• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: now is a bad time for new IP, best wait for "spectacular" next gen consoles

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This doesn't make any sense. Isn't EA releasing a new IP with Insomniac Games soon?

EA partners. Overstrike is a big question mark and I think Insomniac will find their true worth to the overall industry with that game. Hard to beat Borderlands 2 though (same genre).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think the poster misunderstood my question. I should have clarified, "at the end of a generational cycle" but I thought that was the whole point of the thread.

So, there isn't good evidence to support that new IP can launch "late in the game" and sell spectacularly well. It is what it is. God of War was the exception, not the rule.

I do hope that The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls will sell well to be additional exceptions.

Im pretty sure 1st party titles have a much easier job becoming exceptions than 3rd party, so dont worry too much about The Last of Us.
Beyond Two Souls wont get a sequel anyway so that doesnt matter.
David Cage probably wants to show off something else for the PS4 next gen.

Because it's a lot harder when you're competing against hundreds of other already established franchises. An Xbox 360 owner is more likely to pick up the next Call of Duty game instead of a new relatively unknown game, likewise a PS3 owner is likely to pick up a new Uncharted game instead of some new relatively unknown game.

Now you have Xbox 720 and PS4 with a slim library to choose from at launch and users hungry to try anything will more than likely purchase a relatively unknown franchise that may turn out to be amazing but would've probably been overlooked while floating in the sea of Call of Duty's, Uncharted, Assassin Creeds's, etc.

If i could give you a hug through the screen i would.
Have a heart instead ❤!

New IPs have a much easier time early because established brands dont have an Oligopoly yet.
Look at Prey an otherwise unknown dev releases a game and essentially gets free marketing because its one of like 3 shooters you can get on Xbox 360, if you went to a shop looking for a 360 shooter Prey always stared you in the face.

Note Prey was considered a success but by todays standards people would have said it bombed....early in a cycle a few million is gold.

The problem is that development costs have skyrocketed since the release of the 360 so it's impossible to compare sales then to sales now.

Unless the buying frenzy that will come with the XBox720 has increased proportionally to the development cost of games...

Only time will tell.
But i think the frenzy will be just as crazy.

Back then it was HD 720p graphics.

These new consoles are almost guaranteed to be pushing 1080p....so now its hey you know that 1080p TV of yours...its time you finally pushed it to the limit, welcome Full HD graphics!!
Those Full HD tags from yesteryear are making a comeback YEAHHH!! but i digress.

Consider this, next gen consoles launch you buy one because you are an early adopter.
But none of the IPs you know and love have nextgen version yet....what do you do?
You buy whatever is on the shelf that looks good....if you and the devs are lucky, the game is good.

I think a good way to say it is consumers are more adventurous towards the beginning of a cycle than towards the end.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think a good way to say it is consumers are more adventurous towards the beginning of a cycle than towards the end.

well thats certainly a polite way of saying it. Or you could just say they have little choice and will buy almost anything. and if its good they'll come back for more.

2MF

Don't hold your breath waiting for "spectacular next-gen consoles". I've seen nothing that indicates they'll be spectacular.

Hindle

Banned
I would say every single studio is working on new IP at the moment, all for the early years of the next gen. Launching them for the PS3 or 360 wouldn't generate that much hype IMO but launching them for the next generation will which would lead to more sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's partners, they don't own the IP, so they don't care.

I'm surprised Ubisoft would agree though, given they claim they're launching Watch Dogs on PS360 as well.

I'm assuming they consider a cross generation title to be "next-gen" at the same time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There are obviously exceptions, but I don't think they are completely off base. Releasing a new IP early on in a console cycle can really shine a lot on it.

marrec

Banned

We have almost zero information on Fuse comparatively and certainly no release date yet. Again though, there are exceptions to the rules and even if one dude at EA says 'It's generally a bad idea to release new IP at the end of a 7 year console cycle' that does not preclude a partner from continuing with an established plan.

Coolwhip

Banned
well thats certainly a polite way of saying it. Or you could just say they have little choice and will buy almost anything. and if its good they'll come back for more.

Yes but will it sell 80 to 1 more? (if you assume a console has 80 million sold now and 1 million at the start) I highly doubt it.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I would say every single studio is working on new IP at the moment, all for the early years of the next gen. Launching them for the PS3 or 360 wouldn't generate that much hype IMO but launching them for the next generation will which would lead to more sales.

I disagree. It depends on where they're at in the dev cycle. The PS360 still has about another year or so in it's lifecycle and we'll see new games comes out all the way up until the end. Hell they're still making PS2 games...

marrec

Banned
I disagree. It depends on where they're at in the dev cycle. The PS360 still has about another year or so in it's lifecycle and we'll see new games comes out all the way up until the end. Hell they're still making PS2 games...

You mean, they're still porting established sports franchises to PS2.

I totally disagree. Sony and MS will both have their big IPs there very early, and of course we'll see CoDs and ACs from the get go. It will be exactly the same as now.

That "ect." was meant to be VERY long, we're talking about hundreds of other games to choose from as opposed to a limited list of launch games, and regardless if there are some established franchises, they will be starved for the next "Next-Gen" title.

That is the answer buddy, you can continue to not see it but it's just that simple, less competition in a starved for next gen market means your title is much more likely to get impulse bought instead of... hmmm.... I have these 10 other RPG options, let me check Metacritic and see which one to get...

Madn

Don't hold your breath waiting for "spectacular next-gen consoles". I've seen nothing that indicates they'll be spectacular.

That's because they're not talking about next generation. They're talking about the one that follows

marrec

Banned
That "ect." was meant to be VERY long, we're talking about hundreds of other games to choose from as opposed to a limited list of launch games, and regardless if there are some established franchises, they will be starved for the next "Next-Gen" title.

That is the answer buddy, you can continue to not see it but it's just that simple, less competition in a starved for next gen market means your title is much more likely to get impulse bought instead of... hmmm.... I have these 10 other RPG options, let me check Metacritic and see which one to get...

I wonder how well Nier would have sold if it had released in 2006-7...

Black_Stride

I totally disagree. Sony and MS will both have their big IPs there very early, and of course we'll see CoDs and ACs from the get go. It will be exactly the same as now.

The same as now?
Maybe you underestimate how diluted the market is, go to any gameshop and look at how many different games are up there, look at all the genres.

You are saying within the first year we will have a level of dilution equal to now?
Thats preposterous.

Note, that just because a game is months old doesnt mean its still not a viable option for consumers, if you released a shooter in July, you were still competing with CoD from last November at the store.

If Next Gen CoD only comes out November 2014, and next gen consoles come out November 2013...as a new shooter IP or whatever you essentially have a year of competition free shelf space.

New IPs wont have any established brands to fight againsts, and if you are trying something adventurous there is a greater chance of you getting noticed when your game takes up 1 out of 12 rows as opposed to one out of 48 spots.

Im hoping Sony and MSs first party titles for the first 48 months will actually all be brand new....then ill be ready for the next Halo and God Of War.

I've seen nothing that indicates they'll be spectacular.
I've seen nothing

I decided to cut out the bullshit.

Zee-Row

Banned
How is it risky to make new ips on platforms with established user bases over new platforms with a user base starting over? Doesn't make sense to me.

marrec

Banned
How is it risky to make new ips on platforms with established user bases over new platforms with a user base starting over? Doesn't make sense to me.

Because those platforms also have established IPs that people are expecting and playing that will make those companies far more money then any new IP could dream of. Now is the best time to be baking a new IP.

Imagine this:

You release a new and innovative RPG now and it sits next to every other Green and White box on the shelf with the same Anime styled cover as every other RPG release in the last 5 years OR you can release it in 2013-14 and it'll have a fancy new RED and white cover and sit next to nothing that is even remotely comparable in the market.

Black_Stride

1 in 1000 chance of your game being noticed, and it can potentially sell 5 million units
1 in 50 chance of you game being noticed, and it can potentially sell 2 million units

One of those is riskier than the other.

RooMHM

Fuck you EA. All people want nowadays are remakes and HD versions of old games anyways. New IPs should be the norm and sequels the exception.

Black_Stride

:/ if you followed the link you'd see GoW Collection listed separately with 2.4 million sold. Can the games be downloaded separately on PSN? If so, the number would be so small as to be irrelevant.

Ahh my mistake....shit 4 million, ok thats impressive for a new IP.

ExReey

Well I guess I can look forward to 3+ new IPs from EA next gen. Ha.

Making an educated guess for the 3 new EA IP's:

1. Fighter of Wars
2. Modern War Soldiers
3. Company of Battle Fighters

Looking forward to it.

On a more serious note:

does NPD include digital sales, like Steam?

Fox Mulder

they will be spectacular because only EA and Activision will be able to afford developing AAA games for them.

I agree with him for the most part. Of course there are always exceptions but it's normally really risky to start a new ip this late in a console generation

KageMaru

1 in 1000 chance of your game being noticed, and it can potentially sell 5 million units
1 in 50 chance of you game being noticed, and it can potentially sell 2 million units

One of those is riskier than the other.

Stop it, just stop. Your logic has no place for this thread. =p

Been agreeing with everything you've been posting. =)

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty much.

This is basically the reason why MS doesn't have any new (core) retail IPs for the 360. The system is on its way out... tons of "AAA" games (first and third party) are coming for the system's last year. A new IP would more than likely just get overlooked.

Fox Mulder

more consoles= more sales come on Ea do your maths

or more people waiting for bargain bin/used games. People that buy into a console early will buy the games that are out. I have a huge backlog on the 360 and haven't bought a new release at $60 since Skyrim.

marrec

Banned
Pretty much.

This is basically the reason why MS doesn't have any new (core) retail IPs for the 360. The system is on its way out... tons of "AAA" games (first and third party) are coming for the system's last year. A new IP would more than likely just get overlooked.

Well and people seem to be ignoring the PSN/XBLA market when talking about new IPs. Sure we're not getting any $60 disk based innovation but in the indie/DD market we get something fresh and new almost weekly.

Pakkidis

EA *IS* right in this regard. They are not the only publisher to believe this as well.

Consumers are more willing to buy a new IP with a new console rather than late in a console's life cycle.

Not to mention that it is a lot easier to develop a brand image with a new IP in the beginning of a console's life cycle than at the end of it.

A lot of the examples some of you said, last of us, god of war etc are the exceptions, not the norm. They are also owned IP's by 1st party publishers, ie Sony, Nintendo.

These guys look at the numbers and stats, releasing a new IP in the late console cycle is pretty risky. A lot of new IP's also have to compete with the already established games. It DOES however have some advantages, mainly, larger install base, some gamers looking for something new etc.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't know why people think EA is wrong about this when they have generations worth of data to back up their point. I'm sure they have average ROI charts for new IP by year, and I'm sure those charts show better returns early on in a console life cycle.

Kind of get a chuckle out of people thinking companies this size are run by some guy throwing darts at a dartboard.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well and people seem to be ignoring the PSN/XBLA market when talking about new IPs. Sure we're not getting any $60 disk based innovation but in the indie/DD market we get something fresh and new almost weekly.

But those aren't real games.

;)

(haha; so silly how people still stereotype games based on distribution... will more than likely get better though next gen as more games become DD)

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know why people think EA is wrong about this when they have generations worth of data to back up their point. I'm sure they have average ROI charts for new IP by year, and I'm sure those charts show better returns early on in a console life cycle.

Kind of get a chuckle out of people thinking companies this size are run by some guy throwing darts at a dartboard.
They can only have data that exists, if they don't launch new IPs at the end of the generation, they can't know how they perform.

And I wouldn't trust 'generations' of data, buying trends are different now than ten years ago I would imagine.

jkanownik

I can't figure out if this reasoning is correct or not. There are so many variables that come into play that is would be very easy to make the numbers say whatever you want. It is easy to point at games released at the end of the cycle that under-performed, but how can you be sure they would have sold better earlier in the cycle?

Here's a pair of titles that makes me question whether timing in the cycle really matters for initial success:

ICO - 2001
Shadow of the Colossus - 2006

There are also these later cycle games to consider:
Rainbow Six - 1998 (late N64)
Medal of Honor - 1999 (late PS1)
Tony Hawk 1 - 1999 (late PS1)
Call of Duty Finest Hour - 2004 (late PS2)

Bgamer90

Banned
I can't figure out if this reasoning is correct or not. There are so many variables that come into play that is would be very easy to make the numbers say whatever you want. It is easy to point at games released at the end of the cycle that under-performed, but how can you be sure they would have sold better earlier in the cycle?

Here's a pair of titles that makes me question whether timing in the cycle really matters for initial success:

ICO - 2001
Shadow of the Colossus - 2006

2012: Bigger game budgets, fewer consoles sold.

Much more of a risk in comparison to previous gens.

Pranay

I'm looking forward to the game, but I echo people's thoughts on The Last of Us. Sony 1st party games just don't set the world on fire. Battlefield 3 alone probably outsold all of the Uncharteds put together...which is just kind of sad. =x

No one is waiting on pins and needles for Sony 1st party exclusives.

BF3 sold how much ? 12 million isnt it ?

Uncharted Series is 17

and im Pretty UC3 will be atleast 5 to 6 which is good for a exclusive franchise

KAL2006

Banned
Sony if doing a good job:
Last of Us
Beyond
Puppeteer
Until Dawn
Tearaway
Soul Sacrifice

Also some other New IP from other publishers:
Fuse
Watch Dogs
Remember Me

Black_Stride

Its not about being sure, its about being less risky.
There is no way to be sure a game will sell well early or late.
EA is simply saying it is less risky to start an IP at the start of a new generation than at the end of a generation.
Waiting a few month to not only release but also polish a new IP is much less risky than hoping your IP will somehow standout against the thousands of games that are already out

Rainbow Six - Was successful on PS which was still going strong so that doesnt count
Medal of Honor - Was an exceptional game
Tony Hawk Pro Skater - There was nothing else like it, exceptional
Call of Duty - Not a new IP

Competition way back when wasnt quite a ruthless as it is today.

Naughty Dog (The Last of Us) would like a word.

And the 'novel capabilities' statement is offset by the initially small user-base at launch.

Before you say anything like this why don't you wait till the game is officially released. For all you know, It will get pushed back to a PS4 launch title.

Top Bottom