• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowgate Kickstarter

terrisus

Would have rather seen a new game in the Shadowgate style, but at least they're adding some new things for this one.

They've discussed that, aside from what they're doing with this one, they want to do other stuff with the Shadowgate franchise as well. In particular mentioning that, with Beyond Shadowgate, before it got turned into a sidescroller for the TurboDuo, they had piles of plans for a sequel that would have been more similar to the style of the original Shadowgate, and that they'd like to make that become a reality.

So, a whole bunch of exciting things becoming possible now that the Shadowgate rights are not only out of limbo/the void, but back in some really good hands. Exciting things happening now.

inm8num2

I think a re-imagining is required before doing a full on new game. Had they gone all in for a larger, more ambitious project it'd have greater potential to fail.

But if Shadowgate succeeds and does well critically and commercially, then Zojoi will be able to pitch a "bigger" game.

I could imagine an Amnesia-type game if money wasn't an issue. At the same time, pitching a game like that is quite challenging because you have to distinguish it from Amnesia.

Teppic

Just now noticed that they also acquired the licenses for Deja Vu and Uninvited. Maybe something is in store for them too, why would they otherwise obtain them?

Siyou

I really hope Shadowgate can make it. The art looks amazing, but even moreso the passion that these guys have put into this, it's astounding. Meeting up just to talk shadowgate and create scenarios and stories of it. I mean, these guys WANT Shadowgate more than it seems. I hope these guys get a chance to show the world a new shadowgate. =)

inm8num2

Yea I'm really pulling for them - they deserve it. Plus, I feel bad that Sherlock Holmes didn't make it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why more people haven't supported Shadowgate. Surely there are plenty of fans of the game. Maybe they don't know about the kickstarter?

border

I hope this game makes it, and I hope Hero-U makes it as well.

But I think we may be approaching the point where Kickstarter money has kind dried up.

Ledsen

I hope this game makes it, and I hope Hero-U makes it as well.

But I think we may be approaching the point where Kickstarter money has kind dried up.

Nah. It's just that these are pretty niche games for a very small crowd of nostalgic 80s kids.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Tsezcm8yA

YES

I think this one will make it. 70% done with more than a week left? Yeah, the final push will save it I think, might be close though. Won't be backing it personally though, to me the chiptunes are a big part of what makes the game great. Bombastic orchestra? No thanks.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Anybody else think that the music loses a lot in the transition to a more modern sound? The NES version is really eerie. The new version is....eh.

inm8num2

I agree the NES music is much more eerie and atmospheric.

The new music is well done but feels too "epic", or maybe too "sweeping" or even "majestic".

I think this one will make it. 70% done with more than a week left? Yeah, the final push will save it I think, might be close though. Won't be backing it personally though, to me the chiptunes are a big part of what makes the game great. Bombastic orchestra? No thanks.

I believe you can switch to chiptunes.

shadowgate kickstarter said:
•8-bit Score: A second retro soundtrack featuring Hiroyuki Masuno's original NES composition

tmarques

Uninvited I remember. I think. Was it at all related to the Elvira game?

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of The Legacy. Guess I'm not as old as some of you guys.

border

Hero-U is $80K away from their goal, with less than 48 hours to go. If they can pull it off, I will be a lot more optimistic about Shadowgate.

I often kinda wonder how many of these "big final pushes" aren't just the developers themselves pledging money to hit a goal. Or maybe they already negotiated huge investments with 3rd parties, and those 3rd parties don't donate until they have raked as much in from the general public as-is possible.

SparkTR

Hero-U is $80K away from their goal, with less than 48 hours to go. If they can pull it off, I will be a lot more optimistic about Shadowgate.

I often kinda wonder how many of these "big final pushes" aren't just the developers themselves pledging money to hit a goal. Or maybe they already negotiated huge investments with 3rd parties, and those 3rd parties don't donate until they have raked as much in from the general public as-is possible.

You don't get big pledges during the final hours, but lots of smaller ones as well as people upgrading existing pledges. If they can make hundreds or thousands of separate accounts each with their own unique credit card info to pledge to their game, I'll be impressed.

cj_iwakura

Officially the second KS I've backed. (First being Shadowrun, funny about that)
Class of Heroes 2 failed, doesn't count

Live, dang it. :(

Shockingly, Pier Solar HD's done better than this.

inm8num2

Stretch goals!

image-184151-full.jpg

terrisus

Really hoping this makes it. It's cutting it close, but the past couple of days have been pretty good, and, with it so close... Got to at least make it to that $120,000 mark.

As I said earlier in this topic, I absolutely love Shadowgate, and, the most important thing about all of this really is that, after so many years of the franchise being in limbo and the possibility of it being lost completely, that two of the people who have been involved in it all along still have the same passion for it and want to bring it back is amazing. Definitely hope this gets the support that it needs, and continues to going forward.

terrisus

Oh, and some nifty add-ons just got... added on.
Shirts and more wallpapers and Sherlock Holmes games and additional copies of stuff and such.

Really wish I had more to be able to put in, since there's a bunch of stuff I want on there (including the card game, which I think I'll probably end up bumping myself up to that tier to get as well).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I had the NES version as a kid, and I didn't know WTF I was suppose to do. So much so that I never made it out of the 2nd room for over a year because I didn't realize how to find the key for the door in the 2nd room! LOL

This game wrecked my young 9 yo brain. LOL

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I had the NES version as a kid, and I didn't know WTF I was suppose to do. So much so that I never made it out of the 2nd room for over a year because I didn't realize how to find the key for the door in the 2nd room! LOL

This game wrecked my young 9 yo brain. LOL

My first experience with the game was around 20 years ago when I was 9 or 10. Was on a camp and being a shy kid I kept my distanced from everyone and just looked around with some apprehension.
Saw these kids playing an NES, I don't remember which games, but the game I do remember was Shadowgate. I watched as they put the game on and then spend the next 5 mins stuck on the first screen not knowing how to get through the door. For some reason I was drawn to it, I think I saw something they didn't see, so when they all left to go outside I snuck back in and sat down with the game. I don't remember how far I got, not much further than a few screens I'd assume, but I've loved the game ever since.

Vyse

Gold Member
Loved this game. Played on the NES with my sister in law. Getting closer to hitting their goal. Hope it makes it!

cj_iwakura

Yep, I think it's going to get there. I'd hate to see my third donated one fail. I'd be two against one. :(
(Shadowrun made it, CoH 2 failed, but that was kind of doomed.)

border

I've mentioned it already, but I'm still a little aghast that it's a $60 minimum pledge for anyone wanting an iOS/Android version. I thought they would have fixed that within the early days of the campaign, especially since this seems like the type of game well-suited to mobile platforms.

I would have gladly thrown down 10 or 20 bucks for iOS Shadowgate. Maybe they don't want to give away the PC/Mac version PLUS the iOS/Android version for only $20, but isn't there some way for them to prevent that?

Top Bottom