• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaiju Combat Kickstarter 2.0 from the team behind Atari Godzilla games ($100k goal)

Takao

Banned
Kickstarter Page:

Over the summer the team ran a previous Kickstarter but they bailed out after it was clear their $350k goal was too ambitious.

Game Features:

7PMbe.jpg

Tornaq - one of our original monster concepts (art by Matt Frank)

*1-4 player battles in awesome environments.
*Frequent releases of new content (monsters, stories, game modes) which can be mixed & matched with your existing content, or purchased as stand-alone products!
*Our first Kaiju Combat release will feature Kaiju concepts submitted by our backers. Check out the reward tiers!
*Future releases will feature monsters such as Gamera, Ultraman, Godzilla, Zone Fighter, Stay-Puft, Cthulhu, and plenty more originals!
*Online matchmaking & tournament play. LAN support too.
*DRM-free PC release (console release date TBA, as funding allows)
*Dynamic grappling, melee, ranged weapons, flight, burrowing, teleportation, dizzies, air combos, OTG hits, reversals, parries, super moves & more!

Development Staff:

We've got a world-class team of professionals to make Kaiju Combat the best game it can possibly be, including most of the key talent from the classic Pipeworks/Atari Godzilla games. But the most important contributions to the game will be made by direct design discussions between the dev team and our contributors!

The dev team includes:

Simon Strange - Owner of Sunstone Games, LLC. Simon is a 15-year veteran of the video game industry with nearly 20 console titles under his belt, including Rampage: Total Destruction, Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, Army of 2, Tony Hawk, and the Deadliest Warrior series.

Of course, Simon is best known for designing the combat & controls of giant monster fighting games such as Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, Rampage: Total Destruction and the classic Godzilla: Save the Earth.

Matt Frank - Kaiju Artist extraordinaire, Matt Frank started at IDW comics with The Beast Wars Sourcebook and Transformers Animated: The Rise of Safeguard. You can follow him at deviant art and mattfrankart.com

q2TNn.jpg

Matt hit the big time (literally BIG!) with the smashing-success of Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters, providing covers for the entire run of the series. Matt went on to co-write and draw the first issue of Godzilla: Legends, and provide covers for the new IDW Godzilla ongoing series.

Matt's also no stranger to games. He's worked extensively with Chaotic Moon Studios on iOS projects such as Age of Booty, contributing both in-game illustrations and conceptual work.

LMbyQ.jpg

Macrosaurus - an original character for Kaiju Combat (art by Matt Frank)

Bob Eggleton - Bob is a Hugo award-winning fantasy/SF artist who works on both publishing projects and film concept work. You can see some of his work here. Godzilla fans will recognize Bob's work from comics, posters, and other famous illustrations stretching back at least 20 years!

ZpQVI.jpg

(Godzilla image by Bob Eggleton)

Monster Roster:

Kaiju Combat is a framework upon which we plan to build several stand-alone games. If you own multiple Kaiju Combat products, you will be able to mix and match their content - both offline and on! We plan to launch in September 2013 with two distinct products:

1 - A free online fighting game with one environment and 4 licensed Kaijuland monsters. (copyright Kaiju Empire, LLC.) Check out the monsters here.

2 - A retail game featuring a robust single-player story, multiple environments, and original monsters designed by our backers. Check out some of the monsters our backers have already created here.

WAIT - ISN'T THIS A GODZILLA GAME?

We would all love to work with the Godzilla franchise again, and we're building Kaiju Combat with a clear vision of incorporating Toho monsters when we can. Unfortunately, the Godzilla video game license will not be available for at least another year. (We have a friendly rapport with Toho, and communicate with them regularly.) As soon as it becomes available, we are first in line to bid on acquiring it.

Likewise, we have already established communication with the owners of other major monster franchises (Gamera, Ultraman, etc.) and are scheduling future Kaiju Combat releases around those franchises.

WILL THERE BE MORE ORIGINAL MONSTERS IN KAIJU COMBAT?

Yes, we absolutely have plans to continue making original monsters for Kaiju Combat. Ideally we would have one release each year featuring original monsters, and one featuring a new monster license. Our only restriction for monster submissions is that Matt & Simon must work with you directly to make sure that your monster fits the necessary parameters of scale, complexity, and good taste. See our monster submission FAQ for more details.

Thanks for the heads up Lenbo!

JDSN

Banned
This again? Pretty weird that they suddenly decided that they need only 1/3 of what they asked the last time. Not to mention having their backers make some monsters.

Takao

Banned
This again? Pretty weird that they suddenly decided that they need only 1/3 of what they asked the last time. Not to mention having their backers make some monsters.

IIRC the initial pitch always included fan made designs for monsters. As for the budget cut back, well I think they're going to be doing a much more restrictive game than initially planned.

Lenbo

Neo Member
I believe they've secured some strategic partnerships to help them make up the difference. Namely Kaijuland, a Facebook app made by Kaiju Empire.

Wiktor

IIRC the initial pitch always included fan made designs for monsters. As for the budget cut back, well I think they're going to be doing a much more restrictive game than initially planned.

Yes. AFAIR it was supposed to be full blown game before. Now they're going for the free core game with few monsters and then buyable DLCs with new monsters and maps, which is much more feasible goal.

Lenbo

Neo Member
Yes. AFAIR it was supposed to be full blown game before. Now they're going for the free core game with few monsters and then buyable DLCs with new monsters and maps, which is much more feasible goal.
Not quite. It's still a full-blown game featuring original monsters designed by backers AND there will also be a free game featuring 4 monsters from Kaijuland.

And the later releases won't technically be DLC in the traditional sense. More along the lines of "stand-alone expansions" like THQ has done. You won't need to own any other games.

The original plan was for the initial release to feature Godzilla, but Toho sold the license to someone else for the time being. Sunstone still plans on making a Godzilla title when the license becomes available again.

Mr. Strange

Neo Member

That $250,000 difference is the price of the Godzilla license. Since we are now planning to launch with user-designed monsters, we were able to drop our funding goal to match.

Plus, that means we get awesome characters like Moratitan in early, which seems like a double-win to me.

Mr. Strange

Neo Member
It'd be something if they manage to get Ultraman VS Godzilla for real.

We can't guarantee it, but we're working hard to make that happen. Our art director was in Japan last week, working on building a relationship with the Ultraman folks. The Toho license will absolutely happen given another year or two - they're too smart to leave money on the table like that.

The multi-release vision is what makes the crossovers possible. We'll never do a "Godzilla vs. Ultraman" game, but we CAN make an Ultraman game which is 100% compatible with a separate Godzilla game... and if you play the characters against one another that's totally legit. It's similar to buying Batman legos, and also buying Star Wars legos so you can have Batman fight Darth Vader.

RM8

I've never played any of the Godzilla fighters... and they sound/look amazing. Fighting with huge monsters while destroying cities? Yes. I kind of want to play one now. Any recommendations?

Lenbo

Neo Member
I've never played any of the Godzilla fighters... and they sound/look amazing. Fighting with huge monsters while destroying cities? Yes. I kind of want to play one now. Any recommendations?
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (GC/Xbox) is still a great deal of fun as was shown on the latest Game Grumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZH84hoNB4

The sequel, Godzilla: Save the Earth for Xbox/PS2 is widely considered the best in terms of gameplay. It had 18 diverse, playable monsters. Kaiju Combat will be a sequel of sorts to it gameplay-wise.

The Wii version of Godzilla: Unleashed (the last Atari-produced Godzilla game) had the most monsters if that's what your looking for. 26 in all. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but it's pretty fun. Being able to play as Biollante is awesome.

RM8

Yikes, it seems like they're all fun for different reasons. I'll buy the one that is the easiest to find. Thanks!

massoluk

Banned
We can't guarantee it, but we're working hard to make that happen. Our art director was in Japan last week, working on building a relationship with the Ultraman folks. The Toho license will absolutely happen given another year or two - they're too smart to leave money on the table like that.

The multi-release vision is what makes the crossovers possible. We'll never do a "Godzilla vs. Ultraman" game, but we CAN make an Ultraman game which is 100% compatible with a separate Godzilla game... and if you play the characters against one another that's totally legit. It's similar to buying Batman legos, and also buying Star Wars legos so you can have Batman fight Darth Vader.

So basically, this is Kaiju HeroClix. :D

Lenbo

Neo Member
That's a good analogy! Should use that.

Too bad HeroClix didn't actually make a kaiju-themed release.

The worst part is, we were outbid for it! (Probably from someone associated with the Legendary Pictures film)

Good. At least someone has it. I would be so cool to get a big console Godzilla release again!

Mr. Strange is there any way you can descripe the tempo of the gameplay? As much as I loved the Godzilla games at the time, they play very clunky when you go back to them today.

How would you describe Kaiju combat's fighting system? If you can elaborate, of course.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey Simon. Not sure you remember me (probably not), but we exchanged some e-mails about five years ago after I gave Godzilla Unleashed a...less than positive review at Siliconera (they were friendly e-mails, in case anyone's wondering!). I think you had promised me an interview on your next project once it was announced, but I left Siliconera before that could happen. :lol Just wanted to drop in and say that I really like what you're doing here, and I sincerely hope you guys are successful. I'd love to see a truly great kaiju fighter, especially one with the potential for cross-franchise matches. So yeah, good luck! :D

give me a big power ranger type of thing and I'm all in (morph into a giant robot...but a creature version of that)

i thought all the monsters were female for a sec

Lenbo

Neo Member
Is Wii U being considered if this comes to consoles?
Yes. The engine being used for Kaiju Combat called Spigot (by Pipeworks Software) has been adapted to the Wii U and all other major platforms.

So it's likely at some point after the PC release we'll see this on Wii U.

Yes. The engine being used for Kaiju Combat called Spigot (by Pipeworks Software) has been adapted to the Wii U and all other major platforms.

So it's likely at some point after the PC release we'll see this on Wii U.

I sure as hell hope so! :D

BTW are you part of the team? And are these guys still tied with Pipeworks?

Riposte

Thought everyone might like to see Duncan the... Big Green Kangaroo...

https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/_attach/1.0/265e0096626dbf25d778b07d55718c6c9ece6500d2ba5d8a/kc-duncan-hero-colored-small.jpg[IMG]

You can read more about his fighting style and comic timing here:

[URL="https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/Duncan.html"]https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/Duncan.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

So they are going after [I]that demographic[/I]. Well, you know what they say, sex sells.

Lenbo

Neo Member
I sure as hell hope so! :D

BTW are you part of the team? And are these guys still tied with Pipeworks?
No, but I am definitely a backer and have been following the project since its inception on the Toho Kingdom forums. Most of the discussion has moved to the community site now. It's got quite a lively bunch now. Great if you're a fan of Godzilla, kaiju artwork, or game development:

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index.php

Many of the same people from the Pipeworks team will be working on this, yes.

No, but I am definitely a backer and have been following the project since its inception on the Toho Kingdom forums. Most of the discussion has moved to the community site now. It's got quite a lively bunch now. Great if you're a fan of Godzilla, kaiju artwork, or game development:

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index.php

Many of the same people from the Pipeworks team will be working on this, yes.

But are they now permanently out of Pipeworks? I guess Pipeworks is now a shell of its former self?

Also, I made a thread a week ago about a Wii U port of Unleashed, would Atari/Toho/Pipeworks want to do that?

Lenbo

Neo Member
But are they now permanently out of Pipeworks? I guess Pipeworks is now a shell of its former self?

Also, I made a thread a week ago about a Wii U port of Unleashed, would Atari/Toho/Pipeworks want to do that?
I can't speak to all of that, but considering an unknown entity has the Godzilla license for the time being, it's unlikely we'll be seeing any Godzilla releases from Atari.

Although I would love to see a Wii U port of Unleashed myself.

I can't speak to all of that, but considering an unknown entity has the Godzilla license for the time being, it's unlikely we'll be seeing any Godzilla releases from Atari.

Although I would love to see a Wii U port of Unleashed myself.

Are you able to get a hold of the powers that may be to convince them to do it?

Might not help since you don't know who has the license...

Lenbo

Neo Member
give me a big power ranger type of thing and I'm all in (morph into a giant robot...but a creature version of that)

i thought all the monsters were female for a sec
Artist Frankie B. Washington fulfilled your dream already:

429545_466376473408169_2068435310_n.jpg

Robot God Akamatsu fighting Macrosaurus

Top Bottom