• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowgate Kickstarter

-Steam Greenlight page up - vote vote vote! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189989799
-Kickstarter ended succesfully. May still be available via paypal, see here : http://www.zojoi.com/shadowgate_campaign.htm
-FUNDED! Huzzah.
-Stretch goal 1 (130k) attained!
-Gaffer Ooccoo has had an interview with him here

----edit

Original post:

...has just popped up:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate

This is what I was hoping for when they went for those remastered Sherlock holmes adventures earlier in the year. Still have fond memories of playing the NES version twenty odd years ago.

Nimajneb

A remake? I was really hoping for a new game. But at least something's happening with Shadowgate, maybe we will see a sequel if this does well.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm in Kickstarter funding mood again, but sadly this not the type of game I'm interested in. Are there any other interesting Kickstarter projects (gaming or not) that popped up recently?

RPGCrazied

I grew up with this game, so this might be my first game I back, though I hate putting money forth with no product. Has any kickstarter game been released yet?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
It includes the NES soundtrack. I'm in.

Never realized how important that music was to the atmosphere until I played the computer versions later, and they just seemed so empty by comparison. I wish they'd do the whole "book writing" text display style of the NES version. All of the other ones just dump text on the screen. And the warping screen transitions. They're subtle effects, but again, they really add to the atmosphere.

Pledged at the early bird tier. Loved the old ICOM games just fine, but I have to say that I am a little bit disappointed with the early look at the new one. I always imagined a hand-drawn and -painted look for a new one if it retained the static screen approach. Also, I agree about focus on music since the NES one had a memorable set of tunes to work through the game with. Not sure how the once-through gameplay will hold up in the modern-day gaming environment with so many options to find solutions so easily and instantaneously, so I do hope they've added multiple solutions to many challenges as well as randomized or procedurally-generated puzzle setups and encounters.

terrisus

I've been a huge fan of the Shadowgate franchise since I first came across the NES original. It was due to the video store down the street from me during the NES days, which only had about 30 or so NES games for rent, but I basically ended up going through and renting every day they had multiple times, and am so glad for that opportunity, since there are so many games that I never would have come across or chosen to play, such as Shadowgate, that I did thanks to their selection in that store. From the first time I rented it, I fell in love.

Since then I have continued to be in love with the Shadowgate franchise, and gotten everything to do with it and done everything I could with it. I've written guides for the NES, GBC, and N64 versions of Shadowgate, just to give me something else to do with the games. I've also purchased Beyond Shadowgate for the TurboDuo years back, for like $120, despite still not having gotten around to purchasing a TurboDuo to play it on. One of these days I really need to, but, at least I have the game sitting there as well.

Since the release of the N64 game, the series has had some issues. There had been a follow-up for N64 planned, Shadowgate Rising, which had a comic on the old shadowgate.com website for it as well, but which ended up getting cancelled due to the poor reception to the original N64 one. After that, Kemco had announced plans to use the Shadowgate name for some Cellphone strategy game, using the name but which looked nothing at all like the previous games, and was disappointing enough on its own, but then it ended up getting cancelled and not even being released anyway, and after that the franchise just kind of faded away and disappeared.

In the years since then, everything to do with Shadowgate just kind of disappeared. No plans for other games, no discussion about the franchise, no idea at all who even held the rights to it or if they were ever planning on doing anything with it again. Which was really discouraging, after everything that had been done with the franchise, and how amazing the games were, to think that it might just fade away.

So, when I heard that Dave Marsh and Karl Roelofs had reacquired the rights to this franchise and were planning on doing something with it again, I was overjoyed. I'm so glad that these two still have the same passion about this franchise that they have for years, and are working to ensure that the franchise stays alive and well. I'm really excited to see what the future holds for Shadowgate now, and, this game that's now up on Kickstarter, which I know they've already put a good deal of work into, looks really great. I've played through the original Shadowgate countless times already, both on NES and on the GBC port, and absolutely love it. I'm really excited to be able to have the opportunity to experience it again, with the same great gameplay that made the original so amazing, but with new and exciting things brought into the mix to make it not simply the same thing I've already played countless times before, but feeling like an entire new adventure.

Sorry that this post was so full of gushing and enthusiasm, I just really love the Shadowgate franchise, and am so excited about all of this.

Not sure how the once-through gameplay will hold up in the modern-day gaming environment with so many options to find solutions so easily and instantaneously, so I do hope they've added multiple solutions to many challenges as well as randomized or procedurally-generated puzzle setups and encounters.

The game ain't finished until you've found every exquisitely-described way to die.

Everyone who played the original should give virt's Shadowgate medley a listen.
Nice, loved how he used the room transition clip between sections :D

Not gonna lie, I fucking loved Shadowgate, but loathed the torch system. Fuck that shit, man.

I also loved Shadowgate 64, but I am one of the only ones.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh wow, that's on my list of games I would kill to see remade. I have put my money where my mouth is on this one.

My only problem is I'm hyped now, waiting a year for this will be tough. I hope it'll sail by its funding goals.

Jarlaxle

My dad loooooved Shadowgate. I have fond memoires of it and the game just seemed so dark (in a good way). I remember getting into the towers and a chirmera or something was blocking the way or maybe it was a wizard by a waterfall. Either way, I never was able to get past that spot. Tough game back in the day before the internet.

Meh, I'll just play the version I have.

:blows into cartridge
:blows into Nintendo
:inserts cartridge and springs it up and down like mad
:powers on and see the blinking screen

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I absolutely love Shadowgate and couldn't be more excited about this. Definitely wanna kick some cash in.

Maaaaan it looks boss.

Gilgamesh

The only experience I have with Shadowgate is reading the book by that one guy who wrote all those terrible adaptations of NES games. FX Something? Lol.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Pledged $30. Hope they also get to make Uninvited, Deja Vu I+II, as well as a new entry.

I have the NES, GBC, and N64 releases ;)

Ithil

I had the NES version on my Gameboy Colour, great game, awesome music. I'll probably back this, they're not asking for a massive amount really.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
The only experience I have with Shadowgate is reading the book by that one guy who wrote all those terrible adaptations of NES games. FX Something? Lol.

That book was weird, because while all of the other Worlds of Power books were goofy adaptations of the in-game events, Beyond Shadowgate was meant to be a prequel. If you play the other games in the series, there's actually a lot of lore which is never addressed in the original Shadowgate. That struck me as bizarre - it's cool that there was a lot of background world building, but so much of it was tangental so that it was almost pointless.

There was also a mobile remake of Shadowgate a few years back which added a significant number of new puzzles. I wonder if this will be based off that version.

Siyou

The game art and music from what I can tell are amazing. I think they're setting themselves up a little high with the whole card game and such on the way, but I really hope the best for this.

inm8num2

Not enough love for this going around. I always had the impression most people older than 23 or so played and loved Shadowgate, based on various forums and whatnot.

I really hope this makes it.

Link1110

Meh, I'll just play the version I have.

:blows into cartridge
:blows into Nintendo
:inserts cartridge and springs it up and down like mad
:powers on and see the blinking screen

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I was always super careful, preferring not to blow into carts if they had saves because once I blew into a Dragon Warrior cart, and the saves were gone. Could've been coincidence, but I never wanted to risk it.

Top Bottom