more sales come on Ea do your maths

Am I on your ignore list or something?
Have you not seen any of my posts?

Late in a cycle any new IP is competing with thousands of other IPs that exist for the console
Towards the beginning you are only competing with a few.

Now if you sell well early, you become an established brand, making games down the line becomes that much easier because you are known.

Ill quote myself to help you understand:
Black_Stride said:
1 in 1000 chance of your game being noticed, and it can potentially sell 5 million units
1 in 50 chance of you game being noticed, and it can potentially sell 2 million units

One of these is riskier than the other.

This is a business decision that EA has made, of course there are exceptions like God of War which did really well late in the generation.....but there are more IPs that fail with their late cycle launch being a substantial contributing factor.

You wanna know why people didnt play Beyond Good & Evil......not because it was a bad game it was a 10er but because they didnt notice it, they had so many games in front of them it was just another game in the wind.
Wanna know why nearly every 360 owner knows Prey, because when it came out it was one of very very few shooters you could get....the fact that it was a good shooter just made it that much more memorable.

If Prey came out today, it would simply vanish in the sea of shooters.

Black_Stride

Oh you're so smart. Learn to read between the lines.
Its one line ;P

EA makes new IPs?
This generation alone:
APB - failed lol. No! sad actually
Dead Space
Crysis
Bullet Storm
Mass Effect - Yeah im giving it to EA
RockBand
Skate
Warp
Death Spank
Spore
Army of Two
Mirrors Edge
Dantes
Dragon Age
Brutal Legend
KoA: Reckoning
The Saboteur
Shadows of The Damned

I hope their next gen new IPs are as diverse as some of the shit they published this gen.

Derrick01

Banned
Its one line ;P

This generation alone:
APB - failed lol. No! sad actually
Dead Space
Crysis
Bullet Storm
Mass Effect - Yeah im giving it to EA
RockBand
Skate
Warp
Death Spank
Spore
Army of Two
Mirrors Edge
Dantes
Dragon Age
Brutal Legend
KoA: Reckoning
The Saboteur
Shadows of The Damned

I hope their next gen new IPs are as diverse as some of the shit they published this gen.

EA didn't make Rock Band, Mass Effect, KoA: Reckoning, Bulletstorm and probably some of those indie games. You don't get as much credit for publishing games and throwing them out to die.

Black_Stride

EA didn't make Rock Band, Mass Effect, KoA: Reckoning, Bulletstorm and probably some of those indie games. You don't get as much credit for publishing games and throwing them out to die.

You didnt read my Reason for editing did you?

But yeah you are right, still do we know for sure EA is talking about inhouse produced games or games they are publishing as well?
Ohh wait the guy i quoted specifically said "make" right.....ow well carry on.

Still EA bring us a lot of new IPs and i think people sell them short too many times.

jkanownik

Competition way back when wasnt quite a ruthless as it is today.

This has nothing to do with console transitions. It is a market condition independent of the cycle. I'm totally on board with this as an answer. It is possible that it no longer makes sense to release new IP on consoles due to the risk dynamics unless you're sure it can reach a mass audience.

And I don't get why you keep using Beyond Good & Evil as an example of a late cycle game. It was released in 2003 and was an 86 rated niche game. I find it really hard to believe that it would have performed any differently if it had been an ~85 rated niche game released in 2001 (ICO, Dark Cloud) or 2002 (Maximo,Rygar).

OryoN

So EA doesn't even view the U as a "next gen" system.

Rather, from the context, EA - as with many devs - is weary of this drawn out gen and really wants the next gen to get rolling. The comparisons being drawn were between this current gen and the next. It's true that Wii U is the official start of the next cycle, but for big pulishers who wish to release next-gen games across multiple platform, it doesn't benefit EA if the other next-gen consoles aren't here yet.

It seems EA is anxious for the realease of the other next-gen consoles so they can target games across next-gen hardware, including Wii U. That's the business model they live by. Targeting Wii U, right now, with new IPs they have planned for next-gen would only make them, by nature, time-exclusive to Wii U, and hurt potential sales on PS4/XBox8 as they won't seem as fresh by then.

We know how EA operates(targets multiplatform when possible), and we know Wii U is next-gen-ready, feature wise. I wouldn't read that as some kind of diss to Nintendo's console.

Come on, Sony & MS... let's get this joint popping!

Yuripaw

Banned
God of War says hello!

4120.jpg

God of War wasn't released until 2005 & the Gamecube & Xbox was already dropping out of the race.

Exactly what I was gonna say...plus Shadow of the Colossus was also the same year I believe.

Sid

Rather, from the context, EA - as with many devs - is weary of this drawn out gen and really wants the next gen to get rolling. The comparisons being drawn were between this current gen and the next. It's true that Wii U is the official start of the next cycle, but for big pulishers who wish to release next-gen games across multiple platform, it doesn't benefit EA if the other next-gen consoles aren't here yet.

It seems EA is anxious for the realease of the other next-gen consoles so they can target games across next-gen hardware, including Wii U. That's the business model they live by. Targeting Wii U, right now, with new IPs they have planned for next-gen would only make them, by nature, time-exclusive to Wii U, and hurt potential sales on PS4/XBox8 as they won't seem as fresh by then.

We know how EA operates(targets multiplatform when possible), and we know Wii U is next-gen-ready, feature wise. I wouldn't read that as some kind of diss to Nintendo's console.

Come on, Sony & MS... let's get this joint popping!
Nope http://www.destructoid.com/ea-president-next-gen-is-coming-in-about-a-year-s-time--234066.phtml

Raoh

Translation:

We have some great games ready to go, but we are not releasing them until we can get a check from microsoft or sony or both upon next gen console releases.

Madden 14 confirmed.

Lost Planet/Dead Rising were overhyped. I though DR was ok but not this amazing game people made it out to be. LP was just boring. I think their success had to do with the XBOX not having a library to bring over from the original xbox, only forza, fable and halo made it from their previous gen so they needed EA and cut checks to Take Two/SE.

Next Gen? Not so much... XBOX is in a better place.

Seems like EA is hoping for new system hype to sell games instead of games selling systems.

Lost Planet/Dead Rising were overhyped. I though DR was ok but not this amazing game people made it out to be. LP was just boring. I think their success had to do with the XBOX not having a library to bring over from the original xbox, only forza, fable and halo made it from their previous gen so they needed EA and cut checks to Take Two/SE.

That and they looked like next gen games and not just PS2 up ports.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

To be fair, Bulletstorm's credits suggest that EA had Danger Close do a fair amount of development on that game.

Am I on your ignore list or something?
Have you not seen any of my posts?

Late in a cycle any new IP is competing with thousands of other IPs that exist for the console
Towards the beginning you are only competing with a few.

Now if you sell well early, you become an established brand, making games down the line becomes that much easier because you are known.

Ill quote myself to help you understand:

This is a business decision that EA has made, of course there are exceptions like God of War which did really well late in the generation.....but there are more IPs that fail with their late cycle launch being a substantial contributing factor.

You wanna know why people didnt play Beyond Good & Evil......not because it was a bad game it was a 10er but because they didnt notice it, they had so many games in front of them it was just another game in the wind.
Wanna know why nearly every 360 owner knows Prey, because when it came out it was one of very very few shooters you could get....the fact that it was a good shooter just made it that much more memorable.

If Prey came out today, it would simply vanish in the sea of shooters.

good point, but fuck EA they are now just milking their franchises *cough need for speed* and making shit games. We shouldn't care what that company says anyway. If a game is good it will sell.

Black_Stride

LPs campaign might not have been the most interesting, heck id call it slightly insane with the whole Zone of Enders shit towards the end.

But the MP was pretty damn fun, it was fun enough that when colonies came out, i double dipped it was one of my first X360 multiplayer experiences and its still one of the most unique experiences out there, your health constantly going down is a different take on the usual online shooter riff raff, bring in Mechs and Im sold.

That and it to this day has some of the best looking explosions in gaming.(note i havent played the game in a long time)
Just thinking about it makes me so nostalgic.

Top Bottom