• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GODUS (Populous reinvention) Kickstarter by 22cans [Ended, £526K Funded]

Minsc

Gold Member
And the thread's back, discuss away. :) Just needed to avoid having a thread created/maintained by someone who's on the team behind the kickstarter itself, so there's no conflict of interest issues. The project does obviously have strong roots going back to a nice collection of games. So bring the skepticism and updates and whatever else. Now a little overview:

Project GODUS kickstarter page - A reinvention of the god game Populous

Game Details
Project GODUS Kickstarter said:
- It’s a living world, unique and detailed. And it’s a world you influence, whether you’re good or evil.
- GODUS is instantly accessible, easy to learn but immensely deep.
- As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
- GODUS draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.
- Plus you get to be a god. In fact, play well and you get to be the ultimate god!
- GODUS will be developed for the PC and Mobile devices, we hope to be able to add more platforms as our Kickstarter campaign progresses.

317dcde6cb8b770607c54386fbb82733_large.png

b570c4eb209d4574e87080697bfd3d7f_large.png

Why Kickstarter?

With GODUS we want to make a game in a culture of openness, co-operation and honesty. Creating a game involves imagination and passion, and we’re keen to share the experience. So we want to make GODUS with you watching and, we hope, participating. Funding it via Kickstarter allows us to stay a small independent team with unlimited freedom in our creativity. It’ll just be you, us and our unbridled dedication (no publishers).

You see, although GODUS is a new idea, we’re keen to return to the spirit which started it all. In 1989, in a small, cramped office in Guildford, England, a hard-working and enthusiastic duo experimented, collaborated, took risks and came up with Populous, a game which would become a legend and which would launch the god game genre.

We’re going to make GODUS in that same spirit. And your support will enable you to be involved at every stage as we share everything we do and learn with you. We’ll produce video diaries, blogs, live streams, developer chats and a great deal more. We aim to end up with a truly delightful game and as you play it, you’ll be able to say that you also played your part in its very creation.

We’ll fund an experienced team of 22 people to make GODUS. That’s not a big team – we’re doing this efficiently. But we’re committed to quality, so we’ll create outstanding gameplay, characters, artwork, animations, sound and music, and the very world itself. With your help we’ll turn our great idea into successful reality.

We need £450,000 to do this. Yes, games typically cost more than that to maket, but we’re sticking to a small, highly effective team and we’ll be employing careful management to keep the project on track and get the most out of our funding.

Project:
- GODUS will take seven to nine months to complete
- If [they] exceed the amount of funding [they're] asking for, [they’ll] use the extra to enhance the game further and support additional platforms
- Experienced team of 22 people working on it

- KICKSTARTER
- 22 Cans
- @pmolyneux

Just to be clear, the £15 reward tier can be the mobile/iOS version correct? Or is that PC only as is usually the case?

As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
Bummer. I was hoping for a more relaxing Populous/From Dust style game.

Someone said Peter had a multiplayer Populus demo on his laptop at GDC or E3 a year or two ago but he couldn't show it because EA executives were in the audience. Sounds like they're just taking that somewhere.

I really dig the polygonal art.

JoshHood

I'm sorry, but with Curiosity 22Cans proved that they don't know what they're doing financially (premium, but then still having to ask for help). There's no way, even ignoring Molyneux's background with over-promising and under-dilivering, I'm giving them any of my money.

Acosta

BTW Sam, so what's this, the second experiment? I thought you were planning 22 small projects in your way of gaming Nirvana.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SamVT is Sam Van Tilburgh ya nongs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
15 pounds is pretty steep for a project at such an early stage of development, even considering the pedigree in the genre.

mik83kuu

Banned
So Peter Molyneux's new team 22 Cans just announced their second "experiment" or w/e they call them, called "Godus" (Kickstarter here)

Has Peter Molyneux become more humble as a developer? He says "I won't promise anything. I just want to deliver the glory of the old days..." and five seconds later the video fades in a slide saying "Change the Nature of Gaming" LOL :-D

Am I looking too much into it? Maybe. What do you think?

Edit: Another thread for the kickstarter got closed but I guessed it was due to the thread being started by 22 Cans themselves. I don't affiliate with any developers or gaming media so I hope I'm safe. Don't shoot the messenger etc. etc. (Close and ban if not approved)

Kickstarter info:

8315492ed74c3d5f4883cb4155ab81aa_large.png

Game:
- It’s an innovative reinvention of Populous.
- GODUS will use the most modern technology the world has to offer. (lol?)
- It’s a living world, unique and detailed. And it’s a world you influence, whether you’re good or evil.
- Delivers exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction.
- GODUS is instantly accessible, easy to learn but immensely deep.
- As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
- GODUS draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.
- Plus you get to be a god. In fact, play well and you get to be the ultimate god!
- GODUS will be developed for the PC and Mobile devices, we hope to be able to add more platforms as our Kickstarter campaign progresses.

Project:
- GODUS will take seven to nine months to complete
- If [they] exceed the amount of funding [they're] asking for, [they’ll] use the extra to enhance the game further and support additional platforms
- Experienced team of 22 people working on it

- KICKSTARTER
- 22 Cans
- @pmolyneux

Perkel

Banned
Looks like 22Cans will be new Bullfrog.

FUCK YES BACKED !

After this Dungeon Keeper 3 spiritual succesor please !

Acosta

I love Molyneux. The dude is entertaining. Also he made some great games.

Best interviews in the industry too and some of his games are my favourite ever (and the flawed ones are still much more interesting that many AAA).

BTW, was the Godus thread closed? I guess it was considered spam or something... Mods is there some way to talk about it in a thread like other KS? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in playing a multiplayer Populous.

Molyneux do something smart ffs.

- Start a kickstarter to buy Dungeon Keeper IP.
- Develop a retale of the first Dungeon Keeper.
- ????
- Profit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Best interviews in the industry too and some of his games are my favourite ever (and the flawed ones are still much more interesting that many AAA).

BTW, was the Godus thread closed?

I think so...probably because while it's no doubt of interest, it was advertising, strictly speaking.

Has Peter Molyneux become more humble as a developer?

From the 5,000 pound pledge:

GOD OF GODS - You’ll receive a once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit E3; The Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles in June 2013. You’ve arrive there as the guest of honour of Peter Molyneux and the 22cans team. You’ll be given a coveted VIP pass and will, should you wish, agree to be interviewed with Peter for G4 TV. E3 is the world’s leading electronics show. Chances like this to attend as a VIP with developers of the calibre of 22cans are of course extremely rare. Flights and accommodation are included. Plus you also get everything a DEITY gets (excluding the jewellery).

Nope. Still incredibly arrogant.

Edit: Another thread for the kickstarter got closed but I guessed it was due to the thread being started by 22 Cans themselves. I don't affiliate with any developers or gaming media so I hope I'm safe. Don't shoot the messenger etc. etc. (Close and ban if not approved)
That would be my guess as well.

I´m in for £15 at least. Always liked his games (execept B&W2 and Fable 3), and I´ve never felt hurt about him being enthusiastic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yeah another mod locked it since we don't approve self-advertisement threads without explicit approval from EviLore.

This thread is inherently fine, and SamVT is certainly welcome to post in it.

This sounded great until I read this

As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.

That's not what I want out of a game like this. I'd rather it be a more relaxing experience like the original Populous or From Dust.

Acosta

If this is kickstarted over Maia I'm going to knock over a magazine rack with my floaty disembodied hand.

Maia looks interesting but overambitious (Dungeon Keeper, Dwarf Fortress!). And honestly, for a god game I would put my faith more in Peter Molyneux than in Simon Roth, call me crazy.

(I hope Maia makes it and I have it on watch in case I can help, but let's be realistic, experience counts).

Mmm... no thanks. It doesn't seem there is much to the game yet to be already asking for funding.

That's pretty much the way with almost all high profile Kickstarters. Generally they can get funding with name recognition and a good idea alone. Others have to pony up something actually half-decent to see time of day, or they'll be consigned to the dustbin of apathy (see: Sui Generis, Interstellar Marines, possibly Maia etc)

Say what you like about Molyneux, but he has a pretty big following for his old stuff. I haven't met a gamer alive who doesn't love and tolerate the shit out of Theme Hospital, for example.

I'll be following this one, but the prices on the pledge tiers seem a bit...off...

JDSN

Banned
High price of entry despite the supposed pedigree, the point of kickstarter is support people who dont have the money to make their projects, not gaming industry's George Lucas.

Top Bottom