• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: now is a bad time for new IP, best wait for "spectacular" next gen consoles

EagleEyes

Uncharted sold over 5 million. Also Uncharted 2 and 3's budget was 25 million. Why would this be so much more?
Do you realize how much the first and second Uncharteds were bundled in order to get those sales numbers? I dont think the Last of Us is going to get the same treatment as it will be a mature rated title.

KageMaru

It really is an odd time for publishers to launch new IPs. On one hand they have this huge install base to sell to now, but the library is so full now, it's harder to be recognized from the pack without a huge marketing budget.

Naughty Dog (The Last of Us) would like a word.

It's an exclusive, which earns it more attention, plus it'll likely be marketed well. There are some new IPs that will do well late this gen, but there are more examples of new IPs now being released that get lost in the sea of games out there.

Derrick01

Banned
Do you realize how much the first and second Uncharteds were bundled in order to get those sales numbers? I dont think the Last of Us is going to get the same treatment as it will be a mature rated title.

Yeah I was going to say U1 definitely didn't do that well until after it was slashed a ton and then bundled with the more successful 2.

Like I said I remember game media people begging gamers to play 1, like they did with Ico. The game couldn't even get gamers' attention back then let alone the regular market.

I agree with EA here. Major cash-in's on the final season of this console cycle would be wise. Bioshock, GTA5, Assassins Creed 3, etc., these should all do pretty well in the next 6 - 12 months.

Also, God of War isn't a great example. GoW came out in March 2005, some 18-months before the PS3 came out. If EA were looking to come out with a new IP, the earliest possible release would be summer 2013, which would be right around the hype cycle for the next gen (unless you believe that Wii U is the next gen, not getting into that argument though).

Uncharted 2 was bundled?

jsKLV.jpg

SykoTech

Between TLoU and Puppeteer, I guess Sony didn't get the memo.

But the Wii U comes out this Fall, so now should be the perfect time for next gen consoles. Right?

Oh wait, "spectacular". I guess Wii U doesn't count then.

marrec

Banned
It's practically a Metal Gear game, hardly niche.

It's a Metal Gear game starting Nathan Drake with Zombies! It's bound to sell truckloads!

In all honesty I'd be very surprised if it sold gangbusters, it doesn't convey itself very well without massive marketing. I don't think there will be massive marketing.

Hindle

Banned
It's practically a Metal Gear game, hardly niche.

It's very story centric, the emotion in the story is what Sony hope will make it sell. The mass market have little interest in that.

Plus look at how Enslaved faired, similar kinds of games.

marrec

Banned
It's very story centric, the emotion in the story is what Sony hope will make it sell. The mass market have little interest in that.

Enslaved is no where close to TLOS from a consumer stand-point. Last of Us is actually MORE impenetrable than Enslaved was.

sublimit

Banned

The production values of Enslaved and The Last of Us seem to be vastly different though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dunno about you but after a 7 Year cycle. Next gen starts with Wii U.

For some(most?) people, next-gen = big jump in graphics compared to current gen. Nothing else matter. And for those same people, Wii U is just many years too late.

StuBurns

Banned
The proof is in software sells. You can't argue that.
People are still rewarding the fresh and exceptional. Journey is the best selling game on PSN, because it's amazing.

People aren't buying the sixth Need for Speed this generation? Shocking. I don't think we have console fatigue, we have stale fatigue. We typically get a hot injection of radness with the new systems, but the systems themselves are only partially responsible for that, the publishers hold back towards the end of the generation.

Enslaved is garbage, that's probably something to do with it.

L1NETT

I agree with EA. Sales are at a all time low. People are ready to move on to New consoles.

I agree. Sales are low because in all honesty, there are not that many games.

Consumers are waiting for next gen games, and developers are waiting for next gen consoles.

E3 2013 *should* be one of the best in recent years. Unless Usher performs a whole set ;-)

marrec

Banned
People are still rewarding the fresh and exceptional. Journey is the best selling game on PSN, because it's amazing.

People aren't buying the sixth Need for Speed this generation? Shocking. I don't think we have console fatigue, we have stale fatigue. We typically get a hot injection of radness with the new systems, but the systems themselves are only partially responsible for that, the publisher hold back towards the end of the generation.

You cannot compare PSN to the physical ($60) market. The consumer base is completely different.

hyduK

Banned
Let's see how many of those will hit Wii U. It's baffling how many companies are completely ignoring it. If they're wrong they're fucked.

Well judging by the way he's wording it they're waiting for the new technology...so logically Wii U wouldn't be getting them.

I'm sure God of War bombed hard on PS2 right?

But we'll get some new IPs on next gen consoles, that's good news!!

God of War is the exception, not the rule, not many games can be as successful as God of War, but when you launch a new franchise on a new system where people are hungry for anything that runs on the new hardware, you have a much better chance in a market with much less competition.

hyduK

Banned
Which a lot of posters will be disappointed. The gap between Wii u and ps720 will not be the same as the gap we had with Wii and ps360.

I'd be willing to bet it is.

It might not all be visual, but the difference in overall power will be comparable. The Wii was last gen in more ways than just graphics....it extended to online, storage methods, DD, etc.

People aren't buying the sixth Need for Speed this generation? Shocking. I don't think we have console fatigue, we have stale fatigue. We typically get a hot injection of radness with the new systems, but the systems themselves are only partially responsible for that, the publishers hold back towards the end of the generation.

Gamers do have console fatigue, I certainly do. There are tons of game I've wated but decided not to get them cause I'm tiresd of long loading times, low resolution, tons of jaggies on my screen. Especially after playing the pc version of alot of these games.

I never said good games can't be made on the current systems, what I am saying people are ready to move on and software sales have spoken.

StuBurns

Banned
Indeed, if it's budget is inline with an Uncharted, a reasonable marketing effort will have it comfortably in the black past 1.5M units.
I never said good games can't be made on the current systems, what I am saying people are ready to move on and software sales have spoken.
I know what you said, I said I don't agree. I don't believe software sales are a result of the consoles, but the software.

marrec

Banned
I can't compare them because there is nothing fresh and quality in the physical market, because people aren't making them.

It's easier to invest a money into an innovative game if it's smaller and less expensive. It's also easier for a game to BE innovative if it's smaller and less expensive. The indie market (which is what, ostensibly, PSN/XBLA emulate) will naturally have more exciting and fresh products because you have so many more people making those games. To say EA should just do what that game company is doing and release something cool and fresh is disingenuous because they aren't mobile enough to take a gamble like that and get away with it if it bombs.

That's WHY we have PSN/XBLA, so companys can gamble without getting burning for tens of millions of dollars. (Bombas notwithstanding)

I'd be willing to bet it is.

It might not all be visual, but the difference in overall power will be comparable. The Wii was last gen in more ways than just graphics....it extended to online, storage methods, DD, etc.

What you wanna bet?

PS720 aren't going to be just gaming consoles and from all the reports and rumors I've read, I have yet to hear anything significant next gen mind blowing power. Yea they will have good gaming hardware but to claim a gap like we had this gen. I highly doubt it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Naughty Dog (The Last of Us) would like a word.
And the 'novel capabilities' statement is offset by the initially small user-base at launch.
God of War says hello!
God of War wasn't released until 2005 & the Gamecube & Xbox was already dropping out of the race.
We'll see how The Last of Us sells and then send EA some nice crow pie.

Did you fos not read the article?

He said New IPs need to be remarkable to succeed late in a cycle.
You clowns counter points are:

God of War - Remarkable
The Last Of Us - Tentatively Remarkable(whether it sells well is as of yet unknown)
Sleeping Dogs - Remarkable

He then said its easier at the beginning of a cycle
Again this is true, you look at how many new IPs succeed because they launch early in a cycle id say its higher than those that launch late. Still taking into account the remarkable IPs that succeed late in a cycle.

Beyond God of War list the new IPs that launched in 2004 or 2005 that truly succeeded?
And before you say Killzone, Killzone was marketed to death and KZ2 was pretty much a given regardless Sony needed a first party FPS series.

Now let me list some good IPs that didnt go anywhere:
  • Psychonauts
  • Jade Empire
  • SW: Republic Commando
  • Dark Corners of the Earth
  • Beyond Good & Evil

You guys need to read the article and really think about it before jumping at Gibeaus' throat, everything he said is true.....so whats the problem?
Makes sense to me.

Its pretty logical i dont understand why people think he is wrong and are simply reiterating what he is saying....it takes really remarkable IPs to succeed late in a cycle.
And its easier to start an IP towards the beginning of a cycle.....its logical

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Crystal Balls all up in this thread.

I'd say he is more correct than a lot here throwing out one example of a game that isn't coming out for another year. Its far better to release a new IP at the beginning of the generation rather than the moonlight of one. Which is basically what he is stating.
"When you launch a new IP it needs to do something really, really remarkable, and that's easier to do when you have a new set of technology that gives you novel capabilities," Gibeau explained."

Top Bottom